PDA

View Full Version : PSPVBA: GameBoy Advance Emulator for PSP v1.0.7 (skin)

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 03:08
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/pspvba-snap-7.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSPVBA the GameBoy Advance Emulator for PSP.

* First i would like to thanks Shadow for his beautiful icons and background image :). *

What's new in version 1.0.7 :

- Sound improvement
- Switch off the sound during screenshot save
- The percent of battery left is now displayed in the emulator window
- Add a watchdog to automatically return to the emulator menu when the battery is very low (< 5%)
- Add nice icons and background designed by Shadow !
- Modify the UI to be able to use custom background images (transparency)
- Sleep mode is now working (but only when you're in the emulator window)

How to use it ?

Have a look to the README.txt file !

Two binary versions (for 2.x and 1.5 FW) and sources are included in the zip archive.

This package is under GPL Copyright, read COPYING file for more information about it.

Enjoy, :D

Zx.

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 03:12
freakin sweet!!!!!! thanx zx ur the man!!!! :D

NeoXCS
July 12th, 2006, 03:17
Keep em comming!!! W00t :)

Shilo
July 12th, 2006, 03:23
zx you on a roll today! What is this, your third release today? Keep up the good work :D

Dbgtgoten
July 12th, 2006, 03:26
keep going on those emulators O_O its awesome a step closer to perfect i say =) keep up the good work

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 03:42

gangsta_psp
July 12th, 2006, 03:45
Congrats on your latest work

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 03:46
hey zx since ur so good at portin emus to the psp, have u ever thought about talkin to strmnnrmn to see if u can be of any help to him and the daedalus project?

mavsman4457
July 12th, 2006, 03:48
Sound improvement is pretty good. I can actually hear stuff that is being said/played. Sometimes when people are talking it is in a creepy low voice though. It creeps me out but at least it is audible.

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 03:52
Sound improvement is pretty good. I can actually hear stuff that is being said/played. Sometimes when people are talking it is in a creepy low voice though. It creeps me out but at least it is audible.

My benchmark was Vrally-3, i wanted to hear 3-2-1 GO :D :D

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 03:52
one agian a great release im loving the sound now i can see castle vania harmony of disonance is fully playable this are my setting for it plus the sound you gota love it XD:
sound enable yes doh its perfect
skip frame 3
turbo mode 0
render mode max scanlines
screen ymin 10
screen ymax 155
disable sfx no
clock frequency 333
ARM tick avarege 4

Kvonx
July 12th, 2006, 03:53
an again he has done it!!!!!!!!!!!! go zx, r u using the media engine yet?

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 03:53
hey zx since ur so good at portin emus to the psp, have u ever thought about talkin to strmnnrmn to see if u can be of any help to him and the daedalus project?

I'm sure strmnnrmn is good enough, and he needn't my help ;) ... but why not.

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 03:55
an again he has done it!!!!!!!!!!!! go zx, r u using the media engine yet?

I've tried many things such as playing the sound in 8 bits instead of 16bits etc ... But everything is done for the moment in user mode. I haven't the time to study deeply the code of the Snes emulator to see how i can do the same for VBA. :o :o :o

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 03:55
oh i was wondering z-81 can you like make a lil faster so we can decrese the screen size of the X of the screen by that i mean the longnes of the screen make a more thiner that way we cna cut some of screene size for faster emu: for instance castlevania dosent need much screen to the sides so that can be shorten to get more cpu time dont you think =D that be great man

...shadow...
July 12th, 2006, 04:00
ZX YOU ARE A DEV MONSTER! 3 releases today...after getting these 3 ports finished you should try tackling a PS port, that way Sony can't brag about how firmware 3.0 has a PS emulator! lol just a thought, keep it up your known in the psp homebrew scene as the coder who never sleeps lol

Squidman
July 12th, 2006, 04:01
Nice improvement on the sound, it's nearing perfection very much so.

Metroid Zero Mission is being a major 8itch! Still not playable because of a wierd spaz with it........ne1 else have that problem?

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 04:18
i love the sound i really wish zx-81 will read the idea i posted XD would make the emu just lil bit faster

Jmax
July 12th, 2006, 04:29
Whenever i try to open the emu, it says "Loading- Please wait" then the PSP shuts off... I used a GBA emulators before, but this version dosent seem to work.
I'm using the 2.6 Fw GTA eLoader btw.

Combustolux
July 12th, 2006, 04:32
zx you on a roll today! What is this, your third release today? Keep up the good work :D

he's always on roll :p

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 04:42
Jmax dono if you can but if you can dongrade to 1.50 then do so.if cant then try deleting the pspvba folder both folder the one that says pspvba and the one with the % the reistall it it shoul work make shure you use the 2.X version and nto the 1.50 ;)

jman420
July 12th, 2006, 04:45
wow sweet release ZX! as far as I can tell every rom I throw at it will get 5 fps full screen with sound at 100-200%.. so not bad! There are errors in Golden Sun for the lighting sprites (they dont render as trasparent) but it works for playing games without sound.

and I'm sure that there are other games that take less requirements, that may run better. but Golden Sun was realy the only one I wanted to try as of now, if you want more feedback, I can post as I test out other roms.

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 04:54
why does gba seem to take longer to emulate than anything else? I don't get it.

Bastion
July 12th, 2006, 04:57
ZX--Can you explain the arm tick option? Does it help with sound? If so, what does it do as you increase or decrease the number?

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 05:08
decrease for less sount studer, increase it for more speed but more sound stutering

Bastion
July 12th, 2006, 05:14
Advance Wars 2 seams to have slowed down to a crawl now. Has anyone else noticed this? I also cannot get my Golden Sun to load the save. It works in other games but not thaT one. Help!! Thanks ZX!!

Bastion
July 12th, 2006, 05:28
One other comment: I have noticed that zipped roms run much faster than unzipped(.gba). .gba roms are very slow. Is this supposeed to happen? If so, I will go back and get all zipped roms. I meant zipped roms!!

jman420
July 12th, 2006, 05:30
that doesent make any sence! why would you want slower emulation??

sroon
July 12th, 2006, 05:34
One word Friend!
"Ohh tities!!!"

ACID
July 12th, 2006, 05:36
Ok this is humanly impossible. Now ZX i am like one of your biggest fans right now. Are you sure you didn't make a couple of clones of your self and thats why you have so many releases and updates. We all appreciate the fact that you answer our questions also. You Rule.

Combustolux
July 12th, 2006, 05:41
great work! ive got one small tip though, make ur folders with the SCE folder format so no corrupt icons :p like the ones in the attached zip

Voltron
July 12th, 2006, 05:43
Awesome release zx-81, another big thanks from a very strong supporter.

@JMAN: You really should downgrade if possible.

That would surely be a dream team. However, and I say this a lot, I would much prefer a GBA EMU on the PSP than N64. Sure N64 would be great. But I would prefer GBA.

mameuser
July 12th, 2006, 05:53
Sound Engine are much accurate now.......

LeperMessiah
July 12th, 2006, 06:04
DOES THIS RELEASE WORK WITH 2.6?
When I launch it it just loads and then shuts off the PSP...and I was SO looking forward to sound...

felonyr301
July 12th, 2006, 06:09
god man you like a working machine cant rest till its done i see ( kinda like me with anything lol) well thanks man keep up the great work. gonna try mega man zero 3 now and hope you figure out the ME engine soon so you can be done with this emulator a bit faster.

Jmax
July 12th, 2006, 06:21
DOES THIS RELEASE WORK WITH 2.6?
When I launch it it just loads and then shuts off the PSP...and I was SO looking forward to sound...

Yeah, same with me. Can anyone report if this emu works on 2.6?

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 06:26
jmax did you read the help i posted for you? yes this emu works in 2.6 you are doing something rong again try to downgrade its better that way

LeperMessiah
July 12th, 2006, 06:31
jmax did you read the help i posted for you? yes this emu works in 2.6 you are doing something rong again try to downgrade its better that way

Well I didn't do anything wrong and it won't work for me either.

I also won't downgrade due to the fact that I tried once with the supposed 98% success rate and somehow, even though I followed every suggestion/instruction I bricked my PSP. Not being able to afford a new one I was lucky that my retailer took it back.

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 06:39
well if your psp was a TA-082 then yes the downgraqder will brick it 100% the downgrader is nto compatible with that psp model the rest are fine do some requirments are need but enyways make shure you use the 2.X pspvba cus this emu is built so all firmwares can load it im shure its something you are doing rong

Jmax
July 12th, 2006, 06:40
Lol, I've downgraded before. It sucks, no wallpapers, no internet xD. Its not that big of a deal if I cant get it to work, But i just cant figure out what i'm doing wrong.

LeperMessiah
July 12th, 2006, 06:43
well if your psp was a TA-082 then yes the downgraqder will brick it 100% the downgrader is nto compatible with that psp model the rest are fine do some requirments are need but enyways make shure you use the 2.X pspvba cus this emu is built so all firmwares can load it im shure its something you are doing rong

My PSP was not a TA-082 and what could I possibly be doing wrong?
I download the new version, and put the 2.x version folder into my PSP/Game folder and launch it through GTA Eboot Loader.

Broonale
July 12th, 2006, 06:47
Sweet!

Thanks!

My son is following the devolopment of this emu intently!

slaphappygamer
July 12th, 2006, 06:59
"Lol, I've downgraded before. It sucks, no wallpapers, no internet xD. Its not that big of a deal if I cant get it to work, But i just cant figure out what i'm doing wrong." -JMAX

hey brother, stick with the 1.50 and look into devhook. i swear itll be worth it.

sometimes its worth it to trust a stranger.

a great and wonderful land awaits you.

:takes another bong rip:

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 07:02
well if search well the new devhook 0.43 lets you emulated firmware 2.6 fully can use web browser rss feed evrything from 2.6 as well as run all 2.6 games

ACID
July 12th, 2006, 07:13
well if search well the new devhook 0.43 lets you emulated firmware 2.6 fully can use web browser rss feed evrything from 2.6 as well as run all 2.6 games
It is great that we can do all of this with devhook. But we are talking about ZX newest and improve GBA emu.

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 07:17
It is great that we can do all of this with devhook. But we are talking about ZX newest and improve GBA emu.
yeh which is freakin sweeeeeet!!! :D by the way how is FF Tactics runnin anyone know?

disturbed19
July 12th, 2006, 07:17
woohoo!!! i get so excite when i see a new release!....keep up the great work zx-81 your doing a great job.

LeperMessiah
July 12th, 2006, 07:22
Can anyone confirm they have run this version on 2.6?

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 07:44
acidburn05 im just telling slaphappygamer that 1.50 does not suck and yes i know were are talking about pspvba doh

leon3142
July 12th, 2006, 08:16
keep it up ZX-81, yur doing a excellent job! :D

shadow39
July 12th, 2006, 08:20
Final Fantasy Tactics is still slow but you could play it if you really wanted to. The music isn't much better yet, though slightly more clear.

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 08:23
Final Fantasy Tactics is still slow but you could play it if you really wanted to. The music isn't much better yet, though slightly more clear.
awesome, thanx for the feed back :D

TheEmulatorGuy
July 12th, 2006, 08:58
There seems to be an order of graphics problem for some games. This is evident in "Klonoa - Empire of Dreams (E).gba" in-game where the status box is behind most other sprites.

I also noticed this in the starting menu of one of the Pokemon games (was it Ruby, or Leaf Green?)

If it would help you, I can give screenshots to further illustrate the problem. I really want this fixed.

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 09:53
great work! ive got one small tip though, make ur folders with the SCE folder format so no corrupt icons :p like the ones in the attached zip

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 09:55
There seems to be an order of graphics problem for some games. This is evident in "Klonoa - Empire of Dreams (E).gba" in-game where the status box is behind most other sprites.

I also noticed this in the starting menu of one of the Pokemon games (was it Ruby, or Leaf Green?)

If it would help you, I can give screenshots to further illustrate the problem. I really want this fixed.

You can set turbo mode to 0, then enable GFX, it will be slower but without any graphic artefacts.

:)

fatcamp
July 12th, 2006, 10:18
Advance Wars 2 seams to have slowed down to a crawl now. Has anyone else noticed this? I also cannot get my Golden Sun to load the save. It works in other games but not thaT one. Help!! Thanks ZX!!

What version of AW are you using? Neither USA or EU will start for me anymore. Nothing happens when i press start when asked and it goes back to the intro animation. Both dumps worked fine on some earlier version.

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 10:39
maybe we cna get auto frame skip in next version =X
XD

Exoskeletor
July 12th, 2006, 10:45
Great Zx. what are your plans now? what is left to be done? How i can set a default rom path?
Im not sure that the new sound changes are better for every game

TheEmulatorGuy
July 12th, 2006, 11:29
You can set turbo mode to 0, then enable GFX, it will be slower but without any graphic artefacts.

:)

I knew this wouldn't work and it doesn't. Nothing fixes it. They're not just artefacts, it seems to be an ordering problem.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks (and this leads me to ask you to change the format from BMP to PNG!):

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7918/screenshot22mb.png

...and here's how it should look:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4751/klonoaempireofdreamse3qw.png

I'll reiterate that no setting will fix it.

MadMonkee
July 12th, 2006, 12:16
Are you using the gu lib? I am not really aquinted with PSP programming, I mostly do vb.net but I heard it is the fastest graphics library to use, around 33 million polygons per second I believe.

tedou
July 12th, 2006, 12:54
zx-81 you are the best big thanks

caiyixian
July 12th, 2006, 13:32
Yup, it doesn't work on 2.6. Before you ask me to downgrade... I have that TA-082 motherboard :(

Gazz021
July 12th, 2006, 13:34
just tried it,sound is alot better but I still think the game play is smoother using PSPVBA - 1.0.1.The sound is no good but I turn it off and it runs well without that line that flicks on the screen.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 12th, 2006, 13:43
Hey greay work ZX81 cool to se another update it really is shaping up weel.Anny chance of a Atari st emu if u can find the time in your busy schedule ???

jimmi
July 12th, 2006, 13:44
good release zx !!! u just keep em comin, im about as much use as hacking and porting stuff to a psp as a fart in a whirlwind so thanks man!!!!!

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 14:02
it doesnt work for me....it gives me ...the thing is loading please wait...and then the psp turns off...i have tried all the other versions and they all work...can you please reply..
p.s. i have a 2.5 psp

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 14:11
it doesnt work for me....it gives me ...the thing is loading please wait...and then the psp turns off...i have tried all the other versions and they all work...can you please reply..
p.s. i have a 2.5 psp
do u have a TA-082 motherboard? if not ur in luck...theres the 2.5/2.6 downgrader and it works :eek: lmao i used it and i couldnt be happier cuz 1.5 has devhook and fulls speed emus/homebrew that all work and we have kernel mode and snes9xTYL0.4.2me which kicks @$$, so if u were like me and had a 2.5 or 2.6 but wanted a 1.5 then the 2.5/2.6 downgrader is for u!!! lol i made it sound like an infomercial :D

ACID
July 12th, 2006, 14:14
Blazed247 i agree the 1.50 can play the umds the lattes versions can and you have all the grates emus and homebrew. And yes that sounded like an infomercial. LOL

danknugz
July 12th, 2006, 14:15
thanks for your hard work!
it almost seems to have slowed down a bit in this version, sound is slightly clearer.
keep going!

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 14:17
i dont have a ta082...and i have a 2.5 psp original....and yes i am aware of the downgrader..but if this fails my dad will kill me because he bought it for my birthday 3 weeks ago.....so until something with 100 percent insurance comes out im gonna stick with 2.5....besides i have tried but i cant seem to understand what to do exactly and what files to download beside the easy downgrader...but anyway thanks for replying

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 14:21
Are you using the gu lib? I am not really aquinted with PSP programming, I mostly do vb.net but I heard it is the fastest graphics library to use, around 33 million polygons per second I believe.

I'm not using the GU lib because i do only basic "put pixel" stuff ;) ..

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 14:26
well i have seen plenty of factory 2.5's downgrade fine on this site but its ALL up to u, the easy downgrader talks to u and tells u what to do i believe so people that dont understand it could still downgrade without doin it wrong, as long as u have a factory 2.5(without the TA-082) u should be good to go, ok now back to playin FF Tactics on this awesome emu :D

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 14:29
i know this is a stupid question and i shouldnt be asking this here...but beside the easy downgreder do i have to download something else...thank you in advance...and if i do can someone give me an adresss..i have the european version 2.5 factory

jinqui242
July 12th, 2006, 14:32
Thanks for the update, ZX-81.

A suggestion: Include the option to have PNG screenshots included with save states like in RIN and SNESTYL. I know it's not a priority, but it would be helpful in the future.

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 14:40
ok this is what u do, download the easydowngrader 2.5/2.6 then go to www.psp-hacks.com and get the final downgrader 2.5/2.6(this has the "DOWNDATER" folder u need) u put the "DOWNDATER" folder on the root of ur MS(where ur PSP and MP_ROOT folders are) then run the easy downgrader(im guessin ur psps needs to be plugged into the usb and in usb mode) and u should be good to go
*****ALSO FULLY CHARGE UR PSP TO 100% and KEEP THE AC ADAPTER CONNECTED and FORMAT MS and RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS*****

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 14:42
i saw this a minute ago i didnt know about the full version ...thanks for replying...im going to try it now wish me luck

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 14:45
just folow the readme and u should be fine....and now back to FF Tactics

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 14:55
ive got it i cant beli9eve it im going to faint...fainting right now.......i cant even wirte well...thank you blazed247 for making me downgrade...

dring
July 12th, 2006, 15:51
can i use this on psp v2.01

LeperMessiah
July 12th, 2006, 16:13
Will this work on a factory 2.6?

LeperMessiah
July 12th, 2006, 16:23
Yup, it doesn't work on 2.6. Before you ask me to downgrade... I have that TA-082 motherboard :(

Me too. :mad:

odino
July 12th, 2006, 16:25
I knew this wouldn't work and it doesn't. Nothing fixes it. They're not just artefacts, it seems to be an ordering problem.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks (and this leads me to ask you to change the format from BMP to PNG!):

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7918/screenshot22mb.png

...and here's how it should look:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4751/klonoaempireofdreamse3qw.png

I'll reiterate that no setting will fix it.

My Klonoa work fine...:confused:

Mr. Shizzy
July 12th, 2006, 16:39
Once again thanks Zx. The prospect of a GBA on the PSP is very exciting. This wonderful emu has come a long way. The sound is getting much better. Zx- what kind of speed boost do you think we should realisticlly see by this emu's final revision (eventually of course).

P.S.- would it be possible to set options so you could use the analog & the d-pad w/o having to swap them? Just a small suggestion. Anyway, - as always I'm very impressed. Thanks for spreading the love (GBA). The scene is very grateful.

vettacossx
July 12th, 2006, 17:20
gr8 work u coding machine you ZX-81 cant wait FOR KINGDOM HEARTS CHAIN OF MEMORYS IN MY PSP!!

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 17:46
can someone give me some awesome gba titles that are very playabla...i mean more playable than pokemon for example...thanks in advance

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 17:52
scutangul try naruto nija council
zeld aminish cap lil playable if you patiant
castlevania harmony of disonance

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 18:08
ive got it i cant beli9eve it im going to faint...fainting right now.......i cant even wirte well...thank you blazed247 for making me downgrade...
ur welcome enjoy :D

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 18:14
i have tried them and you are right you have to be patient...i wanted some games that worked like beyblade g revolutions for example...it works even faster than on a normal gba....and i hate that in my opinion slow graphics...playable but slow...anyway thanks for sugestions

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 18:17
scupid try castle vania harmony of disonance with the settings i posted some post back in this tread

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 18:18
its really playable im at 50% completed form the game and like levle 17

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 18:24
youre right with the settings it does work great...i completely forgot about the settings.......thanks siulmagic

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 18:26
np man sometimes you may not see the flloor so lower the y min to 10 then up it back to 30 wen you dont need to see the floor

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 18:27
and thos settings maywork with other games to so try it hehe

Mr. Shizzy
July 12th, 2006, 18:36
Please don't let this post scare anyone; but there is something going on with my memory stick and I'm not sure what it is. I bought a 4GB Sandisk ms pro duo about a week ago. Last night I installed this new version of VBA. When I tried to enter the app directly below the VBA ( it was PSPTask) it said something like "the game can not be started", as if the data had been corrupted. Now the ms won't allow me to erase the data. I'm not sure if this is a side effect from this VBA version or not. It may very well be a dodgy memory stick causing this problem. I'm going to try and back up my data to my pc, and reformat the ms w/ the PSP. And then restore my good data to ms. For now I think I'll also remove the VBA (GBA). Zx - any idea what this could be? I've installed and tested every other version of the VBA with out incident. So I would have to guess at this point that it is prob my ms. Has anyone else had any issues like this? Please post them if you have.
Anyways - I realise that even if it was this app; you install things at your own risk...ect. Just trying to figure out whats going on. Thanks to all in advance for any help on this subject.

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 18:42
try run a error checking on the mms i did that on my mms that would not delete some files and it works like a charm now if you odnt now how to do it herclick on start>my computer>drive of the mms>right click then click on propertys>then on the tools tab click error cheking make shure you check mark both of the options then hit start =)

siulmagic
July 12th, 2006, 18:42
that mss might have some bad sectors

Mr. Shizzy
July 12th, 2006, 19:07
I'll try. Thanks

BlackJack23
July 12th, 2006, 19:22
Good work so far Zx!
You've shown you are a reliable and very competent coder for the PSP community.

From what I heard, this emulator is still running in user mode for the 2.5s and 2.6s. Are you planning to utilise kernel mode in the next release? After all, these PSPs can all dwongrade so there is really no point in keeping the emu in user mode

Video_freak
July 12th, 2006, 19:47
ya kernel mode could speed things up a bit...theres hope for a full speed GBA emu now! i hope you go all the way with this emu like you have with others in the past

Mr. Shizzy
July 12th, 2006, 19:49
Here's a good question - Whenever I am writing a large file to my PSP I let it rest on the lowest shelf of my computer desk (for saftey reasons) . It rests right next to my tower. Could this some how adversly effect my PSP or memory stick?

Video_freak
July 12th, 2006, 19:59
i dont think leaving the memory stick close to your computer is going to harm it. i do that often too

caiyixian
July 12th, 2006, 20:12
Me too. :mad:

Sigh. Guess we're all waiting for a miracle. Damn those TA-082 sh*t.

madake
July 12th, 2006, 20:41
umm
i cant get it to work
i got it in the right area, and i got the correct version and everything installed
it gets to the blue screen, and says "Please wait...loading"
then it shuts off, after i wait a long time
what do i do?

(btw. i have a verion 2.60 and i use the GTA loader)

Mr. Shizzy
July 12th, 2006, 20:51
try run a error checking on the mms i did that on my mms that would not delete some files and it works like a charm now if you odnt now how to do it herclick on start>my computer>drive of the mms>right click then click on propertys>then on the tools tab click error cheking make shure you check mark both of the options then hit start =)

Ok, backed up my info, reformatted ms (it did indeed rid my PSP of the corrupted data) . Then checked ms for errors with pc. Reapplied backup data. Everything seems to be normal again. The corrupted app in question was PSPTask. That app contains a file manager (which I had tinkered with):( This must have been the culprit. Anyways, still enjoying the new VBA.
Thanks to all for the help!

tophead420
July 12th, 2006, 20:57
wow dood how in the F N hell do you do this this so fast man 7 releases in like what a week n a half but keep um coming Zx and you keep this up this emu will be full speed in no time at all lol good job

LeperMessiah
July 12th, 2006, 20:58
Here's a good question - Whenever I am writing a large file to my PSP I let it rest on the lowest shelf of my computer desk (for saftey reasons) . It rests right next to my tower. Could this some how adversly effect my PSP or memory stick?

Only if your tower were big elctromagnet! LOL
There should be no harm in leaving it where you do mine sits next to my pc almost 24/7 when I'm not home and not using it.

zx-81
July 12th, 2006, 21:10
umm
i cant get it to work
i got it in the right area, and i got the correct version and everything installed
it gets to the blue screen, and says "Please wait...loading"
then it shuts off, after i wait a long time
what do i do?

(btw. i have a verion 2.60 and i use the GTA loader)

It doesn't work on 2.5 nor 2.6 ... I can't figure out why, and i can't test or debug it because i'm now on 1.5 FW.

(Using Devhook + Gta + eloader, it doesn't work either :( ..). But you can still use the previous versions ;) ...

acn010
July 12th, 2006, 21:34
oh cool

bosanova_x
July 12th, 2006, 22:19
strange, but i've been playing away and my psp is 2.6 with gta eloader.some roms don't work though when they have worked on previous versions.

castlevania (h o d) is at a fairly good speed, and the audio is far better.fantastic!!

Keep up the amazing work zx-81!!

any other peeps got it working on 2.6 psp's?

TheEmulatorGuy
July 12th, 2006, 22:19
Hmm, I apologise, it does fix the error when you enable SFX. I just had to the reset GBA. But one question, how did enabling the SFX fix the graphics artefacts? It doesn't really make much sense to me... and is there any way you can fix it without me having to enable SFX?

mesosade
July 12th, 2006, 22:47
btw can we expect that kernall-access thingy for 1.5 for more speeeeed due to the fact everyone has been downgrading to it?

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 23:40
i was expecting something else from 1.5 i mean it supposed to be a lot faster...but i see it is almost the same///....but stilll better steady progress than nothing

semi
July 13th, 2006, 00:04
I just tried the latest PSPVBA 1.0.7 with both :

2-Games-in-1 Castlevania Aria of Sorrow / Harmony[...]
Tales of Phantasia

Both of game play "faster" than in 1.0.6. I get a 7 to 9 FPS with those games while I was getting a 4-5 FPS with the previous version.

Great improvment, but I can't wait to get it fully working, at full speed!

Thanks for working so hard on this emu ZX81! You're the man!

Bravo, et ne lāche pas ton bon travail. :cool:

Facetags
July 13th, 2006, 01:28
ZX you just gave me a reason to downgrade. See you folks at 1.5!

Thanks so much for this amazing work!

wazzal7
July 13th, 2006, 02:19
Very cool emulator! Keep up the great work!

mameuser
July 13th, 2006, 03:47
i was expecting something else from 1.5 i mean it supposed to be a lot faster...but i see it is almost the same///....but stilll better steady progress than nothing

He already using 1.5 FW

jwilds73
July 13th, 2006, 05:23
I believe he stated earlier in this thread that he hasn't started using Kernel mode yet. Atleast not for the sound. He said he hasnt had time to look at the snes code for the media engine and see how he can adapt/use it for gba sound emulation.

futaris
July 13th, 2006, 05:24
Has anyone looked at using the NO$GBA GBATEK (http://www.work.de/nocash/gbatek.htm) documentation and the OldSchool (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=36505) library to rewrite the Graphical routines used in Gfx.h Mode[0-5].c ???

Or is there some other SDL version for the PSP that will make better use of the GU?

Pumped'Up
July 13th, 2006, 05:25
Thanks ZX-81 for the great work on this emu.

However, is there anyway to give special attention to Zelda Minish Cap? It barely runs and is unplayable...

ACID
July 13th, 2006, 05:45
Now wich are the best games playing at the moment.
Remember guys this is his first release for 1.50 he was working with a 2.50 if i recall right. ZX is awsome he will definately surprise us.

madake
July 13th, 2006, 06:57
It doesn't work on 2.5 nor 2.6 ... I can't figure out why, and i can't test or debug it because i'm now on 1.5 FW.

(Using Devhook + Gta + eloader, it doesn't work either :( ..). But you can still use the previous versions ;) ...

rly rly???
can you send me a link onegai?!?!?
(i MIGHT find one eventually, but the other MAIN thing, i cant find ANY emulator for my psp.
the only thing that works is snes9x
i still need a compatable
Gameboy (color) and Nes
thank you so much! ^^)

Exoskeletor
July 13th, 2006, 14:40
ZX what are your future plans? in what are you working now?

WarpOn
July 13th, 2006, 15:03
yeah, are you working hard on PSPVBA? What time do you think you need for this emu runs at full speed? thanks for all Zx-81

Zargon
July 13th, 2006, 20:06
Not to tell the creator that he is wrong, but I managed to run PSPVBA v1.0.7 on my TA-082 PSP just fine. Runs pretty well actually.
Edit: found that running it with emenu after running another EBOOT can cause problems (like it taking so long that it just does the auto-turn-off.

zx-81
July 13th, 2006, 20:19
Not to tell the creator that he is wrong, but I managed to run PSPVBA v1.0.7 on my TA-082 PSP just fine. Runs pretty well actually.
Edit: found that running it with emenu after running another EBOOT can cause problems (like it taking so long that it just does the auto-turn-off.

Yes it's very unstable ... It takes a lot of memory in fact, so this might explain why it doesn't work all the time :confused:

zx-81
July 13th, 2006, 20:20
yeah, are you working hard on PSPVBA? What time do you think you need for this emu runs at full speed? thanks for all Zx-81

I'm doing my best, i'm still working on it ... and we can win more speed, i have many things to try (may be some of them will give good results :) ).

zx-81
July 13th, 2006, 20:22
ZX what are your future plans? in what are you working now?

I try to replace the SDL stuff by using the GPU ... The bottle neck is still in the GFX computation / display. I've tried many hints, some of them can improve a little bit the speed.

Gizmo356
July 13th, 2006, 20:29
awesome man

WarpOn
July 13th, 2006, 21:02
I'm doing my best, i'm still working on it ... and we can win more speed, i have many things to try (may be some of them will give good results :) ).

Thanks for reply, and I wish you the best :)

zx-81
July 13th, 2006, 22:40
Thanks for reply, and I wish you the best :)

Thanks :). I've rewritten the SDL part using the Graphic Unit (as it has been done by psp298 in PSPGBA) and we win a LOT OF SPEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exoskeletor
July 13th, 2006, 23:59
Thanks :). I've rewritten the SDL part using the Graphic Unit (as it has been done by psp298 in PSPGBA) and we win a LOT OF SPEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

'yeaaahhh release it soon please so we can test it :)
Something else, if the speed will be improved then the sound will be improved also? (i mean without any changes)

Jmax
July 14th, 2006, 00:04
Do you have any ideas as to why it wont work on 2.6?

Exoskeletor
July 14th, 2006, 00:10
Zx have you ever take a look at neo geo emulator source code? it is pretty fast and you might take some ideas also

Dementia7
July 14th, 2006, 00:16
woh, now im hanging off the edge of my seat for the next release. serisously, when he said, LOTS OF SPEED...ima about to go ape sh*t

Zargon
July 14th, 2006, 00:38
I found that even though I can get it towork on my 2.6 PSP through emenu, it lags too much to start if I have run a program before it and programs that I attempt to run afterward lag to the point of auto-power off. Just some food for thought and feedback from a person who is stuck with 2.6. Great emulator and keep up the good work

WarpOn
July 14th, 2006, 01:01

Wonderful!! I need that release!! :D :D
You're my idol!

DessyDago
July 14th, 2006, 02:04
Wonderful!! I need that release!! :D :D
You're my idol!

me too! :) awesome job

can anyone comment on the speed difference between a zipped and non zipped rom? was wondering if it makes much of a difference.

siulmagic
July 14th, 2006, 03:42
dang cant wait for the next release heh

semi
July 14th, 2006, 03:45

Could you give us a little example of that speed gain!

I can't wait to download the latest version! You're my man, keep it up! :D

zx-81
July 14th, 2006, 04:11
'yeaaahhh release it soon please so we can test it :)
Something else, if the speed will be improved then the sound will be improved also? (i mean without any changes)

Exact :). I can now play samples at 44Khz instead of 11khz.

I've replaced the SDL by GU, and it's going faster, But again don't expect full speed for all games.

My benchmark is Vrally-3, and it's really playable with a hearable sound :).

But i don't want to make to much release in a week (because people complaining ;) ), so be patient. :)

zx-81
July 14th, 2006, 04:12
I found that even though I can get it towork on my 2.6 PSP through emenu, it lags too much to start if I have run a program before it and programs that I attempt to run afterward lag to the point of auto-power off. Just some food for thought and feedback from a person who is stuck with 2.6. Great emulator and keep up the good work

May be the new version will work on 2.6 :confused: :confused:

disturbed19
July 14th, 2006, 06:12
thats unbeilvable!!! your squeezing out alot of speed haha i cant wait for the next release :P so have u looked into the media engine yet? keep up the great work man, ur work is greatly appreciated.

mameuser
July 14th, 2006, 06:57

Really..... Good News

mameuser
July 14th, 2006, 06:58
me too! :) awesome job

can anyone comment on the speed difference between a zipped and non zipped rom? was wondering if it makes much of a difference.

All load into RAM, no diff

mameuser
July 14th, 2006, 07:00

I've replaced the SDL by GU, and it's going faster, But again don't expect full speed for all games.

But i don't want to make to much release in a week (because people complaining ;) ), so be patient. :)

Can you try this game, Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure , i always use this to do the speed test.

BTW, who complaining to much release in a week, let me talk to him/her

mameuser
July 14th, 2006, 07:02
thats unbeilvable!!! your squeezing out alot of speed haha i cant wait for the next release :P so have u looked into the media engine yet? keep up the great work man, ur work is greatly appreciated.

ME will add bonus to the speed.... but ME are easy to code but very hard to sync to thread core

ACID
July 14th, 2006, 07:13
This is great emu. Can eanybody sugest games that are playing good in it.

mameuser
July 14th, 2006, 07:15

Wait for version 1.08, than game will be much much better

disturbed19
July 14th, 2006, 08:00
hey mameuser good suggestion, i also use dragonball advance as a speed test to.......check it out zx-81.

Exoskeletor
July 14th, 2006, 08:02

How many more % fps you get on vrally 3 bro?

jOeBrO
July 14th, 2006, 08:58
zx, i've said it before and i'll say it again

you are the most consistant and timely coder i have ever seen and i commend you for that :)

thank you for all the hard work and dedicated hours you have put into this emulator and good luck in your future efforts :D

-Joe

Mr. Shizzy
July 14th, 2006, 09:28

With the setting tweaked right Mario vs Donkey Kong is fun (& very playable):)

reggie1620
July 14th, 2006, 10:22
have poor luck.
PSP #1 : screen cracked due to me tripping over my dog while it was in my pocket. sent to Texas with $150 to receive #2
PSP #2 : disk drive stopped working and is now making odd sounds if I try to load a disk in it (2.60 then, 2.71 now)
PSP #3 : model TA-082 .

After reading this I have decided to buy a spare PSP (never buy one from net, need to find a store with dust on their PSP's :-) ). The price is realy cheap compared to all the time wasted. Personally I bought the PSP for my 9 yo son for 3 weeks ago with 2 games. I promised my self not to touch it since I have tons of computer equipment to maintain, however, I could not resist and started reading this forum.. (seconds away from upgrading to 2.7x. (Lucky I did not do that). Soon it went from 1.51 -> 2.0 -> 1.5 (rin, GBA, snes, c64) with devhook 2.6. (Its sad that sony acts like this, if it wasent for the devhook, I would never again buy another game.. too much homwbrew for that...)

Anyway, even if GBA is slow and there are millions of games to choose from my son is stuck with Pokemon on this Emu (A game I dont understand the purpose of :-). :D

ACID
July 14th, 2006, 10:38
With the setting tweaked right Mario vs Donkey Kong is fun (& very playable):)
Thanks for the tip will try it today after work.;)

Dementia7
July 14th, 2006, 12:39
damn Zargon..im glad i dont have your luck, and i have bad luck..but..not THAT bad.

s075933
July 14th, 2006, 13:36
I think they should focus on the graphics fully instead of the sound then it will be much easier and for the new version creat a rom configuaration thread

zx-81
July 14th, 2006, 14:37
How many more % fps you get on vrally 3 bro?

During a race with the following settings :

turbo: 0
frameskip: 0
sound: OFF

v1.0.7 : 94% 10 fps
v1.1.0 : 100% 10 fps

So with the 6% speed we win, i can play samples at 22khz instead of 11khz without any speed lost (compared to v1.0.7).

Exoskeletor
July 14th, 2006, 15:03
oh i havent figure that out, i was thinking that the % was the cpu usage. so if a game runs at 100% will be fully playable?
But with only 10 fps? the minimum fps that are needed arent 25?
So as i have understand:
sound off and 94% at 1.07
sound on and with 22khz and still 94% at 1.1? great

Dementia7
July 14th, 2006, 15:17
ZX thats awsome news, can you please tell me how it runs on -2 frame Skip, turbo 4, and sound off please? i get the smoothest emulation with that, 30fps, but only about 70-79%. i dont know how that will be with V-rally, but thats what i get with pokemon emerald. also, i put the Arm tick at around 4-6.

thanks. if its too much, dont bother, i hate asking for things anyway.

zx-81
July 14th, 2006, 15:25
ZX thats awsome news, can you please tell me how it runs on -2 frame Skip, turbo 4, and sound off please? i get the smoothest emulation with that, 30fps, but only about 70-79%. i dont know how that will be with V-rally, but thats what i get with pokemon emerald. also, i put the Arm tick at around 4-6.

thanks. if its too much, dont bother, i hate asking for things anyway.

I've posted the new version, so you can now test it by yourself :). Without the sound this version is faster ... with the sound it's nearly the same, but the image are now smooth :).

spasmas4
July 16th, 2006, 17:13
whenever i try to load the emulator it tells me that the file is corrupted? if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated

zx-81
July 16th, 2006, 17:18
whenever i try to load the emulator it tells me that the file is corrupted? if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated

On which firmware ? if you use it with 2.5 or 2.6 FW you need to launch it using GTA + the eloader :)

spasmas4
July 16th, 2006, 17:41
err, its the latest one. how do i launch it with GTA + the eloader please?

spasmas4
July 16th, 2006, 17:48
oh 2.71 it is

zx-81
July 16th, 2006, 18:26
oh 2.71 it is

You can't run homebrew with 2.71 FW ;)

spasmas4
July 16th, 2006, 20:26
great

sroon
July 18th, 2006, 03:49
Hey ZX will some time in the future see that we can play gameboy/color roms in this?
Thank you(O)(O)

sroon
July 19th, 2006, 23:35
Hey Zx-81.
hows it going with your break?
arev you back and ready to code?
just checking up!

ACID
July 20th, 2006, 00:18
Zx you rule when i grow up i want to be just like you. LOL

zx-81
July 20th, 2006, 09:26
Hey ZX will some time in the future see that we can play gameboy/color roms in this?
Thank you(O)(O)

There are already good GB / GBC emulators :). I've removed all the GB code from VBA ...

zx-81
July 20th, 2006, 09:28
Hey Zx-81.
hows it going with your break?
arev you back and ready to code?
just checking up!

I didn't take a break, and i'm still working on GBA, but it takes a lot of time because i've tried many things to improve the speed and the sound, unfortunatelly without any good results :(

ACID
July 20th, 2006, 10:35
Great work ZX any other game then Vrally that you use to check your emu. for performance.

khunal
July 20th, 2006, 19:24
hey.just wanted to know...what is arm tick and can it damage my psp if it's set at 6 or 7?
i'm new to emulation and think that the pspvba is brilliant.
thank you for your work.

rapceob
August 13th, 2006, 01:20
ns

spookykid
November 22nd, 2006, 21:40
cool (iMa noob)

BlindGuardian07
January 2nd, 2007, 17:04
I'm completely new at trying to get the emulators and such to play correctly on my PSP, can somebody help me get this damn thing right?!?!

zx-81
January 2nd, 2007, 17:15
I'm completely new at trying to get the emulators and such to play correctly on my PSP, can somebody help me get this damn thing right?!?!

I suggest you to try gpsp emulator instead of this one. Gpsp is much faster ;)

wackydude1234
December 28th, 2007, 20:34
when i try to use this it shows up with the psp vba background and all like with a normal disc but when i click it, it says the game data cannot be started. the data is corrupted. please help i only just got my psp

btw my firmware is 2.81

d3monchild5
January 11th, 2008, 00:46
Hey, I recently bought a psp and i'm trying to put this GBA emulator on it. How do i do it? I tried copying it to the game folder but it says that the file is corrupted. Help is greatly appreciated

Thx

JKKDARK
January 11th, 2008, 01:07
Don't use PSPVBA, download gpsp which is a lot better ;)

Polanski
February 22nd, 2008, 18:11
Does vba also work on a psp slim with cfw 3.90m33-2? or do I have to get the 1.5 kernel addon also? Also it would be much appreciated if someone could give me list of emulators that work on the psp slim with cfw 3.90m33-2 with kernel addon. Any emulator for anything would be fine.

zx-81
February 22nd, 2008, 19:30
this project is a dead project, use gpsp instead ...