PDA

View Full Version : With the Release of the Downgraders is the PSP Modchip Not Needed ?

wraggster
July 15th, 2006, 19:13
The release of the downgraders for 2.5/2.6 PSPs has delivered a blow to the Modchip Makers of the Undiluted Platinum PSP Modchip who can only really sell it to those with Bricked PSPs and those on v2.7 & 2.71 and you musnt have the TA-082 Hardware revision.

Surely a lot of you now value the Modchip as useless unless your going to use the latest firmware and also the ability to use v1.5 because of the Modchip.

Id really like to hear opinions on this.

Oh and something to make you laugh, its been pointed out to me that 2 PSP websites have posted the exact same PSP modchip review, cut and pasting gone mad eh :P

Once MikeDX posts his proper review we shall spread that to the masses :)

Discuss this newspost Via Comments

Emeriastone
July 15th, 2006, 19:14
Back before today, I would have said, sure, why not have a modchip? But with Dark_Alex's Custom Firmware, why bother? It's as good as gold now!

Uruz 6
July 15th, 2006, 19:29
Well, as of now the modchip is almost (it still has use for bricked/upgraded versions) completely useless, the situation however may change in the future with new upgrades and such.
My hopes rest in the new custom firmware way.

Ichijoe
July 15th, 2006, 19:29
As good as the times are right now. I personaly do not think they will hold. It is a testament to S0NYs®™ patience that they have not released a v2.72 / v2.80 and locked all the D/L'able Demos off there Site yet.

Yes S0NY®™ got powned and powend vary badly this Week, but I won't sit here thinking for One Second that S0NY®™ will be sitting on there collective Butts on this for long, and there's still the venerable 3.0 update to come.

So is the Chip Biz dead?! No I don't think so. Given that the Chip Biz is still in it's infancy, and untill we start seeing reall mesures of bypassing S0NYs'®™ Signed Code. Which is what any good Modchich should do in the first place! There really was no Modchip Biz to start with...

cowbot
July 15th, 2006, 19:34
i bought my psp in 2nd hand; it's a 1000k but was a 2.6
Tired of gta exploit i was very close to buy a modchip (a pre order @ the time), i took a couple of day to think about... and the 2.6 exploit was announced, and then the downgrader!
my psp is now a 1.5 with 2.71 full emu; i don't need anything else now (let's see what's will happen with the psone emu form sony ;) )

shinysuitman
July 15th, 2006, 19:41
is the modchip needed? maybe. we dont know what s0ny is going to throw at us in the future, so having the ability to control the actual harware so that we can control the software will be good. am i going to buy a modchip? hell no. too expensive and dangerous. however, there are other people who think oppositly, so let them eat cake i suppose.

pspdingo
July 15th, 2006, 19:54
i should of just kept my 1.5 back psp :(

but i wanted a white one so i bought a new 2.6 white one and sold my 1.5 black one :(

i cant downgrade bcoz if ure psp was originally 2.6 when bought.. then the downgrader wont work..

kayhanbakid
July 15th, 2006, 19:54
It's not useful now for people with 1.5 PSP's. I wouldn't even get on eif I had an undowngradable PSP. I would sell it and but one I could downgrade. But I'm sure the next firmware's will be even more difficult to figure out and maybe that's when we'll need a modchip.

I think the second PSP vs. modchip debate is an interesting one for those who don't have a second PSP. If you buy a second one you would be able to play 2-player games with friends or family and still have the latest firmware. But SONY might make it so that the latest firmware doesn't work with modchip somehow. But there are possibilities for custom firmwares. Things are getting so complicated now I get headaches.:eek: Or You could just get a second PSP (maybe a used one won't cost too much) and you'll have no probkems forever.

But I would really rather spend the money on a DS. I've been dying to get one but the only thing holding me back is possibly having to do one of the above later when new PSP games or features are released.

LampDev
July 15th, 2006, 20:00
i cant downgrade bcoz if ure psp was originally 2.6 when bought.. then the downgrader wont work..
That's not necessarily true. Open your UMD drive and look at the PCB at the top right hand corner or .. can you see any letter when you open your UMD drive? If you can clearly see something printed there, then yes, you're boned. However, if you don't, you MIGHT be able to downgrade.

About the U.P., I've said this before on the review site but I'll say it again here:
Unfortunately, the downdater killed the market for the mod chip.

What this chip really needs is a killer app. Something, other than unbrickability, that makes these things worthwhile.

Simply downgrading is no longer a strong selling point. Maybe when sony comes out with their emulator for the PSOne, and make 3.xx+ a firmware requirement, then it'll be worthwhile.

For now, the U.P. is too untested, too damn hard to install, and is too damn expensive. Seriously, $100 for the chip and $100 to install plus shipping is pushing the limits of what anyone would want to spend. $450+ for a pre-installed one? You've got to be insane.

fistikuffs
July 15th, 2006, 20:12
at present the mod chip is not really worth the cost or the hassle of instalation but the battle of sony vs the hackers has plenty more twists and turns and who knows that in 6 months we could be all saving for a U.P.?

benn
July 15th, 2006, 20:15
i think the mod chip market will be more valuable as the sony release more firmware updates.
when sony release the PS1 emu. if you had to wait 6months+ in the hope some hackers open the code for downgrade or you could use a modchip today - i know which option i would choose.

RedKing14CA
July 15th, 2006, 20:16
Back before today, I would have said, sure, why not have a modchip? But with Dark_Alex's Custom Firmware, why bother? It's as good as gold now!

wont be saying that when 3.0 comes out

Voltron
July 15th, 2006, 21:55

Actually, you probably can downgrade as long as you don't see those feared Letters upon opening your UMD drive.

As far as the MOD Chip, I see no need for it now. Especially with DevHook. But there could be a use in the future if for some reason, higher firmwares can't be emulated.

I would prefer NOT having to mod my PSP

acn010
July 15th, 2006, 23:52
lets hope not

stotheamuel
July 16th, 2006, 00:07
3.0 here we come

emuking
July 16th, 2006, 00:18
3.0 will be cracked by someone i promise :D

tsaikimon
July 16th, 2006, 00:28
I think that as soon as the ps3 comes out there will be a surge of need for the U.P. Sony will be using a series of checks between the ps3 and the psp to verify the legitimacy of the PSP's firmware before allowing interaction between the two consoles. Even if we have the firware emu'd perfectly from the stick they can use things like seek times or various other task calls from the firmware to verify that it is or isn't on the flash chip. In this case the only way to go will be a U.P. runnning 1.5 and a the PSP running updated sony firmware.

Emeriastone
July 16th, 2006, 00:28
no kidding, emulation of firmwares is the way to go. Devhook for the win.

jaydoo
July 16th, 2006, 00:32
I share the opinion that in the short term the chip is no good for me. I can use devhook and now with the release of the custom firmware and source code, we will see some radical developments in the way in which our NAND firmware behaves.

I was very excited about the UP when it came out but for the time being I have no use for one.

The PSOne emu from Sony will definitely make me consider the UP again as Im not sure if I have the patience to wait for the decrypting, hacking and slashing that will surely be needed in order for someone with fw 1.5 to use the future firmware enhancements.

ACID
July 16th, 2006, 01:01
You still need it for the people that have another mother board.

slayer2psp
July 16th, 2006, 01:14
sense you can run any firmware on a 1.50 there is no need for the chip devhook 44 rules

makaveddie
July 16th, 2006, 01:32
at the moment there is no need.... but sony will continue to try to kill devhook, etc... i am surprised that hackers/coders have been able to decrypt 2.71! Looks like sony has no answer for us yet. :)

spudd_aus
July 16th, 2006, 04:29
Im my opinion, the modchip will still sell cause it should make both downgrading and custom firmware a lot safer to use, so more people will be willing to try it.

RemixUnlimited
July 16th, 2006, 04:36
Well when the sony emu comes out the mod chip will have it along with it's homebrew.
Will devhook have that?

Kramer
July 16th, 2006, 04:39
Well when the sony emu comes out the mod chip will have it along with it's homebrew.
Will devhook have that?

if you didnt know theres a psone emu in the works:D .

GobboFett
July 16th, 2006, 05:14
I think that as soon as the ps3 comes out there will be a surge of need for the U.P. Sony will be using a series of checks between the ps3 and the psp to verify the legitimacy of the PSP's firmware before allowing interaction between the two consoles. Even if we have the firware emu'd perfectly from the stick they can use things like seek times or various other task calls from the firmware to verify that it is or isn't on the flash chip. In this case the only way to go will be a U.P. runnning 1.5 and a the PSP running updated sony firmware.

PS3?! Who in their right mind would buy one of these overpriced chunks of plastic? The PSP on it's own is FAR better :D

On topic I believe that yes, the UP is still in it's early days and right now not many of us PSP users need them. But never say never...

RemixUnlimited
July 16th, 2006, 05:27
if you didnt know theres a psone emu in the works:D .

I'm talking about one that is not fake.

Kramer
July 16th, 2006, 05:33
yeah the one im talking about isnt fake

RemixUnlimited
July 16th, 2006, 05:36
Actualy, the one you are taking about is fake.

Kramer
July 16th, 2006, 05:38
What one do you think im talking about because im not talking about the one thats been proven to be a fake.

RemixUnlimited
July 16th, 2006, 05:40
I'm talking about the one that is not real.
(All of them)

Edshugeo
July 16th, 2006, 05:45

IF I were to buy a PS3, I wouldn't be able to afford the U.P. chip. Not for a while anyway, and at that point a software solution would probably pop up. Chances are it'll be a year before I consider getting a PS3, and if I hear that, in addition to being as expensive as it is, Sony wants to make using it a hassle, then I may settle for an XBox 360 or something else. Nintendo's new machine seems like a more likely purchase this year, for me.

As for the modchip, I'm sure some people will need it, but I suspect a lot more was manufactured than will be sold, until prices come down.

I'm not that concerned about what Sony will do in the future. They should be worried about coaxing my money out of my wallet, and so far only hackers have made it possible for me to buy their software. To me, that seems like an odd business model. It must be working though, cuz they're beating the pants off Nintendo's DS, right?

Ichijoe
July 16th, 2006, 11:57
IF I were to buy a PS3, I wouldn't be able to afford the U.P. chip. Not for a while anyway, and at that point a software solution would probably pop up. Chances are it'll be a year before I consider getting a PS3, and if I hear that, in addition to being as expensive as it is, Sony wants to make using it a hassle, then I may settle for an XBox 360 or something else. Nintendo's new machine seems like a more likely purchase this year, for me.

As for the modchip, I'm sure some people will need it, but I suspect a lot more was manufactured than will be sold, until prices come down.

I'm not that concerned about what Sony will do in the future. They should be worried about coaxing my money out of my wallet, and so far only hackers have made it possible for me to buy their software. To me, that seems like an odd business model. It must be working though, cuz they're beating the pants off Nintendo's DS, right?

Worng the DS Rules (check the Charts!!)

As for the PS3™, It's not goin' well there Processor yields for the Cell Chip™ are under a rather large Rock right now, which is to say it's not good. On top of that S0NY®™ and Co., can not make enough Blue Diodes for there super-sore-away, and reassuringly expencive BlueRay™ Drives.

On top of all this, the PS3™ will likely not be as powerful a System as was first hyped about. Then the €599.00(EUR) Tag on top of this should really get those Boxes moving!

One is left wondering though. Are Playstation Owners more or less stupid then there XBOX-360°™ relations? I guess what I'm asking is how many Videos of Idiots droping there shiny new €599.00(EUR) PS3's into the Parkinglots' of Hicktown Wall-Marts', do you think will pop-up?! Now that's One way to get a PS3™ on the cheap! :p

MadMonkee
July 16th, 2006, 12:40
I'm talking about the one that is not real.
(All of them)

Sony is making a PSOne Emulator, so there is at least one in the works. But I can bet my ass on it, with a proggy as many lines of code as PSOne emulator, there is BOUND to be one function not checking for buffer size before it pushes to stack ;)

With the Release of the Downgraders is the PSP Modchip Not Needed ?

I bought the damn chip and the DAY it came in the mail, poof comes the sceKernelLoadExec buffer overflow exploit. I was so happy and pissed, it was a mix of emotions. At least I can still sell the damn thing, still got no guts to hold that solder. Too fine for my shaky hands.

Video_freak
July 16th, 2006, 13:01
3.0 will be cracked by someone i promise :D

dont make a promise you cant necessarily keep... :p

scottyboynow
July 16th, 2006, 13:21
Ive Got a 2.71 And Havent Got TA-082 So I Might Get Someone To Do This For Me (I Cant Even Assemble A Blow Up Swimming Pool Let Alone A PSP)

ACID
July 16th, 2006, 13:23
LOL not even a small pool. Dont try to use eany programs if you arent sure. Best of luck scotty

MaxSMoke
July 16th, 2006, 13:52
Has *ANYONE* ever actually see one of these Mod Chips, or read a *REAL* 3rd party review of it's existence? All I've seen are presses releases from the maker and some info from this shady group called "Epsilon" that is supposively working on firmware for it. For all anyone knows, there might be NO MOD CHIP. This could all be a scam to rake in pre-order money and disappear into the night.

Video_freak
July 16th, 2006, 14:16
Has *ANYONE* ever actually see one of these Mod Chips, or read a *REAL* 3rd party review of it's existence? All I've seen are presses releases from the maker and some info from this shady group called "Epsilon" that is supposively working on firmware for it. For all anyone knows, there might be NO MOD CHIP. This could all be a scam to rake in pre-order money and disappear into the night.

your right. thats why im waiting for user reviews and an official realease ;)

Edshugeo
July 16th, 2006, 17:03
Worng the DS Rules (check the Charts!!)

I was being sarcastic. There's a funny sentiment among some that we need Sony more than they need us. And apparently Sony shares this sentiment despite what they see happening around them.
If I was a pure gamer, perhaps I'd have a DS, but I'm not. I wanted one device that could kill time in a variety of ways and that is the PSP. Thanks to developers like Ditlew and many, many others this little machine can do much more than I imagined when I bought it. It's my PSP, but Sony still thinks it's theirs.

And I'm veering off topic...

blaz3d
July 17th, 2006, 15:52
the encryption for the next firmware releases will pretty much decide. if we cant crack the encryption then we will need a chip (im not saying we cant decrypt it it might just take a while:p ) imo

tophead420
July 18th, 2006, 07:00
well id still like to have a mod chip for a bvack up just incase i bricked my psp it would make me flash crazy though having a mod chip as my back up plan i still say the mod chip is a must have tho ill probaly never buy one tho ill keep considering it if i get the money for it and id be nice just to be an owner of this but anyway its good for people who dont have a 1.5 psp and want one lol

mog
July 18th, 2006, 15:02
For some reason, these downgraders haven't really changed my opinion about whether a modchip is needed! :D
I still bought a modchip, and have it ready to stick in my 1.00 PSP when I want to. (ie. when FF7CC is released! :p)

With the modchip, I hope to be able to leave fw 1.00 on my PSP flash, and stick fw 2.71/2.80/3.00/whatever on the UP flash.

Another thing I want the modchip for is for testing and programming purposes.
With a modchip I could just use any homebrew I wanted without any worry about how safe it is.
Modchip users could also test programs that are in development that are too unsafe to to be tested or released for normal PSPs. (eg: downgraders, flash modifying, etc).

So I want an indestructable PSP, with fw 1.00 and fw >2.71 on it... I will need the modchip!

And for the people that said earlier that the modchip might not even exist... well I have one...
There are also videos of people installing the modchip at TeknoConsolas (www.TeknoConsolas.info) - a good (spanish) gaming website that has several other very useful PSP "videotutoriales". :cool:
And PSPHacking101 (www.PSPHacking101.com) are going to show Pox installing the modchip soon. :)