PDA

View Full Version : Game Ports for Kids/Learning

wraggster
July 22nd, 2004, 14:04
its great to have so many games ported across but i was wondering if someone with the talent could port a few say SDL ports of kiddies games /learning tools for kids.

anything from the age of 3 up

even 5 minute ports that open up a new area would be cool.

we could have a dreamcast kids area :P

curt_grymala
July 22nd, 2004, 15:24
That would be awesome. I would love to see a few things on the DC to help my kids learn, or even games that I could play with my kids.

On a slight offshoot - even though I don't have a keyboard, it would be pretty cool to see a few kids' typing tutor games ported to the DC.

wraggster
July 22nd, 2004, 15:40
yeah anything that gives a learning edge to the scene

quzar
July 22nd, 2004, 16:02
bring examples of SDL learning games, and i will gladly look at them. Although Im not the best at it, I can give at least an analysis of whether or not it can be ported and at best port it.

Kamjin
July 22nd, 2004, 16:05
I had thought about this before..
This is probably a good homebrew competition in the making ;)

wraggster
July 22nd, 2004, 16:13
hmm nice idea

/me looks at Metafox for his opinins too

a dreamcast scene comp for kids/learning games ;)

this could be an excellent idea ;)

Eric
July 23rd, 2004, 08:01
LOL i was thinking of it also. But i didnt think anybody would feel interested in this idea. I am glad you came out and spoke it wraggster. I would love to see Math Blaster if thats what it is called on the dc or my fav cause my friends have been dying to see this. Hard to find and no clue if there is a source for it Cross Country Canada a beautiful old game for dos that would definitly be portable that is if its in C++ but it most possibly would.

Eric

DCDayDreamer
July 23rd, 2004, 14:14
Kids games for DC? brilliant idea!

A competiton would be great for this, but what are the prizes? - a bag of candy? :P ;D.

maybe if this takes off and works out, DCEvo could throw a compilation image together of all the games entered.

wraggster
July 23rd, 2004, 14:41
ive just contacted someone of major respect ;) and hopefully we can turn this into an amzing idea

more to come for sure

quzar
July 23rd, 2004, 15:23
mmmmmmmmmm candy ;D

vipor231
July 23rd, 2004, 15:50
i hope this happens i have 2 kids,one that is 3 years old that is always asking for games for her computer.but hey the dc would be even better.... do it guys :D

Eric
July 23rd, 2004, 19:01
I cant wait to see what happens and to see how many people will support this project

WHurricane16
July 23rd, 2004, 19:37
Tux Math works. *Check my forums if my site is still up...it's there somewhere.

EDIT: *Check this site for interest.

http://ww2.tux4kids.com/

EDIT2: Tux Math is actually on my SDL page. The source and binary is packaged, but someone can actually fix the source to be a bit more friendly. I only got this work just to show how easy it was to get SDL programs working on the DC:

http://s101533388.onlinehome.us/sdl/files/tuxmath_src.zip

Eric
July 23rd, 2004, 23:22
I would love to see a typing program for the dreamcast thats if someone seems interested in that aswell

quzar
July 23rd, 2004, 23:55
Typing of the Dead and Evangelion Project E(?) Typing both come to mind.

Kamjin
July 23rd, 2004, 23:58
errr.. there goes the math invaders...
hmmmm... new idea time...

Eric
July 24th, 2004, 00:28
yeah but i dont have those typing games and cant find them another reason for a port of a typing game to bring back althose great memories of typing programs in school

krowstrife
July 24th, 2004, 01:37
hey i think this is a kool idea my sis is having a baby and by the time he is old enough there should be some awesome games

DCDayDreamer
July 24th, 2004, 05:18
Nothing like planning ahead ;).