PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Threat to the PSP Homebrew Scene Is Coming - Sonys PS1 Emu

wraggster
July 3rd, 2006, 20:09
Sony are soon to reveal their PS1 Emulator for the PSP which could support up to 7000 games and if they price it right then will most people who enjoy Homebrew as it is now be tempted to update to a new firmware which could kill homebrew for the foreseable future.

All the firmware updates so far have offered us little apart from Flash and the lockouts to Homebrew but to use an Emulator to lock out homebrew could be the smartest move yet by Sony, the PS1 is what most teenagers and slightly above grew up with and is quite a weapon against homebrew.

My Question to you is this, if Sony release the emulator and it runs good enough and cheap enough will you upgrade to a new homebrew killing firmware ?

bullhead
July 3rd, 2006, 20:12
Well someone is bound to release a firmware emulator doing the same job as Devhook, so we may not be totallay screwed.

PoorWhiteTrash
July 3rd, 2006, 20:16
I would not risk losing 1.5 for PS1. Not now, not ever. Sony can keep their emu to themselves.

stotheamuel
July 3rd, 2006, 20:19
if someone could confirm the modchip works or i get a second psp

Larry
July 3rd, 2006, 20:22
the modchip does work, installed and used it myself.
But get it professionally done, dont do it yourself.

the ps1 emu, someones bound to make a homebrewn version of it. and ya, a devhook type program will probably be out and about to use

migsgiz
July 3rd, 2006, 20:23
me too, ill get the modchip or a new psp.
my 1.50 is staying the way it is!

mat_dizzy
July 3rd, 2006, 20:26
i am not upgrading for a ps1 emulator in threat of loosing emulators and homebrew!

i will possibly buy another psp

Edshugeo
July 3rd, 2006, 20:26
My answer's no. It might tempt me to get my PSP modded, provided that can be done cheaply enough. I do look forward to playing Jumping Flash on my PSP... one way or another.

mat_dizzy
July 3rd, 2006, 20:29
indeed, the other thing is i'd rather support the homebrew psx emulators in the making off!

homebrew will never die! and i for one am supporting it 100%

sappo
July 3rd, 2006, 20:30
DevHook RULEZ XD

Accordion
July 3rd, 2006, 20:33
ill never update...(i think)
but i would consider either chipping or buying a new psp, but only if sony do what i think they will and only let you download the update straight to your psp and thus sign it to mac address or whatever causing the update to be corrupt on other psp consoles.

otherwise devhook!!

Hungry Horace
July 3rd, 2006, 20:33
yep, i'd consider modding, but even that's unlikely!

i've only *just* got fw 1.5.... like i'm suddenly gonna jump up firmwares for playing (a decent) Tomb Raider on my psp! ha! i've got my ps2, so if i really wanna play a ps1 game, i can use that!

i'm sure the devhook chaps will sort something out for running on fw1.5... afterall, i'm sure they would like to try the ps1 games out too!

kersplatty
July 3rd, 2006, 20:34
we could find a way to make hombrew as isos run:D

Sumo X
July 3rd, 2006, 20:37
I wouldn't update. I think the reason is that a PSX emulator is of no interest to me simply because I didn't even own one. I don't have fond memories of playing a certain game, and most games from the console have a sequel on a newer console.

The only one I would've been interested in playing is Ape Escape, which was my first game for the PSP.

mavsman4457
July 3rd, 2006, 20:39
I haven't given up faith in the homebrew community yet. Also, at some point it will come down to N64, gameboy, snes, gba, nes, and all of those emulators which you can use your already owned games for plus maybe a homemade PS1 vs. Sony's pay-to-play emu.

Combustolux
July 3rd, 2006, 20:46
no
i hope someone cracks the ps1 emu

iniquitous_beast
July 3rd, 2006, 20:48
I'll probably just buy a second psp. That is the only current way to ensure the best of both worlds.

If the ps1 emulator has a good enough game offering, then yes, I will update. Once regret finally sets in, I'll buy a 1.5 off of ebay.

sroon
July 3rd, 2006, 20:53
HELLZ NO!!
Silly Sony Diccks are or chicks!

emuking
July 3rd, 2006, 20:54
just buy another psp people its a portable ps1 for gods sake its worth it, by the way pspupdates is dead yaaaaaay!!!!!

lucidtraveller
July 3rd, 2006, 20:56
nothing could make me even consider upgrading..... nothing!!!!
another psp yes, but not upgrade!

snkrock25
July 3rd, 2006, 20:56
undoubtedly. If the PSP had a good enough variety of games from the beginning, I would never wanted to discover this site in the first place. Not to mention the PS1 is what put me on this bandwagon like 10yrs ago...

IndianCheese
July 3rd, 2006, 20:57
I will update my sister's and buy games for it!

(Yes, girls play PSP, too.)

ShelbyGT500
July 3rd, 2006, 20:59
Never! even if I bought another PSP I wouldnt upgrade it!

pokothehobo
July 3rd, 2006, 20:59
within a year (prolly less) i think the 1.5 crew will be able to use it.

scoota33
July 3rd, 2006, 21:05
why would i sacrifice ALL the current emulators for 1 emulator? im a child of the 80's sure i had a PS1 but i also had an atari 2600, c64 , megadrive , snes, gba so i dont see the point of giving up all those. not to mention that being in australia it probably wont come for some time after its release and by then someone will have cracked whatever firmware is needed for it ;)

shinysuitman
July 3rd, 2006, 21:14
guys, you know that because of this annoucement that psp coders are going to have a field day with the new software that comes out for the psx emulator. we may not have it as fast, but hastiness will always kill in the end

Night-Wolf
July 3rd, 2006, 21:14
A PS1 emulator will never be a threat for homebrew.By upgrading we'll be losing a hell of a load on our PSP's, after all there's so many really cool stuff in the homebrew scene like applications and emulators that work 100%.Homebrew on the PSP is just so amazing, why would we want to lose all that? Just because of a few recent games and a PS1 emu that's gonna charge us to play games that most of us probably already have? Besides, there's certainly gonna be another devhook or similar that will let us emulate the new firmware,so it's really not worth upgrading.

ssbm_04
July 3rd, 2006, 21:19
I won't upgrade. Worse case senario if I'm dying to play any ps1 games. I'll just save a couple hundred bucks and buy another psp. But... If the cost of buying or downloading the games turns out to be more expensive than I thought. I think somebody will crack the ps1 emulator so everyone with fw 1.5 can enjoy the same benefits as the newer version. :D

YourStillWithMe
July 3rd, 2006, 21:25
the first reply said it best devhook people thats what im saying im sure in time we will be able to emulate the 3.00 firmware i mean no one thought that we could emulate the 2.50! think about that get a location freeplayer without having to upgrade? Sweet it wont happen quickly but within time, i have no doubts it will anyone know if the developer of devhook is working on a new release? i know most of us are hoping so! (including me)

benh
July 3rd, 2006, 21:27
Im not that bothered about other emulators because, I dont really like nintendo emulators and games.

I also use flash homebrew which is really great, so I could have the emulator and I will have homebrew. plus I already have FW 2.71

So to conclude I will definatly update as soon as the new update with the emulator comes out

The_It
July 3rd, 2006, 21:31
Sony Wants Your Money!!! $ :D $

Shadowblind
July 3rd, 2006, 21:38
Some1 should send this thread to Sony, maybe listening to all the I WONT UPGRADE complaints will make them relize, for more money they should send it out for 1.5.

ExcruciationX
July 3rd, 2006, 21:43
I will never upgrade my PSP, because of the wonderful homebrew. I wasn't a PSONE owner back in the day, but I did own an N64, so I am awaiting the UltraHLE for PSP (if it's real).

The_It
July 3rd, 2006, 21:43
Can't someone just make their own playstation emulator? Make one that is FREE? Make one that doesn't need new firmware? If Sony is actually gonna sell a ps1 emulator for the psp, you know its possible to make one that will run games at full speed.

ExcruciationX
July 3rd, 2006, 21:50
Can't someone just make their own playstation emulator? Make one that is FREE? Make one that doesn't need new firmware?
I think someone is attempting one, it is on the frontpage.

gotmilk0112
July 3rd, 2006, 21:55
if we were to run the next firmware with DevHook, how would we get a dump of the firmware? :(

I AM STAYING WITH 1.50 (after i downgrade my 2.60 :D ) and sony selling 1.50's would make sony get less money because they make money off the GAMES not the system and if they sell 1.50's that means more ISO users (DAMN THEM ALL) and that means less game sales and that means less money for poor poor $$$$$$$$$ony.

benh
July 3rd, 2006, 21:59
Iv heard that that the actual emulator will be free it is the games that will cost

dtothabreezy
July 3rd, 2006, 22:03
i have no doubt that will find away around some how may it be devhook or our own emulator cant we jus dump thier emulator and recode it for 1.5

ExcruciationX
July 3rd, 2006, 22:04
Sony Wants Your Money!!! $ :D $
LOL! (Please tell me, if you don't want me posting only a LOL)

felonyr301
July 3rd, 2006, 22:19
ohh please the games are not going to be cheap the hot sellers are going to be a hefty price sony is greedy look at the ps3 and given what financial situation they are in they banking on the idea that just cause its playstation it will sell alot no matter the price.Expect the games to be priced between 15 to 30 bucks depending on how "good" the game is like hot sellers will be priced higher than unknown games just you wait.

qwerty69
July 3rd, 2006, 22:50
If Sony release a ps1 emu, the firmware that they release it on is guna do hardware checks for things like the modchip, and other checks could look for devhook...so i don't know...i might have to buy another psp again when this comes out in october...

ps: no i would not give up homebrew for this emu, jwhy not download a px1 emu 4 pc and use bittorrent to get some games...ha

uranidiot
July 3rd, 2006, 22:51
Wait A Minute. Can Someone Clear This Up For Me. lets Say I Get My Psp Mod Chip.

can I Update To The New Firmware To Get The New Ps1 Emu From Sony While Keeping My Old Homebrew

If So Then The Mod Chip Solves All My Problems.

REMEMBER SONY:
O-Qua Tangin Wann, Qua-un Sa, Laji-wann

crystlshadow
July 3rd, 2006, 22:54
Like many have said... Upgrading is not an issue if you own 2 PSP's. So i will update one of my PSP's, however the price per download has to be right. I don't see myself downloading any PS1 game for more than $5 for the sake of playing it on the PSP. Unless one of our very clever gifted coders can develop a program to make images of the PS1 titles we already own!

SteveV2
July 3rd, 2006, 23:02
If Sony is actually gonna sell a ps1 emulator for the psp, you know its possible to make one that will run games at full speed.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Would be nice to see PSX up and running and would be so sweet to have someone here code it better than Sonys effort.

Either way, millions won't know about a free one and Sony will make a few more £$£$.

V3N0M
July 3rd, 2006, 23:11
Hell no! Trust me what sony doesn't know is we'll soon be enjoying sony new firmware and homebrew. You can't not look at psp homebrew history and tell me homebrew is not going to find its way onto new firmware. One method or another. Everyone will have the best of both worlds. Either it be Dev Hook, Downgrader, New Exploit. Just have patients. Trust me i have had patients and only good things have come from it.

wiot
July 3rd, 2006, 23:32
NOt that tempting...

losing the goodness of 1.5 firmware? NEVER

ANd someone will probably write a homebrew emulator or something.

CANT STOP US SONY!!!

Anger
July 4th, 2006, 00:03
well...i think it could tempt me but, like the wii, i would resent paying twice for a game i already owned. so for me it wouldnt matter how cheap it was because i wouldnt pay twice out of principle. now if they charged maybe a fixed price to access the entire catalogue as long as the price was decent (and i know sony - it wont be) i would definetly upgrade with no hesitation. and as mentioned when it happens second hand psp's will be dirt cheap (relativly) meaning i could still have homebrew. and all this doent even take into account the modchip. if it will be possible to have the modchip and have the psp emulator firmware at the same time that would be heaven but sony are not daft - they will find a way to block/detect/kill its compatability.
time will tell. :D

krisharris
July 4th, 2006, 00:08
mines staying the way it is
hopefully u will crack the ps1 anyway

luis_05
July 4th, 2006, 00:20
Never!!! They can take that emu, shine it real good.....u know the rest. Besides, no new consoles beat the old ones, no matter how good the graphics are, its no about the graphics but the story!!!!

F9zDark
July 4th, 2006, 01:03
I might buy a third PSP to do what all the nifty things that I want out of the higher firmwares. With the modchip looking to be a hellish task, I am thinking I might not go that route.

EB Games has some used PSPs for sale at 180 dollars (don't know how long that will last, probably not as long as I hope).

I have been meaning to since NONE of my friends have a PSP and I have been itching to play GTA multiplayer since the day I bought the damn game. However, having a 1.0 makes it hard since I dont want upgrade, in case I lose my way back to 1.0 (which, with the Die Hard 1.0 Backup & Restore, may make it a possibility).

I love homebrew, I really do, but Sony has some nice features coming out, which I *might* like to utilize at some point.

Sadly alot of the best homebrews out there, just stopped being worked on, leaving us with a desire for more, but never being able to get it. Thats the one problem I have with open source; devs start a project, THINKING that others will later take it up and finish it, and thats really a bullshit way to go about doing something (can you see it being that way with say, building a computer or working on a car?).

Not that Sony hasn't done that to us since, hmm the day the PSP launched, but nonetheless, some of the PSP's coveted features look to be impressive and certainly chalk it up to being a total multifunction device.

However I will not upgrade past 2.60. I will stand defiant with my 1.0 and 1.5 PSPs. Certainly Sony likes it better that I buy a new PSP. But, I can simply just buy one Ebay, and Sony gets nothing out of it from me.

10shu
July 4th, 2006, 01:26
I won t update...soon or later we will have ps1 emu for the FW1.5...one way or another...
I will have to wait to play Tobal2 and Einhander ;)

Lumir
July 4th, 2006, 01:33
Simply put. If you can build it, i can unbuild it. To me, if i was a coder and sony had some kind of lock out to there emu, it would be like a sign in my face saying... shouting... CHALLENGE!

I would take up the challenge and even ask for help. Coders such as PSmonkey would have no problem starting a ps1 homebrew emu for us all. As we have seen his coding abilities with the n64 which i believe is alot more demanding then ps1.

I will wait this out and see what happens... as always time will tell. Heck sony might wise up and make the emu crackable on purpose so they can sell games to 1.5fw users. Seems like a great tactic to me.

Pumped'Up
July 4th, 2006, 01:44
Yea, no way will I sacrifice all this awesome homebrew goodness just to upgrade firware and play PSone emu. Hopefully a DevHook version does come out that supports PSone. Otherwise, I'm out of luck...

Chackan
July 4th, 2006, 03:02
Prices. I think that will screw Sony up.

John Vattic
July 4th, 2006, 03:33
no it will not kill homebrew. actually it may be the best thing for the psp. Only time will tell.

besides, the button configuration on a homebrewed ps1 emu would suck. also the file sizes would be a problem for those without large memorysticks. not to mention screen resolution, speed and all other aspects of a third party build.

****the sound of thousands of emo kids screaming as i update my psp without reconsideration.

and to sony agents undercover at dcemu:-> this ps1 emu idea can really make or break the psp's future. it would be wise not to get too greedy and charge both for the emu and the games. build the emu into the psp firmware and charge a nominal amount for rehashed games(15usd or less) and you will be most successful. overcharge and you will watch the psp die. remember most psp users are not aristocrats or yuppies and are not made of bottomless wells of money. keep this in mind and maybe a few of us will be able to afford your friggn ps3 monster. 700+$ to play metal gear solid 4 is absolutely ridiculous! ridiculous! my suped up 4.2ghz pc didn't cost 700 friggn usd.

best of luck to both sides.

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 03:48
Nope no upgrading here. To many great coders for the psp they will find a way. Just look at KECH , ZX-81 , & NJ there work is awesome.

Anunnaki
July 4th, 2006, 04:08
I'm an older gamer. 36 to be exact. My first system was Pong, then Atari 2600. Had a C-64, NES, SNES, N64, , Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Playstation, Playstation2, XBOX, Dreamcast, Amiga, PC and now PSP. I've spent countless hours playing videogames and look forward to playing countless more. I will be a videogamer until then end.
With the introduction out of the way I have a few thoughts/comments to various comments in this thread.

"I fully support homebrew"
How? What are you supporting? Do you donate money to the author of the program? I'm curious how much money each homebrew creator has made. Sounds like a poll should be made to find out

"Sony Wants Your Money"
This is really a revelation. Imagine a company who sells a product that wants your money. Sounds SCI-FI to me.

"I'm sticking to 1.5"
Doing so and not buying new PSP software does not support the PSP. I'm not sure how large the homebrew community is but every software sold helps the PSP. If a developer support starts to weaken for the PSP then new software may not be released (which will upset me) and there may never be a PSP2. Sticking to 1.5 you will miss out on some great future PSP games. I've recently bought Burnout, Monster Hunter Freedom and Field Commander. All three of them are great.

I am looking forward to the PS1 emulator from Sony. Some of the announced launch titles are going to be great on the PSP. FF VII and Castlevania:SOTN! So many other great PS1 titles will be a perfect fit on the PSP but I will restrain myself from creating a list.

For it to succeed I would hope the emulator is free. Then triple A titles should cost no more than $9.99. Lesser titles should be sold between $4.99-$7.99.

What would be really cool but I doubt Sony will consider it. I'm not sure if any one remembers the Black PS1 Sony released way back then to the general public. It allowed PS1 software to be developed. This would be a neat feature to offer with the PS1 emulator. Then games could be made, uploaded to the Sony site for sale. Such games could be sold for .99-$1.99. Sony could then run contest, for example run a contest for the best RPG made.

Anywho, I look forward to getting flamed.

Vincent D. Brumback

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 04:13
They will not have a choose there going to have to bring a cheaper price. Don't forget Nintendo WII is coming out and that is its soul purpose backward compatibilities via downloads so between the two one of them will have to budge down the price.

ExcruciationX
July 4th, 2006, 04:51
Hmm... Good point, Anunnaki. But I still won't upgrade. I don't exactly support Sony either, 600 USD for the "basic" PS3, is fricking nuts. I will get an Xbox 360 for Halo 3, and a Wii for Super Smash Bros Brawl, and the various past generation games.

dtothabreezy
July 4th, 2006, 05:03
homebrew is the absolute best thing thats happend to sony considering its not ice ohs as pepole call it home brew actually got some ppl to go out and buy two psp y unless you can just throw awy money sony keeps up dating and the demand for more psps come to play if sony did something like complely shut off homebrew then realeas a real good game will have to buy two psps see were im headin wit this but sony still cant offer me nothin to give up what i have and if worse comes to worse modchip:cool:

F9zDark
July 4th, 2006, 05:15
****the sound of thousands of emo kids screaming as i update my psp without reconsideration.

First off, who the **** said any of us were emo? You want to update, go ahead. But keep insults to yourself asshole.

and to sony agents undercover at dcemu:-> this ps1 emu idea can really make or break the psp's future. it would be wise not to get too greedy and charge both for the emu and the games. build the emu into the psp firmware and charge a nominal amount for rehashed games(15usd or less) and you will be most successful.

Secondly, 15 dollars is far too much. 2 dollars perhaps fits.

overcharge and you will watch the psp die. remember most psp users are not aristocrats or yuppies and are not made of bottomless wells of money.

You're right, we're not those things, we're emo.

Now onto my actual post. By your statement quoted above, your complete lack of punctuation or proper grammar, I will disregard your opinion wholly(after refuting some of your assinine statements), and deem it totally unintelligible for the safety of the rest of the community.

The PS1 emu will not 'kill' the homebrew scene. IF anything it will strengthen it. After the PS1 emu comes out and people are fed up having to buy the games they already own, enough developers will get onto making a good one for the PSP (perhaps through cracking the Sony made one; perhaps not).

Many people will probably update for the PS1 emulator, but most of the dedicated homebrew users wont.

F9zDark
July 4th, 2006, 05:30
Sorry for double posting.

I'm an older gamer. 36 to be exact. My first system was Pong, then Atari 2600. Had a C-64, NES, SNES, N64, , Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Playstation, Playstation2, XBOX, Dreamcast, Amiga, PC and now PSP. I've spent countless hours playing videogames and look forward to playing countless more. I will be a videogamer until then end.
With the introduction out of the way I have a few thoughts/comments to various comments in this thread.

How? What are you supporting? Do you donate money to the author of the program? I'm curious how much money each homebrew creator has made. Sounds like a poll should be made to find out

"Sony Wants Your Money"
This is really a revelation. Imagine a company who sells a product that wants your money. Sounds SCI-FI to me.

"I'm sticking to 1.5"
Doing so and not buying new PSP software does not support the PSP. I'm not sure how large the homebrew community is but every software sold helps the PSP. If a developer support starts to weaken for the PSP then new software may not be released (which will upset me) and there may never be a PSP2. Sticking to 1.5 you will miss out on some great future PSP games. I've recently bought Burnout, Monster Hunter Freedom and Field Commander. All three of them are great.

I am looking forward to the PS1 emulator from Sony. Some of the announced launch titles are going to be great on the PSP. FF VII and Castlevania:SOTN! So many other great PS1 titles will be a perfect fit on the PSP but I will restrain myself from creating a list.

For it to succeed I would hope the emulator is free. Then triple A titles should cost no more than $9.99. Lesser titles should be sold between $4.99-$7.99.

What would be really cool but I doubt Sony will consider it. I'm not sure if any one remembers the Black PS1 Sony released way back then to the general public. It allowed PS1 software to be developed. This would be a neat feature to offer with the PS1 emulator. Then games could be made, uploaded to the Sony site for sale. Such games could be sold for .99-$1.99. Sony could then run contest, for example run a contest for the best RPG made.

Anywho, I look forward to getting flamed.

Vincent D. Brumback

You have made some great points. However, with homebrew we have limited support of higher firmwares (possibly capable of playing such games as Field Commander).

Also, with the modchip and downgrader its possible to play the games of the new firmwares and go back to 1.5 if desired. As well, with kernel support on 2.6, many more homebrew apps can be made for the PSP that are as multifunctional as ones for 1.5

Personally, I'd hate to see PS1 roms being sold for anything higher than 5 dollars. Thats just not fair for the consumer, having paid 40 dollars for it new when it came out, then having to shell out 10 dollars for it for the PSP?

Sony obviously cannot make money without doing this, but Sony has severely shafted us all with the PSP. All products for the PSP, that heighten the experience, all of which are costly, they handed out to 3rd parties, whom made them very cheaply.

There is no reason for Sony not to make a theater, speaker and subwoofer stand for the PSP and sell it for 60 dollars, using quality parts and fitting the design scheme of the PSP exactly. You know how many people would buy that? Plus, thats something that can be made inexpensively and be sold for higher profits.

The quality of the games for the PSP is inexcuseable. Of the hundreds of games currently out for the PSP, maybe a handful are worthy of their price tag. Sony is jockying us around and thats why I am happy to have homebrew.

When I step into a game store and see the new PSP game releases, I just think of how many homebrew games I could play, that would give me the same amount of fun, yet cost me nothing and obviously I leave empty handed.

Sony has been 'informed' of this problem since month 1 of the PSP's life. Gaming magazines stepped up and reported that Sony needs to get their head on straight and start producing quality games.

Finally, they have begun to listen a little. But the release of a PS1 emu, seems to indicate, at least to me, that Sony is really suffering and that they need to resort to releasing older, time tested and respected games to get the PSP out of the rut that it is in.

ExcruciationX
July 4th, 2006, 05:39
Agreed, F9zDark.

samthegreat68
July 4th, 2006, 05:54
haha about the emo thing.. emo's are so stupid hahaha. but i got 2 psps so i would for 1 of them. but otherwise i would stay loyal to the scene.
LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!

Gizmo356
July 4th, 2006, 05:57
security updates

emuking
July 4th, 2006, 06:35
i love homebrew........and tacos

MUDD
July 4th, 2006, 07:15
i find sonys retail games for the psp to be boring .
and been there done that ,for like 10 years
with the ps1 and pc games ,so they have failed in that

and i wouldt pay more than 2 bucks a piece for an old ps1 rom to play in my psp ,who would? probably not even that much .maybe for the ones i liked

the psp should try to be more creative and out of the box it sucks ,i think homebrew will save the psp

i dont think there ps1 emu will mean much to anyone unless they do something real real
cheap and over the net .

man homebrew and tacos.
its like pussy and pizza

reading those last rants you think your were
on boxtorrent forums .i was like what the

jwilds73
July 4th, 2006, 07:46
I have patience and will not upgrade past 1.50. Hopefully 2.60 gets cracked wide open with the new kernel exploit and can be made to run like a 1.50. Then I would upgrade to 2.60 for the functionality of that OS. However with Devhook and 2.50 running off the memory stick I have no need or desire to upgrade at this time.

mr_nick666
July 4th, 2006, 08:53
I have patience and will not upgrade past 1.50. Hopefully 2.60 gets cracked wide open with the new kernel exploit and can be made to run like a 1.50. Then I would upgrade to 2.60 for the functionality of that OS. However with Devhook and 2.50 running off the memory stick I have no need or desire to upgrade at this time.

I agree! :) I have an unmolested 1.5 and Id like it stay that way! :o

As an aside... Whats all this "emo" s**t? :confused: This is supposed to be a COMMUNITY! :) It doesnt matter if you like wearing wellies, a bow tie and a ra ra skirt its supposed to be a joining of minds persuing a common interest! :D (Im not wearing the wellies at the moment by the way!) :rolleyes:

Back on target... Im sure someone will crack the PS1 games $ony release and will make a free emu for all us 1.5ers! :D

r00t
July 4th, 2006, 11:18
It depends. I would rather have two PSP's. One pure homebrew, one kept upto date for this kinda stuff. I will no pay for roms what ever their planning on calling them though. I own hundreds of PS1 games and see no valid reason to buy them again for my PSP.

Anger
July 4th, 2006, 11:53
sony would also like you to do that.
imo a yearly subscription at a fixed price would be the ideal solution to the ps1 emu situation. and i fully agree sony is getting desperate in doing this. but its a good move at the same time as it shows they may be listening to us. they hear that we more or less hate most of the games that are out for the psp so they plan an emu for the popular ps1. makes sense to me. its a real shame that games these days just are not that good - there great graphically but sony lost sight of gameplay somewhere along the way. im not a real nintendo diehard but there attitude with the wii is the way to go - gameplay is the key.

Amigamul8r
July 4th, 2006, 12:04
Hi!
I dont think that the PS1 Emu is a real threat to homebrew. For example i never had a ps1 and it is not interesting at all for me.

But the most important argument is the modchip. Then i can update to the newest fw and still have 1.5.

Hey, isnt it ironic? I install a modchip in order to be able to play ORIGINAL UMD Games. :D

Greetings

Tobias

masterkain
July 4th, 2006, 13:07
Hell no... I'll never upgrade, surely it will come out a firmware emulator that would support that (just like devhook)....

Masterkain :D

mr_nick666
July 4th, 2006, 13:48
I will not pay for roms what ever their planning on calling them though. I own hundreds of PS1 games and see no valid reason to buy them again for my PSP.

Thats a problem for alot of people :( I still own about 50 games for my Playstation and am very reluctant about paying for the same thing twice :mad:

Hi!
I dont think that the PS1 Emu is a real threat to homebrew. For example i never had a ps1 and it is not interesting at all for me.

But the most important argument is the modchip. Then i can update to the newest fw and still have 1.5.

Hey, isnt it ironic? I install a modchip in order to be able to play ORIGINAL UMD Games. :D

Greetings

Tobias

/\ /\ A strange concept isnt it!?? :confused: Modifying your PSP to play the original games!!! :eek:

MicroNut
July 4th, 2006, 13:51
Keep Homebrew
The PS1 EMU will come to us :cool:

chaos-is-me
July 4th, 2006, 15:28
Whats with all the "emo" chat?? I blame Myspace!

Anyyywayyy, If it were not for homebrew I would've sold my PSP ages ago. It has a tiny amount of titles that interest me and has no use as a video or music player as I have an Ipod.

I'm just gonna wait it out and wait for a decent homebrew psx emulator, might take longer but at least then I won't have to pay for games I already own!

Edshugeo
July 4th, 2006, 15:33

Good point here. Always on my list of to do things but never done. I just donated ten bucks to the PSP Rhythm guy(s). I'll try to do something like this once a month to a different favored homebrew developer. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

"Sony Wants Your Money"

"I'm sticking to 1.5"
Doing so and not buying new PSP software does not support the PSP. I'm not sure how large the homebrew community is but every software sold helps the PSP. If a developer support starts to weaken for the PSP then new software may not be released (which will upset me) and there may never be a PSP2.

And yet it is Sony itself that places barriers to purchasing their products. Having been on 2.6, I dared not leave my apartment with anything but GTA: Liberty City Stories in my UMD slot. That's hardly an inducement to buy new games. Now on 1.5 and DevHook I've the freedom to buy some new crap. Not too new unfortunately, but Sony's firmware updates mean that when I can get around to playing 2.71 games, the prices will be a little lower. Saving me money (with their efforts) and costing the developers.

Sticking to 1.5 you will miss out on some great future PSP games. I've recently bought Burnout, Monster Hunter Freedom and Field Commander. All three of them are great.

Not for long, if I choose these games at all. I'm looking forward to Loco Roco being released here (USA). That's a great game.

D0N
July 4th, 2006, 15:52
I will never update for an emulator made by sony unless someone cracks the firmware and we are able to play our homebrew as well.

Hiei311
July 4th, 2006, 16:15
w00t i cant wait, im gonna play all the old ps1 games now, and sell the ones i have already, and then rebuy them for the psp.....yes dosnt make senes right?....pretty soon summ1 is gonna hack the 2.7+, then hombrew is gonna be realesed, then another update is gonna come out and ext. ext......idc im gonna update cuz sooner or later sum1 is gonna hack that 2 and ppl that say it impossibel..its freakin possible, ppl said that 2 2.5 and 2.6 and look hombrew and downgraders, some one could hack the ps1 emu look at the codes and try usin it to make new hombrew

thesandman
July 4th, 2006, 16:26
I recently bought a premodded psp, so i have 2 atm. If the u.p. let's me play homebrew AND upgrade to the one w/ the ps1 emulator then my psp becomes God.

psp411
July 4th, 2006, 21:26
ILL NEVA UPGRADE... why destroy a beautiful thing( like homebrews) for a more lesser beautiful thing( like ps1 for psp) anyways, there are programmers out there makin a ps1 emu for psp n wen sony erleases their version, they can have a look @ wut sony did. GO HOMEBREW!!!! i recently got ma psp downgraded from 2.6 to 1.5 so y wud i upgrade for tht?

N1ghtshade
July 4th, 2006, 21:47
who cares about ps1? n64 is where its at!

ukcuf16
July 4th, 2006, 21:52
Never!! I Will Never Break In To Sony"s Evil Ploy!!

shadowprophet
July 4th, 2006, 22:03
Before people give up all of homebrew for an emu,
They need to concider all there giveing up. And also realize that if they wait, devhook will soon catch up the slack and allow us 1.5 users to play it anyway ;)

Sharkey
July 4th, 2006, 23:32
I'm not giving anything up, I knew early on I would benefit from having 2 psps for just this reason.

I'll update one for the psone emu, sure, I'm looking forward to it.
My 1.5 will stay where it has always been though, packed full of homebrew, as much as the 2 gig stick allows.

MUDD
July 5th, 2006, 00:04
you have
sega/master
nes/s
atari
colleco
neo geo/cd

somehow get the respected licenses
from each and,maybe sony
throw some money around to the
best coders and what not ,open up
the psp and charge a small monthly
fee and i would join up today, i have
a credit card.i want some apps
damn it .im talking in game menu
type apps.****ing sony i hate them
sometimes.

is there a petition or something
maybe congress should do something
about this?

John Vattic
July 5th, 2006, 06:36
First off, who the **** said any of us were emo? You want to update, go ahead. But keep insults to yourself asshole.

Secondly, 15 dollars is far too much. 2 dollars perhaps fits.

You're right, we're not those things, we're emo.

Now onto my actual post. By your statement quoted above, your complete lack of punctuation or proper grammar, I will disregard your opinion wholly(after refuting some of your assinine statements), and deem it totally unintelligible for the safety of the rest of the community.

i didn't say you were emo. but you certainly got emo tional on me.

i'm not MAKING you update man. chill.

and did you have to use curse words?

counterwise
July 5th, 2006, 09:18
threat?nah.

bpatel4069
July 5th, 2006, 09:38
did ne1 think of the controls?
lol wat happens to R2 and L2 , i think we;re gona have some problems there... i;m scared about that but then again ive bin 1.5 white since a week after me psp arrived from japan to da uk in about september 05 !!!!!

Paiku
July 5th, 2006, 11:18
I'll upgrade!

cence_cloud
July 5th, 2006, 13:09
Is there any homebrew for 2.71

Tanis6909
July 5th, 2006, 14:32
here's how i see it....i still have my PS1 hooked up in the spare bedroom.....i do NOT still have my Snes, Genesis, NES and gameboy....Sony can bite me ;)