PDA

View Full Version : Snezzi DS v0.23

wraggster
July 6th, 2006, 18:23
Snezzi DS (http://www.forwardcoding.com/projects/snezzids/snezzids.html) the Snes Emulator for the Nintendo DS has been updated, heres whats new:

Fixes and Features:
- Fixed a critical bug with the register reads and writes (might be slower)
- Improved cycle counting (again) for block move and DMA operations.
- Added feature to handle mid-frame change of background offsets. (Able to see water in Super Mario World, Able to see scrolling clouds in Super Mario All Stars: Super Mario Bros, Able to see fixed status panel in Super Mario All Stars: Super Mario Bros 3, Able to see scrolling name entry in Zelda: A Link to the Past)
- Fixed reading register $4212 to indicate auto-joypad read status.
- Fixed writing register $4016 to reset only when the correct bit is set.
- Fixed joypad registers to send joypad input only from the first controller.
- Fixed HiROM mapping.
- Added Mode 20/21 ROM Access Speed.
- Fixed a bug with the INC/DEC opcode that was previously returning the wrong flags. (This fixes Super Mario Bros 2's glitch where the character suddenly warps to the top of the screen)
- Fixed messed up colors when in 256-color palettes.
- Fixed fading to use always the brightest fade color per frame
- Slightly improved VRAM allocation for background graphics
- Implemented Mode 7 Graphics

- Added more configuration options:
o FORCED BG MODE
AUTO, MODE 1, MODE 2,... MODE 7
o VRAM BG ALLOC
SMART - Don't allocate for disabled BGs may see less garbled graphics, slow refresh on every enabling/disabling/flicker of BGs
FAST - Allocate for disabled BGs may see more garbled graphics fast flickering of BGs (needed by games like Megaman 7)
o VRAM OBJ ALLOC
SHARED - Shared with BGs (may result in less space for BG graphics)
EXCLUSIVE - Not shared with BGs (allows more space for BG graphics)

- Added Quick Configuration Feature:
o L+R+SELECT+UP: Cycle through the following BG Priority Sets
set 1 = (P1, P2, P3, P3)
set 2 = (P2, P1, P3, P3)
set 3 = (P0, P1, P2, P3)
set 4 = (P1, P0, P2, P3)
o L+R+SELECT+DOWN: Cycle through the FORCED BG MODEs
opt 0 = as required by game
opt 1-7 = the respective modes

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

The Hombrew Hunter
July 6th, 2006, 18:27
Does it use all of the DS' buttons?

Himura
July 6th, 2006, 18:58
Implemented Mode 7? Now I need to try this out...

The Hombrew Hunter
July 6th, 2006, 19:10
Does this work on an m3?

superbeef
July 6th, 2006, 19:10
why's this show up on the main page twice? lol.

danielmakana
July 6th, 2006, 20:20
It shows up on the main page twice because one is snezziboy and the other is snezzids

Yes this works on the M3 I have tested it out.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 6th, 2006, 21:06
Kickass. One more, do all of DS' buttons work?

danielmakana
July 6th, 2006, 21:29
For snezzids all of the DS buttons work. Just like a snes controller.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 6th, 2006, 22:30
Kickassing.

DimensionT
July 6th, 2006, 23:12
From my experence:

Mode 7 is still glitchy, but it's alot better then before. Games like Mario Kart/Pilotwings still aren't playable, but games with some mode 7 "effects" work great now (Actraiser for example would crash when entering a battle scene and had problems with the title rotation on SnesDS/Advance (I could be wrong), both problems are fixed with this).

Actraiser seems almost perfect now, aside from slowdown (no slowdown on the DS port though).

Again, this is just my experence... But either way it's still a big jump forward! Good work everybody!

goldenslider
July 6th, 2006, 23:51
When trying this on the Supercard SD version, all I get is the white screen. Ive tried this with a number of different roms (namely the ones in the working list), but still get the same error. any ideas?

Mr_Biggs
July 7th, 2006, 02:24
im on dialup, so i dont wanna waste my time downloading this UNLESS it can run starfox. can it?

TheLamer
July 7th, 2006, 04:12
no

DimensionT
July 7th, 2006, 16:15
100KB and you're not will to waste time downloading it? There's no way it'd take longer then a 30 seconds on ANY connection...

Starfox isn't going to work for a long while (and probably never will on the GBA) as it uses the Super FX chip. It might eventually be possible on the DS if you cut out sound support and run the chip entirely on ARM7 (could be wrong)

@Goldenslider: I use Supercard CF. Are you renaming the smc.gba file to smc.nds? Also, I heard somewhere that the .dat file actually causes problems with some games in the DS version. Try deleting all the text in Snezzi.dat with notepad. If the .dat's not there (I think you have to have it, it just needs to be blank), download and older version of Snezziboy and it should come with it. If you want to put the fixes back you can find them here:

http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Snezzi_dat

**If you check the SnezziDS link in the original post, you can find the same version emulator as this but with sound support**

Himura
July 7th, 2006, 18:37
I tested several games, and am very pleased. Pilotwings has a working title screen, but once you go to fly a mission, it blacks out.

F-Zero has a similar problem. It cannot yet handle the Mode7, but these are promising steps indeed.

For a speed test, I tested Street Fighter II Turbo, and am VERY pleased. It performed like a champ, albeit a champ with backhround scrolling issues. It was very playable, and I spent about an hour enjoying it.

goldenslider
July 7th, 2006, 23:31
If i rename the *.smc.gba to *.smc.nds, the supercard program will not read the file, I just get an error code. Also, downloading older versions of the program has no dat file in them. I made my own from the list at that link, and i make the gba file and run that thru the supercard program. now when it loads up, its like the DS switches itself off. the screen isnt white, just turned off.
Any chance you could please note the steps that you do to get it to work on the Supercard CF (since Im guessing its nearly the same type of thing)

Laichzeit
July 10th, 2006, 00:22
I second that request ^

Bobetta
July 13th, 2006, 02:48
Won't work for me. Might be my games though.. I have a question: Since Nintendo aren't selling these games in Australia anymore, and they aren't making profit from it whatsoever, is it legal for me to download SNES ROMS and play them with this if I can get it to work?