PDA

View Full Version : Report: Sony pulls controversial PSP ads

wraggster
July 11th, 2006, 21:19
News from Gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6153816.html)

Debate over a recent Sony billboard in the Netherlands advertising the release of the Ceramic White PSP in the region was fittingly white-hot last week. That's when an ad featuring a Caucasian woman holding a black woman by the jaw in a threatening manner was decried as racially insensitive.

Today, one of those who criticized the ad and condemned Sony for running it, California Assemblyman Leland Yee, instead commended the publisher. According to a statement from Yee, Sony has pulled the advertising campaign and apologized to anyone offended by it.

"I am pleased to see Sony taking responsibility for their racially-charged ad and appropriately pulling it from the marketplace," Yee said. "Sony did the right thing by recognizing their insensitive mistake and apologizing for offending many of their customers."

Yee was backed in his condemnation of Sony by representatives from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the civil rights education group Sojourn to the Past. Sony originally defended the ad, saying its only intent was to contrast the colors of its two models of PSP. It still didn't sit well for Rick Callender, president of the San Jose/Silicon Valley NAACP.

"Their attempt to contrast colors clearly created controversy and sparked painful feelings in the global community," Callender said. "Hopefully in the future, Sony will employ a better litmus test to their ad campaigns to determine if they will be sour to the taste of worldwide consumers."

The_It
July 11th, 2006, 21:27
Is this saying white psps are racist?! Or is it just the add?

bm4n
July 11th, 2006, 22:45
this is retarded, it was a harmless add showing the differences between two colors...once white and ones black. people will find offense to anything. this is like saying im being racially offensive because i am white. i hope nobody notices...:eek:

acn010
July 11th, 2006, 22:49
lol, oh god, why in this world, why

Voltron
July 11th, 2006, 22:54
Yeah, I'd have more respect for Sony if they did NOT buckle under pressure. They did not make the ad with a racist agenda in mind so if they just stuck to their guns and for what they believe in I would admire that.

However, the whole thing could have been one cleverly devised marketing scheme. They could have known it was going to draw attention and were prepared to remove the ad after the controversy when enough attention would have been brought to the ad and the PSP.

Clever Sony!

The_It
July 11th, 2006, 23:17
only racists would see this as being racist, a non racist would not pay attention to what color they are.

MicroNut
July 12th, 2006, 01:39
hey Yee!
Imagine your black bits here...
?

idapimp
July 12th, 2006, 05:21
i think it's funny that the ads were only in the netherlands and IT'S ALL THE REST OF THE WORLD THAT GETS PISSED. kinda humorous.

ACID
July 12th, 2006, 06:06
People just need to get a grip.

Athlonman74
July 12th, 2006, 17:01
So let me get this straight. The ad featured, "a Caucasian woman holding a black woman by the jaw in a threatening manner" so if the black woman was holding the Caucasian woman in a threating manner that would have been ok most likely...

Accordion
July 12th, 2006, 17:12
i think the fact that both women are heavily made up with paint and makeup and stuff makes it clear its about colour divide, not the people involved.
again only those with racist views(however hidden) would find this offensive.
there were more than 100 photos taken, with both characters fighting equally with no outcome...pretty equal to me(though i dont like fighting)

i dont see much of a fuss about the christian missionarys going around converting everyone or killing them. or the whole osama is a terrorist so lets go and invade iraq( not where osama is...hes in the USA) ah the worlds too crazy

Video_freak
July 12th, 2006, 18:56
this is kinda off topic but i like the black psp better. OMG!!! that means i'm racist!!! :eek:

xsimmonsx
July 12th, 2006, 20:05
If we had a 'National Association for the Advancement of White People (NAAWP)' would that be racist?

Accordion
July 12th, 2006, 21:06
to xsimmonsx:

erm we already have one and it is... its called R.C.
i dont want to be too controversial, so if you dont know what i mean then pm me