PDA

View Full Version : Links 2.1-pre22 PSP Stand Alone Release r1214 (Homebrew Web Browser)

wraggster
July 9th, 2006, 22:58
Raf and the PSP Radio Team (http://pspradio.sourceforge.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=486) have released a new version of their Links Homebrew Web Browser for the PSP, heres the release notes:

What's New for Links2 PSP Port
================================

links-2.1pre22 PSP r1214 ( 2006-07-08 )
NEW FEATURES
(raf) Updates to pspgu driver:
-Default resolution is now 960x544 (Its scaled down to the PSP's 480x272)
-Links scaling is now disabled (as it used too much memory, and was one of the main culprits of memory errors)
-Font size changed from 12 to 24, so it is readable without zoom (at 960x544)
-Zoom (along with new virtual resolution of 960x544 implemented using a kind of double buffering).
(raf) New button mappings:
UP/DOWN = scroll up/scroll down (former R+UP/DOWN)
R+UP/DOWN = page up/page down
L (held) = zoom (while L is held). Use analog stick to move around.
L+CROSS = toggles zoom lock. (Once locked, the analog will control the mouse. Use L+analog to move zoom window).
BUG FIXES

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Harshboy
July 9th, 2006, 23:07
This is such a great app! I've been using it since the first release. Thankyou Raf,and the PSPradio team.

kyle2194
July 9th, 2006, 23:23
The virtual resolution is great! Most websites are designed for 800x600 anyway.

Voltron
July 9th, 2006, 23:29
This app along with PSP Radio are really top notch. I just wonder though, Now that DevHook allows full emulation of 2.50 firmware with Sony's Browser, I wonder if this app has any benefits over the Sony Browswer. I don't really care too much for the Sony Browswer but it can be fast if you overclock the PSP to 333Mhz

eldarvidus
July 9th, 2006, 23:30
very big thx

mavsman4457
July 9th, 2006, 23:54
Now with devhook and the ability to load sony's browser this browser is less amazing to me. I still use it as my number 1 though because of the quickness it has in loading it. But once 2.71 is bootable through devhook and I can get flash then links may not see much use from me.

Harshboy
July 10th, 2006, 00:15
I can name many things why this browser is better than Sony's.

1) The text input meathod is much better, faster, and user-friendly

2) Resolution and scaling is much better

3) Its Homebrew, which in my head sends a big "screw you" message to Sony:p

...i have more reasons, but im too lazy to type them.

Voltron
July 10th, 2006, 00:54
Yeah, Harshboy's right. The fact that this is homebrew makes it all the more worth it to use in favor of the Sony browser.

I'd like to see this project continue.

::EDIT::
What works better? The PSP Radio plugin, or the stand alone version? Or is there no difference in performance?

remansano
July 10th, 2006, 01:00
Thanks dude
Your browser is so much better than sony's one...

kfish2oo2
July 10th, 2006, 01:46
ok, wat the ****! NOTHING in the standalone works, NOTHING! it wont connect, it wont let me navigate the menus (it FREZES when i try to move the selction from "file" to anything else and the zoom thing is pathetic, it zooms in sometimes for as long as u hold down L, or sometimes it just sticks.) A readme would be helpful, you know to tell u the key combinations? maybe the pspradio plugin actually works.

Kvonx
July 10th, 2006, 02:48
1 word........WOW

F9zDark
July 10th, 2006, 03:38
Well the new features are awesome (except not being able to read the menus now).

However I have alot of trouble connecting. It seems to me, with each update, the connection problems grow. Last time, it would have trouble connecting to a few sites, and now it doesn't seem to want to connect at all.

It may be a problem with my wireless router, but it seems odd that as the program got updated I have had more and more trouble connecting.

F9zDark
July 10th, 2006, 03:46
Memory issues have seemingly gotten worse...:mad:

pokothehobo
July 10th, 2006, 03:56
i cant go to any sites at all.... can anyone?

F9zDark
July 10th, 2006, 04:38
I have to try the homebrew 3 times to goto a site, and shortly thereafter I get memory issues.

This browser may be alot faster, but the sony one has no memory issues...

isamu
July 10th, 2006, 04:39
does this bowser support psps with the latest firmware?

Voltron
July 10th, 2006, 05:56
does this bowser support psps with the latest firmware?

I don't think so. But PSP Radio might work with 2.00+ via eLoader.

Sounds like a lot of people are having major problems with this release. I'll stick with DevHook & Sony's browser on 2.50 firmware. Set DevHook to 333Mhz and Sony's browser is then FAAAST! Also the "not enough memory" errors I would get when I had 2.00 firmware don't happen anymore.

isamu
July 10th, 2006, 06:28
I don't think so. But PSP Radio might work with 2.00+ via eLoader.

Sounds like a lot of people are having major problems with this release. I'll stick with DevHook & Sony's browser on 2.50 firmware. Set DevHook to 333Mhz and Sony's browser is then FAAAST! Also the "not enough memory" errors I would get when I had 2.00 firmware don't happen anymore.

Dev hook sounds neat. Does it work with psps with the latest firmware?

So you're saying I can set the psp to 333mhz? Thats awesome....is it easy to do?

chaos-is-me
July 10th, 2006, 11:11
you don't need Devhook is you are using the latest firmware! Devhook emulates firmware 2.00 and 2.50 on 1.50.

Voltron
July 10th, 2006, 13:17
Dev hook sounds neat. Does it work with psps with the latest firmware? So you're saying I can set the psp to 333mhz? Thats awesome....is it easy to do?

DevHook only works with 1.50 PSP's. If you have a 2.60 or lower firmware PSP that does NOT have the TA-082 motherboard, I suggest you downgrade. And yes, it is very easy to set the PSP to 333 MHz and there is no harm to the PSP. I have been overclocking my PSP under heavy use for almost a year now.

you don't need Devhook is you are using the latest firmware! Devhook emulates firmware 2.00 and 2.50 on 1.50.

Yeah, if you are using a higher firmware, DevHook won't help you. Basically DevHook turns 1.50 PSP's into both 1.50 & 2.60. So you get the best of both worlds.

nexus68
July 10th, 2006, 17:21
I'll stick with DevHook & Sony's browser on 2.50 firmware. Set DevHook to 333Mhz and Sony's browser is then FAAAST! Also the "not enough memory" errors I would get when I had 2.00 firmware don't happen anymore.
for me i still have the "not enough memory" errors with 2.5 firmware. :( perhaps a bad dump.

NoQuarter
July 10th, 2006, 23:12
The version befor last was definitly the best as it had the fewest problems. I really love this port and have downloaded like crazy with it-although I haven't tried this release