PDA

View Full Version : EA's "Project Ten Dollar" explained

wraggster
February 11th, 2010, 20:14
Systems like Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network, Dragon Age's DLC network and upcoming launch add-ons for Bad Company 2 are all part of something EA calls "Project Ten Dollar".

That's according to a report in BusinessWeek talking about CEO John Riccitiello's plan to reduce second-hand sales, which the company makes no money from.

The idea, apparently green-lit last autumn, is to include a coupon or redeemable code with every new game which gives the buyer another chunk of content. Without that code, second-hand buyers will have to spend $10 to obtain the missing extras.

Riccitiello told BusinessWeek that despite 11 straight quarters of losses EA is on the up again thanks to its 2010 line-up and strategies like Project Ten Dollar. "You see a six-foot hole that we're in. I'm telling you that we were in a 20-foot hole and we've climbed 14 feet out of it," he said.

As well as providing consumers more reasons to buy games new rather than second-hand, EA also plans to try and stop people trading their games in by tacking multiplayer onto everything - something that rival Ubisoft this week said it was also planning to do.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eas-project-ten-dollar-explained

Qmark
February 11th, 2010, 20:27
So...

EA intends to replace secondhand sales with "wait six months for it to drop to $20" sales?

As well as providing consumers more reasons to buy games new rather than second-hand, EA also plans to try and stop people trading their games in by tacking multiplayer onto everything - something that rival Ubisoft this week said it was also planning to do.Oh, this is much better. Now the games will simply stop working after three or four years, when the servers are shut off.

symbal
February 11th, 2010, 21:25
So $60 for a game with stuff deliberately missing so everyone has to download dlc, or like with most EA sports games within a few months it is completely worthless second hand and can get it easily for $15, or within a year for $2.

Krisando
February 11th, 2010, 23:14
I think this is the perfect time to say "Pirate software kids!!". EA has the worst game publishing record, you ask anyone what they think about EA they say, "Cheap nasty games" "They mass produce log grade games" and so on.. This could potentially kill Biowares sales. Hell, i'm sick of buying games. Too much darn protection and effort to have.

Stop supporting EA people! >_<

ojdon
February 12th, 2010, 10:38
EA is the only reason why I haven't played Mass Effect 1 & 2 yet. I hear the first one is getting quite cheap now second hand now the second one has been released. ;)