PDA

View Full Version : DS Overtakes PSP in UK

wraggster
July 8th, 2006, 22:34
PSP’s impressive start in the handheld market has been soured this week as rival console Nintendo DS began to pull ahead in the race for portable supremacy.
The latest industry estimates suggest that the June 23rd launch of DS Lite, while deemed unspectacular by some at the time, has boosted hardware sales for the year so far ahead of Sony’s PSP.

And Nintendo is eclipsing the competition in the software charts – this week’s biggest selling DS game New Super Mario Bros outsold top PSP title Tomb Raider: Legend by a ratio of over five to one. The Nintendo format also claimed the prize for being the overall top-selling full price console platform this week.

As the summer months shift gamers’ focus toward handhelds, the sector as a whole seems to be gaining strength all the time.

Via MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=1158)

gotmilk0112
July 8th, 2006, 23:50
YEA HOO!!! Nintendo overtakes $$$ony yet again! =P

Voltron
July 9th, 2006, 00:31
Nothing will EVER be able to take the place of a fully loaded 1.50 homebrew PSP. But I must admit, I want a DS Lite.

shadowprophet
July 9th, 2006, 02:30
And when Ff 3 comes out this september:cool:
The psp will be dead in the water. (Whats that? crisis core you say ? ) Looks good on both ends to me captain:cool:

Ehh im happy with both the psp and the ds :cool: So im good either way :D

Voltron
July 9th, 2006, 02:44
The battle is certainly heating up.

FF3, Children of Mana, Zelda, Starfox just to name a few make the DS hotter and hotter.

But on the flip-side, for the PSP, we have Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Final Fantasy, Ultimate Ghost & Goblins, Killzone, & much much more around the corner for the PSP.

Its a good day in age for portable gaming.

ryan_rocks29
July 9th, 2006, 02:51
I knew it would, the DS Lite is very popular because of all the good games out now and that it is also a fashion accessory. I think that Nintendo will beat Sony in the next-gen console wars as well, as cheaper prices and innovation seem to win these days.

Uruz 6
July 9th, 2006, 12:12
I bet sony has something in store to fill the gap in sales, we homebrew users should know better: they always come up with something new.

gotmilk0112
July 9th, 2006, 12:30
i have a ds lite ;)

ds lite is:

lighter than psp \ the original ds.
games are smaller and easier to carry.
faster load times than the psp and longer battery times because of no moving parts.

SteveV2
July 9th, 2006, 13:04
The DS is an amzing piece of kit. I got one last week that's got all the bells and whistles done to it. Using a supercard sd and loading up the likes of Point Blank just for starters puts any psp game in the ground.

I did go out and buy THUG2 for the psp and have to say how impressed I was with it but the stylus is very clever and makes any game more playable.

SweetFA
July 9th, 2006, 13:31
I've got a DS and a PSP.

About the only thing i ever play on my DS is the GBA Winning Eleven game.

My 1.5 PSP is much much better, although i wish the battery life was as good as the DS.

chaos-is-me
July 10th, 2006, 00:03
I have a PSP and DS (Recently upgraded to the DS Lite) and I have to say I play the DS more and have loads more games for it, but I love PSP homebrew so it's even.

yamaneko
July 10th, 2006, 12:20
Psp>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ds

Ds Sux!!!

horacehogarth
July 10th, 2006, 13:07
Anymore willy waving?

Physicist
July 10th, 2006, 19:55
Just help me out here, I'd rather avoid search engines.

What price is the new DS selling for currently?
And what's the trade-in value of the PSP?

(average for each) thanks.