PDA

View Full Version : Sony readies 4GB MemoryStick Pro Duo

wraggster
July 10th, 2006, 18:44
News from The Register (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/10/sony_4gb_memorystick_pro_duo/)

Sony will this Summer ship a 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo memory card, the company announced today. With the company's array of MemoryStick, Pro, Duo, Pro Duo, Micro, Tiny and High Speed variants, the "revitalised" packagin design Sony promised is probably more welcome than the higher storage capacity.

The 4GB Pro Duo offers a minimum write speed of 15Mbps. It will ship with an adaptor for devices with a standard-size MemoryStick slot. Sony said the product will retail for around €170 ($217/£118) when it ships.

OK thats cheaper than the $250 price we have seen but still some $70(£40) higher than what SuccessHK sells its 4GB Memory Card (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_SanDisk_Memory_Stick_Pro_Duo_4GB_w__Adapt or.html?aff_id=24)for, Official or Sandisk product i know which way my wallet would reach for.

mr_nick666
July 10th, 2006, 19:11
Hmmm... Sandisk it is then! :D (although I DO have a $ony 2GB stick and the access time is really good... Decisions decisions! :eek: )

jimmi
July 10th, 2006, 19:19
iv got a 1 gb sony mem stick

that 1 looks alot more fun

kyle2194
July 10th, 2006, 19:19
Yeah, its cheaper, plus its reliable, not like some other cheap third party brands.

drew4237
July 10th, 2006, 19:54
i just bought a 2gb snadisk adn i really like the read and write speeds on it, it is allot faster than my sony 1gbbut now im thinking about returning my 2gb and waiting untill the sandisk is at a store cause i cant buy stuff online. i might wait untill the price goes down cause 200+ for a ms is outragous even though i bought my 1gb for 135 and my 2gb for 110. i might just return my 2gb this week and get a ndsl, im not a nintendo fanboy i just like the games they have for it, and then wait to get the 4gb when it is less than 150

Mew
July 10th, 2006, 19:56
I would prefer the SanDisk one..

atm I've got a 1GB Memory Stick from SanDisk.. no complains :)

ACID
July 10th, 2006, 19:57
My 4gb sandisk works awesome and it was only 150usd

stotheamuel
July 10th, 2006, 20:31
Ive gone through 3 sandisk 1 gb!...I had the reciept though each time... So i would RATHER have a sony.... BUT i will still buy sandisk.

Voltron
July 10th, 2006, 20:48
I have a 2GB SanDisk Ultra II PRO Duo and Ultra II's are the best in my opinion. A little more pricey but the added performance and reliability make it worth it. I've had both a Sony & a non Ultra II SanDisk.

The Ultra II's make a huge difference. And there is now a 4GB Ultra II. Once the price drops (probably September or October) I will be getting one.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/Products/130/Ult2_MSPD_4GB-130.gif

mog
July 10th, 2006, 22:06
It's kinda slow...
4 GB MS = 4,000,000,000 Bytes = 3,906 MB (approx)
15 Mbps transfer speed = 1.875 MB/s

Sooo... to transfer all 4GB would take about 35 mins!!

Sony High-Speed and Sandisk Ultra II MS Pro Duo transfer at 80 Mbps (10 MB/s).
To transfer 4GB on one of these would take less than 7 minutes.

And Sandisk Extreme III MS Pro Duo transfer at 120 Mbps (18 MB/s).
Sadly, this beast only comes in 1 GB and 2 GB sizes so far.
But if a 4 GB version was available it would only take less than 4 minutes to transfer 4GB.

But then theres that 8 GB memory stick that sony may be releasing this year:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_5806.html

But if that is gonna the same speed it would take an entire hour to write the whole thing...
I'm waiting for a 4 GB Sandisk Extreme III, with it's one gig per minute transfer rate! :p

PraiseBrad
July 10th, 2006, 22:20
seeing as how sandisk owns half the patent rights to the same memory stick that sony produces and charges to much for you would have to be a retard to buy the sony product

Voltron
July 10th, 2006, 22:35
Heres hoping for an 8gb Extreme III PRO Duo in the near future. Provided an exploit or workaround to bypass the 4GB limit on current PSP firmwares.

I'd settle for a 4gb Extreme III PRO Duo. Are you reading this SanDisk? PSP homebrewers will be one of your largest customer base for these beasts.

Ghengis
July 10th, 2006, 22:59
Is there any point whatever to owning a 4GB stick when the biggest a UMD can be is 1.8GB (uncompressed), and high-quality video runs at less than 1GB/2hours? I mean, if you can get two 2GB sticks for 50x2=100 bucks, or one 4GB stick for 200 bucks, what's the point of spending all that extra cash just to avoid carting around a second stick? Techbargains can find you a 2GB Sandisk Ultra 2 for 53 bucks, including an MS full-size adapter. And you people want to blow 4x that for a card with only twice the capactiy?

Emeriastone
July 10th, 2006, 23:47
I'm gonna wait for it to become ebay fodder. CHEAP.

emuking
July 11th, 2006, 00:10
wraggster new devhook is out, it lets you emulate 2.6 firmware check psp-hacks.com

Pumped'Up
July 11th, 2006, 00:17
Sandisk is the way to go. Cheaper and faster than Sony cards. I've got a 1GB Sandisk card, but I'm going to skip this 4GB version and wait for the 8GB to arrive...hopefully soon!!!!

O-bake
July 11th, 2006, 00:30
Does the Firmware 1.50 support 4GB sticks?
Can anyone with FW 1.5 and a 4GB stick confirm that?

Voltron
July 11th, 2006, 01:42
Is there any point whatever to owning a 4GB stick when the biggest a UMD can be is 1.8GB (uncompressed), and high-quality video runs at less than 1GB/2hours?

Uhhhh, YEAH! And anyone saying there is no point either won't ever be able to afford one, or doesn't truly know how to utilize the wealth of homebrew available for the PSP.

Sure, I play games off of my memory stick and extra space would be very welcome when it comes to that, but even for people who don't use ISO's will benefit from more storage on the PSP. For instance, I could easily fill up a 4GB PRO Duo with ROMS's for the dozens of quality Emulators available for the PSP and thousands of ROMS available for them. Then there is MP3's and MP4 (AVC) Videos.

The PSP is a JOKE when it comes to storage. The only thing that will save it in that regard is if the PS3 allows you to store files to stream to your PSP. iR Shell also helps by allowing you to stream homebrew to your PSP. My iPod can hold 60GB but yet my PSP which can do so much more than an iPod is limited to 4GB? WTF is that Bull$**t?

Even the 8GB PRO Duo's that may or may not work on 1.50 PSP's won't be enough if you ask me. Are we forgetting that Sony will be bringing a PSOne EMU with LOTS of games available to download to the PSP?

The PSP needs more and better storage solutions. PERIOD.

Does the Firmware 1.50 support 4GB sticks? Can anyone with FW 1.5 and a 4GB stick confirm that?

Yes, if you have a 1.50 PSP, 4GB PRO Duo's work GREAT!

Mr. Shizzy
July 11th, 2006, 01:46
Does the Firmware 1.50 support 4GB sticks?
Can anyone with FW 1.5 and a 4GB stick confirm that?

Yes. I have a 1.5 PSP. And I just bought a Sandisc 4GB MS Pro Duo. I must say it is very nice to have so much memory, but 8GB - now that would be sweet!!!
(I'm a real stickler and hate having multiple memory cards) Can someone confirm if there is a 4Gb limit in the 1.5? Thanks in advance.:cool:

inlovewithi
July 11th, 2006, 14:54
So 1.5 supports 4gb. How about the other versions, did Sony put a limit to the other firmwares?