PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Questionaire # 1 - Whats the Greatest Genre of Games ?

wraggster
July 12th, 2006, 22:46
Most of us play games from every genre although we have one particular genre we call as favourite.

The Gaming scene is a vast arena covering so many types of games and with new genres hitting the mat all the time.

To Answer my own question, which is my favourite type of game.

Well for me its 100% RTS games, the command and conquer games, starcraft, warcraft and the battle for middle earth games have kept me happy for years.

Next would be platform games, i dont think theres any better games than the Mario games in the platform world.

in 3rd place for me are the management sims, games like Championship manager and the theme park/hospital games are excellent for losing many hours.

So in my eyes the RTS games are the greatest genre but what do you all think is the greatest genre of games and why ?

Accordion
July 12th, 2006, 22:51
TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION

metal gear rules my life

next would be adventure RPG.

mesosade
July 12th, 2006, 22:54
Metal Gear Solid has literally changed my life it is one of THE best games eva made it defined an era of brilliant storylines not a ooooo evil creature...must kill! i've saved £500 for a ps3 and mgs4 and it sits in me little piggy...GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS! oh and also FF7 kicks arse too

mesosade
July 12th, 2006, 22:56
Splinter Cell Sucks

felonyr301
July 12th, 2006, 22:56
its between fighting (dead or alive 4 and street fighter) or first person shooters (too many to name) hard for me to choose but the next one would be racing preferably simulation ones like forza motorsports, gran turismo,moto gp (xbox ones).

felonyr301
July 12th, 2006, 22:57
sorry i have to mention that im in love with zelda games but i dont like any others in the genre so i cant put it up there.

ACID
July 12th, 2006, 23:00
It has to be RPG's
Second sports and in third place platform games.

Junixx
July 12th, 2006, 23:06
for me gotta be First person shooters, the probably simulation like sim city and transport tycoon :)

Destro
July 12th, 2006, 23:07
RTS for me.... AOE, Rise of Nations, Starcraft...

Also, Stronghold is a good one if you haven't tried it, and it's available in the $10 game section at Target, Wal-mart, etc. in the U.S.

vettacossx
July 12th, 2006, 23:09
rpg and fighting games

FF7 & marvel vs capcom 2

SSaxdude
July 12th, 2006, 23:10
I really love FPSs and platformers.

shenske37
July 12th, 2006, 23:12
without a doubt action adventure / platformers games

mario, zelda, sonic etc.

josiii
July 12th, 2006, 23:12
pro evolution soccer mario games & Resident evil

ninja9393
July 12th, 2006, 23:15
I like FPS but i also like fightig
halo vs Tekken

woah after im done metroid im going to make a tekken lua game:) :) :D :D

souLLy
July 12th, 2006, 23:30
i love a variety, i generally avoid sports games or playstation-esque third person junk (tomb raider etc.).

The games I've probably spent the most time playing is probably platformers, I guess that's pretty unexciting but I'm a bit of a Mario purist. the Zelda games too so Action RPGs?

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 23:30
like the most to like a litte less:
FPS
RPG
MMORPG
Sidescrolling mario like games
puzzle games

NJisMYhome
July 12th, 2006, 23:31
i like games like rpgs like chrono cross + trigger, and also first person shooters like king kong and socom, and also racing like need for speed underground 2 (xbox)

chaos-is-me
July 12th, 2006, 23:36
First person shooters are my fave! Halo, Doom, Quake.. so many good fps.

Next would probably be RPG's, I'm not that good at them but they are fun.

Recently I have been getting into racing games though.

Shadowblind
July 12th, 2006, 23:37
thats easy. MMOFPS
coming up tailgating it is RPGs.

My least favorite: Virtual sports. Just go outside and play the real thing, slackers.

kyle2194
July 12th, 2006, 23:39
MMORPGs. Nver played one? Download Silkroad free at silkroadonline.net

FullGore
July 12th, 2006, 23:40
Hmmm tough question.
I would say that beat em up's (like streets of rage / final fight) would be on the 1st place. Unfortunately, that genre is getting always some bad games. A pitty really.
2ndly, FPS. Love them
And at 3rd place, adventure games

Kaiser
July 12th, 2006, 23:42
1. Survival Horror ;)
2. RTS
3. Turned Based Strategy games
4. Tie between RPG's and Simulation games.
5. Classic Side Scrollers (From Metal Slug to Sonic)

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 23:43
oh yeah... most sports games suck
ghetto gangsta' style games suck
movie games suck
most spoof games suck
games that promote street raing suck
and if a game has advertisement of real world things makes a game that much more cheesy( im talking about stuff like in need for speed underground where you and everyone uses the same type of cell phone and nothing else, i think its cellular or verison wireless, and all of the menue screens have the cellphone's logo on it). That stuff grids my gears because my cousin said he wants to be a streed racer when he grows up and I don't want him even thinking of that because my step brother does that crap.

The_It
July 12th, 2006, 23:44
a good mmorpg is at mapleglobal.com

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 12th, 2006, 23:45
RPG is simply the best, FF7, chrono trigger,etc. etc.
and driving/racing games is my second best, GT4, ridge racer. anyone agree with me????

scupitangul
July 12th, 2006, 23:46
tbs...homm series
adventure
rpg
puzzle
sports
driving
i like all of them equally

Voltron
July 12th, 2006, 23:47
Well considering this thread was put on the PSP section I will list my top 3 favorite genres for the PSP with examples of PSP games that fit under those genres.

1.) RPG's (Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Y's, Brave Story)
2.) Strategy (Field Commander baby!!!)
3.) Platformers (Mega Man, Daxter, Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins)

The 2nd half of 2006 is looking mighty nice for PSP games.

PraiseBrad
July 12th, 2006, 23:49
rpgs and rts best genres of games hands down
command and counquer = best rts ever but generals sucked a big donkey ****

as for rpgs there are to many good ones to count but top three = XenoGear, Chrono Trigger , Dragon Quest III

sroon
July 13th, 2006, 00:00
Got 3 words for you............................................... .........................................

R-P-G

BlackJack23
July 13th, 2006, 00:00
RPGs definately. Non-anime RPGs that is.

Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic.
I've been thinking of a reason for my extreme enjoyment of RPGs and here it is:

RPGs stand next to RTS games when it comes to control over gameplay. No matter what predefined difficulty you choose, RPGs are as hard as you make them. If one trains, takes what one can and has patience then Roleplaying is easy. For those obssessive cleptomaniacs like me Roleplaying becomes like second nature yet it is still fun and challenging. Characters in RPGs are deep and dialogue is usually rich and there is a compelling story to boot. How many side-quests do you see in FPS games? Most RPGs are non-linear, offering a rich history which can be very interesting.

ACID
July 13th, 2006, 00:04
thats easy. MMOFPS
coming up tailgating it is RPGs.

My least favorite: Virtual sports. Just go outside and play the real thing, slackers.
Sword of vermilion thats mi fav of all times.
And i agree all rpgs

takayuki-kun
July 13th, 2006, 00:37
2d beat'em up ,uber alles

borgamix123
July 13th, 2006, 00:37
i like these games: socom, gta, metal gear solid, dragonball.....

Malksta
July 13th, 2006, 00:41
FPS | Fighting | RPG's

HL2 - SOULCALIBUR - FF7
HALO - TEKKEN 3 - FF8

Zargon
July 13th, 2006, 00:58
first-person shooters rock because the game can be played w/choices (which gun should I use now?) and supplies constant action (and surges of adrenaline). RPGs have great stories, challenging battles and beautiful cut-scenes. RTSs have massive slaughters and strategy(duh?:p ) elements thrown in.
How can I choose just one?

Paiku
July 13th, 2006, 02:12
Japanese RPG's all the way!

Hate all these western mmorpg's.

John Vattic
July 13th, 2006, 02:19
Survival Horror is the absolute best genre. followed by Platformer Adventures like zelda. third is Tactical Espionage Action ala metal gear solids. fourth is the Multiplayer Racers like mariokarts. fifth goes to Fighting Games. sixth reserved for Good Shooters like metroid. seventh is Puzzle games. and dead last is RPG crap.
sorry D&D dorks rpg's suck! trading magic attacks was never cool! you may as well wear a dress and trade pokemon cards losers.
R-eallyP-rimativeG-ames.
yuck final fantasy. yuck zenogears. yuck kingdom farts. yuck metal gear acids.

sorry but it seemed the rpg fanboys were in full effect on this topic. i felt real gamers needed to be represented. :(

soldiers at ease. and as you were.

jman420
July 13th, 2006, 02:20
hey, I'm glad I get to post after somone that likes Survival Horror games :p

But my favorite game styles would have to be
1. 2D RPG's
2. Survival Horror
3. MMORPG's
4. Driving/Racing
5. Simulation
6. FPS

but no sports! the fool that made football for Atari realy started an annoying trend!

That would have to be my list :D

grit
July 13th, 2006, 02:54
SHMUP!!!!

Where are the old skool "Shoot Them UP" lovers?

Vertical or horizontal scrolling.. Who cares? As long as they are SHMUPs!

lucidtraveller
July 13th, 2006, 02:56
good first person games (halo, morrowind)
scrolling shooters (ikaruga, pulstar)
classics (centipede, gyruss)
fighting (good ones where control is tight and blood is good)
puzzle (tetrisphere, zuma)
just any good games really that are NOT "take a turn rpg's", sports, or driving where a line of paint stops the car and nothing can break, gimme driving like in GTA and that is ok but not the no damage/ no traffic/ crappy driving games that look nice and have no substance at all
oh, and diablo2 was one of my all time favorites too.

RedKing14CA
July 13th, 2006, 03:11
Adventure!

stotheamuel
July 13th, 2006, 03:30
FPS (pictures.. that us)

aka pokemon snap

Basil Zero
July 13th, 2006, 03:42
RPG (Role Playing Game)

Best Genre because:

1. It has so many memorable games like Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Chrono Series, Star Ocean, Kingdom Hearts and others.

2. RPG just isnt one kind of rpg, it has sub-genres to it as well like for example:

---Final Fantasy----Turn Based RPG
---Star Ocean----RPG-Action
---Kingdom Hearts---RPG-Adventure
---Disgaea Hour of Darkness---RPG-Strategy

3. Many games that people thought never would be made have been made like:

---Kingdom Hearts--(Final Fantasy and Disney)
---Namco X Capcom--(Namco and Capcom games)
---Super Mario RPG---(Mario with Final Fantasy elements)

Junior
July 13th, 2006, 10:46
My favourite genre would be Roleplaying Games.

Like Wizardry, Ultima or Gothic as well as Final Fantasy, Grandia and others like them.

Some of these games are played with topdown perspective, some are first person, some are third person.

There is great variety in the genre because sometimes it mixes in a great deal of action. There even exist roleplaying games that mix in first person shooting, like Sudeki does.

Because I also enjoy Adventures a lot I'm happy to say that many roleplaying games boast quite a bunch of puzzles as well.

Aryn
July 13th, 2006, 11:13
I prefer first person shooter games, preferably the types that actually involve thinking to pass each obstacle as opposed to mindless shooting.

I also like real time rpgs, or rpgs that involve plenty of strategy for winning battles. I especially love rpgs that involve roaming a world and deviating from the main story at my liesure instead of just following a path. PS: I would really appreciate it if somebody ported a game in the Baldurs Gate series to a handheld system.

b8a
July 13th, 2006, 11:28
I would say RPG's but the genre's too broad, and even when you start breaking it down (western/Japanese), I've never played a western RPG I've liked, and even a lot of Japanese RPG's are little more than slightly involved choose-your-own-adventures. Quite frankely, there are a LOT of awful RPG's. When it comes down to it, as long as it's a good game (in my eyes), I don't really care what genre it is. But, if I HAD to pick ONE:

Party Games

Not only games like Mario Party and Super Smash Brothers, but also old favorites like Dance-Dance and Dance Freaks. Active games where the more people you get involved the better. I've loved multiplayer ever since Contra, and while I generally agree about sports games being pointless, some of them really come alive when you get a few people involved.

Accordion
July 13th, 2006, 12:28
musical on rails shoot em ups

REZ

Hungry Horace
July 13th, 2006, 13:21
hehe, some of you are so boring... FPS, RPG <yawn!>

give me a classic 2d platformer anyday... although i tend to think of Tomb Raider as nothing more that a very fancy platformer too.

my favourite game is a sports game though, not a sim mind you... Sensible World of Soccer on the amiga. very simple, very fun.

Ennohex
July 13th, 2006, 14:11
Fighting, no doubt.

Ichijoe
July 13th, 2006, 16:34
In One Word... Falcom RPGs'!! (Y's, Legend of Heroes etc.), Who could want anything more!!

creoleplane
July 13th, 2006, 17:50
It would have to be old school style FPS games for me. Doom 1, 2. Quake 1 (2,3, & 4 all suck ass) None of those realistic noob ass shooters like CS and BF2. Then old school platformers, Sonic, Mario 1-3, Metal Slug and Castlevania. Then true RPGS like Ultima, Kings Quest and Oblivion don't ever confuse that Final Fantasy crap with an RPG.

creoleplane
July 13th, 2006, 17:51
RPG (Role Playing Game)

Best Genre because:

1. It has so many memorable games like Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Chrono Series, Star Ocean, Kingdom Hearts and others.

2. RPG just isnt one kind of rpg, it has sub-genres to it as well like for example:

---Final Fantasy----Turn Based RPG
---Star Ocean----RPG-Action
---Kingdom Hearts---RPG-Adventure
---Disgaea Hour of Darkness---RPG-Strategy

3. Many games that people thought never would be made have been made like:

---Kingdom Hearts--(Final Fantasy and Disney)
---Namco X Capcom--(Namco and Capcom games)
---Super Mario RPG---(Mario with Final Fantasy elements)

You say RPG's but none of the games you listed are RPG's, there adventure games, why do people always make this mistake.

BlackJack23
July 13th, 2006, 19:19
Actually they are RPGs. I think you are a little confused.

The basic priniciple of a Role-Playing Game is character development (levelling up, choosing to be good or bad etc) While most RPGs are linear and don't allow you to develop you character's personality, ALL RPGs have a levelling up system where one becomes physically or mentally more powerful. Deeper RPGs allow one to change their allignment and present choices in dailogue. I think you may be a bit hazy there as those posted are all RPGs

creoleplane
July 14th, 2006, 01:06
Actually they are RPGs. I think you are a little confused.

The basic priniciple of a Role-Playing Game is character development (levelling up, choosing to be good or bad etc) While most RPGs are linear and don't allow you to develop you character's personality, ALL RPGs have a levelling up system where one becomes physically or mentally more powerful. Deeper RPGs allow one to change their allignment and present choices in dailogue. I think you may be a bit hazy there as those posted are all RPGs

Your mistaken, the base principle of RPGS starting with the original (Ultima) was the open endedness of exploring and not needing a base storyline at all. Most console RPGS like the ones that wer mentioned fall under the category of adventure games similar to The Longest Journey and Monkey Island because you are playing through a predetermined story and a predetermined with already made up characters with there own preset roles in the story. An RPG is when you create your own role in the game world and with that creating your own story and and with it's own history and future depending on the choices you make playing the game. Character creation is a part of that but it's not the biggest part of what makes an RPG. Final Fantasy games and the like force you into someone elses story and characters removing the main elements of what make it an RPG. Finally an RPG is when you create your own character with is own story and place in the world all by your doing, not some author's during the games development.

NiGame
July 14th, 2006, 09:46
Ah so many good games in all the areas, home alone RPG, online RTS or First person etc etc depends on my mood and who i'm playing the games with and on what machine

Shiaoran
July 14th, 2006, 16:12
since Adventure is somewhat dead(PLEASE 2K, make more games like The DaVinci Code, but LONGER), my favourite style is that of Metroid/Castlevania(the old ones)
Cave Story is coming to PSP, I still can't believe it ^^ I know the person who made the PC freeware game and I liked the whole stuff, game, story, characters...
I believe that there are many people that like these kinds of games and still have hope for more of the genre.

Uruz 6
July 14th, 2006, 21:33
My preferences are:
1) Tactical RPG (Disgaea, FFT, Front Mission)
2) Standard RPG (Grandia, FF, BoF)
3) RTS (Starcraft, Warcraft, Command & Conquer)
4) FPS (Halo 2 especially on-line)

The_Lead_Factor
July 15th, 2006, 07:07
A roleplaying game (RPG) is a type of game in which players assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories. Gameplay progresses according to a predetermined system of rules and guidelines, within which players may improvise freely. Players' choices shape the direction and outcome of roleplaying games.

A typical roleplaying game unites its participants into a single team, known as a "party", that plays as a group.

-Wikipedia

Final Fantasy is a series of computer and console role-playing games produced by Square Enix (originally Square Co., Ltd.). It may be the most widely distributed game series of all time, including standard console role-playing games, portable games, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game, games for mobile phones, three anime productions, and two full length CGI films.

-Wikipedia

Final Fantasy is an RPG. What other proof do you need?

creoleplane
July 15th, 2006, 22:57
Final Fantasy is an RPG. What other proof do you need?

The thing about Wikipedia is that it's for the people by the people. Which is why I love it. But it also makes it often full of mistakes. The RPG thread in Wikipedia could have been created by some kid whose only played console RPG's, thus his definition of what an RPG was originally is flawed. The original RPG's on the PC and other home computers were nothing like Final Fantasy games at all. They were way more open ended, let you create your own character and your own story in the game world which is the most important and main feature of all RPG games. Final Fantasy has never allowed you to do this. It always puts you into the role of a predetermined character in a preset storyline that you basically just play through with very little customization of it done by the player. That is why Final Fantasy fits into the genre of adventure games. An adventure game is where you play the role of an already created character and play through the already prewritten storyline. In an RPG every quest you choose to do or not to do effects who you are and what you will become in the game world and the story of the game. In games like Final Fantasy it hardly has any effect on the gameworld or the storyline in the end. Any game you play that has characters already created for you and a storyline that was written for the player to play through and hardly alter at all is an adventure game. Final Fantasy fits perfectly into a prewritten storyline with developer created characters which is exactly what an adventure game is.