PDA

View Full Version : Freedroid port

Eric
August 30th, 2004, 00:43
This game was released on C=64 i believe. It includes sources for the newer version which is probably not playable do to graphics and also has source codes for the older version which is possible portable. Looks pretty interesting of course i didnt take a good look at the screenshots but you guys can take a look for yourselves at:

http://freedroid.sourceforge.net/news.php

Eric

bender
August 30th, 2004, 01:02
I have freedroidRPG installed on my linux box and i like it a lot. I don't know if it's portable to the dreamcast, seems a bit slow even with hardware acceleration on a p3 500

Eric
August 30th, 2004, 01:15
Like i said though if freedroidRPG isnt portable the classic one is so i am not keeping my hopes up for freedroidRPG but hopefully the classic one is easy to port never know we just have to wait for a coder to get a opinion of this game

quzar
August 30th, 2004, 04:13
90% sure that the first is portable. FreedroidRPG im not sure about. Ill try at it tonight.

Eric
August 30th, 2004, 04:18
Well i dont think it is portable man i dont think its even close to possible but i could be wrong even if i am wrong atleast the classic is

quzar
August 30th, 2004, 05:58
i looked at the code for like 5 minutes. Seems portable to me. 640x480, no weird libs, etc... well find out tonight maybe.

WHurricane16
August 30th, 2004, 08:27
Not gonna happen ;)

quzar
August 30th, 2004, 13:06
Not gonna happen ;)

why, cause you couldn't do it? Could you please give some more information so that i don't just:

1) needlessly waste my time trying or
B) give up without knowing about something that it may be possible for me to do about it.

WHurricane16
August 30th, 2004, 16:46
why, cause you couldn't do it? Could you please give some more information so that i don't just:

1) needlessly waste my time trying or
B) give up without knowing about something that it may be possible for me to do about it.

What's with the attitude?

quzar
August 30th, 2004, 20:00
I seriously didnt have any anger or anything in those words. i was just wondering why would say that it wasnt going to happen, wether it was because you tried and encountered a problem, or from something in the source that i have so far overlooked as to how it works. I mean if it is truely unportable, id like at least to know why... but if you at one point attempted it and couldnt get it to work that doesnt necessarily mean that i wont be able to. I really didnt mean that as an insult, i was just asking if you could share with my why you think it is unportable...

Hola
August 30th, 2004, 20:47
Ionno quzar sometimes you just dont choose the right wording. I dont think it matters tho as anyones aloud to have a little adititude if the want every once in awhile.

WHurricane16
August 30th, 2004, 21:06
I can't recall the exact problems that I've found, but it has alot of C++ specific things that won't work on the Dreamcast and will have to be re-written. Knowing how alot of guys in the DC scene don't have the time to re-write such a game (factor in you would have to be a big fan to do it) I don't see games such as this happening. This was what I meant ;)

quzar
August 30th, 2004, 22:23
its straight up vanilla C sir. not a spec of C++ specific code in sight. I have it mostly compiled, just need to fix up the file loading section, which ill look at tomorrow. thats why i wanted to know. if you had said something like such and such a function in it has no equivilant that will allow it to run or something like that, i wouldnt spend any more time on it. thanks =).

btw, you *might* be thinking of FreedroidRPG, cause that is C++ heavy.

BlackAura
August 30th, 2004, 23:42
Anyway, a lot of C++ stuff now actually does work.

Ian_micheal
September 8th, 2004, 23:17
Runs out of memory tryed that about 1 year ago.

Eric
September 9th, 2004, 09:12
What about the classic version

quzar
September 9th, 2004, 11:53
whoops i forgot about this... sorry hehe ill finish the port tonight or maybe tomorrow. all i have to do is fix one section. I have smaller libs than ian was using a year ago, so maybe it will work.

Ian_micheal
September 9th, 2004, 21:16
That would be nice hope it runs C64 classic needs a dreamcast home to smaller libs ?

Eric
September 10th, 2004, 09:10
Yeah i would also suggest to any coders i know some games arent portable and i am not really smart in the coding area but as soon as i looked at digger i knew it was portable. Some coders have different things to make games able to be ported as some coders dont. I dont want to put people down but i dont really like hearing that this game isnt portable. Unless after i have heard it from 5 people and after someone has said it looks like its possibly portable. But when i put a post about a game that i think is portable i really need the reason why and this would help out other coders cause they might have ways of porting that game. Kamjin is just one example for the Digger port. I do have to say he is quite good at porting games and many others are aswell cause he might not be able to port games that some coders do.

Again this is in no offense. I do have to say that the ports i have seen from this month not just from Kamjin are amazing and congrats to Miss Driller which i gave a review for and the game is almost completed hopefully those 2 bugs can be fixed and the game is from what i see 100% playable.

Anyways this isnt just for coders its for the people aswell who are playing these ports some of the games i cant even play cause i dont have the items to use it for dreamcast but i think of you so i hope you enjoy the work put out for these games by the coders.

Eric :-/ i hope this message was alright

quzar
September 10th, 2004, 18:21
worked on it a bit. got it compiling and all. takes about 5 minutes or so to send each test, so this wont be exactly fast, but eh. ill burn a CD with the files and see from there. It seems like it will work, but there isnt really a way for me to know at the moment.

Kamjin
September 10th, 2004, 21:06
Yeah i would also suggest to any coders i know some games arent portable and i am not really smart in the coding area but as soon as i looked at digger i knew it was portable. *Some coders have different things to make games able to be ported as some coders dont. *I dont want to put people down but i dont really like hearing that this game isnt portable. *Unless after i have heard it from 5 people and after someone has said it looks like its possibly portable. *But when i put a post about a game that i think is portable i really need the reason why and this would help out other coders cause they might have ways of porting that game. *Kamjin is just one example for the Digger port. *I do have to say he is quite good at porting games and many others are aswell cause he might not be able to port games that some coders do.

That's exactly it..
Everyone has their own talents.. What one person see's as portable the other might not.. I find stuff that's riddled with x86 assembly, and pc specific stuff easy, while most consider that to be unportable.. by the same token, I find C++, Allegro, and SDL stuff to be annoying to work with..

quzar
September 10th, 2004, 21:15
Well its running... sortah. It crashes in trying to display all the rules information. It seems its just too much text for it to be fprinting or something... Ill keep on working on debugging.

Kamjin
September 10th, 2004, 22:04
Do you even see the instruction text scrolling?
or does it crash at about 1-2 seconds in ?

quzar
September 10th, 2004, 22:31
Well, since printf prints to the console on the DC, i get console output of the freedroid.ruleset file until the line "// this is the disruptor, the 742 and 711 use
** Start of new bullet specification subsection **
Time is takes to recharge this bullet/weapon in seconds : 1.0
Flying speed of this bullet type : 8.0
Da"

Then it just hangs, as if it cant display any more. Ive tried it 3-4 times and had no success getting it past this. The function that handles the console output of this file seems to elude me, and i cant track down where it is. Oddly enough, this last time i tried to run it, i got a kernal panic: double fault.

Eric
September 10th, 2004, 23:06
Is there anybody who can help with this game?

Kamjin
September 11th, 2004, 00:49
Your SDL might *have caught the same virus that mine got.. it all started with a double fault.. :P

I've walked through the code (while typing the message), and I do see one problem below.. *

InitFreedroid (int argc, char *const argv[])

calls

Init_Game_Data("freedroid.ruleset");

here the mem for the file is allocated by

Data = ReadAndMallocAndTerminateFile( fpath , END_OF_GAME_DAT_STRING ) ;

then it calls this where the data you're hanging on is loading.

Get_Bullet_Data ( Data );

okay then they find the start and end of that section

BulletPointer = LocateStringInData ( DataPointer , BULLET_SECTION_BEGIN_STRING );
EndOfBulletData = LocateStringInData ( DataPointer , BULLET_SECTION_END_STRING );

You should printout the results in

LocateStringInData ( char* SearchBeginPointer, char* SearchTextPointer )
to see if the start/end are valid.

The it checks to see how many entires, also print to make sure it's right.

CountStringOccurences ( char* SearchString , char* TargetString )

this part is the finds each instance to start the data read, it should loop as many times as the above

while ( (BulletPointer = strstr ( BulletPointer, NEW_BULLET_TYPE_BEGIN_STRING )) != NULL)

Here is where the faulty data is supposed to be read in..
yup.. got it.. Ask Ian for his readvaluefromstring..

BulletPointer ++; // to avoid doubly taking this entry

* * *// Now we read in the recharging time for this bullettype(=weapontype)
* * *ReadValueFromString( BulletPointer , *BULLET_RECHARGE_TIME_BEGIN_STRING , "%f" ,
* * * * * * * * * * &Bulletmap[BulletIndex].recharging_time);

* * *// Now we read in the maximal speed this type of bullet can go.
* * *ReadValueFromString( BulletPointer , *BULLET_SPEED_BEGIN_STRING , "%f" ,
* * * * * * * * * * &Bulletmap[BulletIndex].speed);

* * *// Now we read in the damage this bullet can do
* * *ReadValueFromString( BulletPointer , *BULLET_DAMAGE_BEGIN_STRING , "%d" ,
* * * * * * * * * * &Bulletmap[BulletIndex].damage);

* * *// Now we read in the number of phases that are designed for this bullet type
* * *// THIS IS NOW SPECIFIED IN THE THEME CONFIG FILE
* * *// ReadValueFromString( BulletPointer , *BULLET_NUMBER_OF_PHASES_BEGIN_STRING , "%d" ,
* * *// &Bulletmap[BulletIndex].phases , EndOfBulletData );

* * *// Now we read in the type of blast this bullet will cause when crashing e.g. against the wall
* * *ReadValueFromString( BulletPointer , *BULLET_BLAST_TYPE_CAUSED_BEGIN_STRING , "%d" ,
* * * * * * * * * * &Bulletmap[BulletIndex].blast);

* * *BulletIndex++;
* *}

Eric
September 11th, 2004, 01:17
so does this mean that this game is possibly portable?

Kamjin
September 11th, 2004, 01:26
If that actually turns out to be the problem... maybe.. there's still a few more surprises that will probably happen.

Eric
September 11th, 2004, 01:52
bad surprises or good surprises?

quzar
September 11th, 2004, 02:02
ok, ill look closer into that, and printout the results from those different routines.

Right now im trying to squeeze a bit more speed out of my Dodgin Diamonds port, which I feel has been long overdue for a release ;)

Eric
September 11th, 2004, 16:20
Well the last release you gave me wasnt so bad i just hope that the high score table can be saved it not its still playable and quite fun. High table scoring doesnt bother me so much cause just like games Smash TV for SNES it had a high score table but didnt save.

quzar
September 11th, 2004, 17:25
The only thing that made it apparent that it isnt fullspeed is the fact that if you hold down fire, every once in a while the bullets skip. for the first version at least I am taking out the high score table.

Eric
September 11th, 2004, 17:33
you said the high score table was buggy right if there is no way of fixing that in games get a rid of it