PDA

View Full Version : NEOGEO Emulator for PSP 0.2.2

wraggster
July 14th, 2006, 21:09
http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/img/ngepsp_icon.png

NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/#download_ngepsp)has released a new version of the NeoGeo Emulator for the PSP, heres the translated whats new:

- 0.2.2 -

BIOS while executing way raster effects is always made effective, modification.
 During of game executing depends on the value which is set with the menu.
 (Modification for the operation improvement of uni-bios v2.0/v2.1/v2.2)

Drawing deleting the excessive processing of the part.

* Therefore exactly from first release about January, also pause is good, being the case that,
 With this version renewal stop. Reopening is undecided.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

D0N
July 14th, 2006, 21:33
Woah what can i say...Keep up the great work NJ! I love your emulators! :D

Voltron
July 14th, 2006, 21:42
With this version renewal stop. Reopening is undecided.

I don't like the sound of that :mad:

Thank you NJ for the update and thank you Wraggster for the news.

makaveddie
July 14th, 2006, 22:02
Great work. Am I to assume that we will probably never see the larger games with sound?

Eduardo

fistikuffs
July 14th, 2006, 22:38
Keep up the good work NJ!! Thank you:D :D :D

wilbur
July 15th, 2006, 00:00
To be fair, NJ's done so much for this emulator that i can understand him wanting to quit it.

It's in a damn good state now, and it must be real frustrating for him that he can't get some of the best games to run well.

It does seem odd that it's possible to run ps1 & GBA emulators but not a 16 bit machine emulator but as i understand it there's not nearly enough proccessing power to get the big neogeo games (Garou, Metal slug) going at full tilt with sound and visual effects.

Still, i'm just happy to be able to play these games (with or without sound) where ever and when ever i want- i really think they are some of the most fun i've had on a videogame.

Also, i've had really good responses from people playing on my psp who don't understand what an emulator is. They don't believe that it's a non-commercial product.

Voltron
July 15th, 2006, 00:54
as i understand it there's not nearly enough proccessing power to get the big neogeo games (Garou, Metal slug) going at full tilt with sound and visual effects.

I think the issue was not enough RAM on the PSP. Only 32MB and if it only had 64MB it would make a world of difference.

I think the RAM issue is also why some prefer the GP2X for emulators.

I'm optimistic though. A lot that can be done now with the PSP was not impossible once.

r-complex
July 15th, 2006, 01:05
Shalomb! NJ!

slaphappygamer
July 15th, 2006, 01:09
so how is this compared to neogeocdpsp?

ACID
July 15th, 2006, 01:21
so how is this compared to neogeocdpsp?
The biggest difference is the game size of the Roms almost 75% smaller. The speed is equal in games that don't require cache to be used. In all use the CD version for games that need cache in this version. Also theres a lot of games that the CD version doesn't have that the MVS version does.:D

samthegreat68
July 15th, 2006, 01:48
Also theres a lot of games that the CD version doesn't have that the MVS version does.:Dlike what games? could someone please name some good games?

slaphappygamer
July 15th, 2006, 01:48
i see. these are different systems. they use different roms.

geise69
July 15th, 2006, 02:03
I think the issue was not enough RAM on the PSP. Only 32MB and if it only had 64MB it would make a world of difference.

I think the RAM issue is also why some prefer the GP2X for emulators.

I'm optimistic though. A lot that can be done now with the PSP was not impossible once.

Well I have a GP2X and yes the extra ram helps, especially for mame and neogeo emulation. However I never even expected MVS NEOGEO emulation to ever come to the psp, and here it is. We are all very lucky to have such amazing coders doing all the hard work for us.

Pumped'Up
July 15th, 2006, 02:45
Thanks NJ for this amazing emu (and CDZ).

Btw, is there a game compatibility list somewhere? thought I came across this once...but was on an older version of the emu.

geise69
July 15th, 2006, 05:34
Maybe we should start a Wiki page for it. There's one for the neogeo emulator on the gp2x so I don't see why there can't be for this one.

odino
July 15th, 2006, 06:45
One perfect neogeo emu is possible, but only with some factors:

-Add Prefetchs file of NEO4ALL/AES for dreamcast(only 16 mb of ram...)
-Kernel mode, more ram is disponible...
-Use the decrypted/clone rom set... For example Garou has only 8mb of allocate cache, but Garoup has 13mb of allocate cache.

b8a
July 15th, 2006, 09:21
NJ keeps a list of compatible roms on his site. Just click on "list.txt". I've translated the Japanese bits and posted the entire thing in a previous release thread as well. Could've sworn that a list was included in the download package as well...

Went through and did a once-over translation of the news from his site:

NEOGEO Emulator for PSP 0.2.2

ngepsp 0.2.2 binary Download
Changed the file on 7/15 at 1:00AM. (Fixed to work with FW 2.50/2.60 +eLoader)

-0.2.2-

-Changed it so that, while executing the BIOS, raster effects is enabled by default. This is dependant on the value in the settings menu while a game is running. (This was changed to improve performance with uni-bios v2.0/v2.1/v2.2)

-Removed extraneous processing in the drawing functions.

*As it has been exactly a month since the release of the first version, this is a good time to halt updates to this version. There are not yet any plans to resume updating.

When a BIOS error screen is displayed, the cause is one of the following.

1."There are insufficient files"

Particularly, when sifx.sfx isn't present.
2."The BIOS files is not collected and compressed into neogeo.zip"

This means that you need to collect and compress all of the BIOS files into neogeo.zip, and place it in the roms folder.
3."The CRC doesn't match"

With this emulator, the file name is absolutely not checked at all. All files are distinguished by CRC32. When using the uni-bios, please read the note below.
4."It's an unsupported BIOS"

You can not use any versions not listed below. It appears as though BIOS files that have been patched exist, but since the CRC is different, they aren't recognized.

About changing the BIOS

-I've writted this numerous times but, while in the file browser, pressing "L trigger" will open the menu. Files that you have are bright, will files you don't have are displayed as a dark grey. When you select the BIOS with the cursor and press the ◯ (circle) button, that BIOS will be used the next time around. However, when you change the BIOS, all of the SRAM files are deleted.

About the file name for the UNIVERSE BIOS

-The files being distributed all have the same name of "uni-bios.rom". I recomend that you change the extension to be in line with the list below.
-Should you find your self thinking "I'm sure I'm using a different version, but it can't be selected", you probably got the files wrong when you compiled them into neogeo.zip.
-If you've set it correctly, one of the screens shown below should be displayed at the beginning of each game when they are launched (SEE NJ's OFFICIAL SITE TO SEE THE SCREENS -- b8a).

List of supported BIOS

All have been confirmed to work with 0.2.2.

M68000 (Main CPU) bios - one of any of these files is nessecary
name filename CRC32
Europe MVS (Ver. 2) sp-s2.sp1 or neo-geo.rom 9036D879
Europe MVS (Ver. 1) sp-s.sp1 C7F2FA45
US MVS (Ver. 2?) usa_2slt.bin E72943DE
US MVS (Ver. 1) sp-e.sp1 2723A5B5
Asia MVS (Ver. 3) asia-s3.rom 91B64BE3
Japan MVS (Ver. 3) vs-bios.rom F0E8F27D
Japan MVS (Ver. 2) sp-j2.rom ACEDE59C
Japan MVS (Ver. 1) sp1.jipan.1024 9FB0ABE4
Asia AES aes-bios.bin D27A71F1
Unibios MVS (Hack, Ver. 1.0) uni-bios.10 0CE453A0
Unibios MVS (Hack, Ver. 1.1) uni-bios.11 5DDA0D84
Unibios MVS (Hack, Ver. 1.2 (old)) uni-bios.12a E19D3CE9
Unibios MVS (Hack, Ver. 1.2) uni-bios.12 4FA698E9
Unibios MVS (Hack, Ver. 1.3) uni-bios.13 B24B44A0
Unibios MVS (Hack, Ver. 2.0) uni-bios.20 0C12C2AD
Unibios MVS (Hack, Ver. 2.1) uni-bios.21 8DABF76B
Unibios MVS (Hack, Ver. 2.2) uni-bios.22 2D50996A
Debug MVS (Hack?) neodebug.rom 698EBB7D

Z80 (Sound CPU) bios - since this isn't used, the emulator will work even without it
name filename CRC32
------ sm1.sm1 or ng-sm1.rom 97CF998B

SFIX rom - required
name filename CRC32
------ sfix.sfx or ng-sfix.rom 354029FC

LO rom - since this isn't currently used, the emulator will work even without it
name filename CRC32
------ 000-lo.lo or ng-lo.rom E09E253C

*Having written all of this, I'm not going to deal with anyone else still saying "it doesn't work". I will not respond, so please do not send any more mail related to this matter. (This is directed at all those mailing me from overseas) Note that last bit. NJ is requesting that he not be contacted ANYMORE concerning BIOS problems, so please respect his wishes. I've seen a LOT of posts about BIOS issues (in the past), but all of the BIOS problems have been addressed in these forums previously (and now even officially by NJ), so if you're having any problems, make sure that you have the correct files, that they're named correctly, and that they're zipped into a file called "neogeo.zip". If you're still having problems, read through the threads for past releases. The same basic questions have been answered over and over.

EDIT: Sorry, looks like the "quote" section doesn't preserve whitespace... See NJ's page to reference the compatible BIOS chart. With HTML formatting being unavailable in newsposts, I can't make it display correctly.

jaydee73
July 15th, 2006, 14:54
neo turf masters now runs at a decent speed again! Great release!

ACID
July 15th, 2006, 16:18
like what games? could someone please name some good games?
Waku Waku 7
SVC vs Capcom
Voltage Fighter
Tkinkle Stars Sprites
Top Hunter
Plus meanie more the emulator brings a full list of the games check it out. I love the cd version i had all the games and now with this version i can have them all in mi memorycard.:D

Pumped'Up
July 15th, 2006, 18:18
Thanks b8a for the info. I missed the list.txt file in the zip file cause I usually go straight to the 1.5 folder/files ;)

shinysuitman
July 15th, 2006, 19:31
this has simply been the best emu around since snes. so many people have bene looking into this thing, and now its come to life.;)

bigwang
August 9th, 2006, 13:49
Really cool brew! Thanks a lot!

Madonion
September 8th, 2006, 16:48
Hey all. I need help! I got the europe bios. But have been out of the loop for a while. Windjammers and a few other games didnt wanna work and now i read about uni bios. can anyone tell me if it will fix my problem? i got the unibios but dunno if its the correct one cause i cant select it when im in the neogeo emu :(.oh what does the converter do? i cant read the readme is all messed up =/

darkmanx
September 23rd, 2006, 03:50
can someone please help, i,m kinda new at emulators but i managed to install snes-dehook-egen.but i came apond a emulator that interested me neo geo 2.0.0 i intsalled" ngepsp-ngepsp"in game folder. but everytime i start up a game it saids "bios not found". my package came with a convertor and some other requirement i dont know about. can someone please help understand ,1-where do i put the bios file on my psp 2- where do i get a bios file for neo geo 3- whats the convertor for and how do i use it please help