PDA

View Full Version : Kotaku Confirms Rumor: UMDs Pulled From Target Stores

wraggster
July 13th, 2006, 19:13
News from Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony/kotaku-confirms-rumor-umds-pulled-from-target-stores-187087.php)

Following up a post from yesterday, we heard a Target employee noticed prerecorded movies distributed on Sony UMDs (an acronym meaning UnMitigated Disaster, um, rather, Universal Media Disc) were suddenly absent from the store where he worked, and from other Target locations, too.

Now our beloved brothers at Kotaku have found confirmation from another reader, saying the chain has decided to devote shelf space to other products, but noted that Target will keep trying to move those slow-selling PlayStation portable UMD disks on its web site.

Kotaku sleuths further confirmed by calling a couple of local Target stores, which admitted that the doomed UMD products were indeed no longer on sale at Target retail outlets. Can every other store in the world be far behind? Die, UMD, die! And every other proprietary format! And the horse you rode in on!

I also noticed that Lik Sang have pulled UMD films too.

LampDev
July 13th, 2006, 19:52
Did ANYONE actually think it would sell well?

I actually ragged on my foolish little 12 YO nephew for weeks after I found out he saved up for weeks and spent his allowance money getting Napolean Dynamite and Pirates of the Carribean on UMD instead of something useful like a 2GB memstick. Sucker.

Video_freak
July 13th, 2006, 20:31
i feel for your nephew LampDev, i really do, but isnt he a little too old to fall in sonys trap?

geise69
July 13th, 2006, 20:54
Ummm...he's 12, give the kid a break. As long as HE is enjoying it then there's no problem.

LampDev
July 13th, 2006, 21:54
He had both of those movies on DVD. Under an hour of of ripping and it would have been on his memstick. I've shown him how to do it.

This kid is really bright, he just made a financial blunder and I'm doing my job by scarring his psyche over it so he'll never do it again. :)

gotmilk0112
July 13th, 2006, 23:21
umd movies are pointless. why watch it on a tiny screen when you could watch it on whatever size screen u want + extra features!

Pelnied
July 14th, 2006, 00:03
im 12 yrs old!!! so what about being 12 yrs old and having a hombrew AND a regular PSP!! its soooo awesome im that really that stupid to but UMD movies but i had some extra cash and got $7 ones they r OK but i would spend more money on MEMSTICKS or Game PSPs rather than spending it on UMD movies that much thanst all i needed to say lol!

idapimp
July 14th, 2006, 00:51
i agree. die umd

acn010
July 14th, 2006, 00:58
well, yeah, UMD movies are very pointless and a waist of money and time, they should be doing more games than movies, if sony didn't put the MP4 movie function in memory stick, the movies "probably"will sell well, now, there converters and i mean thousands of converters for the psp

LampDev
July 14th, 2006, 05:40
if sony didn't put the MP4 movie function in memory stick, the movies "probably"will sell well, now, there converters and i mean thousands of converters for the psp
So you're saying Sony should follow Apple's business model and have a sort of iTunes for Sony Pictures?

It's unoriginal but it would make them a hell of a lot more money than the UMD ever did because you don't have to manufacture the little *******s, warehousing, shipping, and distribution. You just have to deal with bandwidth concerns of millions of people downloading Gigs of data from their datastores.

It'll never work. :p

Vangar
July 15th, 2006, 14:40
If they sold a UMD burner, THEN i would use UMDs.

shinysuitman
July 15th, 2006, 19:56
can someone say BETA? ohh well... wait a minute, betamax was made by sony as well!!..... history repeats itself

Musoka_Eimin
July 16th, 2006, 05:39
they pulled them off target shelves here weeks ago... I have stopped purchasing them a ways back, as I am still on 1.50 FW. Sony you evil #@$*@&% you know I would have bought advent children and a few others had you not been the control freaks you are and stamped your firmware requirements on UMD MOVIES!!!! They just really know how to screw it up more and more so, sorry Sony here is to $100 i will keep instead of investing in your failed UMD movie franchise....