PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine

SheerStealth
August 3rd, 2004, 11:36
Say, I was just thinking about how many people have not been able to get 3D games to the DC, but has anyone tried to license the Unreal Engine from Epic Games? Supposedly they lisenced the source code for porting to the Dreamcast although I am not sure if they still do. Maybe this is something someone can look into....

http://www.epicgames.com/licensing.html

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 11:57
You know that cost a assload to do right. Plus unreal 1 is very primitive and the scene could probably write a better engine in this day and age.

quzar
August 3rd, 2004, 13:34
Not true. In terms of 3D we are still in the stone age. The best 3D coder in the scene (iirc) was Trilinear and hes off working making commercial games now.

Darksaviour69
August 3rd, 2004, 14:59
iris is a good wee 3d engine

Cap'n 1time
August 3rd, 2004, 15:39
You know that cost a assload to do right. Plus unreal 1 is very primitive and the scene could probably write a better engine in this day and age.

we arnt talking about unreal 1, we are talking about unreal tournament. YES I KNOW THEY USE THE SAME ENGINE! It isnt about the engine so much as it was about the hardware that existed at the time of their releases. the unreal engine would probably push on the DC pretty hard. the Unreal Engine is a very powerfull engine and it was used for quite a few games.
I doubt anyone will write a engine better than that for the dc from the homebrew scene.

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 17:49
Actually I was talking about unreal 1 but I then decides to read there liscening and its extremly interesting. You dont actually get just one engine you get everything they've made thats unreal related. You get to choose weather or not you wanna use the newest or a older. So its always gonna be extremly expensive because you always have to pay for the newest unreal engine.

SheerStealth
August 3rd, 2004, 18:38
but the cost must be alright for enough of the DC development community, because they put so much work into their ports, and homebrew games. I'm sure one dedicated dc dev site will fund the unreal liscence and make a decent amount of games. It has been said by DC developers at one time, that a single DC game can be made in a single month with a small team....

Cap'n 1time
August 3rd, 2004, 20:32
I think its possible to do it... but it isnt going to happen. If people really were interested in it though, Unreal's Engine really is the way to go.

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 21:11
You know lisceings is like in the 100 thousands right. You find me some DC fans willing to pay that and I'll find you some coders wanting to work with it.

quzar
August 3rd, 2004, 23:49
You people all do know that Unreal Tournament was released on the DC right? It obviously dosnt push the hardware to the max...

Eric
August 4th, 2004, 07:13
LOL quzar i was just thinking about Trillinear and i gave the guy a email giving him a review on his games and i was wondering why i didnt get a message back. But i do have to say his work was rather amazing and the reason why i was thinking about the guy was cause i played his games in the past and before i never really looked at coders just looked to play and tell my info about them.

Now i look at coders cause from just being here for a little while now i know there is differences between everyone and what i mean by that is they all do different things and some can only do very few projects. As for Trillian he was amazing for the 3D games and another reason i was thinking about the guy and the scene at the sametime right now there is nobody who can do 3D games except for Dan Potter but he makes homebrew games to sell and there could be possibly someone else who can do 3D games.

But there could also be someone else but from what i know trillinear. Anyways with that its quite possible i think by the end of this year 3D will come out just cause of how many things that werent possible in the past have been done this year.

Thanks again to everyones great work and to new coders for bringing more and more things to the scene.

Eric

Cap'n 1time
August 4th, 2004, 07:52
You know lisceings is like in the 100 thousands right. You find me some DC fans willing to pay that and I'll find you some coders wanting to work with it.

100k?!?! forget that!

You people all do know that Unreal Tournament was released on the DC right? It obviously dosnt push the hardware to the max...

I am sure they dumbed it down quite a bit. Anyway lets not talk about first person shooters on the dreamcast... its depressing. :'(

Darksaviour69
August 4th, 2004, 12:44
i was really annoyed about Unreal Tournament, the US version had 8 player online, the PAL version had NONE! i was really looking forward to it!

btw the Yeti 3D engine was ported to the dc but no one has released anything yet...
http://www.theteahouse.com.au/gba/

Vorrtexx
August 4th, 2004, 16:05
*As for Trillian he was amazing for the 3D games and another reason i was thinking about the guy and the scene at the sametime right now there is nobody who can do 3D games except for Dan Potter but he makes homebrew games to sell and there could be possibly someone else who can do 3D games.

Heinrich has a really good looking 3D game out there called DCastle right now. Probably the main reason there are fewer 3D games out there is because they can take longer to code. and creating 3d levels/models is very time consuming and difficult.

Yeti3D is a very nice portable engine, and from what I've been following, OneTirty8 has been doing nice work on it. Iris3D is a great 3d engine specifically for the DC but it can take time to learn. That being said, there's a good User Manual with it...and I want to start work on bringing another 3D engine to the DC also, if I can get the time :)

quzar
August 4th, 2004, 18:38
100k?!?! forget that!

I am sure they dumbed it down quite a bit. Anyway lets not talk about first person shooters on the dreamcast... its depressing. *:'(

FPSs are kind of what the unreal engine is for...

Darksaviour69
August 4th, 2004, 19:54
Heinrich used Iris3D right?
DCastle looks great btw

vipor231
August 4th, 2004, 21:03
if im not mistaken duke nukem manhatten project used the unreal engine,i could be wrong and that is not a 3d shooter...the unreal engine could be used for non shooters.... its a really nice engine...

Cap'n 1time
August 4th, 2004, 21:43
if im not mistaken duke nukem manhatten project used the unreal engine,i could be wrong and that is not a 3d shooter...the unreal engine could be used for non shooters.... its a really nice engine...

yup. Just as quake 2's engine could be used for other things, unreal can be too. There are games and mods that use the engines but arnt first person shooters.

Vorrtexx
August 5th, 2004, 06:18
Heinrich used Iris3D right?
DCastle looks great btw

That's Correct.

ace
August 5th, 2004, 06:50
I don't remember Yeti3D being ported :?

quzar
August 5th, 2004, 07:11
it was. a while back. nobody did anything with it though, and for some reason nobody seemed to care either.

Eric
August 5th, 2004, 07:27
Vorrtexx:

Heinrich has a really good looking 3D game out there called DCastle right now. Probably the main reason there are fewer 3D games out there is because they can take longer to code. and creating 3d levels/models is very time consuming and difficult.

Thanks i also forgot to mention him and the name is new to my eyes as i dont really see him to much in here and not much word about him.

Vorrtexx
August 5th, 2004, 08:12
it was. a while back. nobody did anything with it though, and for some reason nobody seemed to care either.

probably because the tools didn't really exist to work with it. When I ported it, the textures and sprites were stored in C files as hex data which were compiled into the engine. so it didn't make editing very easy unless you knew the structure to things. OneThirty8 has been working on it since though and has made changes to that.

Eric
August 5th, 2004, 08:21
Hey vorrtexx i am gathering you are the guy to make the Vortex port if its the same name as yours i was wondering if you could make a 50htz version as i really would love to check this one out.

Vorrtexx
August 5th, 2004, 09:49
The Source code I released was for 50hz I think, 50hz is PAL right? I always get them mixed up. have you a dev environment to compile the source? I think I might have the elf of bin around on my laptop somewhere, if I do I'll dump it somewhere.

If you can compile source, then the source is availabe from my site: http://vorrtexx.ionichost.com/

Hola
August 5th, 2004, 14:18
The port didnt allow for high reso and wasnt complete. I think thats the reason no one cared.

Mental2k
August 5th, 2004, 16:45
why not wait for the quake 3 engine to go gpl in a few weeks?

quzar
August 5th, 2004, 17:11
why not wait for the quake 3 engine to go gpl in a few weeks?

!!!!!

!!!! wow!

can you provide a link to this info?

Hola
August 5th, 2004, 17:15
Because who has enough skill here to port quake 3? and isnt Quake 3 very Direct X dependent?

Mental2k
August 5th, 2004, 17:30
quzar, I'm basin it on the fact ID said they'd release it when DOOM3 came out which is soon. They usually do. You can get the source for Q1 and 2 on their site at www.idsoftware.com

quzar
August 5th, 2004, 17:37
well i know Q1 and 2 have been released, but where did they say they would release q3? its still a commercially viable engine.

Mental2k
August 5th, 2004, 17:40
I read it in a magazine in an interview with graeme devine.

Cap'n 1time
August 5th, 2004, 22:19
found this at www.planetquake.com

Quake 3 To Go Open Source?
Quake III Arena News | 8/4/2004 | 6:12 PST - Jube
In this Slashdot thread regarding the release of DOOM 3, id Software's John Carmack briefly touches on the topic of the Quake 3 engine going open source. Here's a copy and paste for your ogling pleasure:

Re:Quake3 engine open-source? When?
by John Carmack on Wednesday August 04, @03:13AM

By the end of the year. There are still a lot of higher priority things, but it is coming soon.

Hopefully punkbuster will keep the source release from having any negative impact on the player community.

John Carmack

here is the slashdot thread link.

http://slashdot.org/articles/99/12/26/1255258.shtml

cool news.

Eric
August 6th, 2004, 20:12
Vorrtexx:If you can compile source, then the source is availabe from my site: http://vorrtexx.ionichost.com/

Sorry i dont compile i dont have knowledge in that area just a reviewer

Eric

LyonHrt
August 7th, 2004, 11:16
If we're talking about portable engines, have any of you seen tenebrae - http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/ its based on the quake1 engine, but adds stencil shadows and per pixel lights.

Theres also the even more advanced tenebra2 - http://www.tenebrae2.com which push's it even further, though the tech info isn't avaiable.

Hola
August 7th, 2004, 13:16
The first ones kinda extremly unoptimized and far to much for the DC and the second one is so advanced that it clearly cant run on DC. However you might wanna look out for a XPort of Engine to Xbox as that seems very possable.

Mental2k
August 7th, 2004, 16:19
tenabrae was pretty good, mst d/l 2 havent tried it. Its wat first alerted to me the fact you could run Q1 on XP. (you have to use GL quake for those who don't know.

Has open GL been posrted to DC?

Wonder would ID release the source to the DC version of Q3...

LyonHrt
August 7th, 2004, 18:54
tenabrae was pretty good, mst d/l 2 havent tried it. Its wat first alerted to me the fact you could run Q1 on XP. (you have to use GL quake for those who don't know.

Has open GL been posrted to DC?

Wonder would ID release the source to the DC version of Q3...

You got a good point, if they're releasing the quake3 source, wouldn't that include the different ports of it.

You'd still have to have the katana dev kit though

quzar
August 7th, 2004, 19:54
Theoretically you could take out all the katana code and replace it with KGL code or something.

Hola
August 8th, 2004, 01:05
Where all forgeting the fact the Q3 was rather bad on DC too arent we?

Mental2k
August 8th, 2004, 14:50
um, its just the engine we're after, its a relitively easy to mod engine, which has a commercial history, sounds good enough to me. Racing games, w00t!

Hola
August 8th, 2004, 22:22
Bid for power on DC would be nice too :D

Mental2k
August 9th, 2004, 05:03
tenabrae 2 looks ace, hard to believe it started off as quake 1! It looks good enough to be a comercial engine. Hmmm who'da thought I'd have to upgrade my graphics card to play something based on Q1 ;)

Hola
August 9th, 2004, 13:30
Well normally when tenebrae release come out the first one is complete redo of quake 1. Then the engine is released and other people can liscene it to make there own game. Tenebrae it self isnt a game.

impetus
August 11th, 2004, 20:56
"We license the Unreal Engine to experienced professional game developers. "

Struck out on the first sentence.

Mental2k
August 12th, 2004, 07:57
impetus, that and it costs around 100k :P

Athiril
August 24th, 2004, 08:47
I'm sure the Ogre3D engine could be ported to Dreamcast - http://www.ogre3d.org/

It's free, open source etc

It uses SDL and a few other libs, shouldn't be too hard :)

bender
September 15th, 2004, 17:12
and isnt Quake 3 very Direct X dependent?
No.
There's a quake3 port for linux, in fact, ID Sotfware loves gnu/linux and their games have their respective ports for the penguin system ;)
Anyway, the q3 engine doesn't seem a easy thing for porting or using in dreamcast ports

qatmix
September 15th, 2004, 17:22
CA will have something to look at soon. ;)