PDA

View Full Version : Sony Warning About using 3rd Party Batteries

wraggster
July 5th, 2006, 17:38
Sony (http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/support/sp_20060703_notice.html) have issued a warning that basically says theirs a risk of fire or worse from these batteries.

Although i reckon its more than likely they dont want you getting more powerful batteries at half the price of their Official batteries.

Take with a pinch of salt methinks :)

SSaxdude
July 5th, 2006, 17:42
They just want you to buy their overpriced one's.

Kramer
July 5th, 2006, 17:44
Either sony started caring about there customers or there just trying to make more money. Probly just trying to make money

MikeDX
My datel MAX one caught fire just a minute ago.

Oh no it didnt, that was just Sony transmitting BS into my brain via the infrared port...

mr_nick666
They just want you to buy their overpriced one's.

I was just thinking the same thing! :p (Money grabbing $ony) :mad:

k1nn34r
July 5th, 2006, 18:40
its a load of rubbish the 3rd party batterys may use differant compounds in their batterys but the psp has a built in resistor that does not allow any more power or voltage into the system no matter what battery you use. sony should think about what they say in future or they will have to get a tonne of complaints :P

*Edited*
i know about the resistor because i recently had mine replaced with another that is 4 ohms less to allow a tiny amount more power onto the motherboard and proesser allowing it to supply faster speed and performance!!

i have no problems except it voiding the warrenty :P

July 5th, 2006, 18:54
$ony just wants you to buy there stuff so they can make money. $ony probably did this because there are loosing sales.

zackforbing
July 5th, 2006, 19:14
haha. just like their proprietary MS format is LYK OMG SOOO MUCH BETER THAN DA OTHERZ...and oh yeah, costs twice as much...

stotheamuel
July 5th, 2006, 19:21
hey.. some people will still fall for this so.. props to sony... i actualy hope people buy it... that means more ps3s

Emeriastone
July 5th, 2006, 20:17
Has anyone ever heard of or seen someone's battery catching fire?? This is kinda rediculous, and if these warnings come from Sony's fear of legal firestorms, then this must have been like one or two isolated incidents of PSPs catching fire...

Insane1
July 5th, 2006, 20:22
Has anyone ever heard of or seen someone's battery catching fire?? This is kinda rediculous, and if these warnings come from Sony's fear of legal firestorms, then this must have been like one or two isolated incidents of PSPs catching fire...
*raises hand*
Well it didn't really catch fire. And the PSP wasn't harmed at all. However I can't say the same for my RadioShack-made external battery pack/case...thing started to melt at a point. >_> <_<

Although I didn't do crap about it other than return the defective product. Then I bought one of those 3rd party Mega Battery packs, and nothings gone wrong at all since.

samthegreat68
July 5th, 2006, 20:23
you never know, really. a couple years ago i got a battery pak for my GBA and it would get incredibly hot. almost hot enough to burn

Insane1
July 5th, 2006, 20:25
you never know, really. a couple years ago i got a battery pak for my GBA and it would get incredibly hot. almost hot enough to burn
Yeah. Sometimes Third-party batteries can be dangerous. Although I DOUBT that's often...There've been reports about 3rd party Cellphone batteries exploding, though, so maybe Sony's not wanting money, and is instead doing another one of their severe over-reaction things. Either way they're acting a bit paranoid.

Psyberjock
July 5th, 2006, 22:50
I think the external battery packs are of more concern than the internal ones. The internals aren't connecting via the power adapter port and are typically much lower in capacity.

Personally after seeing all the BS coming from Sony lately, I'm starting to wonder if Sony and the US Government are the same entity.

KiDD420
July 6th, 2006, 02:22
On my gamegear I had an external battery and it melted and could have caught fire because I left it on the charger too long

Junior
July 6th, 2006, 11:41
Still, pissing of your third party supporters is always a bad idea. They should've made that statement themselfes.

Uruz 6
July 6th, 2006, 14:08
I think this announcement is the result of 3 things:
1) Sony overreacting to the "problem" (is there any?)
2) Sony wanting more money (nothing new here)
3) Sony not thinking about their relations with 3rd parties

I guess sony really started adding 10% more stupidity in their actions lately.

RemixUnlimited
July 6th, 2006, 16:40
I'm buying a 3rd party Batterie because of this.

gotmilk0112
July 6th, 2006, 18:19
im happy with my sony battery that came w/ my psp.

$ony is jsut grabbing for more money.