PDA

View Full Version : Mature-themed Wii games get the black box in Japan

wraggster
January 22nd, 2010, 21:06
Nintendo of Japan has launched a new program to better differentiate its diverse Wii software lineup. According to the company, future Wii games that earn a CERO C rating (equivalent to ESRB's Teen rating) or above will be packaged in new black boxes. Likely, this initiative was started due to the upcoming release of Zangeki no Reginleiv, Nintendo's first CERO D–rated game (ages 17 and up) in Japan.

It seems this is a platform-wide mandate, as Biohazard: The Darkside Chronicles looks to become the first third-party game to sport Nintendo's black packaging. By differentiating "hardcore" games from the rest of the Wii lineup, core gamers should have a much easier time identifying the titles they might like. As for helping "casual" folk make the quick decision, it's as yet unconfirmed if Nintendo will continue to use that striking red box for all Mario-themed games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/22/mature-themed-wii-games-get-the-black-box-in-japan/

Qmark
January 22nd, 2010, 21:18
This is not a bad idea at all.

XDelusion
January 23rd, 2010, 05:02
Good idea, though in Japan I don't think it will amount to much considering that they have hotel rooms that kids at age 12 can rent out for sex...

...and that's just the tip of the ice burg.

Anyhow I wonder why they didn't think of this when titles such as No More Heroes was on the way...

...that title is just WRONG, but fun to play...

...I just wish it were Star Wars or something beause the childish characters and story line drives me to utter boredom...

...but damn is it fun game to play!

ThatotherPerson
January 25th, 2010, 21:10
So its going to be a consistent thing that all games that get a age rating at or above something will be black? Thats actually a good idea and kinda cool.

Qmark
January 25th, 2010, 22:10
In the US, at least, there's unspoken understanding that children's movies go into white disc-cases. It's not a big mental leap from dvds to video games.