PDA

View Full Version : Is downloading music illegal in your country?

LeperMessiah
July 14th, 2006, 15:40
Here in Canada P2P downloading is legal, but uploading is illegal.

So as long as the music I am downloading was not uploaded by me in the first place, then it's legal LOL.

JKKDARK
July 14th, 2006, 23:02
Yes, it is illegal here (I think). Anyway, piracy is for losers that don't like really video games, music or something that you need to buy.

cdrdj
July 14th, 2006, 23:41
YEAH, GO CANADA!! When that law was first passed my infotech class downloaded Kazaa (back when it was still popular and widely used, torrents weren't big yet) and started downloading a bunch of music.

SSaxdude
July 15th, 2006, 00:04
Piracy rules, I hate the RIAA. Yes, downloading music is illegal here (America.)

Cooe14
July 15th, 2006, 00:17
Piracy is for fat losers. If you like the music then either buy the cd or download it LEGALLY off iTunes or
Napster.

acn010
July 15th, 2006, 00:22
Piracy rules, I hate the RIAA. Yes, downloading music is llegal here (America.)
no, its not, it is illegal to share the music file

SSaxdude
July 15th, 2006, 04:32
Music artists only make 5% off of iTunes sales and 10% off of CD sales. So if you really want to support music artists, send them a check of $10 or go to one of their concerts. Paying for music is supporting the giant record companies that just distribute their albums.

SnoopKatt
July 15th, 2006, 10:25
^Pretty much what they said. iTunes is not a very good way to support artists, not to mention you get a crappy quality version of the song while if you buy the CD, you get a WAV of it (or possibly a DVD-A)

Gazz021
July 15th, 2006, 10:51
I am in the UK I use imesh and morpheus,I think they make the music industry make a lot of money out of us anyway and also someone buys the track in the first place to upload it so once you buy a cd you should be able to do what you won't with it.Just psp's I have 1.51 i've never upgraded the firmware as I only use for emu's.

LeperMessiah
July 15th, 2006, 15:06
So in response to all of the piracy issues here; Have any of you ever taped, or recorded onto DVD or in any other way captured a television program or movie off of TV?

SSaxdude
July 15th, 2006, 15:59
So in response to all of the piracy issues here; Have any of you ever taped, or recorded onto DVD or in any other way captured a television program or movie off of TV?
I downloaded the complete series of The Office (American version) and burned it on to DVD.

LeperMessiah
July 15th, 2006, 16:14
LOL Not quite what I'm getting at, but you're getting closer.

Christuserloeser
July 15th, 2006, 21:36
Here in Canada P2P downloading is legal, but uploading is illegal.

So as long as the music I am downloading was not uploaded by me in the first place, then it's legal LOL.

Hey, I am sure it's still illegal but you won't get punished for it ;)

Same as in France btw.

LeperMessiah
July 18th, 2006, 10:44
Hey, I am sure it's still illegal but you won't get punished for it ;)

Same as in France btw.

Not it really is legal to download music in Canada, we pay a surtax on all digital media due to this.
Check this out about half way down the page it says:

"The ruling stipulates that:

* Downloading a song for personal use is not an infringement.

* Placing a song in an on-line music-sharing directory such as Kazaa is not considered distribution. "

Taken from http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/internet/downloading_music.html

stotheamuel
July 18th, 2006, 22:11
yes it is illegal... if anyone just thinks about it for 2 seconds.. it makes sense why it is illegal

if I invented, wrote, sang, drew,painted, produced in any way something... and people all got to use it for free.. and you intended on making money off of it... then I would be pissed to