PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Cream of the Crop From the DS Homebrew Scene ?

wraggster
July 17th, 2006, 20:13
The DS Homebrew Scene and also the GBA Homebrew Scene has hundreds of fantastic releases some as good as commercial games but to a newcomer they are just names on sites until they discover them.

What would be great is for the people who visit here to post the best emulators, games and apps from the GBA and DS Scenes.

What release or releases can you 100% recommend to any newcomers or experianced Homebrewer.

Please answer via the comments

Junixx
July 17th, 2006, 20:17
I would say the 3 Best apps for the DS are Moonshell, Beup, and Win2DS

jojotjuh
July 17th, 2006, 20:18
moonshell... absolutely
and flashme also...

as they are both very handy :)

dslinux and dsorganize too, but its just me :)

Mazza
July 17th, 2006, 20:19
I've been playing a game called balance (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19550) by Seddy, It's hard when you start but once you get to grips with it it's fun. Be warned it gets frustrating and the touch screen is a bit off but you have to direct a ball around a map. Think of it as a hard version of marble blast for xbox live

The Hombrew Hunter
July 17th, 2006, 20:37
Smash Bros. Advance Tech Demo. As it comes along, it seems awesome.

http://www.gbadev.org/

DS Organize, and the PocketNES, GoomBA Colour, Snezzi DS, the asskicking emus. And that Neo Geo Pocket. I only saw them around my Ames before it closed.

Rarely.

Ethoscapade
July 18th, 2006, 00:50
as far as emulators / apps go:

nesDS, scummVM, goomba color, nitrotracker, and, of course, flashme, are all fantastic. snesDS and snezzi are both still a ways from perfect and are a bit of a headache to get working (i still prefer snesDS in this regard) but are terrific as well, and newer apps like picodrive and ndsmail are showing excellent promise. also, rain merits special mention for being able to perfectly manhandle any kind of eeprom save to and from original carts, but it's not really the sort of thing you buy a supercard for.

as far as games go: every extends is a great, if incomplete port of a wonderful doujin game, luminesweeper gets boring a bit too quickly for not really having difficulty that increases fast enough to compensate for the lack of flashy lights but is a good replacement for a psp anyway, and blast arena advance and touch of war are terrific.

shadowcolt22
July 18th, 2006, 01:00
Picodrive, DSorganize, and Moonshell, top 3, hands down

Eyedunno
July 18th, 2006, 02:10
Moonshell is not perfect (seeking sucks and there's no display of total time/current time/time remaining), but it's currently by far the best way to view video on any Nintendo portable. Throw in the fact that it has mp3 playing (with the unit closed and the screen off, thus saving a lot of power!) and text file viewing, and you have a winner. If Moonshell offered some simple way to jump to keyframes and had more information on the progress bar, it would be almost perfect.

As for others, well, nesDS (fast-forward and rewind whoa!), scummVM (though I've experienced a few crashing issues), and flashme are good. I'm still waiting for better quality and compatibility from SnezziDS and picodrive.

RowaN
July 18th, 2006, 14:56
NDSMail!
Nitrotracker (the one ancient build that didnt crash after 2 seconds)
Win2DS

souLLy
July 18th, 2006, 18:10
scummvm ds, or course!

Iteo
July 19th, 2006, 02:52
First, dslinux is awesome for linux/programmy people. Following that, dsorganize and moonshell are good for multiboot. Emulatorwise, stellads is fun, but it seems to be somewhat out of whack. Snesds is good when you can get it to work. Picodrive is enjoyable but slow. Nesds works like a charm. In general for apps, Nitrotracker, NDSMAIL, Beup, DS2WIN, and wifi chat are good. Many games arent very developed yet. That is my helpul hint.

camerondennis
July 20th, 2006, 09:04
Hey I wish I could acces my Datel HDD, but I cant, so I need help, I accenentaly changed the name of the drive, so I need to know what the drive is called form the "My computer" menu it should be like G/: Datel max... some thing like that