PDA

View Full Version : Would the Release of a Full Speed (or near full speed) Get a Bad Reaction From Sony

wraggster
July 12th, 2006, 00:28
The upcoming release of the PSone emulator by Sony is their attempt to stop a lot of homebrewers and make a bag of cash in the process.

Now if a coder on this scene were to release a Full Speed or near full speed PSOne emulator for PSP would this be the catalyst for Sony to punish the coder/release site and the homebrew scene as a whole ?

Lets be realistic, its very likely a full speed PSOne emulator can be done by porting one of the great PSone emulators to the PSP, but Sony have been known to get pissy in the past with PSone emulators for Windows, Mac and Dreamcast.

If such a release were to happen what do you think would be Sonys Reaction ?

Xiro
July 12th, 2006, 00:32
I think its rather obvious that sony would press charges and definately go to court with the creator. But if it is already on the net along with the source, there isnt much sony can do to stop it. It would be spread and the source would be updated

remansano
July 12th, 2006, 00:37
I don't know...
coders would emulate the new firmware with the PSOne emulator in FW1.5 anyway...

Kramer
July 12th, 2006, 00:39
sony would probly stop making new firmwares

HellsPlumber
July 12th, 2006, 00:41
Yeah.They'd take the creator to court but once the homebrews out there,$ony cant stop it spreadin.Why wont they give us homebrew on all firmwares!?!

felonyr301
July 12th, 2006, 00:48
i say send the program out to the web and the creator doesnt give out any info that would lead to sony finding him and nobody gets hurt

O-bake
July 12th, 2006, 00:50
The author could post it anonymous, which even would be more funny :)
to all of us

DPyro
July 12th, 2006, 00:51
Sony can't press charges to people who make emulators as its not illegal. Distributing the PSX bios or roms is another issue and they have every right to press charges.

pkmaximum
July 12th, 2006, 00:54
Legally could SONY do anything because I believe that emulation is a free and legal so even if SONY did take the creator of the emulator to court could they really do anything about it?

mavsman4457
July 12th, 2006, 01:00
The author could post it anonymous, which even would be more funny :)
to all of us

This would be funny but I bet if Sony really wanted to do so they could find out who it is and where they live. However I don't think Sony could do anything to the coder in charge. The homebrew emulation of the new firmware or a seperate PS1 emulator is inevitable in my eyes. It's just a matter of when this happens and how fast it is. If an emulator is made far after 3.0 comes out then I don't think it will be as much of a problem. But, if and emulator comes out just before Sony's release then Sony will be angry.

goldenmage
July 12th, 2006, 01:12
If the 2.5/2.6 downgrader hadn't been released, Sony might not strike so hard. But now that so many more have the power of full homebrew on their PSP, Sony is sure to attack.

brainpan
July 12th, 2006, 01:14
I dont think Sony could really do anything about a full speed PSone emu. The reason Sony purchased BLEEM was because they weren't winning the case against them anyway. I see Sony's PSone emu as another attempt to lure people away from the homebrew scene and, to be quite honest, it's a a damn good argument.

Voltron
July 12th, 2006, 01:27
I don't think Sony could easily go after someone just making an Emulator.

I mean Nintendo's upcoming Wii will boast emulators and you don't see Nintendo trying to bring litigation to the creators of Neter J, DGEN, Snes9xTYL, RIN, or zx-81 for his VBAPSP EMu.

I don't think there is anything to worry about. If Sony is unwilling or unable to take down the vast amount of PSP/PS2 ISO supporting sites, I don't think a homebrew PSOne EMU will be in harms way.

I am very much anticipating Sony's PSOne EMU but I am a die-hard 1.50 user. I'm hoping that the firmware that runs the PSone EMU can be emulated. It is now possible to emualte 2.60 firmware and I would suspect 2.70/2.71 to be able to be emulated soon so the future looks bright for 1.50 users who want the best of both worlds.

killurparents
July 12th, 2006, 01:35
They would definitely press charges. They would do so, whining like babies in the process.

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 01:45
Sony is pure evil. They give us the freedom to play whatever we want on the psp, then they fight to the death to try and take that away. But maby money is more evil because it makes sony do this.

Just think how nice it would be if the PSP was made to give US the most intertainment as possible instead of making Sony the most money as possible.

Lumir
July 12th, 2006, 01:46
Dosent matter what they do if you do it right. This site is just a news site, now if you give news about something but dont provide the links to it sony cant do much now can they?

Answer to this: Torrents

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 01:48
whats a Torrent?

skater9269
July 12th, 2006, 01:52
whats a Torrent are you for real

skater9269
July 12th, 2006, 01:52
have you ever used azures

skater9269
July 12th, 2006, 01:53
that is a torrent program : )

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 01:54
sorry, I have never done anything with torrents, so I don't really know anything about them.

Lumir
July 12th, 2006, 02:24
Lol yall been missing out if you havent used torrents. Find out online. (google)

fistikuffs
July 12th, 2006, 02:45
Oh yeah torrents rule!!! But to be honest i do prefer to download my homebrew from DCEMU because that way you know what you are getting. Torrents can be dodgy!!!

As for the PS emu i reckon, in light of the 2.6 downgrader and the latest Firmware emulation with Devhook, that Sony would come down like a ton of bricks on anyone they can. They want to control and get paid for how we use our PSPs. They don't want us doing stuff for free:mad:

RemixUnlimited
July 12th, 2006, 02:48
Wow, you might as well give him a link to a damn torrent site, why don't cha'? Torrents are good for people who don't like to pay for what they want (ie. warze whores). Torrents would slove nothing for PSX emu, probaly just make it worse. Sure, use torrents and get and Email from your ISP telling you that they are going to shut off your internet along with an Email telling you how much you are getting sued for.

Seriously, why are you encouraging warze?

MicroNut
July 12th, 2006, 03:01
A PSone emu is a good thing.

Let Sony play ball, if they can.

They have lost the "war" with -UP- now for sale.
And Ookm's Dual firmware chip in the works

With a 1.5 to 1.0 downgrader its only a matter of time before a 1.0 custom super firmware is released.

1.0 gives users the ability to flash custom firmware
Potentially making mod chips unnecessary.

fistikuffs
July 12th, 2006, 03:03
Wow, you might as well give him a link to a damn torrent site, why don't cha'? Torrents are good for people who don't like to pay for what they want (ie. warze whores). Torrents would slove nothing for PSX emu, probaly just make it worse. Sure, use torrents and get and Email from your ISP telling you that they are going to shut off your internet along with an Email telling you how much you are getting sued for.

Seriously, why are you encouraging warze?

Eh who do you work for? Torrents is one of the most efficent ways of distributing large files over the internet
and yes there is plenty of illegal torrents out there but plenty of legal torrents too. Try www.rebirthmuseum.com for starters where you will find a torrent for one of the best apps ever to appear on pc bar none. Have some fun with that and then you can go back to your wild accusations. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Also it is perfectly legal to download torrents of homebrew:D

RemixUnlimited
July 12th, 2006, 03:07
Eh who do you work for? Torrents is one of the most efficent ways of distributing large files over the internet
and yes there is plenty of illegal torrents out there but plenty of legal torrents too. Try www.rebirthmuseum.com for starters where you will find a torrent for one of the best apps ever to appear on pc bar none. Have some fun with that and then you can go back to your wild accusations. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Also it is perfectly legal to download torrents of homebrew:D

Lumir was not referring to legal homebrew and if he was he could of said DCemu becuase they have all the legal homebrew that is out.

mameuser
July 12th, 2006, 03:15
I think its rather obvious that No full speed is possible but maybe playable only

not here anymore
July 12th, 2006, 03:16
i think the news misses a little something in the title.. ;)

SSaxdude
July 12th, 2006, 03:40
Hopefully we'll be able to emulate the 3.0 update with Dev Hook then find a way to get the Playstation games for free. I laugh at Sony.

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 03:45
well, I wasn't really asking if torrents are legal or if they rule or not, I just wanted to know how to use them and what the difference is between them and ordinary downloads :(

I have no clue about what they are, so I don't really know what kind or question to ask about them

darkone1000
July 12th, 2006, 03:58
Is PSone emulation coming out with ver. 3.0 firmware? I think someone will release a full to near full speed emulator.

shibby420182
July 12th, 2006, 04:07
well, I wasn't really asking if torrents are legal or if they rule or not, I just wanted to know how to use them and what the difference is between them and ordinary downloads :(

I have no clue about what they are, so I don't really know what kind or question to ask about them

A torrent is usually a larger file that can be transfered threw a program in which it can be paused, resumed and maintained over an extended period of time where the file can be downloaded from many different persons to speed up the process. i think that about covers torrents, anyone else have more info they would like to add go for it, and if im totally wrong(which could happen as im very tired from a long day, and now how to dl them but not much else).

ryan2006
July 12th, 2006, 04:08
all i can say is RIP pspsone :(
i really had high hopes about tht emulator and we didnt even get an i quit post of pacmanfan he just stoped posting enywhere

samthegreat68
July 12th, 2006, 04:08

i dont know much about em, i dont really think i have any real use for them. but i think you find the adress for the file on a website and you type that into the torrent program you use and presto! you download that file.

but this site/forum isnt about torrents so im done

Lumir
July 12th, 2006, 04:13
Lumir was not referring to legal homebrew and if he was he could of said DCemu becuase they have all the legal homebrew that is out.

Lol your hallarious, I wasnt reffering to legal or illegal homebrew, I simply mentioned torrents as a alternitive way to release a ps1 emu for the psp, that way the emu would be harder to gain and less known for awhile. And i find it hallarious that you think a isp would call you, let you know how much your getting sued, and shut off your service.

One word... Privacy. And in fact you could sue whomever vialolated your rights. Read the fine print when you sing up for internet service....

Voltron
July 12th, 2006, 04:23
Hopefully we'll be able to emulate the 3.0 update with Dev Hook then find a way to get the Playstation games for free. I laugh at Sony.

I also am hoping for 3.0 firmware emulation someday. Or whatever firmware version will have the PSOne EMu. Although with each firmware release, it is increasingly difficult to emulate.

I must say though, if Sony can pull of a FULL SPEED PSOne EMU supporting hundreds or even thousands of games, they deserve to profit from that endeavor.

I mean think about it, if saving works, good sound support, and if there is screen scaling to fit the PSP's aspect ration, it would be more than worth it to shell out some dough to Sony.

Obviously we won't pay $29.99 - $49.99 per game, but I'd be more than willing to pay $4.99 - $14.99 depending on the game.

I'm rooting for Sony on this one and want them to pull it off.

zackforbing
July 12th, 2006, 04:29
Lol your hallarious, I wasnt reffering to legal or illegal homebrew, I simply mentioned torrents as a alternitive way to release a ps1 emu for the psp, that way the emu would be harder to gain and less known for awhile. And i find it hallarious that you think a isp would call you, let you know how much your getting sued, and shut off your service.

One word... Privacy. And in fact you could sue whomever vialolated your rights. Read the fine print when you sing up for internet service....
that, and the fact that most current torrent clients let you encrypt the data you're downloading/uploading so your ISP can't tell what you uploaded/downloaded.

if someone comes out with a fullspeed PS1 emu that it entirely reverse-engineered, sony can't do anything. that person created it completely. Now, if the coder uses code from the sony-owned emu, they're a lot more likely to be sued.

idapimp
July 12th, 2006, 04:51
someone do it. i would if i was a good coder but im not. honestly i think that we need a full speed emulator. lets test sony's limits. no matter what sony does there are a many coders to eventually put them back in there place. hell if any charges were pressed against any site or against any coder that in itself would give me reason to become a much better coder. i think i deserve the right to play backups of my games on a system thats not old and decrepid like the PSone (mine is broken). GO CODERS!

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 04:51
Thank you, Shibby.

nigelrigel
July 12th, 2006, 05:13
There is one this besides all this that really questions my mind, From all the hombrew, sony has come up with alteratives, to make people want to upgrade, (wipeout pure web browser, The extreme want for good flash) and now the ps1 emu, homebrew is the driving forse for these updates, im sure there wouldnt be many if people had never attempted to crak it, The point that im coming up with is that is sony makes 3.0 and it gets cracked then what will they include in the next firmware, more harware and games is all they have to offer. sony is fighting a losing battle and they're giving everyone what they want while they do it. Me, i say just sit back and let the good times roll
:D
-also i think that the ultamite solution for somebody making an emu, is not to try and CODE an ENTIRE EMULATOR, but to simply attemt and crack 3.0, And yes If it happend sony WOULD be Horrified.

Slade
July 12th, 2006, 06:23
I didn't read all the comments, so sorry if this has already been said. Like others already mentioned, emulation is perfectly legal so long as they don't include the bios with the emulator. Now I don't know sony's history of court cases, but the only ones I remember hearing about were with bleem, and not only did that contain everything needed to run PS games save for the games themselves, the creators were also trying to sale it.

So would sony even bother with it? I'm not so sure they would. Maybe send some threatening letters and whatnot, but would they engage in a legal battle that they'd surely lose? I'm not sure even sony is that evil/stupid.

Ah well, here's hoping either a PSone emu comes out or devhook is able to emulate whatever it takes to run sony's official emu.

doubledragon
July 12th, 2006, 06:24
If the coders remain anonymous Sony can't do a thing. Freedom of speech and expression will protect the coders of such action. As long as the developer aren't selling their emulators with the sony ps1 bios than there really isn't anything Sony can do from a legal standpont. Obviously Sony would be pissed off if someone were to come out with this but there really isn't anything they can do.

doubledragon
July 12th, 2006, 06:33
Sony can't press charges to people who make emulators as its not illegal. Distributing the PSX bios or roms is another issue and they have every right to press charges.

Sony couldn't do anything because the programming is his "work" It would be futile. Yes it is based on Sony property but it is still his work. If the programmer trys to sell his work than Sony would have grounds because he is profiting off of a property that originally wasn't his.

slayer2psp
July 12th, 2006, 06:50
im sure someone will find a way to use the emu sony makes.

fistikuffs
July 12th, 2006, 08:28

Lumir didn't make any specific mention of legality you jumped in and did it for him.

RE: Nigelrigel...your dead right the more firmware gets cracked and the more homebrew is released the more sony has to give to counter it. It's like free market economics (i think:confused: ) and we the consumer are going to benefit. Long live homebrew!!:D :D

Briggzy11
July 12th, 2006, 10:31
Personally...

...SOD sony there useless to be honest with you. They made the PSP so now they can move on and let the homebrew scene take over because lets face it, theres WAY more games on DCEMU for the PSP than there will EVER be commercial games, i can sense that.

But to be fair sony have done well trying to beat homebrew but just a shame they are not good enough.

stotheamuel
July 12th, 2006, 10:57
emulators are legal i thought

but sony would be pissed

ArchAngel
July 12th, 2006, 11:49
Well lets look at it this way, PSX games are almost dead in the ways of new titles and hardware, so emulation would fall under the act of data preservation. Just like emulation of GBC, NES, etc. GBA would still be illegal now to download just because its games are still under production and Nintendo is still making money from them. So I believe since they are making a PSOne emulator for the PSP, it is an upgrade for the PSP, not releasing of new titles for the PSX.

vettacossx
July 12th, 2006, 15:54
Originally Posted by $n!pR

TO KEEP SONY OF OUR ASS....

i think that if you were to port somthing like epsxe it would be perfect because anyone who has ALL THE PLUGINS for THIS EMU knows that it runs ANYGAME FASTER THAN THE ORIGINAL SPEED IF YOU USE THE RIGHT PLUGIN......and TOO KEEP OUR ASSES COVERED IT MIGHT BE scratch that WOULD DEF. be a good idea to MAKE SURE THE EMU REQUIRES A BIOS for legal resons and its already an existing emu FROM A PC VERSION THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE YOU COPULD ARGUE IN COURT THAT THE PC VERSION HAS BEEN OUT AND IN USE FOR YEARS WHY THE STINK NOW??? WE ARENT DOING ILLEGAL THINGS BY HOMEBREWING A PS1 EMULATOR AT ALL if its done PROPERLY THAT IS....WE ARE JUST DOING SOMTHING THAT DOES INDEED CUASE SCEA SONY TO BE " PISSY" SO TO SPEAK :)

benn
July 12th, 2006, 16:07
sorry Wrags but this post is dumb.
i mean it is beyond obvious.
they came down like a tonne of bricks on Bleem! etc.
they are imminently releasing their own emulator.
they intend to make a HELLUVA LOT OF MONEY from their own emulator.
they are struggling to balance their books in light of PS3 R&D

they would crucify whoever released the emu.
the moment is gone.
or they may make a settlement with the person(s).

either way, from day one i always hoped for a PS1 emu and now it looks like i will never have one. i own 1.5 and there is NO WAY sony will release the emu on anything less than 3.0 firmware.

LOOKitzHIEP
July 12th, 2006, 16:21
I dont think Sony could really do anything about a full speed PSone emu. The reason Sony purchased BLEEM was because they weren't winning the case against them anyway. I see Sony's PSone emu as another attempt to lure people away from the homebrew scene and, to be quite honest, it's a a damn good argument.

First of all, you are inept. Do you even know why Sony sued BLEEM? BLEEM was sued for the way they were advertising their product which used ingame screenshots to compare the way they looked with the use of their product and Sony's. Heard of copyright infringement right?

Anyways, it'd be a bigger issue if the emulator was being sold.

Accordion
July 12th, 2006, 16:24
to benn... im very tired

i think they will continue to ignore it actually, just release more updates which add so called "security" against unsigned code. i know the official stance is not a dislike of homebrew, but a general warning that the user is not covered for use of uncertified software.
it will be ignored, i do not know of any follow up on any websites which actually host illegal files (ps2nfo for one) so why would sony attack an as far as i know legal emulator?

Illegal Machine
July 12th, 2006, 16:36
Ive always had this suspicion that the ps2 had some sort of ps1 emulation going on in there, as opposed to just being hardware compatible.. kinda like xbox 360 has an xbox emulator in there.

I always wondered if those files could get dumped from the PS2 OS, and ported to the PSP.

benn
July 12th, 2006, 16:46
to benn... the thread isnt dumb because there are a lot of views expressed through it, not all one sided and obvious.

learn to read bro. i never said the thread was dumb.
sure, i guess i alluded to it but that is not what you jumped at.:p

Accordion
July 12th, 2006, 16:52
to benn...
sorry, your right... dont mind me ive just woke up (even though its 4:50pm!!) my apologies, though i am usally a very good reader, especially when it comes to kafka! i cant get enough of that.

oh and the ps2's psone compatibility is hardware (im quite sure)

Yungblaqs
July 12th, 2006, 18:01
with all the emulators for the PC, MAC and game consoles I doubt that sony would be able or would have the time to do anything about it....

LDChen
July 12th, 2006, 18:34
This thread re-opens a (very) old discussion started many years ago, when emulation was going to start his first coding successes.

About software products, things are technically simple.
We have two PSX emulators: one is free software and one is made by Sony.
What will I use? Of course, I will use the fastest, the most compatible one, and with more features/options.
So, if Sony wants to defeat a free product (or another commercial emu), the company must just made the best emulator around (and not too expansive, please), because the users are surely smart enough for understanding this fact.

Of course, the reality could be a lot different... for example, what will it happen if Sony will make a Software Patent on a PSX emulator? Simply, all other emulators of the same family will became ILLEGAL, and the Company will have all the rights for forcing the closing of similar projects and kill the emu authors.

Unfortunately, we all know that in this world there is always a way for making the life harder!

Sincerely,

LDChen.

SteveV2
July 12th, 2006, 19:03
If/when Sony do create a PSX emulator it will be 100% perfect, it can't really be anything else as it's yours or mine for money.

There are so many great PSX games, i've been topping up my collection from ebay recently as you can get them for next to nothing apart from some rare gems. Those rare gems should then be up for sale from Sony for the psp and i'll be a happy chappy :)

The coders on here are 1st class but I expect Sonys to be A* class.

Ennohex
July 12th, 2006, 19:22
Of course they would press charges, if they find grounds that is. I suggest checking law of emulation and such. As far as I know, emulation is legal as long as you have an original of the emulated game and you own the console that is emulated(thereby owning the bios).

No-one should be able to tell you what to do with your own stuff, it's unconstitutional.

Besides, competition between 2 is better than a monopoly of 1. Also, why should I buy games for PSP (emulated ps1) that I already own?

Besides, there's no way that I'm gonna upgrade just to play PS1 games on a PSP, and I think that's what Sony is aiming for.

Don't get me wrong though, I support Sony fully, but they shouldn't have the right to tell me what to do with my stuff.

Heck, I'd buy more games if Sony stopped making flippin' firmware updates. There are at least 3 titles I want, but won't play without an update. I bet if they stop the freekin' updates, their game sales will go up, but I'm not a market analyst or anything, so don't take my word for it.

I am pretty sure though that at least half of the market is homebrew orientated, Sony should stop ignoring us, and start helping us. Mebbe then we'll start helping them.

Accordion
July 12th, 2006, 21:11
This thread re-opens a (very) old discussion started many years ago, when emulation was going to start his first coding successes.

About software products, things are technically simple.
We have two PSX emulators: one is free software and one is made by Sony.
What will I use? Of course, I will use the fastest, the most compatible one, and with more features/options.
So, if Sony wants to defeat a free product (or another commercial emu), the company must just made the best emulator around (and not too expansive, please), because the users are surely smart enough for understanding this fact.

Of course, the reality could be a lot different... for example, what will it happen if Sony will make a Software Patent on a PSX emulator? Simply, all other emulators of the same family will became ILLEGAL, and the Company will have all the rights for forcing the closing of similar projects and kill the emu authors.

Unfortunately, we all know that in this world there is always a way for making the life harder!

Sincerely,

LDChen.

the good news is software patents dont mean anything in europe, the EU doesnt sanction software patents at all.... haha sony

Tanis6909
July 12th, 2006, 21:30
so, i cant help thinking that Sony cant actually do it...they're fighting a losing battle here, not too many users are going to upgrade just to play PS1 games if it means losing the dozens, possibly hundreds of homebrew games & emu's we already have...plus, they have to know that eventually, we're going to get around it....hell, you guys have cracked how many fimrware versions now?? what they should do is just find some way to support homebrew and work with it, rather than against it

GtGW
July 13th, 2006, 10:57
The obvious course of action Sony would take, is to remove this emulator through martial law as it cuts into te profit they earn, as Sony is a company they primarily uses entertainment to generate revenue. This isn't a bad thing, but Sony has already exhibited signs of 'locking' customers to their merchandise. The firmware updates on the PSP prevent the use of hombrew applications, meaning users of a higher firmware are totally dependent on Sony's software, which they can sell at alleviated prices to maximize their profit.

As pointed out by many, the internet is vast, so the spread of the source coding would be difficult to prevent, if impossible, but could result in a major legal battle over copyright and pirating software to contend with their products.

Although this emulation will be very beneficial to the general public, Sony's loss of customers could be blamed on the coders of the software and all affiliated parties, meaning this site and others could be jeopardized.

On a side note, it would be far better to discretely distribute this emulator to avoid attracting the attention of Sony, as they have little patience for anything or anyone that impedes their progress.