PDA

View Full Version : Need LUA Advice

RealRitzcracker
July 14th, 2006, 16:35
Well im making this game.
And I have many mp3s and wavs and atracs.
But I need them to be played in lua player.
Whats a good program to convert them to mod xm it and etc.

PLEASE HELP
FAST

yaustar
July 14th, 2006, 16:52
AFAIK, you can't since it is a completely different format. And please, stop cross posting in other threads.

RealRitzcracker
July 14th, 2006, 16:55
Then how to you get music for lua.

RealRitzcracker
July 14th, 2006, 16:55
And you can convert anything now a days with the right programs.
So what are you saying its impossible to make xm and mods it dont lie. Because every lua game has them.

yaustar
July 14th, 2006, 16:56
No, I said you cannot CONVERT mp3/wav to MODs etc which was the question YOU asked. It is possible to create mods, xm and its. You can convert mods/etc to mp3/wav but not the other way round. It is a COMPLETELY different audio format.

Mp3 is a compression format of signal based data (aka WAV is the raw format). MODs etc are based on trackers, they have a set of instruments and are played at different notes in set intervals.

KillQuick
July 14th, 2006, 19:33
just a little question by the way:
is there a function to play wav files or not?:confused:

so, if there is one, you can use SUPER:D :
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

yaustar
July 14th, 2006, 19:43
I thought there was although I can't find any supporting documentation on it. There is a 1 mb file limit size and WAVs are huge.

Sumo X
July 14th, 2006, 19:49
Wav files (PCM encoded) are capable of being played by Luaplayer outright.

Despite what you were told earlier, it IS possible to convert an mp3 to an .it file. You can, just not directly.

You'd have to take your mp3 file and convert it to a .wav file (a nice, free program is SimpleJ). Then, you can use Modplug Tracker to convert that into an .it file (which supposedly plays better in Lua than .wav files for music).

However, this conversion does not shrink the filesize, which can be considerbly large. If you want to use music, I suggest you try to make it loopable and no longer than 30 seconds per level. Also, use the Sound Recorder program on your PC to fiddle with settings (lowering bitrate and whatnot) to help shrink the filesize (though at a loss of quality).

Good luck!

yaustar
July 14th, 2006, 20:09
I though IT was a tracker format, how does modplug convert a signal based format to a tracker one? Unless it approximates the sound with the soundbanks and instruments.

Edit: Just read up on thE IT format, am I right in saying that it supports WAV samples and uses it in the same way as its instrument banks?

Edit: Looks like I am completely wrong about the format and it is possible to use WAV samples in MOD, IT etc formats. However as Sumo X said, it will still be the same size (maybe larger) then the original file due to the nature of how these formats work.

Sumo X
July 14th, 2006, 20:21
I'm not sure how it works- I just know it does! It's the exact same music as well.

The link for Modplug tracker is here: http://www.modplug.com/

Again, the WAV file has to PCM encoded, but any change in the khz, stereo/mono or bits is acceptable. The change from .wav --> .it does not affect the filesize, though, so you're really going to want to to work with altering the .wav file until you get it down to a filesize you like with an acceptable quality.

Either that, or go petition Shine to get .ogg support for Luaplayer (it's been on his 'to do' list for ages :p)

RealRitzcracker
July 14th, 2006, 22:35
EXACTLY
THATS WHAT I HEARD
I thought so
Okay I all ready converted all my mp3s to wav.
But Modplug tracker isn't working lua player wont play my it or xm or mod