PDA

View Full Version : The Big PSP Game Surprise was Monster Hunter Portable 2

wraggster
July 12th, 2006, 19:39
News from IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/718/718196p1.html)

Surprise, surprise. Japan's best selling PSP title to date is getting a sequel. Following up on its promise of a big PSP scoop, the latest issue of Famitsu contains first word on Monster Hunter Portable 2nd, a sequel to Monster Hunter Portable. The title was originally hinted during the February release festivities for Monster Hunter 2 on the PlayStation 2.

MHP 2nd starts players off in a new home base, Pokke Village, which features a female chief. The main field of play this time is the snowy mountainous region surrounding Pokke Village. Other areas of play include a forest, a desert, a volcano and a swamp.

The snowy mountain area appeared in Monster Hunter 2. MHP 2nd lacks the day-night-season time flow system of that title, which allowed for conditions to change as you played. Instead, the PSP title features quests which take place at specifics times of the day.

In a show of the PSP's power, Capcom has been able to reuse, wherever it deemed appropriate, model and background data from Monster Hunter 2 in MHP 2nd. Some of the new PSP weapons, including the samurai blade, the hunting horn and the long bow, have also made their way over following a debut in the PS2 sequel.

The one area that's missing from Famitsu's report on the game is mention of infrastructure mode support. The original Monster Hunter Portable had ad-hoc local wireless play, which was a bit disappointing considering the PS2 Monster Hunter titles were all about online play. For the sequel, the Famitsu article only mentions wireless play and the availability of downloads, leading us to believe that infrastructure support isn't on the cards. We'll have to wait for clarification on the issue from Capcom.

Of course, the 650,000 Japanese gamers who picked up the original ad-hoc only Monster Hunter Portable probably won't mind one way or the other.

LeperMessiah
July 12th, 2006, 19:46
damn that's disappointing!
I bought monster hunter on someones suggestion in the forum and it sits here collecting dust.
It's not what I thought at all. :P

chaos-is-me
July 12th, 2006, 20:19
Monster Hunter Freedom was crap. Online play could've made it pretty fun but alas it had none. If the sequel doesn't have it either then they won't be seeing my money.

Lumir
July 12th, 2006, 20:20
damb man it shoulda been Kingdom hearts... friggin monster hunter...

J vs W
July 12th, 2006, 20:26
Boooooooooooooooooooooo

hank splendid
July 12th, 2006, 21:07
How exciting I can hardly wait! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hatebreeder
July 12th, 2006, 21:12
do you hear that? crickets

samthegreat68
July 12th, 2006, 21:16
so im guessing this game aint very good... this is sad

taiyoh
July 12th, 2006, 21:24
The game was great,its just that some people got bored from the intro missions that they totally gave up on the rest of the game.

Accordion
July 12th, 2006, 21:43
the game is great... except there is absolutely no incentive to complete missions other than to unlock more missions.

it probably wins the award for most literal game ever...
you hunt monsters...
thats it

John Vattic
July 12th, 2006, 21:53
Add another one to the list of awefull psp titles. turns out the only good game for psp is gta lcs. and i just bought that to load homebrew.
I mean seriously how many 5-10 yr olds have psps?
and where are the good games? i hope that they release silent hill or metal gear solid soon.
no wonder psp isn't selling well. who the heck is gonna buy a five yr old a 200$ psp? because all of the games thus far require only a five yr olds intelect. and and eight firmware upgrades*(*indicates a debateable subject)
except metal gear acids, those require D&D skills, which i don't have.

did sony hire a child to decide which titles to make? at least left over magic card fans, have a game or two to play.
kingdom hearts? i left the disney scene when i was 7. so should you all.
good friggn grief!

uranidiot
July 12th, 2006, 21:54
GAY!

BrooksyX
July 12th, 2006, 21:59
wow this is pretty lame.

If sony wants to make some money they need to urge game developers to port or make new titles of the games we already love.

felonyr301
July 12th, 2006, 22:03
lol wow the big game ok sure heres a lesson dont put your hopes up too much for anything in life so whatever happens you wont be too disappointed.

10shu
July 12th, 2006, 22:07
so disapointing...!!.some many ps1 or ps2 classic havent been port to the psp.

who care about F ing monster hunter 2...!?!

pimpjuice10
July 12th, 2006, 22:32
Yes I Win I Was The First One To Guess It Was Monster Hunter In The First Forum. So When Do I Get The Game. U Can Check If U Dont Believe Me.

FullGore
July 12th, 2006, 22:35
wow this was totally.....unexpected
Seriously, I bought Monster Hunter Freedom and boy did I get dissapointed with the game.

I was expecting some really HUGE ps2 title like GoW, DMC or anything else BUT THIS!

Shadowblind
July 12th, 2006, 22:35
:(

I am now depressed.
Nothing will probably ever get my hopes up again.

ACID
July 12th, 2006, 22:37
That aws the big secret i had seen screens of it a bit back.

Voltron
July 12th, 2006, 22:50
Well this is a welcome announcement. I was hoping it would be an RPG anyway. I like Monster Hunter Freedom but I really feel they should implement infrastructure WiFi for Monster Hunter Freedom 2 to give this a kind of MMORPG element.

emuking
July 12th, 2006, 23:02
that game sucked so baaaaaaaaad

been09
July 13th, 2006, 00:53
Heh...I'll go against the grain with this one. Monster Hunter was awesome for the PSP(after you got through the first few gay newbie quests). I'm glad theres a sequel for it, it was a fun game and awesome timewaster.

Peace.

jensy
July 13th, 2006, 01:37
maan i was hoping they were going to unleash something awsome, like a really decent port of BF2, with *free* online play. now THAT would be cool.

remansano
July 13th, 2006, 02:47
Dude, I was the first to know that Monster Hunter 2 was the "big surprise" but I really couldn't believe...
So, I guess that's it... let's hope that game developers have seen our forum and start to make at least one of those games we were expecting...

GT4
FF7
KH
BF2
ohhh crap
:(

Dbgtgoten
July 13th, 2006, 03:26
eh? lol this was very disappointing i don't know about that game its a good time waster for intervals can't play all at once. oh well time to wait for silent hill! woot :P

RemixUnlimited
July 13th, 2006, 03:37
lol, owned.

Cloud_35
July 13th, 2006, 03:56
:mad:Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Now lets wait for MGS:PO or silent Hill

emuking
July 13th, 2006, 04:34
i want mgs:ops!!! :(

dman32
July 13th, 2006, 04:40
its sad just because you suck at the game or its too hard you dog it out. this game was awesome and anybody that had the balls and skill to get pass the intro missions knows this. its the highest selling game in japan...so i guess 650k people just dont know a good game. Its because they arent so lazy and arent punks when it comes to hard games. unlike here in america where they have to re-release games to make it easier just to make us happy. its pathetic if you gave up on this game in the first hour.

Forever~Zero
July 13th, 2006, 07:50
That was pretty lame. Kingdom Hearts would be so great.

benn
July 13th, 2006, 14:37
i own MHF.
i liked it. contrary to most people i enjoyed the early parts of the game. it was the later stages that ground on me. i just though 'yawn, i am doing the same stuff but in a new environment'.
combined with one of the worst fighting mechanisms released (how do i lock on?), a pretty bad camera and some other clunky issues. also i had no-one to play 2 player with so a sizeable part of the game was unavailable to me.
it now sits there gathering dust.
so when they announce MH2, excuse me if i just roll eyes, yawn and shout 'NEXT!'.
The PSP is a on a massive slump for gaming - no wonder DS is kikcing its ass.
except for Tekken and Loco Roco i cannot remember the last time i bought a PSP game and thought 'wow!'
maybe it was GTA LCS... maybe it was Wipeout!
famitsu done a bad move too saying it was a BIG release.
so what would have made me excited?
a Final Fantasy game - what about an updated FF7 or FF8 or FFTactics for PSP?
what about the mythical Gran Turismo Mobile (that will never be released and was supposed to be live for launch!)
Kingdom Hearts
God of War

whilst on the subject, i think Destruction Derby 1 would be a greta PSP online game :)

Accordion
July 13th, 2006, 18:05
everyone needs to get some perspective
as monster hunter was the best selling psp game in japan, it makes sense that this is the biggest news possible for that region as it will probably be the most anticipated game there.
duh

Shadowblind
July 13th, 2006, 18:10
someone send this thread to the square enix game designers. I think they'll like it.

souleater
July 13th, 2006, 19:27
For me I like that it was monster hunter, this game rocks, I already have like 50+ hours in Monster Hunter Freedom and I am going to buy this one when it is released

pepegomez
July 13th, 2006, 20:25
i hope it wont have those long loading times again

dman32
July 14th, 2006, 05:13
loading times werent long...just frequent. big difference.

StuiWooi
July 14th, 2006, 07:58
Im sorry to inform all of you, but MHF>KH, and its a fact. Freedom is by far the best game on psp, however you look at it, therefore its sequel is huge news. I personally do not want to see my favourite final fantasies *******ised on the psp as well, so a kingdom hearts port would not get my money...

StuiWooi
July 14th, 2006, 08:16
Im sorry to inform all of you, but MHF>KH, and its a fact. Freedom is by far the best game on psp, however you look at it, therefore its sequel is huge news. I personally do not want to see my favourite final fantasies *******ised on the psp as well, so a kingdom hearts port would not get my money...

Accordion
July 14th, 2006, 15:44
dont double post!....
and let people have there own opinion, who are you saying "im sorry to inform all of you..." ooooh!!

LloydKansas
July 14th, 2006, 18:29
I'm very excited that they've finally officially announced the second Monster Hunter for PSP, but I wish they would make the right choice to add infrastructure support. I played the original Monster Hunter on the PS2 for a long time, online almost every day. I don't think Capcom realizes how friggin hard this game can be when you don't have anyone that lives near you with a PSP and Monster Hunter to play with, and some of the missions can be nearly impossible without help... Still looking forward to the game, even if they decide to keep it Ad-Hoc.