PDA

View Full Version : I need a new anime to watch...

Crimson_Lotus
July 7th, 2006, 13:43
I just finished watching Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Could anyone give some examples of animes with a rich storyline to follow and at least some comedy?

I don't really want to watch naruto or bleach because I have seen enough of them to know they are a little skippy on the action and storyline.But, they are some of the funniest animes and I enjoy them immensly

I hear that samurai champloon is good and I have watched Trigun and thats okay, but I want more....:D

Thankyou,
Crimson

b8a
July 7th, 2006, 14:33
Escaflowne, if you haven't yet.

Utena's pretty heavy, but it's got some good comedy bits.

Cap'n 1time
July 7th, 2006, 14:49
Escaflowne was pretty good. I also liked Angel Sanctuary and X... perhapes your seeing a trend.

Crimson_Lotus
July 7th, 2006, 15:05
Escaflowne was pretty good, I used to watch it when I was younger. I will have to check out those other ones. I have never seen them...

b8a
July 7th, 2006, 15:55
I just noticed that all the ones that have been mentioned are borderline "shojo", while all the ones you mentioned were deffinately not. Don't let that stop you!!! X, and anything by Clamp in general, is very worthwhile.

Crimson_Lotus
July 7th, 2006, 16:03
I just noticed that all the ones that have been mentioned are borderline "shojo", while all the ones you mentioned were deffinately not. Don't let that stop you!!! X, and anything by Clamp in general, is very worthwhile.

While shojo is okay, I can't really see myself watching them. Too melodramatic for my taste mostly. But I will heed your words.:p

Crimson_Lotus
July 7th, 2006, 16:51
Also, I was thinking about watching Chobits. Which of course is a Seinen (young adult-adult anime). It does look sorta funny and has a storyline that sounds fresh and different... Clamp made it of course...

I was wondering if any of you have seen it, and if so, could tell me if it is good or not...

Hawq
July 7th, 2006, 18:34
I've seen it & liked it, just beware the weapons grade cuteness of one character, I'm a fossil & it got me I'm not ashamed to say. Some people dont like the ending too much but I thought it wasnt too bad (though I'm only halfway through the manga so I've yet to see how that ends to compare it)

As for other reccomendations Full Metal Panic may serve you well as it has its serious side but also some laughs as well (if you like the funny bits after watching it go for FMP Fumoffu, a version thats played for the laughs taken from the bits in the manga that didnt make the first series, very funny especially if you've gotten to know the characters)

Martian Successor Nadesico mixes in comedy with mech action & sci fi bits, if you prefer watching the dubbed version theres an extra gag in there since you've seen Evangelion as well, though they do take the mick out of other shows & the viewer at times, how many shows have you seen that dares do that I ownder? probably not many

I'll second the X & Escaflowne sugestions as well (reminds me to get the X remix set) & depending on how much humour you want mixed in then Excel Saga will possibly work for you, though it can be hard to see the ongoing storyline first time through it & your brain may go snap

LeperMessiah
July 7th, 2006, 18:38
I dunno about comedy but ******* is good, If not a little old. Also Doomed Megalopolis.

******* = B@stard

Crimson_Lotus
July 7th, 2006, 19:12
I dunno about comedy but ******* is good, If not a little old. Also Doomed Megalopolis.

******* = B@stard

Its pretty good, mostly fighting though...

Edit: edited out the name so mods don't think I was cussin', lol

Crimson_Lotus
July 7th, 2006, 19:15
I've seen it & liked it, just beware the weapons grade cuteness of one character, I'm a fossil & it got me I'm not ashamed to say. Some people dont like the ending too much but I thought it wasnt too bad (though I'm only halfway through the manga so I've yet to see how that ends to compare it)

As for other reccomendations Full Metal Panic may serve you well as it has its serious side but also some laughs as well (if you like the funny bits after watching it go for FMP Fumoffu, a version thats played for the laughs taken from the bits in the manga that didnt make the first series, very funny especially if you've gotten to know the characters)

Martian Successor Nadesico mixes in comedy with mech action & sci fi bits, if you prefer watching the dubbed version theres an extra gag in there since you've seen Evangelion as well, though they do take the mick out of other shows & the viewer at times, how many shows have you seen that dares do that I ownder? probably not many

I'll second the X & Escaflowne sugestions as well (reminds me to get the X remix set) & depending on how much humour you want mixed in then Excel Saga will possibly work for you, though it can be hard to see the ongoing storyline first time through it & your brain may go snap

Great to know:p

I guess I have to watch "X", I have never seen or heard of it before..

Gizmo356
July 7th, 2006, 20:41
sailor moon lol

Cap'n 1time
July 7th, 2006, 23:11
Has anyone seen Street Fighter Alpha Generations? So many people say that the first SFA movie sucked, but while it didnt really follow the story, It wasnt half bad in my book. Was Alpha Generations good at all?

Crimson_Lotus
July 7th, 2006, 23:40
sailor moon lol

actually, I used to watch that as a kid also... but thats because I had no friends...lol:D

Crimson_Lotus
July 7th, 2006, 23:42
Has anyone seen Street Fighter Alpha Generations? So many people say that the first SFA movie sucked, but while it didnt really follow the story, It wasnt half bad in my book. Was Alpha Generations good at all?

This first did suck IMO... It was like Doom the Movie...
Same basis, but so much was changed that it ultimately sucked. Well, everything by Uwe Boll sucks(still talking about Doom)... God that Dungeon Siege movie trailer makes me want to drive a longsword through his evil heart!!!!

And for the sake of every person alive.. Never I mean NEVER watch the 2nd Mortal Kombat movie...

LeperMessiah
July 8th, 2006, 06:20
Its pretty good, mostly fighting though...

Edit: edited out the name so mods don't think I was cussin', lol
True it's mostly fighting but Gatsu is pretty f'in cool.

LeperMessiah
July 8th, 2006, 06:22
Boogiepop Phantom is pretty cool as is Bleach.
BTW the best Street Fighter anime is the original Street Fighter: The animated movie. The only thing that sucked about it is when Chun Li kills Vega.

Crimson_Lotus
July 9th, 2006, 00:05
I finally decided to try chobits, X, and angel sanctuary...

So far Chobits is pretty funny.:D

The Hombrew Hunter
July 9th, 2006, 00:42
Nah...just use

I mean...Ebay!

Cap'n 1time
July 9th, 2006, 03:19
or you could torrent.

I mean go to your local video store.

Crimson_Lotus
July 9th, 2006, 03:27
too busy looking for pr0n...

I mean looking for rich and informative literature about basket weaving

shiftybill
July 9th, 2006, 04:40
Ninja Scroll!!!!!!!!!!

best anime ever!!

Junixx
July 9th, 2006, 05:42
may sound stupid, but naruto or bleach *cough* youtube *cough*

acn010
July 9th, 2006, 05:45
Bleach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stotheamuel
July 9th, 2006, 06:54
Inuyasha
Rurouni Kenshin
Ghost in the Shell
LUPIN III
Samurai X

A few episodes OF TRIGUN??? Trigun IS Amazing! Better than cowboy bebop.. IMO.... and i would of suggested FMA but you already watched that!

(PS)and by the names you're listing i can tell you're into Adult swim.

b8a
July 9th, 2006, 11:58
I can't find some DL's....oops..I mean a place to buy the other two... looks like I have to resort to bearshare... I mean Amazon....

or you could torrent.

I mean go to your local video store.Just lost loads of respect. Nice to know that working 60+ hours a week and earning less than $200 a month isn't even worth a $20 purchase to you. Yeah, that makes me feel appreciated... I mean like I've been kicked in the face...

10 years ago this would be forgiveable since you couldn't even get anime through legitimate channels overseas, but now that you can buy it from just about anywhere, it's entirely unforgiveable. Can't begin to fathom how you can justify that.

I'll be sure to let my fellow impovershed animators know exactly what their hard work means to you as well.

THANKS.

Hawq
July 9th, 2006, 13:22
I finally decided to try chobits, X, and angel sanctuary...

So far Chobits is pretty funny.:D

I can't find some DL's....oops..I mean a place to buy the other two... looks like I have to resort to bearshare... I mean Amazon....Remember when going for X to get the series not the film, the film condenses it all into about 90 minutes & as a result is a bit of a mess, the series is far better.

matt2k
July 9th, 2006, 15:02
If you want comedy check out:

Those Who Hunt Elves
Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
Excell Saga (This will hurt your head)

Crimson_Lotus
July 9th, 2006, 19:39
Just lost loads of respect. Nice to know that working 60+ hours a week and earning less than $200 a month isn't even worth a $20 purchase to you. Yeah, that makes me feel appreciated... I mean like I've been kicked in the face...

10 years ago this would be forgiveable since you couldn't even get anime through legitimate channels overseas, but now that you can buy it from just about anywhere, it's entirely unforgiveable. Can't begin to fathom how you can justify that.

I'll be sure to let my fellow impovershed animators know exactly what their hard work means to you as well.

THANKS.

My mommy always told me to share...:p

She didnt mean like that

Crimson_Lotus
July 9th, 2006, 19:40
Remember when going for X to get the series not the film, the film condenses it all into about 90 minutes & as a result is a bit of a mess, the series is far better.

Alrighty, I will have to keep that in mind.:D

thanks

beetroot bertie
July 9th, 2006, 23:20
Last Exile is pretty good. I'v eonly got the the first 2 dvd's at the moment but I've enjoyed it very much so far.

Whilst not that funny and being quite quiet, I have also really enjoyed Haibane Renmei.

Tokyo Godfathers is also very good. Quite touching I thought.

Crimson_Lotus
July 10th, 2006, 03:02
Last Exile is pretty good. I'v eonly got the the first 2 dvd's at the moment but I've enjoyed it very much so far.

Whilst not that funny and being quite quiet, I have also really enjoyed Haibane Renmei.

Tokyo Godfathers is also very good. Quite touching I thought.

Really? I haven't heard of either. now I am happy I asked, I now have a pretty good list of things to watch;)

but continue to post your faves, I want a years worth of anime to watch lol.

Crimson_Lotus
July 10th, 2006, 16:18
Chobits is turning out pretty good,(at ep.18). One of the funniest animes I have ever saw...

Cap'n 1time
July 16th, 2006, 03:05
Just lost loads of respect. Nice to know that working 60+ hours a week and earning less than $200 a month isn't even worth a $20 purchase to you. Yeah, that makes me feel appreciated... I mean like I've been kicked in the face...

THANKS.

Dont get your panties in a bunch, I was gone for about a week and I didnt get to respond. That statment was mostly meant as a joke to add onto the "funny-ness" of previouse posts. Dont disrespect.

Crimson_Lotus
July 16th, 2006, 07:59
Inuyasha
Rurouni Kenshin
Ghost in the Shell
LUPIN III
Samurai X

A few episodes OF TRIGUN??? Trigun IS Amazing! Better than cowboy bebop.. IMO.... and i would of suggested FMA but you already watched that!

(PS)and by the names you're listing i can tell you're into Adult swim.
I have watched Inuyasha before, definitely a funny and somewhat gory anime.:p

Ghost in a shell is a recent addiction of mine, Rurouni Kenshin is kinda funny but It feels like the storyline is bitter somehow. Trigun, of course is amazing, not better than bebop IMO lol:D . Lupin III never heard of it...

I've never seen adult swim before...

Gizmo356
July 16th, 2006, 08:05
power puff girls j/k

b8a
July 16th, 2006, 09:02
1time:I can believe you were joking. I know your posting style, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But Crimson_Lotus definitely wasn't joking about this.

It isn't like piracy can actually "stop" but it will always be around. Hard work, to me, doesn't have to be materialistic in the manner you seem to take it.
I appreciate their work, just not with my wallet.This is worse than UMD piracy in my opinion since the sweatshop conditions of anime studios is well known. It keeps getting more and more popular, but less and less profitable. People like Crimson_Lotus, in some twisted way, like to think they're supporting anime, but are helping to kill it off. And what's worse is that he's actually cheerful about it.

This is my livelihood, and I take it very seriously. This is not about "materialism", as he likes to think it is, it's about being able to live a basic life. I didn't get into this industry expecting to become a millionaire, but I never thought that no matter how hard I tried, I wouldn't be able to make ends meet with it. It's hard enough living with that reality, but it's even harder knowing that millions of perfectly financially capable people willingly and happily think that I, and my colleagues, don't deserve any sort of compensation for working for them. If shoving that fact in my face isn't showing basic disrespect, I don't know what is, and will gladly return the gesture. Unapologetically. It's not a joking matter to me. If there were any good reason for getting "my panties up in a bunch", this is it. There are very few things someone can do to their fellow man that's worse than robbing them of their livelihood. People like him make me wish that I had become a lawyer instead. Guaranteed paycheck, and everyone appreciates having another lawyer around.

This guy's all but admitted that he's going to illegally download each and every suggestion made to him. He's an admitted and unabashed pirate, why is he still here? Why is this thread even still open? You've shut down threads for far less.

Crimson_Lotus
July 16th, 2006, 10:56
1time:I can believe you were joking. I know your posting style, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But Crimson_Lotus definitely wasn't joking about this.
This is worse than UMD piracy in my opinion since the sweatshop conditions of anime studios is well known. It keeps getting more and more popular, but less and less profitable. People like Crimson_Lotus, in some twisted way, like to think they're supporting anime, but are helping to kill it off. And what's worse is that he's actually cheerful about it.

This is my livelihood, and I take it very seriously. This is not about "materialism", as he likes to think it is, it's about being able to live a basic life. I didn't get into this industry expecting to become a millionaire, but I never thought that no matter how hard I tried, I wouldn't be able to make ends meet with it. It's hard enough living with that reality, but it's even harder knowing that millions of perfectly financially capable people willingly and happily think that I, and my colleagues, don't deserve any sort of compensation for working for them. If shoving that fact in my face isn't showing basic disrespect, I don't know what is, and will gladly return the gesture. Unapologetically. It's not a joking matter to me. If there were any good reason for getting "my panties up in a bunch", this is it. There are very few things someone can do to their fellow man that's worse than robbing them of their livelihood. People like him make me wish that I had become a lawyer instead. Guaranteed paycheck, and everyone appreciates having another lawyer around.

This guy's all but admitted that he's going to illegally download each and every suggestion made to him. He's an admitted and unabashed pirate, why is he still here? Why is this thread even still open? You've shut down threads for far less.

I am deeply sorry if what I said offended you, but that is the way I look at the matter myself and my views on the subject. Trust me, if the subject were in the rules I would have gladly not posted anything about the matter. I don't really think a warning or ban is in anyway appropriate for speaking my mind in the off topic forums either. If onetimeuser wishes I be punished then I believe its fair though, but the majority of help I try to provide to the community (for free) through graphics, ideas, and reporting should say something about my character.

Hawq
July 16th, 2006, 11:14
It is in the rules, warez covers downloading licenced shows, hell even fansubs are a bit dodgy. Been away from the thread a few days so it took a bit of time for me to get the edit done.

Uruz 6
July 16th, 2006, 11:43
Hmm, as the image below my name suggest..
FULL METAL PANIC rocks!! (I prefer FMP:The second raid though).

GobboFett
July 16th, 2006, 12:39
Recently a friend of mine went to Bali and picked me up the entire series of Shaman King. Sure it was poor quality and shockingly subbed but that aside I REALLY enjoyed watching it. Shaman King is a bit of action, comedy and drama and the characters are a little...let's say odd (as with most Shonen Jump's stuff I mean just look at One Piece:p ), but as I said VERY good.

Hawq
July 16th, 2006, 15:55
Recently a friend of mine went to Bali and picked me up the entire series of Shaman King. Sure it was poor quality and shockingly subbed.Bootleg dvd's will do that to you

GobboFett
July 17th, 2006, 14:16
Yeah, LOL :p Tell me about it...

Helix-designs
July 17th, 2006, 19:20
Samurai 7, and champloo (if you liked bebop, you'll LOVE champloo)

Crimson_Lotus
July 19th, 2006, 03:11
Sorry about the situation before, I understand my mistake and I thank you Hawk for concidering it. :D

Alrighty, back to business, please continue to list your animes. I will take in every suggestion! :)

Champloo is pretty good! I love the part where they play baseball against americans, It was sooo funny.

As far as Shaman King goes, I used to watch it all the time when it was on foxbox... I really enjoyed it but after missing about 3 episodes I was entirely lost as to what the plot was lol.

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2006, 06:43
Ive been watching hellsing on encore action. Its interesting because I am not into the whole horor, zombie live action movies.. But quite a number of blood lusty japanese cartoons catch my attention.

When I was a kid I watch what many people concider to be the king of all anime movies. Akira, while seemingly the norm now, was somthing of a taboo to me. Everything from the animation of the characters expressions, right down the the sound effects gave me chills.

Then during the whole DBZ and Pokemon phaze, I decided to goto a bit of a underground videostore (yes, it has an adult section in the back) and It was there that I was told about X (aka X/1999). This movie made Akira look like your average saturday morning cartoon... fortunatly it also managed to have one hell of a story.

My sister bought Pet shop of Horrors with your host... the guy that looks like a woman. It had some interesting short stories and is worth a watch.

I've never actually seen Berserk but I like the opening theme alot. (for comical value as well as... I think its got a good message) http://www.animeaddiction.net/anime/Berserk/mp3s/berserk_op.mp3
Plus the dreamcast game "Sword of the Berserk" was actually quite interesting.

Angel Sanctuary showed up out of nowhere, but its not bad..

And I'm loving hellsing. Its bad asscharacter isnt some blonde muscle pretty boy.. Hes a long armed bad ass #1 mutha ****a.

Crimson_Lotus
July 19th, 2006, 07:28
Ive been watching hellsing on encore action. Its interesting because I am not into the whole horor, zombie live action movies.. But quite a number of blood lusty japanese cartoons catch my attention.

When I was a kid I watch what many people concider to be the king of all anime movies. Akira, while seemingly the norm now, was somthing of a taboo to me. Everything from the animation of the characters expressions, right down the the sound effects gave me chills.

Then during the whole DBZ and Pokemon phaze, I decided to goto a bit of a underground videostore (yes, it has an adult section in the back) and It was there that I was told about X (aka X/1999). This movie made Akira look like your average saturday morning cartoon... fortunatly it also managed to have one hell of a story.

My sister bought Pet shop of Horrors with your host... the guy that looks like a woman. It had some interesting short stories and is worth a watch.

I've never actually seen Berserk but I like the opening theme alot. (for comical value as well as... I think its got a good message) http://www.animeaddiction.net/anime/Berserk/mp3s/berserk_op.mp3
Plus the dreamcast game "Sword of the Berserk" was actually quite interesting.

Angel Sanctuary showed up out of nowhere, but its not bad..

And I'm loving hellsing. Its bad asscharacter isnt some blonde muscle pretty boy.. Hes a long armed bad ass #1 mutha ****a.

I finished Hellsing awhile ago, as long as you follow it closely it is a pretty damn good show... On Wikipedia I saw Akira mentioned in the Seinen section and wondered if it was any good, I guess I will have to check it out. As far as berzerk goes, the opening theme is pretty "Rad"... If you noticed not many animes have good opening songs(that is my opinion of course)... I loved the "Undo" which was performed in the third season(I think) of Full Metal Alchemist(J)... It was performed by a band called Cool Joke. Check it out some time if you are into J-Pop:D. lol. I still haven't read anything about Angel Sanctuary but I am definately looking into it.

I <3 Wikipedia:p ...

decca
July 19th, 2006, 13:00
As this is your first post a word of warning, dont ask where to illegally get stuff, its not allowed.