PDA

View Full Version : Geohot - PS3 Hacking News - What it is and What it isnt

wraggster
January 26th, 2010, 23:24
News from Geohot himself:

First off, this is not a release blog like "On The iPhone". If you are expecting some tool to be released from this blog like blackra1n, stop reading now. If you have a slim and are complaining this hack won't work for you, stop reading now. WE DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY, NOR WILL WE EVER. If you are looking for piracy, stop reading now. If you want to see the direction in which I will take this blog, read the early entries in the iPhone one. Information on this blog is for research purposes only.

That aside, I'll tell you what I have so far. I have added two hypercalls, lv1_peek and lv1_poke. peek reads memory in real space(including all the MMIO), poke writes it. I can also add other arbitrary hypercalls as I see fit.

The hypervisor is complicated, it is written in C++ and is PPC, which I am not that familiar with yet. At first I was trying to add a hypercall to add arbitrary real memory to the LPAR, but it kept crashing(because I can't code), which is really annoying, because I have to wait while Linux reboots.

Some people pointed out that I have not accessed the isolated SPEs. This is true. Although as far as doing anything with the system, it doesn't matter. The PPE can't read the isolated data, but it can kick the isolated SPEs out. Decrypt the PPE binary you need using the intact SPE and save the decrypted version. Kick out the SPE, and patch the decrypted version all you want. And interesting note, by the time you get to OtherOS, all 7 working SPEs are stopped.

Despite this, I am working on the isolated SPEs now(which I can now load), because what I'd really like to do is post decryption keys here so you guys can join the fun.

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-it-is-and-what-it-isnt.html