PDA

View Full Version : How can you determine the firmware of a In Box Japanese PSP, Please help.

SuckerPunch
July 11th, 2006, 17:47
Can anyone tell me if there is any way to determine what firmware a Japanese PSP is based on labels on the box. I've checked wikipedia and found nothing.

I'm looking to buy a Japanese white PSP that's downgradable for my brother.

Unfortunately, most of the ones I've found on ebay are new in box and simply list that they are 2.x and the seller has no clue what firmware that means.

I know that any PSP that originally had firmware below 2.5 is downgradable and I know that firmware 2.5 was released in early Oct 2005 and any PSP produced before that should be downgradable, but none of the sellers know when their PSPs were produced.

Can anyone tell me what firmware 2.x means. Can firmware 2.x mean that it is not downgradable or are all firmware 2.x PSP's downgradable.

Please help, I really want to get my bro a PSP that can run firmware.

Thanks.

Kramer
July 11th, 2006, 17:55
its safe to downgrade a factory 2.5/2.6 and i dont think sony have shipped 2.7 yet and i heard that the core packs normally come with TA-082 so stay away from the core packs.

SuckerPunch
July 11th, 2006, 18:07
you can't downgrade factory 2.5/2.6 psps's if they have a ta-082, and there isn't any way to tell if they do based on the box from what I heard.

So I don't want to risk it to buy 2.5/2.6 psps.

Any suggestions on what 2.x means?

Kramer
July 11th, 2006, 18:11
i know what it means just dont know how to explain it
most of the time when people say that they mean any firmware from 2.1-2.6

SuckerPunch
July 11th, 2006, 18:14
Thank you. That was what I guessed.

I was wondering if there was anything else on the Japanese box that might indicate what firmware the PSP actually is. Thank you so much.

Kramer
July 11th, 2006, 18:24
yeah heres a good guide that will help you out
http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=28717&highlight=box+code

SuckerPunch
July 11th, 2006, 19:43
Thank you so much.

Kramer
July 11th, 2006, 19:46
thats alright dude