PDA

View Full Version : PMP VLC 0.0.9 Player

wraggster
July 17th, 2006, 18:38
jockyw2001 (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=6053&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=b59f64c7b9fb4faf106f1892f324797b) posted this news/release for the PSP.

First off what is the VLC PLayer:

PMP VLC Player plays mediafiles:

A) from memorystick
* Videos from PSP/VIDEO
* Music from PSP/MUSIC

B) from Optixx' PMP Server via WiFi (requires Python)

C) transcoded and streamed from VLC via WiFi (requires VLC 0.8.5)

Heres the new release info:

This one has AVC hardware video decoding support. Now you can see live TV and DVDs on your psp in high quality. That's 25 frames per second and in full screen (480x272).

ChangeLog

1) added AVC hardware video decoding support for high quality streaming and playback from memstick (requires the also supplied VLC 0.8.5 with x264 support for PSP)
2) scaling does now work correctly (pressing start during playback toggles screen mode if picture resolution < 480x272)
3) pressing right trigger in main menu now really connects to network and the IP address is shown
4) up to 5 video and 5 music directories can be added in pmp.ini
5) network path no longer displayed in filenames, except for the selected entry
6) the supplied VLC 0.8.5 package automatically installs the required pspfiles.html file
7) solved several vlc and net directory buffer issues where there was crap at the end of the listing
8) the supplied VLC 0.8.5 can be used to encode video files, DVDs, live streams, capture device sources etc. to AVC avi files
9) fixed a bug where the previous track in the playlist was played again

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

seijou
July 17th, 2006, 19:02
:)

nigelrigel
July 17th, 2006, 22:04
OMG THIS IS GREAT VLC ON PSP, vlc is pure 1337 for those n00bs who use windows media player

BazzaLB
July 17th, 2006, 22:35
I'm buggered if I can get this to work. I followed the install instructions to the letter.

Installed VLC using VLC package in archive.

Copied the 2 PSP directories into PSP/GAME

Created PSP/VIDEO and put the supplied AVI in that directory

Modified pimp.ini for my PC IP and PC directories

Fire up VLC on PC.

Fire up VLC009 on PSP. Enable WiFi.

When I select Video from the menu on the PSP it just hangs on the menu, so I can't run the AVI that the readme suggests to do first. I have put the AVI file on the ms into PSP/VIDEO and made sure my PC video directory has a video in as well, but no go.

If I select Music then I typically get a PSP blue screen crash with a Bus Error exception.

If I try the DVD option, the DVD starts playing on my PC (So I know the WiFi is working), but after a pause with "loading..." on the PSP, it finally errors with some decoding error, but I do hear the start of the soundtrack. The PSP controls also seem to still operate VLC on the PC just fine even though I have an error screen on the PSP displaying "AVC error: sceMpegAVCDecode failed"

In desperation I booted my PSP into 2.71 using devhook, fired up the browser and entered http://192.168.1.5:8080/admin/pspfiles.html?dir=c:/mystuff/ and got the expected directory listing from VLC running on my PC, so they communicate fine.

I'm running FW 1.5

Have other people got this working? Can someone please help :confused:

EDIT: Well, after playing around with this for quite some time and changing NOTHING, it is now working :confused: .. Seems a bit flakey, but I have to say "Finding Nemo" looks fantastic playing on the PSP... w00t

EDIT2: Seen this work once on my PSP and now it just won't work again. I need to play the ENABLE-AVC.AVI from memory stick before the DVD picture will show (sound plays fine), but I have only ever once been able to select "Video" from then menu without having the PSP either hang or CRASH. I have no idea what exactly is wrong here either as it worked once. Any help/advice appreciated, because this thing is GREAT when you see it working

Zombo
July 18th, 2006, 01:30
vlc.exe are they talking about the one in the zip or what?

MUDD
July 18th, 2006, 01:50
Add this to the long list of nice
Homebrew i cant get working.

nigelrigel, you make being a noob
and useing MPC a bad thing .i
hate VLC. i think only stupid ppl
use it .:D

emuking
July 18th, 2006, 01:50
this is such confusing crap you guys should just download pimpstreamer

mag060790
July 18th, 2006, 04:40
reads vids straight from psp/video? does this mean we do not need to encode them to a specific format

mungrin
July 18th, 2006, 05:16
im lost

Amiga
July 18th, 2006, 10:49
lol,Bazzel ive done everything u done but i can access music and video files u have to eidt the pmp ini file on ya psp and change the directories of the music and video ,i changed them to directories on my pc,i can play music but cant play movies or dvd or tv stream without it comming out with "AVC error: sceMpegAVCDecode failed"

Amiga
July 18th, 2006, 11:19
also the test movie ran perfectly, sound and picture but cant play any of my own stuff.

LazerTag
July 18th, 2006, 13:15
also the test movie ran perfectly, sound and picture but cant play any of my own stuff.

It is said in the documentation that AVC encoding is still very buggy. If your using it by setting

use_avc_hw = 1

in the pmp.ini Jocky says to make sure to play a few seconds of the "avc-enable.avi". I found this needs to be done before you play each video or if you stop and restart a video.

The buggy problems I noted using AVC was

1) The screen size would change on it's own here and there, I guess as the demuxer was try to encode to the proper size 480x272 from what I have it set to originally?

2) Intermittent video freeze up. I could still exit the program using Home, most of the time.

3) Too many files in one directory appear to cause the PSP to blue screen crash? (not sure if this is fact yet or not)

I'm going to play later with using a different rendering method over AVC and see how it goes.

Anyone having issues just getting installed, this program is not "confusing crap" as noted above, just follow the directions for installation under section 3 of the "README-PMPVLC Player.txt". It's just as easy to use as PiMP Streamer.

When you edit the pmp.ini file, best to open in Wordpad or something for the Unix text conversion (basically CRLF's between the two are usually off cause Windows sucks :P ).

1) Set the VLC, PMP, and Live server to the proper IP address on your network that's hosting those items. For me it's my main rig for VLC and PMP but my other system for Live as it has my TV card.

2) Then set the videopath and musicpath 1 through 5 to your folders which contain video/music on your PC. So for instance change "d:\Movies\;" to "c:\MEDIA\MOVIES\;" Just make sure to leave the ending backslash and semi-colon.

3) If you change from the default AVC encoding, well I have no info yet as I have not done it. Looks pretty easy though. Change

use_avc_hw = 1

to

use_avc_hw = 0

I assume. I don't think you have to pick a different video codec? Not sure here, but he gives recommended settings about halfway through the readme.

I recommend these settings as they are most stable and deliver reasonable good quality:

res_horiz = 360;
res_vert = 272;
vid_codec = DIV3;
vid_bitrate = 600;
vid_fps = 25;
aud_codec = mp3;
aud_bitrate = 48;
aud_channels = 2;
container = ogg;

I plan to start with these and work my way around a little.

Amiga
July 18th, 2006, 14:16
ive tried with "use_avc_hw = 0" and it did run my movies but too slow to be watchable.

LazerTag
July 18th, 2006, 17:22
I tried with the recommended settings above and the movie starting up was slow, but once it started playing it seemed to be working fine. I admit I did not have a ton of time this morning. also it seemed to depend as well on which movies. I usually take my DVDs and encode them to MPG-2 using DVD2SVCD at 720x480 at a bitrate of 1950 so then I can watch over my two media computers at different locations in the house. However I do have a few movies that someone else encoded in SVCD format and they seem to either play with a bunch of skipping or freeze up completely.

I'll test more when I can. Good program so far very fun.

phazey
July 19th, 2006, 08:28
Has anyone tried this with an input device like a tv tuner or analogue in? I will do so in a while, but just wondered what others milage was...

BazzaLB
July 19th, 2006, 08:39
The developer thought he knew the cause of my crashes.. He has since released an update and sure enough, it now works perfectly for me.

Watched an entire "Finding Nemo" DVD at 480x272 without a hitch.

Zombo
July 21st, 2006, 00:01
How do you do this....Im totally lost during steps 3-4.

vatomalo
September 1st, 2006, 02:11
turn avc off in pmp.ini dude!!! use use_avc_hw = 0; anyways i find this very sluggish at the time being pimpstreamer streams alot better. but then again it only plays pmp... so pleez keep up the good work and try make the streaming better, cuz its impossible to really watch anything for me right now, and yeah sometimes it dosent work at all

hetster
September 13th, 2006, 20:54
paste this into ini replacing the original
change relevant ip's
the top 2 ip's 192.xx and right at the bottom 192.xx

# Net Io Config
[net]
con = 1;
vlc_server = 192.XXX.XXX.XXX;
vlc_port = 8080;

pmp_server = 192.XXX.XXX.XXX;
pmp_port = 3333;

debug = 0;

videopath1 = c:\Movies\;
videopath2 = ;
videopath3 = ;
videopath4 = ;
videopath5 = ;

musicpath1 = c:\Music\;
musicpath2 = ;
musicpath3 = ;
musicpath4 = ;
musicpath5 = ;

dvd_drive = e:

# VLC transcoding settings
[transcode]
res_horiz = 360;
res_vert = 272;
use_avc_hw = 0;
vid_codec = DIV3;
vid_bitrate = 600;
vid_fps = 25;
venc = x264{me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1};

aud_codec = mp3;
aud_bitrate = 48;
aud_channels = 2;
resample = 0;
aud_samplerate = 44100;

container = ogg;

# live stream server
[live]
liveserver = 192.XXX.XXX.XXX;
liveport = 1234;

then in vlc on pc click stream optput and in target at top paste

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=400,width=360,heig ht=272,fps=18,acodec=mp3,ab=48,channels=2}:duplica te{dst=std{access=http,mux=ogg,url=192.xxx.xxx.xxx :1234}}

change the end 192.xxx again

to find your ip click start then run then type cmd.exe in the dos window type ipconfig...replace the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx with your own

then watch anything you want..dvd's avi's etc even stream live tv

Johnnsen
December 8th, 2006, 14:26
Hey ive managed to stream from tvuplayer. Thats really neat, but could someone tell me how to stream a dvd to psp? I cant get it to work. I would be so glad if anyone could help...
Edit: The guide in the post above doesnt work...

JediMasterYoda
January 1st, 2007, 07:28
has anyone got this to work from a d2box?

i have tryed but it says it failed to connect but neutrino is working ok

mootoo
January 7th, 2007, 18:26
has anyone got this to work from a d2box?

i have tryed but it says it failed to connect but neutrino is working ok
it worx for mi very good check this :rolleyes:
http://psp.games4you.cz/download.php?id=713

carlitx
January 7th, 2007, 19:23
meh i allready had the vlc player on my pc its so awsom plays evey file typ of vid u could ever find:p

djshaun06
January 21st, 2007, 14:12
Sorry to bump this thread but how do i stream a usb freeview tv from my laptop to my psp. I have custom firmware. Thanks

PS How do I start a new thread on here. When i click on new thread, it says i dont have permission to do this. Help please!

raid517
February 9th, 2007, 18:48
Hi, is it possible to change TV channels from my PSP when streaming TV from my PC?

Can't VLC be controled by some kind of web intercae?

As far as all the videos I have seen go, it appears you can only watch one channel and to change channels you have to do so directly on the PC.

Is this accurate?

Marusame
March 25th, 2007, 08:59
I use pimpstreamer, it decodes all formats or most of em and sends em to my psp. that it. I can listen to Mp3s wma's and play Avi's. Im not putting this down, im just saying this is for Hardcore crowd with certain needs of video.

Oh and in pimpstreamer if your ip changes, you put it on usb mode and run the ip installer thing and itll connect ya easy.

On the Plus side for Vlc is Quality i beleive as i hear almost dvd quality from ppl. but i have no problem running 800bitrate playing a high quality(over 400meg avi) onto my psp with no stutter and perfect sound.

If vlc is your thing, this mod is heaven, if your noobish to this or dont want it, use pimp streamer. Id use this program myself if i can get it to work.

make an installer or something.

johnc1234
April 14th, 2007, 14:47
i need to use pmp vlc to stream football / soccer mathces off the internet.

ross611
April 24th, 2007, 18:54
who da **** u callin a nob cemal jockey

d78596
June 28th, 2007, 05:16
How Do I Get It On My Psp

carlitx
June 28th, 2007, 21:53
yah vlc kiks some ass lol :P

jakester2552
July 22nd, 2007, 20:27
tank u wery much:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

wind_tsubasa
February 13th, 2008, 07:23
tasukete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

abbeyonline
February 20th, 2008, 12:52
Hi, im a fresher into the PSP world and have issues with basic stuff, can anyone tell me how i can download the VLC on the psp? can i simply use PSP wifi to download straight to PSP or first into computer n then to psp.if the latter then which folder am i to copy the file too.pls help.
very stupid question but just learning.
thanks

AdamRav
February 20th, 2008, 14:42
Hi, im a fresher into the PSP world and have issues with basic stuff, can anyone tell me how i can download the VLC on the psp? can i simply use PSP wifi to download straight to PSP or first into computer n then to psp.if the latter then which folder am i to copy the file too.pls help.
very stupid question but just learning.
thanks

First question for you

Is your psp hacked ???

if not then this wont work on your psp