PDA

View Full Version : More Settlers DS News

wraggster
July 11th, 2006, 22:42
Via Cubed (http://www.cubed3.com/news/5492)

French heavyweight company Ubisoft has announced it is set to support Nintendo even more by bringing a real-time strategy classic to the Nintendo DS. In collaboration with Ubisoft's Blue Byte team, the former PC-only game Settlers will début on the DS later this year.

The game will be based on the series' 'popular gaming mechanism' of building construction and ensuring their is sufficient infrastructure. Providing better road networks results in a stronger economy, and you continue from there. It is set to make full use of the stylus control via the touch-screen, and make good use of the two screens. Below are some of the key features to watch out for:

Two campaigns: "Roman" and "World"

A Free Gaming Mode, letting all people play against an AI opponent

Thirty different occupational groups and six different soldier types

Four types of people (Roman, Viking, Nubian, and Asian)

Varying environments (woods, lava, icy areas, swamps, and so on) across seven vast continents

Easy-to-use interface and controls thanks to the stylus

Action on the top screen can be switched with the bottom at any time to suit you requirements

Variable zoom is included for watching your Settlers

Ralf Wirsing, Business Development Director of Ubisoft in Germany and Studio Manager of Blue Byte, had this to say:

"[ We are ] happy to be able to offer the successful Settlers series to the handheld fans. Strategic games are also very interesting for Nintendo players. Gladly enough, the gaming principle of The Settlers supports the functions of the Nintendo DS in a unique way.”

Let us hope this succeeds and convinces others to bring the likes of Command & Conquer, Cannon Fodder and StarCraft to the DS...

Mazza
July 12th, 2006, 15:53
What no wifi?

If this does have wifi for multiplayer it would kick ass but i still want it even if it doesn't

dkjr83
July 12th, 2006, 19:07
This may be the greatest video game news I have ever heard. I was using PSP homebrew instead of DS mainly b/c I could emulate this game with an Amiga emulator, but now it looks like I can start homebrewing on the DS and have the best of both worlds.