PDA

View Full Version : Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Eggman's Revisiting Robots?

Shrygue
February 5th, 2010, 18:01
via IGN (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/106/1066953p1.html)

When SEGA pulled back the curtain on Project Needlemouse yesterday and revealed its actual title to be Sonic the Hedgehog 4, the company did so with a new website dedicated solely to the game -- and overflowing with countdown timers. Though the debut trailer and some small bits of additional info were available, much of the site's content was -- and still is -- locked down by ticking clocks that seem poised to further pull back that curtain, little by little, over the coming days and weeks.

Well, the first countdown's done.

The timer set to expire at 8 a.m. Pacific Time today has done so, revealing an "Intro" section of the site that sets up the storyline for the upcoming sequel. Most of the text within is a recap of the events featured in the first few Sonic games from the Genesis days, but there's a hint or two thrown in near the end. Here's the text, as it appears over on SonicTheHedgehog4.com:

Story in spoiler below

It began as Sonic's animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure - The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it's up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman's Mecha fly's away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon - The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles 'Tails' Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald.While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.

Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it's flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman's fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it's power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.

But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman's rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits - and improves - the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins...

That's not a lot to go on there, but that tidbit at the end about Eggman revisiting and improving the very best of his creations seems intriguing. We already know some of the classic stage enemy Badniks are making a return, but could we also be facing classic bosses from Sonic 1, 2 and 3 in new, reimagined form in Sonic 4? And, if so, which ones?

Sound off in our Comments box below if you've got ideas on the issue, and whether or not you agree with the move -- should Sonic 4 be packed with old bosses given updates, or would you prefer that our hero's nemesis got more creative and came at him with all-new weapons of war? Let us know your thoughts, and stay tuned as more and more information about the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is revealed.

Darksaviour69
February 5th, 2010, 18:35
First of, change his name back to Dr Robotnik!

Shrygue
February 5th, 2010, 18:43
I strongly agree, the name Eggman doesn't sit well with me.

ojdon
February 5th, 2010, 18:56
I wouldn't really mind to be honest. I like the look of things at the moment and I couldn't care less if Sonic has green eyes like I've read people whining on other forums.

Even if it's not a direct sequel to S3&k and has a Modern look for a retro styled game, I think it's pretty cool replaying those old badniks. It would also allow us to get used to Sonic 4 since it's different from the original trilogy. The Sonic Xtreme team had this in mind when they made the jump with Sonic into a 3D world. They made sure that even though it was new game play it was easy to pick up and felt like the old games. Even if you don't personally want it because you're too "l337" at Sonic, I think it's a good choice to make.

XDelusion
February 5th, 2010, 21:14
I've played way too much Sonic. I'm burned out, again why doesn't sega bring back Alex Kidd or the Wonder Boy series? Now THAT would be retro!

VampDude
February 5th, 2010, 21:42
First of, change his name back to Dr Robotnik!

Doctor Eggman is the Japanese name, hopefully the English releases have his name as Dr. Robotnik and only nicknamed Eggman like in Sonic Adventure where he was called both.

Alex Kidd

If I'm not mistaken, Alex Kidd is in the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing title... On his bike it seems, according to my poster. :cool:

fpcreator2000
February 5th, 2010, 22:04
Eggman is the Japanese name. Dr. Robotnik is the American/European Name. In Sonic Adventure, Sonic called him Eggman as an insult (I think? it's been too long since I've played the game). But Eggman doesn't bother me. It's like saying Rockman bothers me and I prefer Megaman (the intention of the names is lost in the localization. Example: Rock and Roll in the Megaman series. In the Sonic the Hedgehog series for Genesis/Mega Drive, Eggman's boss machines were named with the Egg prefix on them, hence Egg Robo, Death Egg, ect...).

On to other things. As for the best of Robotnick's machines? I can see some classics coming back like the Wrecking ball for Sonic, EggRobo, Mecha Sonic, The Egg Robot from Sonic and Knuckles, and probably other mini bosses I can't recall from the 16-bit games. Now I have to go back and hook up the Saturn and play "Sonic Jam".

P.S. Thank you Sega for coming back to your senses and coming up with a TRUE sequel using classic gameplay. It's like Nintendo was doing up until the release of New Super Mario Bros for the DS (which was awesome).

andwhyisit
February 8th, 2010, 06:48
Please release for psp. *begs*