PDA

View Full Version : Deniska`s Mapviewer for PSP WIP News

wraggster
July 14th, 2006, 16:48
Deniska posted this news at his site:

It has been awhile since the last blog update. A few people inquired on the status of this development, so here is the info:

The project is still very much active.
I desided to re-write it from scratch since the previous version was too buggy and limited in functionality. I went away from SDL graphics libs - they exibited very unpredictable behavior and switched to custom graphics lib, mostly borrowed from lua player.
Furthermore, I desided to dump yahoo as the map donnor (with it's US & Canada only coverage) and start milking Google maps.
Google has worldwide map coverage, better map graphics and more of less open API for map manipulation.

I am pretty much done with scaling, xy <==>lat/lon conversion, basic attractions display, NMEA sentences parser, scripts to acquire maps
The new version has support for regular, satelite and hybrid maps...
I was able to load and display a farely large map:
40000sq km at street level resolution with 8 zoom levels. The size of it got pretty big: ~550MB.. but memory sticks are getting cheap nowdays :-)
The map interface and behavior are very similar to Google maps...

I am still waiting for my GPS order (Holux GPSlim236) to arrive, so I could start working on GPS connectivity...
If everything goes well I should be able to release a more or less stable version in a week or two, so keep checking the site :-)

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/pv1.jpg

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/pv2.jpg

More screens and info over at Deniska`s site on the DCEmu Network here --> http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/

sroon
July 14th, 2006, 17:12
So does this work for every where?

Gargantula
July 14th, 2006, 17:30
Will I able to use this offline just as a replacement for a paper map for all of US or only a portion of the US?

Great job though, I've been waiting to have a US map database on my PSP.

deniska
July 14th, 2006, 18:57
So does this work for every where?
All major metro areas should be covered...
I tried to load maps for Sydney, Moscow,London, etc - they all worked ok... Google has some gaps in low level coverage though, so check google maps for the area in queston...

deniska
July 14th, 2006, 19:04
Will I able to use this offline just as a replacement for a paper map for all of US or only a portion of the US?

Great job though, I've been waiting to have a US map database on my PSP.

Yes, the idea to preload the maps from the internet via a special script.

I doubt that entire US map @ street level will fit on any current memory stick, but you should be able to pack map data for any state (or small country) to a 1GB MS.

NoQuarter
July 14th, 2006, 20:13
This looks awesome, alot better than scanning maps in
like I was planning to do.Thanks for the hard work can't
wait to try this cause I was planning a road trip soon:)

Kvonx
July 14th, 2006, 20:53
nice job.............this does sound hard ;) but its nice to see coders gettin better for my psp i'll definately have this app

Cloud_35
July 15th, 2006, 00:19
Will this have maps for worldwide (in a future)??

m0dm0use
July 15th, 2006, 09:05
Any chance of this beeing released, this would come in handy as I go on holiday soon :)

Nice work so far I hope Holux GPSlim236 arrives soon.

Dickhead
July 15th, 2006, 11:08
This sounds very interesting and it will be a great homebrew map program and I am looking forward to the release, I think it will be better than sonys own GPS thing. I would like to ask deniska about 2 things about the program:=

Will I be able to use full UK street maps in this program and will it be compatble with my Bluetooth GPS Receivers through the USB connection on my GPS and PSP?

This will be great if it works and very usefull

Thanks keep up the good work!

deniska
July 17th, 2006, 14:36
Will I be able to use full UK street maps in this program and will it be compatble with my Bluetooth GPS Receivers through the USB connection on my GPS and PSP?

This will be great if it works and very usefull

Thanks keep up the good work!

You should be able to store streets for most of UK on 1Gb stick...
Your compatibility question is too generic for me to answer... I doubt that it work thrugh the usb port, but perhaps with some minor tweaks you could plug it in to a serial (head phone) port...
Hopefully I'll get more info after I get my gps order and do some experiments with holux...