PDA

View Full Version : PSPVBA: GameBoy Advance Emulator for PSP v1.0.4

zx-81
July 3rd, 2006, 22:09
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/pspvba-snap-4.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSPVBA the GameBoy Advance Emulator for PSP.

I would like to thanks again Tommydanger for his help !

What's new in version 1.0.4 :

- Emulator menu is now directly available on startup
- Add turbo modes, it can result in graphic artefacts but you can win up to 20% !
(turbo modes don't work for all games)
- Add ARM tick average change option (can be used to increase speed)
- The file default.kbd (keyboard mapping) is now loaded on startup
- Screenshots are now save in BMP format instead of PNG
(less memory consumming, so it should not freeze your PSP).
- Many bug fix

How to use it ?

Have a look to the README.txt file !

Two binary versions (for 2.x and 1.5 FW) and sources are included in the zip archive.

This package is under GPL Copyright, read COPYING file for more information about it.

Enjoy, :D

Zx.

*This emulator doesn't work with the Tiff exploit on 2.0, so please use the GTA exploit instead. *

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

goloso
July 3rd, 2006, 22:12
nice Ill test it now :)

bosanova_x
July 3rd, 2006, 22:15
fantastic,yet another gba update,gona get on to it.

01cooperl
July 3rd, 2006, 22:16
i have been tracking this, I will test to see the actual speed now...

Kaiser
July 3rd, 2006, 22:20
:D Nice one ZX

zx-81
July 3rd, 2006, 22:23
i have been tracking this, I will test to see the actual speed now...

don't hope fullspeed :o ... You can increase a bit the speed using the turbo mode (from 1 to 4), or by changing the ARM tick average ...

The_It
July 3rd, 2006, 22:30
I don't see a differense between the last version. I can't even get to the press start menu in my games ):

Facetags
July 3rd, 2006, 22:30
You rock ZX. Thanks so much!

And a big thanks to the mysterious "Tommy Danger" as well...

ACID
July 3rd, 2006, 22:33
ZX is the man great job. How does he do it he doesn't sleep thats mi teorie awesome

wraggster
July 3rd, 2006, 22:33
bloody hell your awesome :)

zx-81
July 3rd, 2006, 22:34
I don't see a differense between the last version. I can't even get to the press start menu in my games ):

Sorry i don't understand anything ? You can map the START button to the key you want ... :confused:

pspfan
July 3rd, 2006, 22:35
Wow, a new release already. Great job, I'll try it out now.

cal360
July 3rd, 2006, 22:36
will one of the bug fixes fix the juttering in zelda minish cap

m0dm0use
July 3rd, 2006, 22:39
Tune in tomorrow - same ZX-81 time, same ZX-81 channel. whats this mean?

bosanova_x
July 3rd, 2006, 22:41
metroid zero is better than before,all is good on the progression side of things

keep it up zx and crew!!

would love to be playin megaman zero,castlevania in full speed with music,guess I can only dream for the moment.

you can do it!!!!

kfish2oo2
July 3rd, 2006, 22:42
Hey zx, I've noticed each update is getting progressivly smaller. Is the smaller size contributing to the speed increases?
And is there a way to use save files from the PC version of VBA? Simply re-naming them dosent work :(
I've also noticed that despite running at 125% or more, the fps never goes above 10. Is there a reason for this?

D0N
July 3rd, 2006, 22:42
Nice work zx! Keep up the good work man. Nice to see the GBA project continue!

bosanova_x
July 3rd, 2006, 22:43
metal slug advance is worse though, oh well.infact it just crashed on me.

oh well.

show no mercy zx.

ACID
July 3rd, 2006, 22:44
Hey zx, I've noticed each update is getting progressivly smaller. Is the smaller size contributing to the speed increases?
And is there a way to use save files from the PC version of VBA? Simply re-naming them dosent work :(
I've also noticed that despite running at 125% or more, the fps never goes above 10. Is there a reason for this?

Yes its called a beta this is awsome give it time he will do it before we know he will have us playing GBA at full speed:D

zx-81
July 3rd, 2006, 22:49
First of all, thanks for your good questions :).

It's only because i remove a lot of dead code, or useless code ... ;)

It's due to endianess i think ... :( ... It's not my first priority, but we can try later :).

You can now modify the frameskip to -1, and -2 ... and you will then reach 30 fps ... By default the emulator is using a frameskip 2 (which is displayed as frameskip 0 in the menu !!). It was already like this in the original VBA emulator ...

:)

When you see 100% it means that the emulator is running with 30 fps / sec ... (even if it display only 10 or less).

mr_nick666
July 3rd, 2006, 22:53
And on the eigth day God created ZX :p

Keep up the good work! :D (You must be one of the most popular coders for the PSP!) ;)

kfish2oo2
July 3rd, 2006, 23:01
Wow up to 165% and the speed is way up (on DBZ Legacy of Goku 2) Great job man, keep it up!

sroon
July 3rd, 2006, 23:11
Dude you are a coder that I Really can depend on!!
I mean every two days there's a new update!!
Great job friend!

felonyr301
July 3rd, 2006, 23:14
damn that was fast keep up the great job and cant wait till mega man zero games run at good speed with sound.

wraggster
July 3rd, 2006, 23:22
/me picks up zx-81s site and moves it to zx81.dcemu.co.uk ;)

gunntims0103
July 3rd, 2006, 23:23
great release alsum hope theres more to come

hockey2112
July 3rd, 2006, 23:32
*This emulator doesn't work with the Tiff exploit on 2.0, so please use the GTA exploit instead. *

Quick update, great work!

Why is it that the GBA emu's do not work with the TIFF method? Is this something that can be fixed for all of us who do not own GTA?

Thanks for the updates!

pspfan
July 3rd, 2006, 23:35
No one on 2.0 should stay at 2.0!

Just downgrade, all homebrew works, it's easier to load homebrew, and you can do everything a 2.0 can, AND everything a 2.5 can with DevHook. You can use the Sony browser and play 2.5 games...there's NO REASON TO STAY AT 2.0!!

felonyr301
July 3rd, 2006, 23:36
what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^

zx-81
July 3rd, 2006, 23:39
Quick update, great work!

Why is it that the GBA emu's do not work with the TIFF method? Is this something that can be fixed for all of us who do not own GTA?

Thanks for the updates!

With the Tiff exploit you have less memory than the GBA exploit ... Tommydanger has spent a lot of time on it, to debut this emulator on 2.0 FW. It appears that there are not enought memory, or only to load very small Roms (less than 200 or 300k :( ).

zx-81
July 3rd, 2006, 23:44
/me picks up zx-81s site and moves it to zx81.dcemu.co.uk ;)

Thanks Wraggy :) ... but this is may be my last emulator port ;)

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 3rd, 2006, 23:48
nice , thx

D0N
July 3rd, 2006, 23:56
Thanks Wraggy :) ... but this is may be my last emulator port ;)

Oh man...are you still going to continue by coding pieces of homebrew though?

zx-81
July 4th, 2006, 00:00
I don't really know but i still have many ideas for homebrew development :)

Kvonx
July 4th, 2006, 00:01
thanx zx-81 again for keepin us posted...........................great job with the emulator!!!!!

Kvonx
July 4th, 2006, 00:03
zx-81 estimate.....about when u think u'll b finished

borgamix
July 4th, 2006, 00:06
some pokemon games still dont work
but hey great release

zx-81
July 4th, 2006, 00:07
zx-81 estimate.....about when u think u'll b finished

I don't know (because a software is never finished) but ... we are to close to the max i can do for speed :o :eek:

zx-81
July 4th, 2006, 00:08
some pokemon games still dont work
but hey great release

Yes i know, but they don't work on the linux version either lol ! So i have to debug the original code to fix those bugs. :D

borgamix
July 4th, 2006, 00:11
ok ok thx for the atention

Kvonx
July 4th, 2006, 00:13
gud.........excellent though cuz im playin it right now

Kvonx
July 4th, 2006, 00:16
when ur done wit this project...........wit ur skills u r probably gona start another. Could it b smashg ppppppppppllllllllllllzzzzz jus finish it up so that evrything runs bettr

Hungry Horace
July 4th, 2006, 00:17
i actually tried this out, cos i quite want to play Klass of '99 on my psp.

(klass of 99 is a nice legal rom bw... since it's PD!)

i was a little disapointed in the speed tbh.... but it's still a cut above the old ones! serves me right for not trying it out before.

good luck and keep up the good work zx-81!

Zephyroth_drgs
July 4th, 2006, 00:57
good dling

kyle2194
July 4th, 2006, 01:27
With the Tiff exploit you have less memory than the GBA exploit ... Tommydanger has spent a lot of time on it, to debut this emulator on 2.0 FW. It appears that there are not enought memory, or only to load very small Roms (less than 200 or 300k :( ).
Heh GBA exploit. You better get some sleep zx.

_JC_
July 4th, 2006, 01:47
Great!! Thank you very much!

mameuser
July 4th, 2006, 01:55
A new release,............. that fast

xiringu
July 4th, 2006, 02:17
great job man!

and thnx for all your sleepless nights for the community ;)

mameuser
July 4th, 2006, 02:52
Just try the turbo mode, graphics look like a water wave

SmashinGit
July 4th, 2006, 03:17
Hey zx-81 thanks for the update, im just curious have you downgraded your psp and would this help to increase the speed?

pspfan
July 4th, 2006, 03:18
He has not downgraded his PSP, but if he did he could take advantage of kernel mode to increase the speed.

So in short: no, yes.

alucard001
July 4th, 2006, 03:38
today i tried changing the gameboot of my psp using pspset 0.9 but i clicked on the wrong botton in pspset and it just froze up my psp for 10 minutes, i turned it off and now it wont start, so now I have a bricked psp, im waiting for the modchip to be released so i can unbrick my psp.

Chackan
July 4th, 2006, 04:11
Thanks for the fast updates mate :)

Pumped'Up
July 4th, 2006, 04:42
thanks for the fantastic work and effort zx-81!!!

one request though - any way to improve speed specifically just for Zelda Minish Cap? Even with sound off and frame skip of 4, it plays choppy....

jOeBrO
July 4th, 2006, 05:16
anyone else having a problem with SRAM saving?

i'm hoping its just me

whitefeather
July 4th, 2006, 05:17
i love your emu but id like to see more pokemon games working (i need my fire red fix lol)

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 05:18
i love your emu but id like to see more pokemon games working (i need my fire red fix lol)
They work only the newer ones dont.

Mr. Shizzy
July 4th, 2006, 05:41
What a pleasant surprize to come home from work to!
Thanks ZX-81 - your hard work is very much appreciated. A couple of questions if I may:

1) In your final version (eventually) how well can we expect sound to work??

2) After the final version is complete Is there anyway you would consider an encore version utilizing kernal formode to increase speed for 1.5 fw? I know you want it to run on all fw versions, but once you've done all you can do for 2.0+
it would be a shame not to see this wonderful emu reach it's max potential.

3) So are you retiring from the PSP hb scene after this? I really hope not. You've done so much for us, it would feel like losing a family member!!! However, if you do - good luck with your next venture. Thanks a million for your tremendous contributions to the PSP hb scene. You will be truelly missed.

4) Is Kingdom Hearts compatable with this version?
(Haven't got to test it yet) If not, is it even possible?

5) Wouldn't a Sega Saturn emu be fun? lol I know, I know- I'm pushing it! lol

Hey ZX, thanks again man

RetroGoth
July 4th, 2006, 05:48
awesome release. Can't wait for the kernel eboot for the remaining 2.6 factory users

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 05:53
Thanks ZX-81 - your hard work is very much appreciated.

Hey ZX, thanks again man

That will be great emulator if he did I will give him a big hughhhhhhhhhhhhhh;) Maibe ill just keep on praising him better:D

mameuser
July 4th, 2006, 05:55
after reading the source code

void mode0RenderLine()
{
u16 *palette = (u16 *)paletteRAM;

if(DISPCNT & 0x80) {
for(int x = 0; x < 240; x++) {
lineMix[x] = 0x7fff;
}
return;
}

if(layerEnable & 0x0100) {
gfxDrawTextScreen(BG0CNT, BG0HOFS, BG0VOFS, line0);
}

if(layerEnable & 0x0200) {
gfxDrawTextScreen(BG1CNT, BG1HOFS, BG1VOFS, line1);
}

if(layerEnable & 0x0400) {
gfxDrawTextScreen(BG2CNT, BG2HOFS, BG2VOFS, line2);
}

if(layerEnable & 0x0800) {
gfxDrawTextScreen(BG3CNT, BG3HOFS, BG3VOFS, line3);
}

gfxDrawSprites(lineOBJ);

u32 backdrop = (READ16LE(&palette[0]) | 0x30000000);

for(int x = 0; x < 240; x++) {
u32 color = backdrop;
u8 top = 0x20;

if(line0[x] < color) {
color = line0[x];
top = 0x01;
}

if((u8)(line1[x]>>24) < (u8)(color >> 24)) {
color = line1[x];
top = 0x02;
}

most of the instruction were if-else statement

now I know it will be very hard to improve..

Mr. Shizzy
July 4th, 2006, 06:03
oh btw, whats up with the "foo" file in the roms folder?
Is that something I shouldn't erase?
thanks

samthegreat68
July 4th, 2006, 06:40
I don't know (because a software is never finished) but ... we are to close to the max i can do for speed :o :eek:
are ya saying that it isnt gonna get much faster than this :confused: :(

jOeBrO
July 4th, 2006, 07:02
Thanks ZX-81 - your hard work is very much appreciated. A couple of questions if I may:

2) After the final version is complete Is there anyway you would consider an encore version utilizing kernal formode to increase speed for 1.5 fw? I know you want it to run on all fw versions, but once you've done all you can do for 2.0+

3) So are you retiring from the PSP hb scene after this? I really hope not. You've done so much for us, it would feel like losing a family member!!! However, if you do - good luck with your next venture. Thanks a million for your tremendous contributions to the PSP hb scene. You will be truelly missed.

Hey ZX, thanks again man

i'm all for number 2 on that list :D

mameuser
July 4th, 2006, 07:04
are ya saying that it isnt gonna get much faster than this :confused: :(

I guess, this is what is mean.........

jwilds73
July 4th, 2006, 09:27
Has sound processing been moved to the media processor like snespsp_tyl_me? That would free up some processor cycles on the main cpu wouldn't it? Again I believe (with my very limited understanding) that this would require the code to be written for kernel mode which it currently isn't? With the upcoming exploitation of Kernel mode in 2.0 to 2.6 this would be doable? If I understand right the psp has cpu, gpu and media engine processors right?

razorak
July 4th, 2006, 09:45
All hail to the never-sleeping, hardworking coder for this wonderful emu...though i hope i dun have to reformat my memory stick for it and i'm certainly looking forward to being able to run 32MB roms since i have a 2GB MS ^^

.:PSP1.0:.
July 4th, 2006, 10:00
^^^ Lovin your sig man! lol ^^^

D0N
July 4th, 2006, 10:03
I don't really know but i still have many ideas for homebrew development :)

Cool glad to see your still going to contribute to the homebrew scene. Could you maybe tell us what sort of ideas you have for homebrew development?

zx-81
July 4th, 2006, 10:24
Thanks for your comment :)

Don't expect much more :( ...

Right, i will see when i will downgrade.

Don't worry, i'm still here lol.

I haven't tried too ...

Hey ZX, thanks again man

I've many other projects in my to-do list ;).

zx-81
July 4th, 2006, 10:25
oh btw, whats up with the "foo" file in the roms folder?
Is that something I shouldn't erase?
thanks

It was just to overcome the winzip issue (it doesn't create empty directories !).

tsurumaru
July 4th, 2006, 10:56
I've many other projects in my to-do list ;).

Does one of those comprise of a PS1 emu? :p

blou
July 4th, 2006, 11:37
zx-81 , wath about port of a raine or mame emu? mame4all port had a bad sound and the speed are not full.

mameuser
July 4th, 2006, 11:50
This is the source code from

http://www.rainemu.com/html/archive/raines-0.43.3.tar.bz2

Oh I should not post this....

razorak
July 4th, 2006, 11:53
Zx...u're creations are pretty destructive...first, it screws the sound system of SNESTYL but restarting the PSP solves it. But worst of all it totally screwed my GBC emu (Rin). it totally wrecked the whole file into nothing but corrupted data...now i gotta replay my pokemon and worst of all reformat my whole solid memory stick...sheesh...Copying massive amounts of data is no easy cake...exp if ur comp screws up to form some corrupted data as well...

P.S Lunar Legend not working

Any1 know how to delete corrupted files without needing to reformat ur MS?? Send me a little PM if you know any =)

odino
July 4th, 2006, 12:35
Hi zx-81, but can you write a dynarec for this emu? Anyway, the asm mips can help you or its useless?

yamaneko
July 4th, 2006, 13:46
metroid zero mission works fine ???

razorak
July 4th, 2006, 14:06
Metroid Zero mission works fine
Megaman Zero 4 as well
Gundam Seed Destiny too

i have school stuff to do so i didn't test all the roms i got

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 14:35
Zx...u're creations are pretty destructive...first, it screws the sound system of SNESTYL but restarting the PSP solves it. But worst of all it totally screwed my GBC emu (Rin). it totally wrecked the whole file into nothing but corrupted data...now i gotta replay my pokemon and worst of all reformat my whole solid memory stick...sheesh...Copying massive amounts of data is no easy cake...exp if ur comp screws up to form some corrupted data as well...

Any1 know how to delete corrupted files without needing to reformat ur MS?? Send me a little PM if you know any =)
Connect your psp to the usb connection go in to your psp memory under games delete what ever you want. ZX is a great coder if you don't like his work don't use it it seems your the only one with a problem Further more some nerves asking for a specific game when you just finished criticizing him.

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 14:36
This is the source code from

http://www.rainemu.com/html/archive/raines-0.43.3.tar.bz2

Oh I should not post this....
I see some people will like the same thing i do it will be a great emulator

mr_nick666
July 4th, 2006, 14:42

30 posts and youre blaspheming already :mad: ZX is an emulator GOD :D Bask in his glory or forever be damned! :p

Incidentally... I have all ZXs emus on my PSP and it works fine (still loving PSPsim) :)

ACID
July 4th, 2006, 14:46
mr nick666 i agree this so called razorrak really rasorrash should get band the best coder right now and hie bashing him. Wait maibe he can do better NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

ZX-81 RULESSSSSSS.:D

ap0calypse
July 4th, 2006, 16:39
First of all, Thank You zx-81 for your amazing contribution to the homebrew scene :)

I tested a few roms here are my results:

PSPVBA v1.0.4 Testing

.:. My PSP .:.
Firmware v2.6
32MB memory stick
GTA exploit used
All tested roms were in .ZIP format
Turned PSP volume down
Turned in-game ROM sound off

Settings
Sound Enable - No
Skip Frame - 2
Turbo Mode - 0
Show FPS - Yes
Render Mode - fit

Color Codes:
Slow Unplayable but loads - Red
Slow but playable - Blue
Playable with good speed - Green

Name >> Works/Doesn't Load >> Percent fps >> comments

Bruce Lee >> Works >> 106% >> Playable, but not full speed
Medal of Honour Infiltrator >> Works >> 80% >> slow, still too slow and choppy to enjoy
Samurai Jack >> Works >> 178% >> Very Playable, very close to full speed
Yu-gi-oh Day of the Duelist >> Works >> 72% >> slow, but Playable for those who are patient
Mission Impossible >> Works >> 82% >> slow, choppy and I forgot how much this game sux...
The Scorpion King >> Works >> 89% >> slow, choppy hmmmm...almost playable
Jackie Chan Adventures >> Works >> 120% >> slow, imo: too slow for this type of game
Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow >> Works >> 86% >> slow, choppy
Sword of Mana >> Works >> 62% >> very slow, i didn't even get through the talking at the start, soo slow
Super Bust a Move >> Works >> 130% >> Playable, good speed
Mega Man Battle Network 2 >> Works >> 60% >> slow, extremely choppy
Super Mario Advance >> Works >> 80% >> slow, almost playable
Advance Wars >> Works >> 70% >> Playable, but not full speed
Bomberman Tournament >> Works >> 71% >> slow
Crash Bandicoot >> Works >> 101% >> Playable, but not full speed
DBZ Supersonic Warriors >> Works >> 85%-101% >> slow,
Ready 2 Rumble - Round 2 >> Works >> 68% >> very slow

Every rom I tried loaded and worked but as you can see most roms are still too slow to enjoy, However "Samurai Jack" and "Super Bust a Move" ran very close to Full Speed w/o sound.

Great Job zx-81;)

D0N
July 4th, 2006, 16:42
Hey zx-81 why dont you try porting over Gens 32 from the PC to the PSP? Some of us 2.6 users that cant use DGen 1.60 on our psp will atleast get some good genesis action. Just an idea. What do you think zx-81?

mesosade
July 4th, 2006, 17:56
bloody hell your awesome :)
OMG u have been complimented by THE wraggster!!!i bow down to u wraggester for bringing this communtiy to my comp i would still be doin nuthin if i neva found this site...i'm not arse kissing i just like praising over enthusiastically...

jwilds73
July 4th, 2006, 18:04

Have you repeated the process and come to know without a doubt that that it is indeed this emulator that has corrupted your other files on your memory stick. Unless you can repeat the process and it can be repeated or has been encountered by others (and so far no one else here has reported having had your problem). You have no way of conclusively knowing that ZX's emulator caused your problem. It could be any number of issues you encountered. Until this bug is repeated and encounted by others it's just your assumption.

Please list everything you did, what games you tried prior to your other files becoming corrupted so if this is indeed an issue with this emulator ZX can find the bug and correct it.

acn010
July 4th, 2006, 18:11
hhmmmmmmm........
me likey metroid zero mission

mesosade
July 4th, 2006, 18:13
me 2 me like blowing up thingys and more things and...ummmm...mother brain must die!!!!!! right acn?? btw where did that name come from?

zx-81
July 4th, 2006, 19:24
@mr_nick666, jwilds73 : Thanks for your support :)

@ap0calypse : Excellent feedback, thanks :)

@razorak: You can use the test disk feature inside windows (because i guess you're not using linux or macos lol !). It happens to me when the PSP crash many times, i scan the disk and repair the FAT32 file system.

@all : THANKS :D

D0N
July 4th, 2006, 19:26
zx-81 I just wanted to say that im glad that you are porting many emulators over to the PSP such as this one and i thank you for it. You are a real item to the homebrew community. :)

BigBoiPnoy
July 4th, 2006, 20:31
strange 0.04 seems alil slower than 0.03

exp.
Crash Bandicoot on 0.03 at frame skip 1 and no sound = 100% fps

Crash Bandicoot on 0.04 at frame skip 1 and no sound = 80% fps

July 5th, 2006, 04:58
This is a big improvment Scince the first version.

mameuser
July 5th, 2006, 05:30
strange 0.04 seems alil slower than 0.03

exp.
Crash Bandicoot on 0.03 at frame skip 1 and no sound = 100% fps

Crash Bandicoot on 0.04 at frame skip 1 and no sound = 80% fps

1.03 counter calculation error
1.04 fix it

siulmagic
July 5th, 2006, 05:59
gret release Man keep up the good work =D we love you man z81

siulmagic
July 5th, 2006, 06:05
castle vania harmony of disonance is like same speed but i stil love the auto kbd file loading and the menu startup damn this emu is greAT

LAMPRO
July 5th, 2006, 09:31
i think one (or two) more updates - like daedalus- and we are goldey golden..

cant wait.. this version is great--

thanks guys.

keep up the good work!!

pspfan
July 5th, 2006, 09:32
Daedalus needs more than one update...................

whitefeather
July 5th, 2006, 09:56
i hope we can play pokemon games soon :)

isamu
July 5th, 2006, 12:18
sounds cool, thanks :)

uranidiot
July 6th, 2006, 00:13
still To Slow!

Streetfighter Alpha 3 And Justice League Games Are Still Piss Slow. Stop Releasing Small Updates Until You Release Something As Fast As Snes Emus!

zx-81
July 6th, 2006, 00:14
still To Slow!

Streetfighter Alpha 3 And Justice League Games Are Still Piss Slow. Stop Releasing Small Updates Until You Release Something As Fast As Snes Emus!

Thanks for your contribution ...

zx-81
July 6th, 2006, 00:15
i hope we can play pokemon games soon :)

I've found the bug (for pokemon fire), and fixed it .... Should be available in next release ;)

SpacemanSpiff
July 6th, 2006, 00:43
How long do you plan on working on this project? If you don't think you'll be able to improve the speed any more then what other stuff would you add to it?

DessyDago
July 6th, 2006, 02:09
still To Slow!

oh boy aren't u a winner. Just tried it, been without a psp for a while (took my 1.5 back to get a 2.5 cause of dead pixel and because i could downgrade), anyways fantastic job and nice job with the continued updating. Also on the last poster, have some patience, what do u want, a fully working port already? he just started and is already getting great results

Datahax
July 6th, 2006, 03:54
still To Slow!

Has anyone actually met one of this people irl? Are they seriously like this in the real world? Either I've never come across them or they only say stuff that stupid online. Who the hell are you to make demands? He doesn't work for you pal.

Anyway love this emulator! Keep up the good work.

Shadowblind
July 6th, 2006, 04:08
I just hope you dont pull what the other GBA coders did and stop a great project in the middle of it.

In an estimated amount of time, what do you think will be the final release date for this emulator, when sound, speed, and all the other things are at least acceptable?

mameuser
July 6th, 2006, 04:40
I just hope you dont pull what the other GBA coders did and stop a great project in the middle of it.

In an estimated amount of time, what do you think will be the final release date for this emulator, when sound, speed, and all the other things are at least acceptable?

Programming cannot be estimated but miracle can...........

Any other code faster than if-else statement

whitefeather
July 6th, 2006, 05:41
i love you zx-81!

ACID
July 6th, 2006, 06:04
I still cant believe that theres people out there that use this emu and then criticize ZX. He has done wonders already for this emu in the stage it is at right now.

And thats the reason why i hope that France wins the World Cup:D

zx-81
July 6th, 2006, 08:54
How long do you plan on working on this project? If you don't think you'll be able to improve the speed any more then what other stuff would you add to it?

I have improve a little bit more the speed. It will be available in next release, but we are close to the end ;)

zx-81
July 6th, 2006, 09:00
I still cant believe that theres people out there that use this emu and then criticize ZX. He has done wonders already for this emu in the stage it is at right now.

Thanks lol !:D

Dementia7
July 6th, 2006, 09:28
Hey ZX, you said were reaching the end...now i can't help to wonder, is that good or bad..or both? Please elaberate if you can. thanks

-Dementia

pspfan
July 6th, 2006, 09:55
Zx, I remember when Slasher's emulator came out you asked if it was faster than your one at the time. People said it was, and then you said that it was a good thing because you were going to do what Slasher did and use the GPU to improve speed. Then later you said if you did this it wouldn't be compatible on all homebrew firmwares. Now that the downgrader is out, I'm just wondering if you're going to use the GPU to improve speed?

Also, another question that has sprung up because of the downgrader: are you going to use the ME for sound emulation now that everyone who's not 2.7+ can use kernel mode? At first you said you would, but then you said you didn't want to downgrade, so I was just wondering what the final decision was?

I know it's VERY tough working on this emulator and I'm not trying to beg if it sounds like that, I'm just wondering because you said the end is near. Please do not feel pressured from this. Your work is nothing less than fantastic and I respect everything you do for the PSP scene.

zx-81
July 6th, 2006, 10:07
Hey ZX, you said were reaching the end...now i can't help to wonder, is that good or bad..or both? Please elaberate if you can. thanks

-Dementia

both lol.

mr_nick666
July 6th, 2006, 10:28

If I meet one of these criticisers in the real world they'll have something to complain about :mad: Like you say ZX is a miracle worker and has achieved so much for the homebrew community :D (I bet theres very few people that dont have at least one of his emulators!) :rolleyes:

Another guilty confession I too have (this is hard to say as an English man) is that I was supporting France last night :eek: (so glad you stuffed C.Ronaldo's Portugal!) :D Viva la France! ;)

zx-81
July 6th, 2006, 11:02
Zx, I remember when Slasher's emulator came out you asked if it was faster than your one at the time. People said it was, and then you said that it was a good thing because you were going to do what Slasher did and use the GPU to improve speed.

In fact the psp298 version (because slasher only touch the UI part ;) ), the GPU only to copy image contents from memory to screen/memory and to do automatic resize/rescale task ... The bottleneck of PSPVBA, is not anymore in this part, but it the emulation of the "GPU" of the GameBoy Advance itself ...

Then later you said if you did this it wouldn't be compatible on all homebrew firmwares. Now that the downgrader is out, I'm just wondering if you're going to use the GPU to improve speed?

There is no need, only if we rewrite the GPU part of the emulator, using directly the GPU capabilities of the PSP ... But it's not anymore a port, but a new emulator development.

Also, another question that has sprung up because of the downgrader: are you going to use the ME for sound emulation now that everyone who's not 2.7+ can use kernel mode? At first you said you would, but then you said you didn't want to downgrade, so I was just wondering what the final decision was?

The sound emulation take less than 10% of the total CPU consumption, so rewrite that part using the ME won't permit to win a lot ...

I know it's VERY tough working on this emulator and I'm not trying to beg if it sounds like that, I'm just wondering because you said the end is near. Please do not feel pressured from this. Your work is nothing less than fantastic and I respect everything you do for the PSP scene.

Thanks.

zx-81
July 6th, 2006, 11:04
Another guilty confession I too have (this is hard to say as an English man) is that I was supporting France last night :eek: (so glad you stuffed C.Ronaldo's Portugal!) :D Viva la France! ;)

Lool ! :D :D

ACID
July 6th, 2006, 13:05
ZX hopefully when you say we are close to the end you mean making perfection with this emu. And if thats not the case Hopefully when France wins the CUP you will change your mind.
As an american mi USA had aHorrible Cup didnt live up to standars so i was following Brazil & France.
So i hope they Punch the italians in the face.

SpacemanSpiff
July 6th, 2006, 18:07
Wouldn't it be possible to use the PSP's GPU to fully emulate the GBA GPU? Or is it not powerful enough?

zx-81
July 7th, 2006, 09:06
Wouldn't it be possible to use the PSP's GPU to fully emulate the GBA GPU? Or is it not powerful enough?

The GPU of the PSP can't be compared to GBA graphical hardware. PSP is of course much more powerfull :).