PDA

View Full Version : PSMoz 2.5 WHITE NOISE Version

Raydar
July 11th, 2006, 21:09
Friends, summer is upon us. Many of us will be taking off on our vacations and camping trips - you know the score by now. The latest version of PSMoz is here!

Here we have the ultimate version, entitled WHITE NOISE, which contains a redesigned audio file. The ultrasonic sound is now several times more powerful than before and is less audible to human ears. This latest version has been tried and tested and is certainly more effective than previous versions.

How the effect is achieved:

Ultra high pitched sound mimics the tone emitted by male mosquitoes.
White Noise (dead sound which interferes with the PSMoz effect) has been almost completely removed.

I don't want to say that this will be the last release, but I can't think of anything which would enhance the audio file any more. If anyone wants to compile this into an EBOOT, drop me a line.

Contact here (mailto:[email protected])
Donations here (mailto: [email protected])
RAYDAR :cool:

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

thesandman
July 11th, 2006, 21:19
so this thing. . .repels mosquitos?

mavsman4457
July 11th, 2006, 21:24
I think it is better as an mp3 because then 2.7+ users can use this, not that it would matter to me.

lilvietquoc
July 11th, 2006, 23:05
yeah it repels mesquitoz
sounds like a whack program
gotta try it for myself!!!:D

N1ghtshade
July 11th, 2006, 23:26
thats...awesome! I'm actually downloading this. Genius!It would great in flash...if that would work. I hear lua kills quality a bit though

blaz3d
July 11th, 2006, 23:28
If the last release is anything to go by this will save your hide as it did mine!

cleva bit of kit m8! keep up the good work

chaos-is-me
July 12th, 2006, 00:24
Haha, what wacky homebrew! Might download it just to puzzle my mates!

T-2000
July 12th, 2006, 01:01
thats...awesome! I'm actually downloading this. Genius!It would great in flash...if that would work. I hear lua kills quality a bit though

I dont think the Mosquito's are to bothered about quality... :p

Hungry Horace
July 12th, 2006, 01:21
I dont think the Mosquito's are to bothered about quality... :p

you are actually wrong!

the whole point of this would be to generate inaudible (to humans) frequencies which the mozzies dont like... mp3's are designed to cut out frequencies we cant hear, in order to compress the sound into a smaller data file.

as a result, quality would be a very *big* issue to ensure that this actually worked.... since cutting out too many frequencies (by overly compressing, or lack of audio quality) would stop it from working.

i am studying a Masters in audio technology, so this isnt just speculation, its scientific fact.

N1ghtshade
July 12th, 2006, 02:19
I was actually a bit confusing with that post. I meant something more like "Lua is another option, but the player (I hear) rapes audio quality"

Sorry for the wierd post. thanks for clearing that up a bit for us Horace!

what kinds of compression preserve inaudible frequencies? I'm a bit of an audiophile meeself.

nigelrigel
July 12th, 2006, 04:55
i'll check this one out this weeking im going in the bush where there are a shit load of moSQUITOZ, the last one didnt work well at all, mosquitoz, came right up to in without fear, i hope this one works bettter. (GREAT IDEA THO)

jensy
July 12th, 2006, 12:05
yeah i had a program similar to this, on my nokia Ngage. it worked really well. sup all, im jensy, lol.

Ichijoe
July 12th, 2006, 12:40
Humm there really arn't that many Sketters round where I live (e.g. Big City),. But do you think you can make something to repel my Mother-in-law?!? LOL

Besides I find that the Electo-UV-Blacklight (i.e. Bugzapper), usually gets the job done for me!

mcvader
July 12th, 2006, 21:51
I live in south australia so this is the PERFECT piece of homebrew for me as the air is thick with mozzies,
one thing tho, my dog enjoys chasing them down and snapping at the littles *******s. this isn't gonna turn my beloved PSP into a target for other animal's is it?

jensy
July 13th, 2006, 01:30
nah it won't attract animals, Theres no reason for it to.

It doesn't actually repel mosquito's, it just blocks their senses, thats how mosquito repellent works, too.

Think about it, if you were walking near a building, and the closer you got, the less you could hear, see, smell, taste etc, you'd shit your pants and walk away from it, too.

samidgley
July 13th, 2006, 11:13
Is there a sound that would get rid of midges? There aren't a great deal of Mosquittoes around here, but midges are pretty annoying in the summer

Hungry Horace
July 13th, 2006, 12:29
Sorry for the wierd post. thanks for clearing that up a bit for us Horace!

no probs. - i coulda sworn i already answered this post!

what kinds of compression preserve inaudible frequencies? I'm a bit of an audiophile meeself.

very few compression types do! its the most efficient way to compress sound - by getting rid of what we cant hear. Although the arguement that it wont sound as good lies in the fact that some of those frequencies will resonate (vibrate) parts of our body, (internally) and so although you cant hear the sound, you will subconciously "feel" it, thus hightening the experience.

the best bet would be to have a high quality wav, 24-bit 96khz preferably! (like dvd *can* be), or better still (to save space) run from a software based oscillator which actually generates the sound "on the fly" (no pun intended) as it were.

having now listened to the mp3's with this program, if it *does* work, i imagine that mozzies must be affected by high pitched sound *just* within our range of hearing, since otherwise the mp3 would lose the effective bit of the sound when encoded. either that or it uses a custom-made encoding technique which presrves ultra-high frequencies.

Dammit2Hell
July 13th, 2006, 16:46
I am assuming that with a set of external speakers the range of effectiveness could be greater. Perhaps to use it outside like on the patio?