PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus PSP R6 "W.I.P" (Nintendo 64 Emulator News)

mameuser
July 12th, 2006, 03:18
-StrmnNrmn (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/) posted this news update about his N64 Emulator for the PSP:

Here are a few of the significant graphical fixes I've made so far for R6.

Firstly, I managed to fix the horrible flickering that happened when running various roms (Paper Mario was a good example). It turned out that I was making an assumption that roms executed exactly one display list per frame. I assumed that each display list would clear the screen, render everything, and then wait for the screen to flip. As it turns out, some roms execute multiple display lists per frame. In the case of Paper Mario it executes 2 display lists per frame (one which clears the screen, then another which renders everything). By making sure that I only flip after the second display list executes, I avoid the flickering (the actual solution is a little more involved but this is the general idea).

The next significant glitch I've fixed was to do with backface culling of triangles. Basically, when I ported the graphics engine over from the PC version, I forgot to implement the two or three lines of code which handles this. It was a very small fix, but it corrects a number of significant graphical issues (notably all the walls getting in the way in Quest 64).

Finally, I've managed to track down and fix a significant memory leak in the texture handling code. I believe this was causing many of the random crashes that were occuring when leaving the emulator running for several minutes or more (basically through running out of memory). Before applying the fix I found that the Super Mario 64 would crash within 4-5 minutes. After applying the fix I've been able to run Mario with no problems for over 30 minutes.

I'll keep you posted as to when you can expect a new release. I'm quite excited about the memory leak fix, so I'd like to get a new release out as soon as I can implement some of the other things I promised for R6.

-StrmnNrmn

PS I know I've been crap at replying to emails :( I'm hoping to get this release out and then I'll spend a few hours sorting out my mailbox and replying to various comments here.

Gizmo356
July 12th, 2006, 03:21
nice man good job

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 03:23
YESSS!!! thanx mameuser for this update, awesome news :D

Shilo
July 12th, 2006, 04:22
Good to hear some news from StrmnNrmn :) I always forget to check his blog :(

BALL_SAC
July 12th, 2006, 06:43
AWESOME!!!
Cant wait till I get my bricked PSP replaced.

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 06:47
AWESOME!!!
takin it back to walmart are we? lol :D

Voltron
July 12th, 2006, 06:53
Great news indeed! For a while this seemed to be overshadowed by the many recent breakthroughs. Good to see significant advancements in this.

Good work!

samthegreat68
July 12th, 2006, 07:05
this is great. cant wait to see this emu really flurish

nigelrigel
July 12th, 2006, 07:09
Great job, i always look forward to Daedalus Updates, - heh and if sony only knew we could do all this with Thier psps

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 07:17
Great job, i always look forward to Daedalus Updates, - heh and if sony only knew we could do all this with Thier psps
oh i'm sure they know, but after spendin 250 bucks we should beable to do what ever we want with it seein how they dont have that big of a game selection(well not like any other system thats for sure)

ExcruciationX
July 12th, 2006, 07:23
Exellent news! :D I wonder if there will be some kind of speed increase. And I wonder if he will update the CVS repository, with the Pre R6 source code.

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 07:25
i hope we have c-buttons :D

WACOMalt
July 12th, 2006, 08:13
yeah, c buttons are a must!

I think he should use the control setup used in monkey64, it may feel less like the original n64, but it is more convenient considering the PSP's choices.

...and has there been ANY news on that ultrahle emu that was supposedly coming out? or was that just a total rumor? (sorry, thats off topic...)

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 08:25
its "supposed" to be comin out on July 14, until then we don't know if its true or not...all i can say is stay tuned but don't get ur hopes up...back on topic
how was the M64 setup? i forgot, i took it off my psp when Daedalus came out(was runnin outta space) but its goin back on when Monkey releases his next version of M64 hopefully this week/weekend :D

ninja9393
July 12th, 2006, 08:29
this is very good news

with all the graphical stuff done now all we need is SPEED

fistikuffs
July 12th, 2006, 08:38
Great news!! I'd nearly forgot about this with all the stuff happening in the last week. Thanks StrmnNrmn:)

emuking
July 12th, 2006, 09:06
its cool he is fixing graphics first, then he will work on speed, i hope he can get super mario 64 working at 15-20 fps in his next release, that game is close to running perfect, thanks StrmnNrmn your the best coder right now along with psmonkey,zx-81 when it comes to emus :)

Baboon
July 12th, 2006, 10:18
its cool he is fixing graphics first, then he will work on speed, i hope he can get super mario 64 working at 15-20 fps in his next release, that game is close to running perfect, thanks StrmnNrmn your the best coder right now along with psmonkey,zx-81 when it comes to emus :)

....I would have to include NJ as one of the best coders right now with his Neo Geo Emus (perfection?)! :D

BTW - I’m really looking forward to the next instalment of this fantastic emulator! ....R6! :)

Cant wait!

emuking
July 12th, 2006, 11:18
....I would have to include NJ as one of the best coders right now with his Neo Geo Emus (perfection?)! :D

BTW - I’m really looking forward to the next instalment of this fantastic emulator! ....R6! :)

Cant wait!

oh sorry :) i forgot his work is harder than what most have ever tried to do, he is a great coder too :)

yamaneko
July 12th, 2006, 12:12
good, i want play zelda oot in my psp =D

Good Job =)

Tomppa
July 12th, 2006, 12:24
The game I'm really looking into is Paper Mario, I'm really happy you happened to fix the flickering, it happened on my pc too with PJ64 default plugins.

ACID
July 12th, 2006, 13:09
Castlevania , Cyber Tiger , Cruis'n USA here i come. Thanks for the trans mameuser.

Zion
July 12th, 2006, 13:16
Can't wait :D

slayer2psp
July 12th, 2006, 14:39
intill the speed is fixed this pretty much doesnt play anything well way to slow.the n64 emu on the pc is very buggy and doesnt run games very well i just dont see how this will ever have enough speed to be playable. good luck too you

Mr. Shizzy
July 12th, 2006, 15:20
Great news. Now I'm really praying that an 8GB ms is released and compatible with 1.5!!!!

Kvonx
July 12th, 2006, 15:45
finally sum gud news.......we all have bin waitin great job keepin us posted!!!! but have u heard anything from psmonkey?

irondirgible
July 12th, 2006, 16:10
intill the speed is fixed this pretty much doesnt play anything well way to slow.the n64 emu on the pc is very buggy and doesnt run games very well i just dont see how this will ever have enough speed to be playable. good luck too you

Project 64 v1.6 is pretty swell, if you ask me. Some games don't run/have graphical problems (Rogue Squadron Starfox 64, and Mario Tennis are the ones i've tried). It runs games like Mario Kart 64, Mario 64, SSB, and most others close to perfect. You might want to try it on a faster machine. I think StrmnNrmn will be able to get Daedalus to a good speed

mesosade
July 12th, 2006, 16:48
Omfg W00t

mesosade
July 12th, 2006, 16:49
how veeeery dare you

Video_freak
July 12th, 2006, 18:40
AWESOME!!!

hehe cant wait to get my screen replaced with that bestbuy guarentee thing...

btw, great to hear from you StrmnNrmn!!:)

DragonPimpsta
July 12th, 2006, 19:16
lol i thought the title said Daelus N64 Emulator "R.I.P" (rest in peace), i was about to cry

tophead420
July 12th, 2006, 20:04
just take your time dood dont rush things do what you need to do for this emu we can all wait well i can anyway but hey good work man and keep it up i luvz this emu

acn010
July 12th, 2006, 20:15
oh god, thank you

mcvader
July 12th, 2006, 22:06
I've been checking this site for news on this project every day for weeks now and am releaved to see you havn't forgotten about us StrmnNrmn 'Lol'. Are there any plans to make use of kernel mode in the future as i'm sure most of us are on 1.5 these days (except for those poor souls with a TA-082)?

felonyr301
July 12th, 2006, 22:15
yea man good job cant wait for the release but i know youve heard this from many but alot are now in 1.5 so working in kernal can be a great thing to do now lol cant wait till zelda is playing at good speed with sound just cant wait.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 12th, 2006, 23:01
long tiome no see, nice to see you back StrmnNrmn
keep it up.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 13th, 2006, 13:35
Mines ok which one u using ?? PJ64 and all latest gfx plugins most stuff runs perfectly try some other gfx plugins like jabbas D3d renderer ect they are spot on or near enuff...;)

Voorhees
July 13th, 2006, 15:27
this thing is gonna rock hard!