PDA

View Full Version : Sony defends PSP ad following accusations of racism

wraggster
July 5th, 2006, 17:14
News Via Gamesindustry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18101)

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Computer Entertainment has defended itself against accusations of racism over a controversial advert for the new 'Ceramic white' PSP.

The advert, which has appeared on billboards in the Netherlands, shows a white woman gripping a black woman by the jaw and features the slogan: "PlayStation Portable White is coming." Many websites and forum posters have protested that the advert is racist and are campaigning for its removal.

A Sony spokesperson has responded by stating that the ad does not have a racist message and that is part of a wider marketing campaign, telling GamesIndustry.biz: "The marketing campaign for the launch of the White PSP in the Benelux focuses on the contrast between the Black PSP model and the new Ceramic white PSP model."

"A variety of different treatments have been created as a campaign to either highlight the whiteness of the new model or contrast the black and the white models. Central to this campaign has been the creation of some stunningly photographed imagery, that has been used on large billboards throughout Holland."

According to the spokesperson, "All of the 100 or so images created for the campaign have been designed to show this contrast in colours of the PSPs , and have no other message or purpose."

It seems the controversial ad is unlikely to appear outside Holland, with a representative from Sony's UK office telling GI.biz: "I would like to confirm that we categorically are not running this advert creative in the UK."

crzisme
July 5th, 2006, 18:13
here's what the actual advertisment looks like.....it is a bit.....controversial

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kleiobird/169963431/in/pool-kakadoo/

Amiga
July 5th, 2006, 18:22
Somehow i doubt there would of been any trouble if it was the other way around.
Its just PC nutters got nothing better to do.

zackforbing
July 5th, 2006, 19:17
well, if it's black people that don't like it, then I'd say take it down. if they don't care, why should anyone else?

chaos-is-me
July 5th, 2006, 19:49
are you people bloody mad?!?
How on earth did they think this is a good idea! It is quite obviously not meant to be racist but I can see how it is percieved that way.

If it were the other way round it would be just as offensive. Showing any kind of racial violence in an ad campaign is very very low. Why couldn't it just be someone holding a black psp and someone holding a white psp? Sony specifically chose to pick a white person to be throttling a black person. Makes me sick, shame on you Sony.

Also it doesn't matter if black people find it offensive or not, I do and i'm white. It's not only black people that find racism offensive.

samidgley
July 5th, 2006, 19:58
..That is pretty disgusting, I can't believe it got as far as being put up

k1nn34r
July 5th, 2006, 19:58
thats hardly offensive, for once i see it sony's way. white is the new 'fashion'... everything seems to be white but black is never out of fashion and will prevail, im guessing the next poster will be of the black woman standing over the white woman. anyway saying something is racist is as racist and the thing you are saying is racist (work that 1 out) :P

k1nn34r
July 5th, 2006, 20:00
lol to the thing in bold.... it means that if you look at something and say it is racist then you have noticed a differant colour skin therefore making you racist!!! its all just political correctness gone wrong!!!

Physicist
July 5th, 2006, 20:18
touché...

i find it funny, i wouldn't know what racism even is if it wasn't continually drummed into my brain from early childhood.

"black people aren't the same as you, but you shouldn't say that."

Stop saying it then!

I don't think racial awareness is really necessary. If you take the time to analyse the advertisement it makes a lot of sense.

Black woman represents black PSP, white woman for the white one (obvious).
The white woman is bigger than the black woman, shows the white PSP as being better than the black one. This has no relation to race, its simply a matter of contrast in colour/size.
The background is coloured entirely black making the black woman less visible and enhancing the white woman which further implies how much better the white PSP is.

If people don't stop whining about political correctness when people are used to show contrast then racism will go on indefinitely.

samthegreat68
July 5th, 2006, 20:35
if that black person was forced into being into that photo then it probally qualifies as racism. but since it was probally out of they're own will, then its not. or the black person is racist, agaisnt her own race

Murdock
July 5th, 2006, 20:51
This is rediculous!

I actually hate those idiots always crying 4 "political correctness" ... I have not seen any "black" ppl. crying at those who come up with such ads: "U r racists! We r the poor blacks that always get offended! Stop that"

To be honest: I actually think that the blacks r the ones that WANT to be different! They r actually calling themselves "ni66ers"(I am writing it that way because it is censored here, which is pretty amusing in my eyes), r making fun of white suburb unhabitants r whatever ...
I mean that is okay for me, but on the other hand, then they needn't wonder if "whites" make fun of them or use "coloral differences" for ads .... I mean they make fun of us "stereotypcal" life, okay. But then I think it is only legitimate, if we can make fun of those baggy-pants & oversized t-shirt wearing "rappers" (other word for untalented singing wannabe gang member in my opinion) and o they r jumping around because they can't walk in their pants ...

I mean this whole discussion is stupid ... stop that! Ever since mankind can remember, ppl. were laught about, made fun of or whatever ... GET USED TO THAT!
If someone got an asymmetric eye proportion, there will always be a nerd that makes fun of this poor guy, but this is indeed seen as disrespectfull and childish, but no1 really minds ... if on the other hand someone makes fun of such a silly rapper (of which plenty r running around at the moment, unfortunately, everyone calls the racism-police! It's just stupid ...

Gr33tz!

mat_dizzy
July 5th, 2006, 20:54
i think this is disgusting to be honest!

it shows pure rasicsm, i mean its using 2 difrent skin coulours for a hand held!

its showing a white woman phisicaly abusing a black women!

argh sony you make me mad some times

Kramer
July 5th, 2006, 21:00
This is rediculous!

I actually hate those idiots always crying 4 "political correctness" ... I have not seen any "black" ppl. crying at those who come up with such ads: "U r racists! We r the poor blacks that always get offended! Stop that"

To be honest: I actually think that the blacks r the ones that WANT to be different! They r actually calling themselves "******s", r making fun of white suburb unhabitants r whatever ...
I mean that is okay for me, but on the other hand, then they needn't wonder if "whites" make fun of them or use "doloral differences" for ads .... I mean they make fun of us "stereotypcal" life, okay. But then I think it is only legitimate, if we can make fun of those baggy-pants & oversized t-shirt wearing "rappers" (other word for untalented singing wannabe gang member in my opinion) and o they r jumping around because they can't walk in their pants ...

I mean this whole discussion is stupid ... stop that! Ever since mankind can remember, ppl. were laught about, made fun of or whatever ... GET USED TO THAT!
If someone got an asymmetric eye proportion, there will always be a nerd that makes fun of this poor guy, but this is indeed seen as disrespectfull and childish, but no1 really minds ... if on the other hand someone makes fun of such a silly rapper (of which plenty r running around at the moment, unfortunately, everyone calls the racism-police! It's just stupid ...

Gr33tz!

i agree
it's just like the aboriginals in australia there always going on about how everyone is racist towards them and how they dont get treated with respect even though they get more respect then anyone else does but there still racist towards white people.

i think this is disgusting to be honest!

it shows pure rasicsm, i mean its using 2 difrent skin coulours for a hand held!

its showing a white woman phisicaly abusing a black women!

argh sony you make me mad some times

see k1nn34r (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/member.php?u=69721)'S post on the other page

dtothabreezy
July 5th, 2006, 21:03
loco roco not so racsist but thats totally fed up they could have chosse some thing totaly different than that maybe them actually like battaling be accesetable but thats deffintley not

Murdock
July 5th, 2006, 21:10
@Kramer: yeah, u got my point! It is just rediculous who ppl react on such things ... they always ony see the one side of the medal!

I mean very "race" (I honestly don'T care about political correctness, but his is NOT mean in a racistic way) is making fun of the others in some sense ... this was always the case and it will always be the case ... maybe just because of cultural differences ... I don't want to debate about that. But the point is that no1 realy needs such discussions and it does not make the ppl. aware of racism, it just goes on the nerves of the majority of the ppl.

xsimmonsx
July 5th, 2006, 21:11
This advert isn't racist in any way? Im an artist and the way I 1st viewed it was just a clever advert that shows a white PSP is joining the black version, its quite stylish.

Anyone who thinks that this is racist, is in fact one of the many small minded idiots that think 'PC 'and 'watch what you say' will make things better...its not, as its you make things worse.

By thinking of racial difference with in this kind of image, straight away make you a racist, as its the 1st thing that came into your mind.

stotheamuel
July 5th, 2006, 21:24
it isn't raceist... but it is very controversial....... they should of thought of how people would react... and especialy people who dont understand it.. its in english and is in the netherlands... hmm or do they all know english... idk..

Tron_Fan
July 5th, 2006, 22:28
Folks,

As much as I would like to live in a world where something like this could be construed as "innocent" you just plain cannot for one second think this would not be offensive to someone.

I'm a pretty liberal person, but I think this was over the top. Then again I think the PSP commercial with the Hispanic dust bunnies was also a bad idea.

F9zDark
July 5th, 2006, 22:30
The ad can be construed as racist quite easily. If you were take that image and throw on some colonial clothing on the white woman, you'd think it was a movie about slaves.

The white woman's demeanor; how she is purposely looking down on the black woman; how her clothes and hair look superior. It reaks of racism through and through.

Do I care though? No. Sadly, blacks bring it on themselves. Just having their own TV station, in which only blacks are allowed to be on, save the few white actors that play the idiot roles on the few sitcoms on there.

When will we give it up this notion that we need to cater to their needs because our fore-fathers enslaved them?

Not to be an ass or anything, but Africa was a prime location for slaves since the days of the Greeks and probably before. Not that that makes it right or anything, but for god's sake, its in the past, get the **** over it.

Accordion
July 5th, 2006, 22:36
well....

whether the ad compaign is racist or not, it has certainly brought out the racist ones among us....

so i suggest....if i gain power over the world, then everyone will be dyed green!!!
prejudice solved
easy
(ill do it like flamingoes)

Lodis
July 5th, 2006, 22:38
Whether the Ad is racist or just Politically Correct madness will be perceived differently by everyone. The fact is, Sony should have known better, they aren't new to the market and they should be able to see the ''bigger picture''. As far as I am concerned, Sony didn't think this through enough, either that or they wanted to create controversy. Anyone with half a brain knows everything remotely to do with racism is extremely sensitive so why would they give themselves the trouble.

Accordion
July 5th, 2006, 22:43
its quite clear they did think it through

in fact if you think in terms of equality then the ad has no connotations whatsoever, so in a way it is societies problem that the mass is racist, and not the ad

its called impact....you will remember it!

Tron_Fan
July 5th, 2006, 23:12
so i suggest....if i gain power over the world, then everyone will be dyed green!!!

That wouldn't solve anything. People would still find a reason to hate. The only way to completely avoid conflict is to make everyone the same. But with that you also remove the good things about differences. There's no way to win.

I guess I would find the ad clever in some way if it were parodying racism in some way. This just smacks of clueless-ness though, and people making that much money in advertising should know better. I'm embarrassed for the models taking part in it too.

idapimp
July 5th, 2006, 23:14
LMFAO that is the best ad ever. everyone who keeps saying its racist. shut the hell up and get the stick out of your ass. everyone likes family guy. that show is damn controversial. but everyon gets offended about a sony ad. have a sense of humour retards.

Tron_Fan
July 5th, 2006, 23:17
everyone likes family guy.

Sure. I do. However, Family Guy is a parody. A satire. I guess I am just missing the "humor" here.

Accordion
July 5th, 2006, 23:36
That wouldn't solve anything. People would still find a reason to hate. The only way to completely avoid conflict is to make everyone the same. But with that you also remove the good things about differences. There's no way to win.

I guess I would find the ad clever in some way if it were parodying racism in some way. This just smacks of clueless-ness though, and people making that much money in advertising should know better. I'm embarrassed for the models taking part in it too.

wow you took me seriously.

come on people you have a psp, now that means you thrive on this sort of stuff, you wouldnt be so lucky if all this hate didnt take place

10shu
July 5th, 2006, 23:38
i ll see it like a guy been abused by a girl...i think it s sexist not racist :)

Accordion
July 5th, 2006, 23:39
i thought it was two women?

chaos-is-me
July 6th, 2006, 00:10
I am a VERY left leaning person and I think polictical correctness is just another way to control us but seriously this ad, while maybe not meaning to be, could be deemed so unbelievably racist its unreal.

Say there was a new Pink PSP (that'd be awesome) and the ad showed a homosexual strangling a straight person. Or there was a new Yellow PSP and it showed an asian person killing a black person. Both of those ads are would be insanely stereotypical and degrading and would never EVER get shown and would be deemed instantly offensive. The mentality that black people are now indefinately seen as inferior just means people thought this ad was a good idea and not at all racist. Infact it is racist and offensive.

And for the person that said this is comparable to Family Guy, what the hell?!? Family Guy is a satirical comedy show. Much like South Park that always makes fun of Jewish people it's done VERY tongue in cheak and is actually meant to be funny (I love Family Guy and South Park!) but this ad is NOT meant to be funny, it's meant to sell a product.

Perhaps if the ad was a black person holding a black PSP and a white person holding a white PSP then it would be more contextual and would seem fitting, but it is just a picture of mock racial abuse with a PSP logo slapped in the corner.

And i'm done.

lucidtraveller
July 6th, 2006, 01:15
Say there was a new Pink PSP (that'd be awesome) and the ad showed a homosexual strangling a straight person. Or there was a new Yellow PSP and it showed an asian person killing a black person..

those are coming soon ;)

RedKing14CA
July 6th, 2006, 01:49
Can't we all get along? Peaceful like?

F9zDark
July 6th, 2006, 03:25
Why does everyone immediately blame the individual or society for being racist, simply for attributing racism to the ad?

It is clearly racist. It depicts a black woman, in clear subordination to a white woman. How the **** can this get any more racist?

Stop blaming society for what Sony did. They could have made any other ad to sell the PSP. Their recent slew of advertisements has purposely been used to stir up a fuss.

Blatant disregard to a touchy subject is all Sony's fault; regardless of how the people view such an ad. It is wholly Sony's fault for their complete and utter ignorance in this matter.

not here anymore
July 6th, 2006, 03:27
this add only reveals one thing : Sony is desperate for attention.
Is the DS eating too much of the portable market share? This add makes me wonder..
Later,

TSR

F9zDark
July 6th, 2006, 03:58
Does anyone have any market figures to show proof of this? I am curious to know if this is the cause or not.

Wouldn't surprise me, but I cannot see how this ad would get them the attention they desired.

I can see this though, imagine the headlines: "PSP sales skyrocket among white supremecists and members of the KKK due to a racially charged ad."

Just about the only attention I can see Sony gaining from this that they'd want.

xiringu
July 6th, 2006, 06:05
it's not offensive to me, BUT i can see how offensive it could be for others...

the only reason I can think of for this campaign to be launched is that they really wanted to shake people and be on magazine covers and on the news and they don't care if it's for the quality of their product or for being racists

it just shows what $ony can do to get attention and more money

Shadowblind
July 6th, 2006, 07:06
sometimes, though, people can be totally oblivious to what they even mean while making something. It is impossible for us to get inside the creators mind and discover his true intent within the sign.

Nontheless, it will create quite a lot of controversy for Sony, that much is already apparent.

Stew2000
July 6th, 2006, 09:36
Does this mean the PS3 should just be in silver? :D

chaos-is-me
July 6th, 2006, 11:08
Some great points F9zDark. Very good points indeed.

ACID
July 6th, 2006, 12:21
I agree with F9zDark. Yet people should not get insulted by a dume ad and just ignore it.

Ennohex
July 6th, 2006, 22:05
Wish people would leave the race thing alone.

idapimp
July 7th, 2006, 01:05
yeah. i'm tired of everything being about race. i live in texas. in the south. granted it was a confederate state, it's practically getting taken over by black people. (specifically houston) but i have plenty of black friends who DONT get offended by it. what the hell is with the white people taking everything so offensive. by assuming this is racist is like assuming that people aren't equal. sony had a casting call for an add and those 2 people got the part. why is everything still being treated as white and black, instead of human and human.