PDA

View Full Version : Geohot - PS3 Hacking News - PS3 Exploit Released

wraggster
January 26th, 2010, 23:28
More News from Geohot (http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/heres-your-silver-platter.html)and the release of the PS3 Exploit:

In the interest of openness, I've decided to release the exploit. Hopefully, this will ignite the PS3 scene, and you will organize and figure out how to use this to do practical things, like the iPhone when jailbreaks were first released. I have a life to get back to and can't keep working on this all day and night.

Please document your findings on the psDevWiki. They have been a great resource so far, and with the power this exploit gives, opens tons of new stuff to document. I'd like to see the missing HV calls filled in, nice memory maps, the boot chain better documented, and progress on a 3D GPU driver. And of course, the search for a software exploit.

This is the coveted PS3 exploit, gives full memory access and therefore ring 0 access from OtherOS. Enjoy your hypervisor dumps. This is known to work with version 2.4.2 only, but I imagine it works on all current versions.

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

ThatotherPerson
January 26th, 2010, 23:34
Cool. I can't wait to see someone more knowledgeable then me take advantage of this and work out something useful with it.

Shrygue
January 26th, 2010, 23:35
I really think that this exploit should have been kept under wraps for a bit longer. I bet old Sony will take a good look at this and then work out what to patch up in the next firmware release, though I do understand it's a hardware based exploit. All the more for them to make things in terms of hacking the system harder. We'll see how it all pans outs though.

Insomniac-Evolution
January 27th, 2010, 00:19
Why longer? sony will patch anyway, thats inevitable, so people might aswell hack away now lol hopefully something useful happens by releasing it, big appreciation to who does

steve520
January 27th, 2010, 00:51
cross your fingers for a custom firmware lol.

gr42178
January 27th, 2010, 02:57
SWEEEEEEEEET cant wait to see nes/snes/n64 etc etc in 1080p!!!!!:thumbup:

ED13
January 27th, 2010, 03:37
SWEEEEEEEEET cant wait to see nes/snes/n64 etc etc in 1080p!!!!!:thumbup:

+10:thumbup:

strider183
January 27th, 2010, 03:43
sony better fix this fast! we all know what happen to the psp

steve520
January 27th, 2010, 03:46

lol what the homebrew, emulators, and many other advances which have come with the psp being hacked? If your referring to piracy i guess i understand but otherwise this is a great opportunity for homebrew developers and coders to make magic on the most powerful console.

tinman
January 27th, 2010, 03:46
I really think that this exploit should have been kept under wraps for a bit longer. I bet old Sony will take a good look at this and then work out what to patch up in the next firmware release, though I do understand it's a hardware based exploit. All the more for them to make things in terms of hacking the system harder. We'll see how it all pans outs though.

Geohot only hacked the PS3 to hack it, nothing more. He does care if Sony patches it.

wilcofalco
January 27th, 2010, 07:49
sony cant fix this its in the hardware we need dark-alex back now!

Insomniac-Evolution
January 27th, 2010, 13:59
sony cant fix this its in the hardware we need dark-alex back now!

LOL there is good developers out there besides DA, he may even had his time and had enough. I sure wouldn't like the responsibility to millions of people expecting more, who knows? he may pop up in the ps3 scene...

phsychokill
January 27th, 2010, 15:09
this hack is all good and well but reading the info it requires a certain speed pulse on one of the via's making it very in accessible to the public (shoving a chip in would be easier for the majority of people who do this type of thing) what you have to hope is some1 can take this and find some way to make a software option (by finding out the encryptions or a flaw in the system that wasn't seen before)

as I said before I wouldn't be doing back flips and partying just yet, as it is still a hardware hack and needs electrical equipment to achieve it making it inaccessible to the standard user (at least for now) looking at how it works the only way Sony can really block it is with a hardware revision with a defence added against the pulse.

jamotto
January 27th, 2010, 15:38
looking at how it works the only way Sony can really block it is with a hardware revision with a defense added against the pulse.

Which will no doubt be arriving soon.

DPyro
January 27th, 2010, 15:42
Which will no doubt be arriving soon.

Doesn't matter, there are already 32+ million PS3's out in the wild with this 'bug'.

phsychokill
January 27th, 2010, 16:41
the only way sony can fix this in all the PS3's that are already out (in houses) is to literally come knock on your door with a legal document allowing them to take the hardware from you. (and that would cost them way too much and would never issued due to certain laws)

as for stock in shops, yes Sony could recall it all, but do you really think they want to take the PS3 off the market for however long it takes them to fix the bug (since it is related to a chip and they cant just take the connections out) and however long it takes them to produce enough of the new hardware to meet market demand for the entire world?

this bug is going to be in PS3's for a while and eventually will slowly die out as newer models come down the line, they did it with the PS1, they did it with the PS2 and they did it with the PSP, it's not a fault they can magically click their fingers and make it vanish. it is going to be months before Sony get to the point were they have the fix (if they even can without radically changing the hardware) and have the new hardware selling as a majority.

so basically unless you think Sony are going to sneak into your room one night and swap your PS3 for a new one there is no way they can do a hardware modification on the existing PS3's (unless you send it back for repair)

wilcofalco
January 27th, 2010, 18:03
the only way sony can fix this in all the PS3's that are already out (in houses) is to literally come knock on your door with a legal document allowing them to take the hardware from you. (and that would cost them way too much and would never issued due to certain laws)

as for stock in shops, yes Sony could recall it all, but do you really think they want to take the PS3 off the market for however long it takes them to fix the bug (since it is related to a chip and they cant just take the connections out) and however long it takes them to produce enough of the new hardware to meet market demand for the entire world?

this bug is going to be in PS3's for a while and eventually will slowly die out as newer models come down the line, they did it with the PS1, they did it with the PS2 and they did it with the PSP, it's not a fault they can magically click their fingers and make it vanish. it is going to be months before Sony get to the point were they have the fix (if they even can without radically changing the hardware) and have the new hardware selling as a majority.

so basically unless you think Sony are going to sneak into your room one night and swap your PS3 for a new one there is no way they can do a hardware modification on the existing PS3's (unless you send it back for repair) well said

Spotfist
January 27th, 2010, 18:18

if u imply that homebrew killed the psp I would think again, the handheld market was gona be hard anyways, look at the game gear... nintendo did something better than anyone else had done and made it mor fun than just putting a console in ur hands, the psp was more of a console in ur hands and it showed!

its a real shame we cant get homebrew without the piracy, every1 likes free stuff but at the expense of any future stuff... thats just dumb!

not sure i would hack my ps3 to be honest, i play waaaaaay too much on-line so would miss out on that :( sega roms would be great though, last weekened my bro and would have killed for a game of streets of rage!!! ;)

darkriku2000
January 27th, 2010, 19:38
probably won't be working on a slim :(

feddon
January 27th, 2010, 22:19
if this ends up with a otherOS that has full power (say windows 95 or whatever or a good linux build) well whatever will allow some decent emus and better video support (subtitles and mkv im thinking) this will probably end up the best thing about my ps3.

jonezybaby
January 28th, 2010, 21:19
all i can say is i hope this comes to something for the homebrew community but please please please dont include an iso loader. iso loaders kill chances of great games!! the ps3 is hard enough to code for as it is and an iso loader will put developers off makin games for the ps3!