PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to play all PSOne, PS2 games

wraggster
July 11th, 2006, 00:49
Sony's PlayStation 3 will play almost every PlayStation game, a senior IBM staffer has claimed. It's not clear how many PSOne titles won't play, but according to Tom Reeves, VP of semiconductor and technology services at IBM, even 40 of them was too high a number for Sony.

In an Electronic News interview, Reeves said: "Sony is very concerned about quality and backward compatibility. They want to get this right. They tested game after game after game. When there were about 40 PlayStation 1 games that didn’t work properly, that didn’t pass their criteria for quality."

Sony's PlayStation chief, Ken Kutaragi, first promised the PS3 would play PlayStation and PS2 games back in September 2003. However, how well the next-generation console will do so and across how many titles has always been open to question, especially once Microsoft shipped its Xbox 360 console, which still plays only a sub-set of original Xbox titles, using emulation software. As of June 2006, the 360 will play only 227 Xbox games, though ongoing updates to the emulation code regularly add more to the list.

JKKDARK
July 11th, 2006, 00:56
Well, since the Wii will has compatibility with all their old consoles, it is great if the PS3 want to be better.

Shadowblind
July 11th, 2006, 01:23
Too bad the 360 hardly plays much of its old games

JKKDARK
July 11th, 2006, 01:31
Yeah, only 100+ games. Also, we can't use PSO Ep I & II in the xbox 360 :mad:

MasterChafed
July 11th, 2006, 07:00
thats why i am keeping my xbox when i get the 360.

acn010
July 11th, 2006, 07:12
xbox is sinking way down,
yeah, the ps3 is gonna be good, with compatability on old consules, and besides, maybe the graphics may increase a little bit,and run way smoother than the ps2

modbox69
July 11th, 2006, 09:24

just downlaod the patch for the xbox game on ur xbox360 so u can play it..

ACID
July 11th, 2006, 09:52
For the price tag they are going to sell this PS3 it should be compatible. Nintendo WII is compatible via download.

Mpayne2
July 20th, 2006, 17:42
It sed in this months psm2 mag that they have to put extra chips in costing more money.

JKKDARK
July 21st, 2006, 20:20
just downlaod the patch for the xbox game on ur xbox360 so u can play it..
I think that you are wrong..

NoQuarter
July 25th, 2006, 11:32
With all that backwards compatibility exploits are sure to be discovered

Uruz 6
July 25th, 2006, 12:04
Given the price the ps3 will have they MUST make it compatible with old games..

F9zDark
July 26th, 2006, 02:28
Honestly, why all the complaining about the price? Yeah its expensive, but thats what a job is for.

Given the specifications of the system, I'd rather spend a little more and get a hell of a lot more in terms of performance than I'd get from a Wii (which, the name of the system alone tells me I shouldn't buy it; Nintendo playing up to the kiddie crowd, like always) or Xbox360.

Not to mention, I am under the impression that all of the games that Wii allows you play must be purchased from a download service; hardly backwards compatibility if you ask me, since GameTap does the same damn thing.

Hawky05
July 28th, 2006, 01:11
Well said!!

yeah the price may be a little steep but for what your getting... it's completely worth it.

Blu
Ray

end of. xD

stotheamuel
July 28th, 2006, 05:16
exactly its a one time payment... so wait a few months to buy a game

its better than waiting a year to buy it a hundred dollars cheaper

dtothabreezy
July 28th, 2006, 06:45
the thing is with the ps3 is that its gonna be way to much for the casual gamer i belive i game all the time and im waiting for a price drop if it was 100$ chepear it may be in my ball park but right now its on the others side of the world:o but i do like the fact that itll play back compat but i dont think blurays gonna be much different for pepole who cant afford hd tvs:mad:

o and this is my 200 th post o yah o yah ok im done