PDA

View Full Version : HDTVs Nightmare

1magus
January 11th, 2010, 05:16
I think it's been about 2 years now that I have owned my hdtv, 2 years since I found out old consoles play horrible on them.

Does anybody have any suggestions for converter boxs (Cheap Solutions I presume) for playing Sega Saturn and Sega CD on my HDTV?
It has been going through my mind on and off to get some type of converter and I realized 2 years later I still haven't done it and still have barely played any retro games in that amount of time but still wants to badly just not on emulation.

1magus
January 11th, 2010, 19:43
Cmon there has to be a way :( :(

VampDude
January 11th, 2010, 23:39
There is a way... It's called "Google" and not being so damn impatient for a reply.

I can play my Japanese Saturn perfectly on my HDTV, also my PAL Saturn (plus N64 and PSone).

You shouldn't have any problems, except if you own and attempt to play HotD or Virtua Cop, because the light won't reflect back to the gun.

My TV has the option to change between Film and Game mode (I've played games in Film mode?), plus the option to change the screen ratio (all TV's have that?) which I set to auto and it goes to 14:9 for some titles and 16:9 for others. It all depends on the television set, try looking to see if your set supports the Game mode. :cool:

hansblitzenburg
January 14th, 2010, 06:41
HDTV's are terrible for playing old consoles...I have had problems with ghosting and discolouration. Better to play classic consoles on CRTs IMO.

JLF65
January 14th, 2010, 20:01
The best way to play an old console on a new HDTV is to buy a composite to VGA converter box and use the VGA input on the HDTV (assuming the HDTV has one - most do).

1magus
January 17th, 2010, 04:31
The best way to play an old console on a new HDTV is to buy a composite to VGA converter box and use the VGA input on the HDTV (assuming the HDTV has one - most do).

Interesting, and yes I have a Dreamcast VGA box and it looks beautiful on my HDTV.

Eviltaco64
January 17th, 2010, 07:45

...And If there is no VGA input, there's always a VGA to component converter box to add to the mess.

VampDude
January 17th, 2010, 09:38
Interesting, and yes I have a Dreamcast VGA box and it looks beautiful on my HDTV.

The converter can be re-wired if it has a hard connection just for the Dreamcast, like the one pictured below so it can be connected to more consoles. :cool:

http://www.consolesandgadgets.com/catalog/images/thumbs170/sitepictures/Dreamcast/dc-hais-vga1.jpg

Boki
November 20th, 2011, 21:36
My HDTV is a Hitachi and the image of RCA is better than on crt. It is hard to found them, but I was playing onto it and I feel better than on CRT. Even the neo-geo cd looks great. (don't forget the s-video cable for Sega saturn and Neo-geo CD)

S.Y.