PDA

View Full Version : Geohot: "I have hacked the PS3"

darkriku2000
January 23rd, 2010, 07:49
Some may recall that iPhone developer Geohot has been attempting to hack the ps3, and, according to him he's done it:

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/hello-hypervisor-im-geohot.html#comments

Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot
I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long :)

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

A lot more to come...follow @geohot on twitter

pibs
January 23rd, 2010, 09:09
I was just about to post this. can anyone debunk this?

If true this is an amazing find :thumbup:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NJ4JFBfr1tY/S1d3ZuG38gI/AAAAAAAAAbI/YLBQefLdIwI/s1600/iglitch.JPG
That's him supposedly messing with the ram.

DPyro
January 23rd, 2010, 15:46
This is the same person that hacked the iPhone.

phsychokill
January 23rd, 2010, 16:28
like all other mod's/hacks, while I don't distrust the people I would rather wait till it is in my hands before trying to think what it could mean, as there has been so many hack promises on different things that have later turned out to be fake.

so I hope it is true, but I aint going to be partying just yet.

shango46
January 23rd, 2010, 19:01
I believe it to be real. I have been following @geohot on Twitter and he has been at it for a bit now. Plus, he is reputable with his work on the iPhone, so why throw that away with fake claims?

Here's hoping something gets released soon. Then the PS3 scene can blow by the PSP and the Wii for homebrew.

Eviltaco64
January 23rd, 2010, 20:57
Ooh, gotta get a PS3 before Sony starts churning out security firmware updates. :D

Justise
January 23rd, 2010, 21:50
I somehow feel sad...
I didn't want the PS3 to be hacked. If it was just for homebrew applications or problems that Sony refuse to fix, it would be ok, but the only thing in the mind of the hacker is to allow the user to download games without paying.

The PSP got ruined once because of that, and I don't want the same thing happen to PS3...

Shrygue
January 23rd, 2010, 22:03
So someone managed to crack the Playstation 3's hypervisor huh? Interesting, I'll be looking forward for more developments on this.

VampDude
January 23rd, 2010, 22:08
Ooh, gotta get a PS3 before Sony starts churning out security firmware updates. :D

You should have one anyway, then buy Little Big Planet. = )

I somehow feel sad...
I didn't want the PS3 to be hacked. If it was just for homebrew applications or problems that Sony refuse to fix, it would be ok, but the only thing in the mind of the hacker is to allow the user to download games without paying.

The PSP got ruined once because of that, and I don't want the same thing happen to PS3...

Once the hacks start rolling in, SONY will ban people from the network. Because there will be ways of downloading the PS store titles without buying the network credits, just like the Wii with the wad files that have popped up everywhere since 2008.

vatomalo
January 23rd, 2010, 22:10
i would agree that it might not be good for the industry,
but what makes you think that geohot did this just so it would allow the user to download games without paying?

even so , flame me or whatever.
but i dont care if a multi million company, be it sony or be it nintendo, even thought i would love it to be microsoft.
lost some money god forbid they would not afford to buy and island.. and that their spoiled kids could not drive a bentley.

i think that its time to reinvent ways to earn money.
and that might be ingame comercials like 9dragons have.
or use branding? not sure if its the right term, but what i mean is that f.ex the main character uses a iphone.
or that signs and banners ingame 3d levels/worlds/landscape and so on, have actual commercials...

that would make some money, but maybe not on the multi million scale like today. but in my opinion that is soooo wrong. but then again i hate hollywood.

but thats my two sents on what justise said. and well if anybody is offended by my post i humbly apologies.
but this is how i feel and it wont change.

vatomalo
January 23rd, 2010, 22:15
yeah but Nintendo didn't ban anyone, or couldnt ban anyone. and we might get a stealth mode like the xbox360 did, even though i last time i checked i had a psp 1000 with CFW and went on PSN, didn't get banned so why would we get banned on PS3, banning people is soooo Microsoft

VampDude
January 24th, 2010, 00:55
Because why should theives get away with playing pirated games, or play all the downloadable content for free?

SONY will ban consoles, or log the serial numbers (which can be done via the servers) to prevent additional/exclusive content from the newest games from being downloaded or the games to be played online via the PlayStation Network.

PoorKingz
January 24th, 2010, 02:15
i would agree that it might not be good for the industry,
but what makes you think that geohot did this just so it would allow the user to download games without paying?

even so , flame me or whatever.
but i dont care if a multi million company, be it sony or be it nintendo, even thought i would love it to be microsoft.
lost some money god forbid they would not afford to buy and island.. and that their spoiled kids could not drive a bentley.

i think that its time to reinvent ways to earn money.
and that might be ingame comercials like 9dragons have.
or use branding? not sure if its the right term, but what i mean is that f.ex the main character uses a iphone.
or that signs and banners ingame 3d levels/worlds/landscape and so on, have actual commercials...

that would make some money, but maybe not on the multi million scale like today. but in my opinion that is soooo wrong. but then again i hate hollywood.

but thats my two sents on what justise said. and well if anybody is offended by my post i humbly apologies.
but this is how i feel and it wont change.

The third party game developers would be the ones most affected by piracy. When games aren't profitable, developers will either make really sucky low budget games or move to a different system. Either way, the gamers lose.

vatomalo
January 24th, 2010, 02:49
well that depends, now most people do not download games anyhow,
and if you don't have something(money for your copy) and you never had it, and can`t complain either.
Like the music/movie and games industry are doing, if you copy something you don`t steal it, you copy it.
They have a copy you have a copy.
anyways about third party game developers there are tons and tons of free games on the internet, alot of them mmorpgs that have server costs and so on, but they make it on commercials and selling items in game.
Well like i said earlier there are so many (unconventional)way`s to make money.

Why do everything have to involve paying for your copy?

There are some low budget games that are great.
alot of people are talking about how great games used to be before all the fancy stuff came along.
we dont really need all that stuff.
make a good story nice models and great game play...
doesn't need to cost all that
but then again this is not about piracy, this is about homebrew.
and i think geohot did not make this so we can have piracy on the ps3 but so we can have homebrew.
And alot of other people are gonna work on that.
Cant wait to see it, and what possibility`s we can have on the ps3
Now that i have a slim and cant have linux on it.
Ohh and no i really dont believe sony is gonna ban anyone until i see it
But if you dont like it, you dont need to mod, so you wont be banned.
And no i dont call them thieves i call them normal people like you and me, but they do download...

and as if none of you never downloaded a movie:rolleyes:

darkriku2000
January 24th, 2010, 03:01
Something most people seem to forget is that blu-ray burners aren't very common in homes. To download a PS3 game on the average connection could take days, can you imagine downloading a game that takes up an entire dual layered blu-ray disk? I don't think that sony is too worried about that. Also, consider that both the past sony consoles where very easy to pirate games on, the ps1 had the swap trick, the ps2 also had a swap trick though it was harder to pull off, and they both still did really well.

tl;dr: don't worry, Sony will be fine (that isn't an invitation to go pirating games though)

Main thing that I would have liked to see though is a ps2 and dreamcast emulator.

darkriku2000
January 24th, 2010, 03:05
In another update (not worth a new news post though imo),

Geohot knows some functions (http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-know-some-function-names.html#comments)

Not quite sure what it means though since I haven't gotten around to learning anything about programming yet.

Here's a picture (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NJ4JFBfr1tY/S1ufqZiXH8I/AAAAAAAAAbY/k2qztNwQhy4/s1600-h/hvcalls.PNG)

vatomalo
January 24th, 2010, 03:07
i totaly agree with darkriku2000.
and that this is not an invitation to piracy.
just i think that you guys are taking it way to far with the anti piracy attitude.
anyways as for ways to download or copy a ps3 game
i think it could be done on the ps3 directly either through a bit torrent client.
or just copy the blueray disc in the ps3`s disc tray.

just proving that it could be done somehow

DPyro
January 24th, 2010, 04:07
Maybe not blu-ray, but the sale of PSN games will certainly slow down.

Keitaro Urashima
January 24th, 2010, 11:40
Finally someone hack PS3.

phsychokill
January 24th, 2010, 13:47
yeah look at how the PSP works for piracy, just shove in a huge hard drive (can get up to about 1.5tb on laptop drives now) then just rent games, or you just need some1 to come out with a file management/FTP system for the PS3 allowing back up to either external drives or local PC's making file transfer easy without the need for blu-ray burners.

as long as the systems have the connectivity they do, some1 will always find a easy way to get it over and virtual disc drives are far from a new thing.

as for the downloading it takes about an hour to download 1gig on a 2meg connection, so it would take just over 2 days to download a 50gig disc, but so far I think MGS4 has been the only game to ever use a full disc, but even then due to the size of blu-ray discs they use low level compression to aid performance since they have the space spare, so you just need some1 to come out with something like the cso files (compressed iso for PSP) for the PS3 games and they will shrink down quite a bit.

have you never wondered why cross platform discs can fit on a 9gig 360 disc but use much more space on the PS3? it's all because they use very little compression on the PS3 unless they have to.

Eviltaco64
January 24th, 2010, 18:16
Yeah, I'm not too worried about Blu-Ray or PS3 games being pirated. It's not like they're all under 2GB like PSP.

As snipr said earlier, it's the PSN developers that will get screwed.

vatomalo
January 25th, 2010, 01:05
it all depends on how hard it is to mod anyways.
if its too hard alot of people wont attempt it either.

darkriku2000
January 25th, 2010, 01:50
well, he's only found his way around the hardware so far. We don't know what is needed to bypass the software yet

pibs
January 26th, 2010, 20:52
Here is a list of all the PS3's lv1 function names
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/9697/hvcallss.th.png (http://img715.imageshack.us/i/hvcallss.png/)
In case anybody is interested.