PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday port

Hola
August 4th, 2004, 22:07
Is it possable to port Doomsday to Dreamcast.

Its very cool engine that runs doom wad files and renders them in pretty nice 3d.

http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/deng/deng-src-win32-1.8.0.zip

I figured the Win32 app would be better than the Jdoom version as maybe windows would be more portable then dos.

krowstrife
August 4th, 2004, 22:27
doomsday rules
i have thought it would be a great port,but i can't code
;D

Hola
August 4th, 2004, 23:02
I think it has direct X nvm. I think legacy might port easier.

BlackAura
August 5th, 2004, 02:18
Doomsday probably would not be very easy to port. It's far too resource intensive.

Legacy is within the capabilities of the Dreamcast, but needs more of the standard C (and C++) libraries than the original Doom does. That is a problem now, but it won't be for long. Work is being done on KOS to make it more POSIX-like, so once that's done it shouldn't be that hard to port Legacy over.

Eric
August 5th, 2004, 07:49
That is awesome i know nothing about KOS and what it does so if it is more POSIX like does that mean that POSIX stuff can be ported or not? i know you said its more like POSIX.

Eric

BlackAura
August 5th, 2004, 21:40
Well, it makes it easier to port things that were written for POSIX-like systems (like Linux, for example). It means that you can use the full C library, the full C++ library (at last!), all of the file operations, network stuff...

Eric
August 6th, 2004, 20:17
Okay that is really sweet. So does that mean that DOOM and anyother games in the past with modem compatibilities we would be able to use netplay or do you guys still have to do something with the modem to get that working still?

Eric

Hola
August 6th, 2004, 20:23
Yes with this new update of KOS we'll see much nicer FPS engines.

Eric
August 6th, 2004, 21:07
lol i wasnt talking about frames per second

fackue
August 6th, 2004, 21:32
I think he ment First Person Shooters...

Eric
August 6th, 2004, 23:57
Oh woops lol