PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Hacking News - Geohot Update

wraggster
February 14th, 2010, 18:41
Geohot is back with a new post on his blog:

Today I verified my theories about running the isolated SPUs as crypto engines. I believe that defeats the last technical argument against the PS3 being hacked.

In OtherOS, all 7 SPUs are idle. You can command an SPU(which I'll leave as an exercise to the reader) to load metldr, from that load the loader of your choice, and from that decrypt what you choose, everything from pkgs to selfs. Including those from future versions.

The PPU is higher on the control chain then the SPUs. Even if checks were to be added to, for example, verify the hypervisor before decrypting the kernel, with clever memory mappings you can hide your modified hypervisor.

Ah, but you still didn't get the Cell root key. And I/we never will. But it doesn't matter. For example, we don't have either the iPhone or PSP "root key". But I don't think anyone doubts the hackedness of those systems.

I wonder if any systems out there are actually secure?

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/02/on-isolated-spus.html

VampDude
February 14th, 2010, 20:53
I thought the news of this had died on the 27th, it still looks like the proof of the PS3 being hacked and shown to the public is a long way off.

Even if people misuse the hacking for piracy, it will be a piracy that 80% of PS3 owners couldn't afford... Which the thought of that alone makes me laugh, with the discs and drives not being as cheap as the DVD drives used to easily reproduce X-Box 360 and Wii titles, no SONY are far ahead of the common pirate. :cool:

darkriku2000
February 15th, 2010, 02:18
I wonder if any systems out there are actually secure?

Well, we don't have a decent DSi hack yet (hint hint)

jxx2005
February 15th, 2010, 05:18
Well, we don't have a decent DSi hack yet (hint hint)

dont the R4 cards or whatever they're called, for the DS, work on the DSi?

symbal
February 15th, 2010, 17:13
As soon as Ps3 or 360 homebrew can at least match the Xbox original i'll take some interest in this, and as soon as a working Dreamcast emulator arrives i'll chin anyone that gets in the way of me downloading.