PDA

View Full Version : The long over due project update post

PSmonkey
July 13th, 2006, 19:15
Yep, Its the long over due project update post. Sadly this one is chalk full of bad news. :( Sadly I did not wish to post this to see it flooded on a bunch of news sites but too many are asking whats up. So better to fill everybody in.

- ngPsp -
Erm, Well its not dead yet. Last weekend I spent 3 days reporting the pc core to psp again and trying to improve where I botched things. I also added afew things that improve performance some. I would have posted the release already but I am kind of dragging my feet in getting a brand new gui coded. Sorry about that.

Anyways the next build 1.4 will probably be my last major build for this project. While there still wont be audio, I have recoded everything clean enough for someone to easly continue on with it. Hopefuly someone will. I might do a few small revisions to fix issues but nothing major.

- Monkey64 -
This one is not dead either. So for the love of god please stop saying I quit. I've slowed down alot since I dont see a reason to rush & burn my self specialy with deadalus around. So I am now more just researching and doing test to see what I can do to improve or change n64 emulation. So far i've got a few fps boost by converting more to run in 32bit vs 64bit. I'm also trying to see if I cant get a performance boost out of the cop1. I'm also trying to get my hands on a 64DD unit to do some research (currently debuging the ipl4rom and now need a unit to probe the registers).

So while there wont be a update in near future. It's still moving along in development.

- Iris -
Iris is on extensive hold for the time being. I really need a new engine since iris is a dirty hack of my old bspviewer. So no new iris for the summer. Sorry.

- Beat-em Up -
The beat-em up I anounced a while back is in the same state as iris. I need a new engine before I attempt to go anywhere with this. So it too is on hold.

- Oh snap? -
I wont give out details but me & a good friend are working on a solid compo entry for the up and comming competition. Lets just say if this does not impress anybody for homebrew, nothing ever will!! Fyi, its a new FPS game.

Gizmo356
July 13th, 2006, 19:23
awesome man good to hear from you

SSaxdude
July 13th, 2006, 21:14
I guess we got used to how you used to report progress on your emulator every week.

Accordion
July 13th, 2006, 21:37
oh well we wait
i dont mind, the anticipation keeps me going
keep it up

progress is progress...right?

Malksta
July 13th, 2006, 21:41
nice to hear from you monkey

Kramer
July 13th, 2006, 22:20
good to hear some news on monkey64

ExcruciationX
July 13th, 2006, 22:42
Okay, when can we expect a release for the 3D beats of rage?

BrooksyX
July 13th, 2006, 23:57
new fps for psp, i like the sound of that.
When does the competition end that you are going to enter it in?
anyways, thanks for the update.

Sumo X
July 13th, 2006, 23:58
Glad to hear some kind of progress report.

Keep us updated with what you are doing more often!

Psycho77
July 14th, 2006, 15:25
Summer in montreal = no progress anywhere ;)

PSmonkey
July 14th, 2006, 16:25
Err. I was targeting the neo compo for the new game to only find out it ends next week. Soooo, I am cooking something new real quick this weekend for the neo compo (neo ends july 20th).

The other project will go to the PSPupdate compo which ends august 20th.

Summer in montreal = no progress anywhere ;)

Yes, So damn difficult.

Gizmo356
July 14th, 2006, 16:28
lol

Zeemon
July 14th, 2006, 20:04
Good to hear! I'm looking foreward to the new FPS! Thanks for the update!

D0N
July 14th, 2006, 20:36
Nice to hear a bit of news from you PSMonkey. :)

Kaiser
July 14th, 2006, 21:18
- Oh snap? -
I wont give out details but me & a good friend are working on a solid compo entry for the up and comming competition. Lets just say if this does not impress anybody for homebrew, nothing ever will!! Fyi, its a new FPS game.

This last paragraph really intrigues me. Your always cooking up something new and interesting it seems Monkey. :D

DPyro
July 14th, 2006, 22:37
This last paragraph really intrigues me. Your always cooking up something new and interesting it seems Monkey. :D

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

:p

PSmonkey
July 15th, 2006, 15:38
god I am mentaly loosing it. I could have sworn Neo compo site said the deadline is july 20th. After talking with AT he said no its august and reset me to the site. I rechecked and the site says august. Yet I could have sworn looking at it at work it said july.

God my mind is gonna explode (I blame nintendo for this. Freaking stupid Wifi bs).

kersplatty
July 15th, 2006, 16:16
is this new fps unique, or is it a port of something spectacular

Briggzy11
July 16th, 2006, 14:50
Ahhh its glad to hear from you anyway, I think most people understand you have a life as well as a reputation here, just take your time anyway and hope to hear from you again :D

gangsta_psp
July 17th, 2006, 13:06
I kind of had hope in Iris, but this FPS thing is interesting too. Im old school like that if you know what I mean.:)
Monkey power!

DPyro
July 17th, 2006, 14:12
What the...where did you get that oilers girl :eek:

PSPKOR
July 17th, 2006, 15:07
Nice to hear a good bit of detail on your progress, It's a bit of a downer that you need a new engine for Iris but it takes as long as it takes I supose. I can't wait to see the new projects of yours the FPS and the beat-em up. Hopefully you could make the FPS like Iris, in the way people can make maps for it. As allways good to hear from you PSmonkey.

dtothabreezy
July 17th, 2006, 20:08
ooo fps i love fps cant wait and no pressure everybody needs to remeber hes doing this pratically free glad to hear ya bak:D

Zeemon
July 17th, 2006, 20:27
"pratically free"?
It is free!

Keep up the good work monkey!

BL4Z3D247
July 17th, 2006, 20:51
yeh it is free but he gets donations, but only cuz we want to show him how much we really appreciate him...i gotta set up a paypal acount soon so i can hook u up Monk cuz N64 was one of my fave consoles, and now its portable :D

stotheamuel
July 17th, 2006, 21:16
so does this mean iris will never be able to be in first person mode?

and is this fps along the lines of counter strike? (realistic: guns, health, and physics)
or along the lines of halo?
(unrealistic: guns, health and physics)

Kvonx
July 18th, 2006, 03:55
awww well i guess u need rest u have a life..........but so much projects, how do u keep up!!!! we dont mind take ur time slo an steady wins the race:)

Kaiser
July 18th, 2006, 03:56
What the...where did you get that oilers girl :eek:

We need a Flames girl to. ;)

Losing to Carolina must burn as much as it did for us with Tampa. Next time there will be a battle of Alberta, our offense is stacked for next season.

Ahhh its glad to hear from you anyway, I think most people understand you have a life as well as a reputation here, just take your time anyway and hope to hear from you again

Agreed, you should chill a bit and have back a few beers. Maybe you can go camping? Thats always fun.

sroon
July 18th, 2006, 15:08
"pratically free"?
It is free!

Keep up the good work monkey!
yah keep up to good work ehmm what exactly are u working on?:confused:

csd-san
July 19th, 2006, 06:20
Glad to hear Monkey64 isn't dead. And while I support StrmnNrmn just as much as you, I'm sorry to see that he has stolen your thunder. I have always had the utmost respect for you and your goals.

As for this new project, of course I can't wait to see it. FPS's are one of my favorite genres.

Accordion
July 19th, 2006, 15:32
no one stole thunder! you cant even touch thunder, its a sound, created by polarised clouds!!!

and why did people think he was dead?

PSmonkey
July 19th, 2006, 17:27
erm. I just played my recent ngpc port again and realised I really need to finish it off this weekend. Its so much more playable then before.

Guess I will get off my ass and finish it asap.

disturbed19
July 19th, 2006, 19:39
hey psmonkey i was just wonderin if u had the chance to get Zelda ocarina of time and goleneye running? that would be cool if ur next release got these games running, strmnnrmn just released a new version of his emulator (R7) and it cant run these games yet, mind you its a great release though mario kart is fully playable with no gliches or ugly graphics.....but try check into it, thanx alot!

p.s do u think you will be releasing a new version of M64 this month?

PSmonkey
July 19th, 2006, 19:50
hey psmonkey i was just wonderin if u had the chance to get Zelda ocarina of time and goleneye running? that would be cool if ur next release got these games running, strmnnrmn just released a new version of his emulator (R7) and it cant run these games yet, mind you its a great release though mario kart is fully playable with no gliches or ugly graphics.....but try check into it, thanx alot!

Sadly I have tried and have issues with goldeneye. I think it might be bugs in my tlb emulation. I have to probe it more.

Zelda could posibly already work yet due to ram limits I can't test. I want to add in rom streaming like I ment to but just have not had the time to do so yet.

disturbed19
July 19th, 2006, 21:05
alright. good luck! hopefully everything works out good for ya.

BrooksyX
July 19th, 2006, 22:31
Hey psmonkey keep up the good work and keep us posted about you projects, especially your new fps ( i know its supposed to be a secret but what harm is a little hint here and there).

kersplatty
July 21st, 2006, 18:23
theres a new 3d engine out tommorow it should helpp you with iris and the beat em up, is it likely you will use it? also there is a nanodesktop one out soon:D

PSmonkey
July 21st, 2006, 18:54
i helped that guy out with a few things for the engine. I atm currently prefer my own. :)

GeEkPiE
July 23rd, 2006, 00:32

R7 has not been released yet, its R6.

Cooe14
July 23rd, 2006, 07:14
I atm currently prefer my own. :)
The old one that you used for Iris, or the new one you have been working on for awhile?

PSmonkey
July 23rd, 2006, 11:24
The old one that you used for Iris, or the new one you have been working on for awhile?

The new one called kohkae. Its named after my favorite snack "Koh-Kae".

DPyro
July 23rd, 2006, 16:46
LOL, your going to have to send me some of that stuff :p

disturbed19
July 24th, 2006, 00:55
just a thought, u know wat would be really cool? if all the great coders such as ZX-81, strmnmnn, yoyofr,laxer3a, and psmonkey all worked together on a N64 emulator. this would be a huge impact on the homebrew seen haha i get excited thinkin about it, we would have a working n64 emulator in no time.

stotheamuel
July 24th, 2006, 02:38
u know what would be great too....
if the leaders of all the politicaly powerful countries

got together and there was peace...

wonderful ideals... but it just wont work

PSmonkey
July 25th, 2006, 16:49
yummie. with all the engine demo's going around. Maybe I should also post one in the comming weeks. Things are starting to come together quite nicely on mine (just got basic ODE suport intergrated in).

Demolition49
July 25th, 2006, 18:50
Well im glad you posted this news PSmonkey and im very glad to hear somthing on monkey 64 ... i can understand where you are coming from but i would like to see monkey64 beat daledus but i dont dislike daledus i guess i just prefer monkey 64 and please no noobs taking this the wrong way... thats the last thing i want.

How is everyone? long time since i posted here.

gangsta_psp
July 25th, 2006, 22:30
yummie. with all the engine demo's going around. Maybe I should also post one in the comming weeks. Things are starting to come together quite nicely on mine (just got basic ODE suport intergrated in).
Awesome!

Psycho77
July 28th, 2006, 00:12
The new one called kohkae. Its named after my favorite snack "Koh-Kae".

"Koh-Kainne" is more like it =P

disturbed19
July 31st, 2006, 09:45
Hey psmonkey,:)

howz it goin, man you've been really quiet lately, wat have u been up to? do you think you can give us a little update on how M64 is doing? the deadalus emulator is getting alot of attention and is doind quite well. strmnmnnm is getting quite a bit of speed on his emulator to check out his blog--> http://www.strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/
i was hoping you would be able to catch up on your N64 emulator bcuz i think yours has alot more potential of being a great emulator. so hopefully you can fill us in on your projects, i bet all your fans would appreciate hearing from you!!:p

fr: a loyal M64 FAN! disturbed19:D