PDA

View Full Version : PixelJunk creator disappointed by cheap gamers

wraggster
January 16th, 2010, 22:27
Q-Games' Dylan Cuthbert doesn't like you, cheap gamer. When quizzed by Develop, the PixelJunk creator described one thing that disappointed him most about the industry: gamers that refuse to open up their wallets. "Gamers complaining about our games being too expensive at 10 dollars. I'm not sure this is an industry problem, but it seems ridiculous that people complain about that price point." Cuthbert seems particularly sensitive about this issue, noting the rampant piracy of PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe on PSP earlier this year.

The naysayers seem few and far apart, though. PixelJunk Shooter went on to become the second best-selling game on PSN in December. Some members of the Joystiq community have even suggested the game is worth "more than $10." Obviously, the studio is doing well enough with its PSN endeavors, as Cuthbert confirms that "more PixelJunk is definitely in the pipeline." With PixelJunk Dungeons and presumably PixelJunk Shooter Encore in the works, the indie studio clearly has a lot to work on at the moment.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/16/pixeljunk-creator-disappointed-by-cheap-gamers/

symbal
January 16th, 2010, 23:03
I pay what i think a game's worth, i bought Fallout 3 for £20 and it's such a boring game that if i knew i wouldn't have even wasted the time on internet to download for free, but then games like Mario 3 i would be happy to pay for on every different device because i've put hundreds of hours into it.

yakumo
January 17th, 2010, 09:50
I normally am willing to pay up to 20 euros for a game. 20 euros for me is a considerable good price. Anyway I have bought PC games like Unreal 3 when the limited edition at 60 euros was out. For PC, a game at 50 or 40 euros seems to me a little expensive to buy, but with this I am not telling that the game is not worth that price, but just I can't (psicologically speaking) afford it, so I wait until a price drop. I have done so many times, and a few weeks ago I got special edition of Farcry 2 at 30 euros instead of the 70 initial euros. Also got Alone in the Dark collectors edition at more or less the same price and originally its price was about 60+ euros. Knowing that, I lately tend to wait a price drop.

So for me, 10$, that is less than 10 euros, is a good price. Of course I have to see if I like the game, because I would never pay for a game like Imagine: babysitter or something like that.

Justise
January 17th, 2010, 10:26
I normally pay for my games, and if I see a decent, but not perfect game, I'll simply get it second hand or wait for the price to drop.
I even buy games I know I'll never play, just for their collection value.

The only case were I have to Illegally download a game is when this game is not aveliable to my country or continent (Persona PSP), or some rare cases where I feel the one who is selling is downright cheating us (PS1 games I already own for PSP).

I also hate Digital only products. I love the Pixeljunk games, but I would have never downloaded them by my self. My cousin happens to download a lot of PSN games and he has given me his account for me to get them as well.

yakumo
January 17th, 2010, 20:14
I even buy games I know I'll never play, just for their collection value.

I also have some games for this reason, although I have some hope that I will play them someday. I had Zelda from Wii before I got the Wii (I finally got the black edition), and I bought Metal Gear 4 for PS3 at 24 euro price, but I still don't have Play Station 3.

mike_jmg
January 17th, 2010, 22:08
I too get games just because of their collection value, I just hope someday I can get myself into actually playing them

Justise
January 17th, 2010, 22:50
We are going a little off topic here...

The point is that I wouldn't call my self a cheap gamer... I'll Pirate game only if they don't give me any other way of getting it... And this PSN download system is not an option, since it cannot guaranty the games lifespan!

I bought the Disc version of Wipeout HD, even though I already have it on my PS3's hard drive...