PDA

View Full Version : PS3 SPI hardware hacking

wraggster
January 16th, 2010, 00:30
News via http://www.eurasia.nu/index.php

geohot (aka George Hotz) has been busy setting up a custom SPI interface for the PS3 Cell processor in order to basically remap a region of the hypervisor protected memory to overlap SPU memory in userland using his FPGA setup. You can find more information in his ps3 blog and updates via twitter. I suspect the goal of the hack is to execute his own code in protected memory without interference from the hypervisor.

darkriku2000
January 16th, 2010, 03:24
Neat, some ps3 homebrew, and possibly even a dream cast or ps2 emulator would be sweet.

I'm going to keep up with this

THE#1SonicFan
January 16th, 2010, 05:34
Neat, some ps3 homebrew, and possibly even a dream cast or ps2 emulator would be sweet.

I'm going to keep up with this

Never understood why the majority on these forums prefer the ps3 to the 360. No one seems to be even interested that the 360 can run homebrew via the jtag hack. It's almost as if the people here have this hatred towards the 360...and I just don't understand why.

Insomniac-Evolution
January 16th, 2010, 09:06
Never understood why the majority on these forums prefer the ps3 to the 360. No one seems to be even interested that the 360 can run homebrew via the jtag hack. It's almost as if the people here have this hatred towards the 360...and I just don't understand why.

There's also 360 fanboys that cuss the ps3, it takes 2 to tango baby lol I hope this guy does crack it, because the power of the ps3 to run homebrew would be more superior sorry haha, anyway u gotta appreciate him for doing that with the ps3's guts

darkriku2000
January 17th, 2010, 06:19

Well for one, I have both consoles, and only 2 360 games, borderlands and prince of persia. I have tons of games for the ps3 though. Plus, from what I hear, homebrew on 360 = ban from xbox live.

Eviltaco64
January 17th, 2010, 07:49
Well for one, I have both consoles, and only 2 360 games, borderlands and prince of persia. I have tons of games for the ps3 though. Plus, from what I hear, homebrew on 360 = ban from xbox live.

Yeah, Microsoft has always had a no-tolerance attitude towards homebrew.

I'm honestly surprised that no one seems to care for 360 homebrew. It definitely has potential.

benny blanco
January 17th, 2010, 18:10
Compared to the PS3, xbox360 has choppy graphics. At least you dont have to pay for Internet gaming, the ps3, the psp has hacks that give you endless possibilities. The 360 has to be cracked with chips soldered to it to make it do the stuff you want. HD-DVD compared to BLU-Ray, you have to pay extra to get the HD-DVD add-on for the 360. Features my friends, features that are included. Ability to do more, thats PS3, Xbox is behind and falling fast. The day I can use my files from my psp 1.0 on my PS3 will be a great day, and that is when companies will fall. What I am trying to say is lets run some of this homebrew on the ps3 and let that unsigned code run on these systems.

VampDude
January 17th, 2010, 21:18
Compared to the PS3, xbox360 has choppy graphics. At least you dont have to pay for Internet gaming

My point exactly, one reason I chose to own a PS3 as compared to an Xbox360... I've never liked the Xbox consoles, except the brief fascination with playing/owning Halo 3 which I eventually came to my senses after playing it offline due to Microsoft selling the wireless adapter and then the subscriptions to play.

The Xbox360, uses standard DVD discs whereas the PS3 uses Blu-ray media. The PS3 is value for money, unlike the Xbox360 which cannot play the latest movie rentals in full 1080p (since HD-DVD failed and the add-on was overpriced). :cool:

Overall:

Add-on - (failed) HD-DVD
- PS3 has Blu-ray > which will be the media format of the next 10 years.

Add-on - Wireless Adapter
- Built-in PS3 standard.

Subscription - Xbox Live
- No subscription to the PlayStation Network.

Games - DVD disc (standard 4.7-9.4gb)
- PS3 utilizes Blu-ray (25-50gb) for more content and better graphics.

Media - DVD
- PS3 supports both DVD and Blu-ray disc.

I think the overall price of an Xbox360, with the wireless adapter and the Live subscription to get any gamer started, costs more than a standalone PS3 slim (even more since the Xbox360 is unreliable >> RROD).

And that's all I have to say, anyone is free to correct me. :p

lmtlmt
January 18th, 2010, 09:07
go vampdude!

Baboon
January 18th, 2010, 11:08
@VampDude: Have any of your bullet points got any relevance at all as to why the PS3 would be a better machine to hack ??

lol at the Sony fanboys on here!

THE#1SonicFan posted why nobody seems interested (on this site) on the recent 360 hacking developments which already have emulators running on it and you guys turn it into a 360 vs PS3 flame thread... waffling on about the 360's "Choppy graphics (?)" and "PS3 utilizes Blu-ray (25-50gb) for more content and better graphics"? etc :confused:

Seriously - WTF has any of that got to do with either this threads topic or THE#1SonicFan's post about why people aren't interested in 360 hacking? :rofl:

What the hell happened to this site?

NoQuarter
January 18th, 2010, 16:29
This has drifted way off topic...

VampDude
January 18th, 2010, 16:43
@VampDude: Have any of your bullet points got any relevance at all as to why the PS3 would be a better machine to hack ??

Nope, though the PS3 is ultimately the console to hack because it has the power... The thing that amuses me, is that I think my PS3 has more power than my PC (I think?). But the PS3 can be hacked, there is an option to return the console to the very point it was when purchased. So in theory, custom firmwares are a possibility.

lol at the Sony fanboys on here!

That applies to me... :D

PlayStation and PS2 slim tidily behind my TV (out've the way and playable), PS3 slim nicely blended to my media setup (on top). :)

Baboon
January 18th, 2010, 18:56
That applies to me... :D

Well I give you respect for owning up to that. lol :D

jonezybaby
January 18th, 2010, 20:01
call me a fanboy if you will but havin had PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox and Xbox 360, i find that sony have always had the more reliable console.

microsoft rushed the 360 to get the console out first and most of there consoles are faulty, i no the ps3 have the Yellow light of death but all electricals prob have a fault sumwere but how many consoles have microsoft had returned compaired to sony?

Eviltaco64
January 18th, 2010, 21:05
My #1 problem with the 360 is the build quality followed by all the expensive proprietary add-ons. I'd rather have a modded original Xbox than an unmodded 360. :P

Of course, 360 could be an incredible homebrew machine as could PS3. Who cares which one is hacked? They're both powerful, they both could be incredible homebrew machines... What's the problem with that?

THE#1SonicFan
January 19th, 2010, 06:32
Choppy graphics? wtf have you been smoking. Last time I check the 360 utilizes anti-aliasing better than the PS3. Not to mention the 360's GPU have been proven to crunch more numbers than the Ps3's risc. And of course I'm going to get flamed about all the stupid bull about how it gets the rrod and how the 360 has hdmi 1.2 instead of how the PS3 has hdmi 1.3 and how you have to pay for live (when clearly xbl has more features). But I'm not here to put facts in your face. I was just clearly stating the fact that hardly no one here seems remotely interested in the 360 and just the ps3 or the psp. I could care less what you prefer, but the fact remains that the 360 with the jtag hack is getting some kick ass homebrew for it already. I personally would love to see nullDC get ported to it. Oh, how that would make my day. So don't pout over what the 360 can do because you're not getting any PS3 hacking love your way. Instead, celibate! By buying a pre-7xxx dash 360 just so you can jtag it and get back all those joyful memories that you once had with the original xbox =]

StryfeDc
January 19th, 2010, 12:08
Meh...

Until they figure out how to run homebrew code on either the PS3, or X-Box 360 WITHOUT a physical modification like a modchip. Screw them both for homebrew/emulation, and stick with a powerful PC.

Or go pick up a Wii.

Eviltaco64
January 19th, 2010, 21:17
Or go pick up a Wii.

Rather an Xbox... Getting one used, hardmodding it, and adding a big hard drive would probably be cheaper than buying a Wii. :P