PDA

View Full Version : R.i.p. Psp ?

wraggster
July 18th, 2006, 18:23
A disturbing article from the GameWorld Network,

its starts like this:

The PSP was doomed to fail from the very beginning. With high development costs, a lack of hit games, the UMD movie format, its poor E3 performances, and the competition it faces from the formidable DS Lite, the PSP is now on its last leg. As the following paragraphs reveal in detail, the PSP has started down the road of no return and with each passing moment digs itself farther and farther into its grave.

It all started on March 24, 2005. The PSP was to end Nintendo’s dominating presence in the handheld market just as the Playstation and Playstation 2 took the home console market. The PSP has far superior graphics, a bigger screen, and multimedia functionality. All this extra power did come at a price. The PSP was $100 dollars more than the DS and $170 dollars more than a GBA.

The PSP’s power also had a price for developers who would now have to spend upwards of ten times the amount of money to develop a PSP game as opposed to a GBA game. In 2005 a survey by The Japanese Computer Entertainment Suppliers Association reported that the average development costs for a PSP game was the same as a GCN game and just short of a PS2 game.

and ends like this:

Conclusion

In the end the PSP still has a very steep hill to climb and currently there are many more reasons not to invest in this system than there are reasons to purchase one. Overall the PSP’s game library lacks hit software, UMD movies are on their way out with a very weak MemoryStick option replacing it, the past two years at E3 have been near disastrous, the DS Lite shines brighter in every aspect, and finally gamers budgets are going to be very strained over the course of the next ten months at least as we all rush to buy the Wii, PS3, or an Xbox 360.

There comes a time in every system’s life when you know there really isn’t any hope left, we’ve all seen it with Virtual Boy, Dreamcast, and N64 just to name a few. At first it’s hard to accept and though there might seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel it usually turns out to be a new system with a promise that it will be better this time around. Bottom line: Trade in the PSP while you can still get a decent deal!

Read the Full Article HERE (http://www.gwn.com/articles/article.php/id/747/)

Agree or Disagree, please reply via comments

Jonesyxxiv
July 18th, 2006, 18:28
But the Hombrew scene is thriving!

Edit: The N64 was awesome. I still play it all the time.

compoman386
July 18th, 2006, 18:30
The N64 is classed in this article as a failed console, whilst it may not have been a raging success like the psone or ps2, I am still glad that I owned one instaed of playstation. In years to come when i am still playing good games an enjoying amazing homebrew on my psp, I hope I will be glad that I didn't jump on the DS bandwagon. More sales do not necessarily mean it's a better product (Windows anyone?)

July 18th, 2006, 18:30
Nooooo

Briggzy11
July 18th, 2006, 18:32

I agree, homebrew will take the PSP to a new level

July 18th, 2006, 18:33
Whell anyways I am never turning in my psp It will be wirh me untill is breaks whell right now the home brew scean is still large and the n64 emu is coming soon. bottob line I am never turning in my psp.

Malksta
July 18th, 2006, 18:36
THE PSP will never dieee that article is bullsh!t its liiiiiiies

Uruz 6
July 18th, 2006, 18:36
So.. anybody know what the writer of this article was smoking?

Shadowblind
July 18th, 2006, 18:37
ha...haha...hahahHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

dOOmy
July 18th, 2006, 18:42
I think the article is funny and wack. Sony is not going to give up on the psp and admit that nintendo kicked its a$$. I have a psp and a ds and I admit that the psp is far superior and unless you like puzzle games, most of the ds games arent worth buying. I just wish that the psp was sturdier like the ds. I take my ds out with me and leave the "portable" psp at home.

LAMPRO
July 18th, 2006, 18:43
I see the mainstream perspective, but for all of us here at dcemu, and other sites that continually push the envelope, to use the psp in regards to new and exciting ways to expand the psp capability, there is no tunnel because the end is nowhere to be seen. Something new is released everyday!! The potentials are endless and the different ways the psp can be used will continue to evolve. I think that was the major success of the psp. The ability to be a developer/coder dream, as a handheld console that will be the most influential when it comes to the future. All of the things I personally use it for, and not, are truly amazing.

***100th post***

Tetris999
July 18th, 2006, 18:54
yeah i posted this news i think this stuff they put here was bs really homebrew owns and ds looks so CRAAAAAAAPPPPPPY that how can u play any games for it. like take advance wars its a cool game but just not taking advantage of the DS. i also have a ds and i think its crap i was sick of the cartoon games and bullshit and got an awsome 1.5 psp. the ds is crap and soon the psp will be able to do many things like emulators! you know what i heard therye making a DS EMULATOR HAHAHAHAHAA HILARIOUS HUH TAKE THAT DS! MUAHHAHAHAHH PIECE OF GRAINY CRAP!

Tomppa
July 18th, 2006, 19:02
So.. anybody know what the writer of this article was smoking?
Exactly.

I wouldn't say that N64 failed. Neither did DS, PSP or GBA. I've seen some nice homebrew for DS, but, not as nice as with PSP :) I'm happy with my selection. Commercial games may have seen "the end of the tunnel" or how was it, but not homebrew, never :)

shinysuitman
July 18th, 2006, 19:15
there are a lot of things that make this article right. for instance, the cost of game production for a PSP game is right out of the roof for a hand-held system. that along with all of the financial aspect of the system make the psp a very hard thing to choose when looking purely at the financial aspect of it.

however...

the reason we buy systems isnt because of the financial aspect of it, is it? no. each system is bought and played according to the wants of its owner. yes the DS might be alot cheaper, but when you look at features, theres a very short road for the DS. Having all of the features combined within the PSP makes the system actually very portable; a game system, mp3 player, picture and video viewer, and a web browser with various software support like flash and java. buy each of those seperatly anywhere and youll end up paying more money that the psp. furthermore, with the addition of homebrew on the psp, it becomes even more than anyone could have thought at the beginning of its arrival.

the author of this article talks about how the virtual boy, the N64 and such failed as systems (to which i disagree with the N64 part. maybe because it floped so hard that we are trying to get it on the psp ;) ) but fails to mention the fact that those entertainment systems were just that; nothing more.

bottom line...... the psp is a gaming console, but also so much more. the DS is just a gaming console. I have both and use them each a lot; but i do that because both of the satisfy a want that i have for gaming

Voltron
July 18th, 2006, 19:16
This article got me very angry. I think the PSP has just barely scratched the surface of what it can do. The games are starting to get really great. The PSOne EMU is right around the corner. The interconnectivity with the PS3 will give the PSP added features, and more services will probably be available for the PSP.

I think we have a lot in store for the PSP and it is WAY too early to declare the PSP dead in the water.

I would invite everyone to look at scheduled release dates for PSP games. In September alone, there will be a slew of GREAT titles which will surely boost the PSP's popularity. And October, November, & December will great game releases also. And if Sony plays their cards right with their PSOne EMU service, that could be very profitable and ensure that the PSP doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.

Trust me, lots of great things are in store for the PSP. And of course homebrew will continue to make the PSP appealing to more and more people.

rock_light
July 18th, 2006, 19:25
The PSP is going down in flames.
But... Who cares? How many REAL titles do you play anyways. Wouldn't Powered Up have been WAY better on DS anyways? (Prolly not but it COULD have been)
UMDs cost twice as much as a DVD so who the heck is going to buy them? Who would buy a UMD movie when they have a method of making a psp version of any DVD-Quality movie they buy and then moving it to memstick? Your only going to watch it a couple times anyways. If they like released FFVIIAC with the new game THEN I'd watch it but who wants to go pay $15 more for a UMD only they can enjoy when for 1/2 the price they could watch it in hi-def, with 5.1 and let their friends enjoy all at the same time.

(That's what makes a DVD, "DVD quality" High Defenition and 5.1 Digital Surround. Not 480x272, Stereo)

I personally think the idea of UMD movies is cool but seriously as far as a good business? No way. Too much $$. As far as umd sales go EB ain't doing so well. PSP has been out for over a year and still no value priced games. (I'll buy wipeout when i see it for around $30.) How can sony not expect ppl to pirate their games? They run faster and better than UMD. Even ppl that dont want to pirate have learned how with a disabled loader. Now unless they can keep their psx library for online download not cracked they may just make enough for them to bring out a few more games but let's face it. Now that all games up untill 3.0 are pirated they may be lost for the sales.
The funny thing is all they need are like 5 games to save the system. And they're all coming out next season.

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Tekken, GTA:VC, GTurismo.

Well Tekken already works with devhook...

The worst part is, how are they going to save all the customers that wont update? Cuz as far as sony feels, they've been betrayed. Sony lost money on PSP hardware. Only way to make that up is if you sell software. Well no-one is going to buy your software if they can't run it sony. (I bet they have made more than enough on memsticks though)

-The homebew scene is getting stronger by the day
and this could be or IS a threat to comercial sales for psp.-

At least they are playing real sony games, that's advertizement. Most pirates buy games they like anyways. Just happens that most games suck.
Playing SMB2 for NES is not. That might get 'me' excited enough to go DS for the new SMB.

After sony fails with all the $$$ they put up for the dl service they will stop after another 1/2 year and homebrew will reign supreme. (cuz it will have outlasted and that's all)
Funny thing is the answer is right in front of them.
SDK prices and availability. Sony just needs to make a dope 'free sdk' and then allow homebrew on later consoles. They would take it all with legit homebrew without the need to mod.
Oh the ps3 could also save psp if it supports use of umd games/movies on it's own. Then they will sell ALL that software fast and psp users will want a TV psp badley so PS3 will sell like nuts w/o any games.

2.5+ was hacked by pirates for pirates. And I've already bought Monster Hunter, Megaman Irregular HunterX, wifi max and soon a 2gb.

Homebrew has been working forever and I use a 256mb SanDisk for that so what does that have to say about "piracy vs homebrew" which hurts more?

*by saying this i do 'not' mean you will enjoy your psp any less. Just that I bet Sony will stop support potentialy sooner than you may hope.

yaustar
July 18th, 2006, 19:38
I agree with the article to a certain extent. First of all ignore homebrew, the article is talking about the PSP being a commercial failure and homebrew doens't make any money for Sony (Arguable).

Development costs are high compared to the GBA or DS and makes developers slightly weary to develop for it especially with new IPs. Developers need to make use of the power of the hardware to get their game visually noticed. This in turn can lead to longer development times.

THe PSP and games are expensive, £35 to 40 a shot, it doesn't make it very attractive when it matches the price point of home consoles' games.

Things are looking up and Sony are trying extremely hard to push sales with new hardware and features. There are also some games on the horizon that look good.

My main gripe with the PSP is that it doesn't have the pick up and play attitude that should be with handhelds, it feels more 'sit down and play for hours' that should be with home consoles so hardly anyone takes it with them. It doesn't help that it is an expensive piece of kit as well, not something you want to carry around.

On the whole DS and PSP perspective, here is something to think on.

Bunch of 3rd Game development students + Masters Game programming students.
They all go on a 2hr coach trip to a mini conference.
Guess what is played.

8 player Mario kart DS and a side game of bomberman on share mode (and a couple of GBA Micros). Not a single PSP in sight.

bm4n
July 18th, 2006, 19:40
wow...you are so wrong...umd movies are out sure but who cares, its a game system. and i love how the article called the memory stick movie option "weak"...like the option of carrying dvd quality movies on you and changing at will at no cost is weak...ok. from the beginning that has been probably 50% of my use of the psp. then 15% music, 5% pictures, 15% homebrew and 15% umd games. rock_light, you are on crack, the psp won't go anywhere any time soon for the same reason taht the xbox didn't die. M$ pumped as much pmoney as they could into the beast so that they would be in a good position for the 360, and guess what...the 360 has been met with commercial success so far. same with the psp, sony is just building for the psp2. so pirates arent killing anything and the loss of umd movies does not matter in the slightest. also homebrew is not killing the psp, just making it stronger.

Video_freak
July 18th, 2006, 19:46

Edit: The N64 was awesome. I still play it all the time.

i agree completly! i loved the N64 and still use it (until psp n64 emu :).) the psp scene is great! i only own two games for my psp: wipeout pure and GTA: LCS (both which can be used for homebrew btw), but i have hundreds of homebrew games, emulators, and apps on my memry stick

uranidiot
July 18th, 2006, 19:55
ps2! Developers Must Stop Making Ps2 Games And Concentrate On The Psp. I Stopped Buying Ps2 Games And Will Only Buy Psp. The Only Games I Plan To Buy On The Ps2 Is God Of War 2 And Socom Combat Assault. I Have About 15 Psp Games Already. Developers Should Concentrate On Psp And Ps3 Games.

Mustang
July 18th, 2006, 19:57
Article is nonsense : the author clearly isnt a fan of homebrew, emulators or hasnt done his reasearch - I heard about psp homebrew through a leading uk pc games magazine, from a staff who are passionate about games future, it's heritage and what it means to be a gamer....

I had the DS at launch and couldnt be more dissappointed - if he had compared the psp to the gp2 then it may be a different matter, but comparing it to the one trick pony (touch screen) handheld is pathetic (sorry nintendo fans : nothing personal), the two systems are very different.

repuken2
July 18th, 2006, 19:58
Mame+snes+neogeo+neocd+nes+gamegear+master_system+ genesis+game_boy+game_boy_color+gameboy_advance+at ari_lynx+nintendo_64+commodore_64+atari_st+commodo re_amiga+colecovision+atari2600+atari5200+neogeo_p ocket+beats_of_rage+quake+doom+homebrew_games+pc_e ngine+nec_supergrafx+turbo_duo_cd+more_to_come

Wft They Talking About????!!!

E.J.
July 18th, 2006, 20:01
The PSP is far more than just a portable game console, is a little Dreams Machine.

I still see my PSP and think: how the hell did they stuff so many wonderfull things in this little black box??

BTW, the D.C. wasn't a failure, i still think its a increible piece of hardware, a lot of fun for little money, its a shame that Sega let the DC die (die?? well, it has its homebrew scene too, and its great!!!)

rock_light
July 18th, 2006, 20:02
Buying a Nintendo DS at launch is what sold PSP for me. I had that thing for what felt like FOREVER before there were any games better than Mario64DS.

It took about a year after I had traded in my DS for a PSP that I had any interest in buying one again, and that interest is really only based on games that STILL havent come out for DS yet and the fact that they redesigned the entire console!

luis_05
July 18th, 2006, 20:02
The PSP will never die!! Nintendo DS sucks a**, i use to own one. I sold cuz u have to buy other things to run homebrew, wiht the PSP its as easy as 1-2-3!!!
Screw GameWorld Network they dont know how to really use the PSP!! I think Nintendo payed them to say that. Conspiracy anyone?
LONG LIVE THE PSP!!

dagger89
July 18th, 2006, 20:04
Another article from Nintendo Fanboy ranting his *** off while buckets of sweat roll down his armpit....

Lets see:

1) Of course the dev costs are high... Look at the games. Take Brave Story. Compare those graphics to ps1 graphics, now compare them to Nintendogs... See the diffference? The graphics for the psp are astounding for a PORTABLE system. Almost on par w/ early ps2 graphics. (Remember Eternal Ring any1?)

2)"a lack of hit games." Hmmmm... Valkyrie Profile, Syphon Filter, Daxter, Lumines, Socom... Just to name a few.... Sry they aren't baby games like "Nintendogs" aka Pet Simulator for ppl w/o a life, or stupid

3) "its poor E3 performances"... Lumines II, Crisis Core, Socom 2, Every Extend Extra (E3), and Loco Roco say differently...

4) "the competition it faces from the formidable DS Lite"... Yea, maybe in Japan. Not in America or Europe.... I see at least 3-5 ppl on my way to work w/ psp earbuds and the psp everyday... I see 1 crying little brat kid w/ a DS....

5) "The PSP was $100 dollars more than the DS and $170 dollars more than a GBA." Can the DS play MP3's, Videos, Web browse, listen to RSS feeds, dl PS1 games, and look at photos out of the box. I think not. And while we're at it, lets compare emulators/ homebrew.... Right, the DS can't emulate N64 games or PS1 games,

shadowprophet
July 18th, 2006, 20:04
People are worried that the psp may be a commercial failure?!

Seriously who here actually plays commercial umds anyway? Were here form homebrew!!

The point is. We have our own community and our own scene. The psp has done more for the homebrew scene then most of you will ever know. So the question is in who's eyes did this system fail? Because it didn't line Sony's pockets well enough!? The homebrew scene will be here for us, And only get better for years to come on the psp. Hell the dreamcast is still getting homebrew! Just keep coming back to dcemu and we'll keep giving you the best homebrew on the planet. Forget about $sony, We've got your back

RedKing14CA
July 18th, 2006, 20:10
That line about how the games cost 10 times more...

WTF!!!!!!!!! WTF'N F'K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats because all the GBA games were FK'N REMAKES!!

i like nothing using the F word

saint24
July 18th, 2006, 20:14
does this not sound like sony screwed them over something?

there is tons of life left in the psp thanks to recent developments.

they were definately real pissed about something dont you think?

Zombo
July 18th, 2006, 20:16
Although I love my PSP (and wouldn't ever trade it)
IMHO am I the only thing that thinks homebrew helped it gained popularity? Then again I got mine without knowing about the emu's and I still loved it.:P

skater9269
July 18th, 2006, 20:20
bull crap even if sony completley drops it homebrew will keep me with it this article sounds like a nintendo fanboy wrote it.

yaustar
July 18th, 2006, 20:27
I don't believe this. The article is about COMMERCIAL success. Homebrew has 0/zip/nada/nothing to do with this.

GBA remakes? How about all the PS2 ones?

1) Of course the dev costs are high... Look at the games. Take Brave Story. Compare those graphics to ps1 graphics, now compare them to Nintendogs... See the diffference? The graphics for the psp are astounding for a PORTABLE system. Almost on par w/ early ps2 graphics. (Remember Eternal Ring any1?)

2)"a lack of hit games." Hmmmm... Valkyrie Profile, Syphon Filter, Daxter, Lumines, Socom... Just to name a few.... Sry they aren't baby games like "Nintendogs" aka Pet Simulator for ppl w/o a life, or stupid

3) "its poor E3 performances"... Lumines II, Crisis Core, Socom 2, Every Extend Extra (E3), and Loco Roco say differently...

4) "the competition it faces from the formidable DS Lite"... Yea, maybe in Japan. Not in America or Europe.... I see at least 3-5 ppl on my way to work w/ psp earbuds and the psp everyday... I see 1 crying little brat kid w/ a DS....

5) "The PSP was $100 dollars more than the DS and $170 dollars more than a GBA." Can the DS play MP3's, Videos, Web browse, listen to RSS feeds, dl PS1 games, and look at photos out of the box. I think not. And while we're at it, lets compare emulators/ homebrew.... Right, the DS can't emulate N64 games or PS1 games, or Gamecube games (a trailer was released earlier today... unfortunately its slower than a snail stuck to the ground with super glue...)

1) Great, so all the development costs are going to the graphics rather then the game? Fantastic [/sarcasm]

2) The DS has a good selection of hit games as well. You don't just base the entrie system on one game.

3) No arguement.

4) See my previous reply.

5) Personally I rather buy a games console for games strangely enough. My GP2X does the rest.

stotheamuel
July 18th, 2006, 20:37
you know what i heard therye making a DS EMULATOR HAHAHAHAHAA HILARIOUS HUH TAKE THAT DS! MUAHHAHAHAHH PIECE OF GRAINY CRAP!

there will never be a ds emu on psp

and i agree with yaustar... it might (thats a might) stop selling and making games... but it will never die because of homebrew

Dave the Rave
July 18th, 2006, 20:37
The article is in relation to PSP as a commercial success. To gauge the commercial success of the PSP, one only has to look at how many special offers there are around at every retailer; free games when you buy a VALUE pack etc. And talking about homebrew in relation to the article is nonsensical; new users CAN'T run homebrew. The availability of homebrew is hardly going to encourage developers to create better games, only PSP sales will do that. If customers stop buying PSP's, the games will dry up.

The PSP is a fantastic piece of hardware, with a touch screen (for text input) it would have been near perfect. To me. PSP & DS are both flawed, each could benefit from a feature the other has.

Now that someone has sussed out how to use WiFi within homebrew, there are some interesting apps starting to appear. The DS homebrew scene is on the verge of take-off.

yaustar
July 18th, 2006, 20:39
The article is in relation to PSP as a commercial success. To gauge the commercial success of the PSP, one only has to look at how many special offers there are around at every retailer; free games when you buy a VALUE pack etc. And talking about homebrew in relation to the article is nonsensical; new users CAN'T run homebrew. The availability of homebrew is hardly going to encourage developers to create better games, only PSP sales will do that. If customers stop buying PSP's, the games will dry up.

The PSP is a fantastic piece of hardware, with a touch screen (for text input) it would have been near perfect. To me. PSP & DS are both flawed, each could benefit from a feature the other has.

Now that someone has sussed out how to use WiFi within homebrew, there are some interesting apps starting to appear. The DS homebrew scene is on the verge of take-off.
At last, some sanity in this thread.

stotheamuel
July 18th, 2006, 20:41
Right, the DS can't emulate N64 games or PS1 games, or Gamecube games (a trailer was released earlier today... unfortunately its slower than a snail stuck to the ground with super glue...)

hmm thats gotta be fake...:p

QueadlunnRau
July 18th, 2006, 20:43
The article has some points ... but has no clue about the homebrew scene.

If the PSP did not have such a strong home brew scene I would not have kept mine as many of the games I like on it were already ported to other consoles.

I adore my PSP thanx to all the hard work done in the DCEMU scene, all of you coders/moder/haxors make my PSP a must have everywhere I go.

Voltron
July 18th, 2006, 20:48
My main gripe with the PSP is that it doesn't have the pick up and play attitude that should be with handhelds.

That is a very good point. It does indeed lack that. Sleep mode helps but it still takes a little to load up and the load times when using UMD games is really annoying.

I also believe developers should focus LESS on the PS2 and more on the PSP. The PSP is obviously capable of NEAR PS2 quality. I'm left in awe and discouraged when I see games like The Hustle, The con, Street Supremacy, and many others. Why the hell was money invested on these kind of games. Some games are just horrible. The PSP is perfect for RPG's but yet we have yet to be BLOWN AWAY by an RPG for the PSP. Brave Story in Japan is great. Finally Valkyrie Profile Lenneth is out in the states, but there is definitely a longing for more quality RPG's.

STOP WASTING MONEY ON CRAPPY GAMES SONY! Bring us more original quality stuff like Field Commander, Loco Roco, etc.

Ennohex
July 18th, 2006, 20:51
Sounds a little too negative for a portable console. How long did it ake for nintendo to reach it's place in the handheld market again? The PSP has at least a 10year lifespan, Sony won't let it die without a fight... I hope :(

dagger89
July 18th, 2006, 20:54
hmm thats gotta be fake...:p

yea... just saw the vid again and the author posted new comments... seems he was trying to play a joke on maxconsole....

slayer2psp
July 18th, 2006, 20:58
first off ther are way better games on the psp
fight night
socom
gta lcs
gta vcs coming
mlb 06 the show
pro race driver 2006
tomb raider
ncaa football 2007
blade dancer
field commander
nba ballers
syphon filter
tekken is real good
mx vs atv
mtx mototrak
outrun
cars: next to the ds this one is a million times better
no good games my ass thats just a few that i like to play the ds got nothing on the psp
i have a ds lite and ive played all the game ther is only a handful that i like to play the psp has the games i like. so who cares what this guy thinks the psp isnt going anywere anytime soon. if your not a fanboy you have a open mind and enjoy all game systems

F9zDark
July 18th, 2006, 21:05
This article is ridiculous. Had the writer even delved into the homebrew scene, he/she would have realized that the PSP is far superior to any of the handhelds out there now.

And with a slew of features coming down the pipe from Sony, I doubt that this console is 'dead' or even 'dying'.

When PS3 comes out, I gurantee that the PSP will see a huge increase in sales.

flyer
July 18th, 2006, 21:14
the psp cant die becuase of the DS cheap games psp for life

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

deftonesmx17
July 18th, 2006, 21:18
Lets not start a DS fanboy vs PSP fanboy war, but lets face it, the DS is sold to more people for simple reasons.

A woman will feel more inclined to buy a DS than a PSP since they normally would prefer "colorful" games.(before I offend any women on these forums, I only say this because every woman that has ever played my PSP just wants to play "colorful" NES or SNES games)

A younger person would buy a DS over a PSP for the same reason as women, plus most younger people are more impatient and will have trouble waiting for a disc based game to laod. Then you also have income. These younger people probably only work part-time or don't have a well paying career.

A parent buying their child a portable is more often than not going to go for the cheaper one, which would be the DS. Heck, I even thought about buying a DS just because it was cheaper when I really wanted a PSP.(Got the PSP though and couldnt be happier :))

Anybody who hates on $ony is not going to buy a PSP if they want a portable (unless they are an extreme graphics-whore) and its not like they have many other options besides Nintendo.

So who buys the PSP over the DS? Homebrew junkies, graphics-whores, tech-buffs, people who want "PS2" games on the go, etc. The problem, these type of people do not add up like the mainstream people that buy the DS.

fnx
July 18th, 2006, 21:20
I think that interest in PSP will drop for now (except for homebrew community ;) but who knows what kind of connectivity features Sony is planning for PS3/PSP.

But even if PSP "fails" and Sony'll stop supporting it, I think that homebrew community will continue to hack the PSP until there's nothing else to be done :D

yamaneko
July 18th, 2006, 21:27
ok, next.

jwilds73
July 18th, 2006, 21:32
I am still holding out and hoping for a umd drive addon for the ps3. If I can play my psp games at home on my tv and then turn around and sync my save to my psp and take the game with me again I am sold on a ps3. If there is no umd play on the ps3 then I will simply wait for a price drop of atleast $200. That is if I don't get bored first and buy a wii.

Rorin
July 18th, 2006, 21:32
this article is total bullshit. Just because UMD games and movies for the psp arnt selling very well doesnt mean its dead. I have 3 games and 1 umd movie for the psp that i bought i honestly dont play. I could care less about them. I got my psp for the 525 SNES games that are currently on it. And my friends and family have done similiar with thiers. So go cram a ds lite (it is small after all) up your arse.

yaustar
July 18th, 2006, 21:39
this article is total bullshit. Just because UMD games and movies for the psp arnt selling very well doesnt mean its dead. I have 3 games and 1 umd movie for the psp that i bought i honestly dont play. I could care less about them. I got my psp for the 525 SNES games that are currently on it. And my friends and family have done similiar with thiers. So go cram a ds lite (it is small after all) up your arse.
You have just proven the articles point. It is COMMERCIALLY dead.

Sounds a little too negative for a portable console. How long did it ake for nintendo to reach it's place in the handheld market again? The PSP has at least a 10year lifespan, Sony won't let it die without a fight... I hope :(
The Game and Watch pre 1980s.

Tetris999
July 18th, 2006, 21:40
(oh no its stothamuel again uggggh can we just put the past behind us sheesh)

yeah anyway i got psp for homebrew nuff said if it didnt have homebrew i wud have a ds lite or maybe i wud have a psp i dunno wtev it does feel like psp is gonna be a dreamcast though dreamcast was good in graphics but died dang hope this doesnt happen to psp

(Ps i think the nintendo ds emulator is bullshit just saying that cuz im angry)

Tetris999
July 18th, 2006, 21:42
Lets not start a DS fanboy vs PSP fanboy war, but lets face it, the DS is sold to more people for simple reasons.

A woman will feel more inclined to buy a DS than a PSP since they normally would prefer "colorful" games.(before I offend any women on these forums, I only say this because every woman that has ever played my PSP just wants to play "colorful" NES or SNES games)

A younger person would buy a DS over a PSP for the same reason as women, plus most younger people are more impatient and will have trouble waiting for a disc based game to laod. Then you also have income. These younger people probably only work part-time or don't have a well paying career.

A parent buying their child a portable is more often than not going to go for the cheaper one, which would be the DS. Heck, I even thought about buying a DS just because it was cheaper when I really wanted a PSP.(Got the PSP though and couldnt be happier :))

Anybody who hates on $ony is not going to buy a PSP if they want a portable (unless they are an extreme graphics-whore) and its not like they have many other options besides Nintendo.

So who buys the PSP over the DS? Homebrew junkies, graphics-whores, tech-buffs, people who want "PS2" games on the go, etc. The problem, these type of people do not add up like the mainstream people that buy the DS.

he may be new but thats words of wisdom for yeh

NoQuarter
July 18th, 2006, 21:44
all the more reason for sony to open up the source and finally give full support to the homebrew community which has really shown the systems power.Instead of half hearted homebrew support-as if they didn't know 1.0 fw ran unsigned code ;)

psman
July 18th, 2006, 21:54
Sony may have failed on sales due to pricing.but succeed in quality the ds has practacally no homebrew meaning ds owners have to buy games that they own already plus new games the psp with homebrew gamers just get more games at a cheaper price having only device to hold multiple games. if sony somehow embrace homebrew to help them (by adding easy exploits there games people would buy more games and update.thats what made me buy gta! and thus get more revenue) sony can easily trample nintendo.

jwilds73
July 18th, 2006, 21:58
all the more reason for sony to open up the source and finally give full support to the homebrew community which has really shown the systems power.Instead of half hearted homebrew support-as if they didn't know 1.0 fw ran unsigned code ;)

Just imagine if G4 or such covered the homebrew scene and showed people all the info they needed to get running classic games on their PSP's Of course it wouldn't tell them where or how to download anything illegally. It would just simply show them they could run so much more then just commercial games with alittle knowledge.

I love reading OPM where they ask developers and such whats on their PSP none have mentioned any homebrew. I can't believe non of them have any homebrew software it's just they fear the backlash of Sony if they showed support for it.

kidloak09
July 18th, 2006, 23:32
I believe this article is saying the truth but you cant compare the power of my sweet psp to a DS.

NeoXCS
July 18th, 2006, 23:37
The PSP may not have the games right now to give it all the power it needs to strive but there are a lot of games on the way that will make the PSP soar. I can't wait for GTA or Silent Hill! It wont die, although UMD movies are. :p My PSP will survive! :D

Dave the Rave
July 19th, 2006, 00:06
I got my psp for the 525 SNES games that are currently on it. And my friends and family have done similiar with thiers. So go cram a ds lite (it is small after all) up your arse.
There's a SNES emulator for DS.

The_It
July 19th, 2006, 00:09
why not combine the good things about the psp and ds and make PSPDS!

The_It
July 19th, 2006, 00:10

I bet it would look like crap because the screen has such a crappy resolution and limited colors.

Basil Zero
July 19th, 2006, 00:21
bet a NINTENDO fanboy must of written it

acn010
July 19th, 2006, 00:35
i think the psp is gonna be a homebrew machine now. if this happends

nyrtrublue
July 19th, 2006, 00:37
did anyone think that the article was written by a nintendo exec

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2006, 00:38
I would say its already failed. The machine has no where really to go but down... I find Sony to be a little bit patronizing actually. The psp seems to be a scam.. OMG BUY OUR SUPER GOOD GRAPHIC GAMES (graphics dont make a game) AND OUR SUPER DUPER WEB BROWSER! (limited everything... buy a laptop jackass) PLUS OUR AWSOME MOVIE UMD'S! (over priced monkey turds... Why not watch a DVD so everyone around you can watch too...)

PSP is, in my books, a homebrew platform... as far as comerical games and products go though... its a piece of shit.

The DS on the otherhand is not quite as much of a homebrew machine as the GBA, but its got some cool things going for it... and Many of its commericial releases are quite stunning. Nintendo wins again.

While home made games and emulators make for a good time, they dont sell a system. Doing a shitty job in sales is whats causing sony to fail.

BrooksyX
July 19th, 2006, 00:40
Honestly, unless the psp starts getting some great titles that every psp owner must have (like a halo or smash bros.), I think the psp will become commercially dead within a year or two. But i still believe that homebrew scene will continue to grow and thrive for years to come because the psp is just such a great platform for it.

Although we havnt seen the official ps1 emu and it is just around the corner. It could be the big push that sony needs to gain some ground in the handheld war.

metalspector
July 19th, 2006, 00:41
Well unlike most of you , I really think psps is dying , I mean how many times you see someone buying a psps game in a gam retail , very rarely , how any tines you see people buying DS crap , everytime you visit a reatil gaming store , and I don't think it's because of games or developing cost that psp is dying , it's because it doesn;t have the word gameboy on its name and it costs more and parent are likely to buy the cheapest stuff.

stotheamuel
July 19th, 2006, 00:43
I think the psp could start going uphill with...
5 or 6 dollar umd movies

ps3 hook up

ps1 emu

(non security updates.... don't we wish :P)

cheaper games (40 dollar new releases)

the camera to work well in games..

and the gps to work sufficiently

and finally a revamped web broswer with better functions

not too many problems huh? :rolls eyes:

remansano
July 19th, 2006, 00:49
Well I'm sure PSP won't die so fast...
It will probably have an "industrial game shortage" (because of the ISOs and the cost of the game production) but it has such an amazing portable hardware (probably the reason of the biggest homebrew scene ever) that home developers hopefully won't stop developing for it

I really don't give a damn about PSP games... I bought it just because of the homebrews!! So, Sony can even ruin coz I'm still using the PSP and waiting for the next release of the N64 Emu (or just using the Genesis and Snes emus and irshell)

tophead420
July 19th, 2006, 01:42
lol the psp dying i beg to differ look at the xbox 360 on these sale reports theyer on selling 1000 or so while the psp sold 25000 or so and the reason people say this bullshiz is they are h8ers they just cant stand the fact that sony in my mind has the greatest hand held ever made thet are ahead of their time and way ahead of nintendo whos handheld has the grafix i believe of an n64 so you see and the only reason people buy the ds over the psp is simply the price and if the price would drop the sells of the psp would probably sky rocket plus i believe the psp is the superior handheld becuz it plays movies , umd games, homebrew, music has net access and it has that ooo so lovly 4.3 inch screen which you got to admit make it alot easir to play

NoQuarter
July 19th, 2006, 02:23
comercially it may be over but I had two friends yesterday who bought psps just for homebrew.I definitly agree with one time user. cmon sony wise up- and give us linux

psp411
July 19th, 2006, 02:31
o.O... well tahts ok... im looking forward to the pricedrops for the psp because i wanna own 3 of the... currently i have one adn im too poor to afford any more. anyways i think the articles right because even though psp has amazing graphics, multimedia abilities, and uses the worlds leaders in screeens plastics, ect( too amazing =P) its a burn in any1s pocket( unless ur rich). you can easily go and buy an mp4 player and a nintendo ds lite for less than u can buy a psp. also, teh games are overpriced. that is why pyriting occures. people cannot afford the system and the game all at the same time so thus, they pyrite ( but i can lol... i buy games b4 i buy the console =P... been doin it since super nintendo dayzz... that was the life=D)for nintendo ds, you can go n buy a decent game for under 50 buks an enjoy it juss like any other game. this is why psp will always lose to ds( even tho i hate ds but i luv nintendo products... ie gameboy advanced sp, gamecube, n64 and SNES<---the best---)So i wouldnt be suprised if psp becomes*nonexistant* in store because of those factors.
oo yea... and also, bricking a psp is soo much easier than bricking a ds. breaking a psp is way easier than breaking a ds as ds is built for durability. scratching ur psp is THE WORST THING that could happen to it as supposed to scratching a ds. PSP is meant for people who want evrything in a package and is willing to go the extra step in taking care of it.

haha contrary to wut i said... i like the multimedia stuff but i doint wanbt ma psp stolen... so i want an mp4 and when im ready, ill get a ds so that way i wont be too afraid to losing any of that stuff.

PSPegasus
July 19th, 2006, 03:00
Although I don't agree with what the article is saying, there is an element of truth to it. Sony is actually killing their own console by trying to block homebrew. Frankly I don't think I would have ever bought a PSP if it weren't for the homebrew. The only really good commerical game out at the moment is GTA, which is on PS2 now anyway and will likely go to PC in the near future. That isn't to say that some of the other games available are bad, but they don't have that lasting quality that LCS has. And as for UMD movies, they are a total waste of money. If the price was cut in half, maybe they'd be more worth it. But it is certainly not worth paying the same price as a DVD for one, especially when you can just rip the DVD and put it on your Memory Stick.
As far as the PSP dying I'd say just one look at this and other homebrew sites disproves that. I doubt that the writer of the article actually researched the homebrew scene before he came up with those claims.

psp411
July 19th, 2006, 03:26
This article is ridiculous. Had the writer even delved into the homebrew scene, he/she would have realized that the PSP is far superior to any of the handhelds out there now.

And with a slew of features coming down the pipe from Sony, I doubt that this console is 'dead' or even 'dying'.

When PS3 comes out, I gurantee that the PSP will see a huge increase in sales.

The thing is about that, sony doesnt support teh homebrew scene for psp thinking hteyre gonna " make more $" if they close off that gate for this sexy handheld device. PSP owns the homebrew world yes, but if sony is trying its best to kill that link, it will thus then be weaker to ds( even tho i hate to admit it.) also, onetimeuser is right also. your better off buying a win98 labtop than having a psp. theyre both the same price and u can do way more on a labtop than psp anyday. even tho psp is more portable, teh things u can do with a labtop is unreachable to a psp.

back to ds and psp

ds is more portable than psp
ds is about the same size as psp but the new portable lite is 20% smaller than psp

the games for psp are big and easy to break( my friend already broke 2 of them nad i have 5:mad: so now they have to be custom fixed by me with sum krazy glue) while the ds games r small and portable(about the size of 2 of our memory sticks duos) which is convienient

Ds uses less $ than psp
ds is $149+tax last time i checked
Psp is $225 for the BASIC YES VERY BASIC(no demo disc, no headphone or remote kit, no felt case and no cleaning cloth)
the most expensive ds game ive ever seen was $59.99 which is rare while the most expensive psp game ive seen is $69.99 which u all who buy games for ur most favourite system is a pretty common price for a psp game= me poor after a chek... forget the game i need sum cash for clothes n bus tickets 4 skool

Yes, a psp is less attractive to these groups of people than they are to the other. Dont get me wrong but i also have girls asking me to play mario instead of playing midnight club 3: dub edition, or nba live 06. as quoted, ladies seem to like more colourful " cutened up"( lol not a real word but u get teh point) games than a harcore racing game where u pinp ur ride or a hardcore mobster action game like GTA(good thing ive got snes in homebrew. for all the girls who like that platform. i personally do too lol). This one game would also steer litlle kids away from psp for its too violent for them. Also, ive seen way more 10 yr old kids with ds than with a psp come to think of it.

Durability nature
PSP is too difficult to take care of so that it does have a proper value when you go to trade it in. even 5 scratches on your psp's silk screen would take off at least $30 from the trade-in price. FOr ds now, you can get alot of tiny scratches and it wouldnt matter too much. probably -$5 for that case.

Well in that case lets go to where psp is kore superior than evry other handheld.

better graphics
hahaha psp KIKS EVRY OTHER HANDHELD'S GRAPHICS ANYWHERE!!! ds, that is one of your downfalls

Multimedia ability
PSP has multimedia functions which ds doesnt originally have. Even though psp has a crappy video encodement( avc adn mp4 sux ass) it still plays videos while ds doesnt support that( b4 u flip out and say yes they do, they have the tv gba gamepacks, those dont count. you cant select whether to watch that or play a game or listen to music now can u?)

Game quality
as i siad b4 psp game quality is very good for a handheld. reminds me of the time when gameboy came out and hten a few years later, gamegear came out. gamegear had better graphics and better game quality. the same goes for psp and ds. the only downfall here is that ds has way more " fun games" than psp does. psp just looks at the graphics of teh games while ds looks at the gameplay of the game. which one do you prefer? i rather both so i have a gamecube=P

All in all ds will take over psp no matter what adn even if ps3 does come hout, psp will be soo boring because no1 during that time will be able to have full honmebrew capabilities as the 1.5ers have now that youll buy it to be an extra controller with a screen for the ps3 HAHAAHAH. oh well. psp i still love u but ur future look grim...

Mr. Shizzy
July 19th, 2006, 06:46
That article don't scare me. The PSP will eventually die off as a commercially supported system (as all consoles do). But I really didn't buy it for commercial use.

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2006, 06:56
lol the psp dying i beg to differ look at the xbox 360 on these sale reports theyer on selling 1000 or so while the psp sold 25000 or so and the reason people say this bullshiz is they are h8ers they just cant stand the fact that sony in my mind has the greatest hand held ever made thet are ahead of their time and way ahead of nintendo whos handheld has the grafix i believe of an n64 so you see and the only reason people buy the ds over the psp is simply the price and if the price would drop the sells of the psp would probably sky rocket plus i believe the psp is the superior handheld becuz it plays movies , umd games, homebrew, music has net access and it has that ooo so lovly 4.3 inch screen which you got to admit make it alot easir to play

a number of things is wrong with your logic here, but one I really want to point out is... SONY LOOSES MONEY EVERYTIME THEY SELL A CONSOLE! While nintendo may very well be ahead because of its more resonable price IT WILL ALWAYS OUTSELL THE PSP because the PSP hardware actually costs more to produce and ship than what you pay for in the store. Nintendo perhapes has the same delima, but they actually sell good games that people purchase.

No doubt the PSP is indeed a superior peice of hardware when compared to the DS, but cool points dosnt earn you green.

Please everyone, keep in mind the faliure of sony has nothing to do with how much you like the system. Sony is failing because of their inability to create a cheap, practical usage for a handheld system. It seems even the devkits are too expensive and as no one seems to give a shit about purchasing UMD games, why should the developers concider it? Its much cheaper, and apparently easier to continue developing for the PS2, Xbox, GC, and even the X360... not to mention that could just develop games on the DS with a higher sales and success rate... Sony failes at portable period.

Dave the Rave
July 19th, 2006, 08:12
Originally Posted by Dave the Rave

I bet it would look like crap because the screen has such a crappy resolution and limited colors.

What, like a TV set?

under_0ath777
July 19th, 2006, 08:51
psp is dead, we rezed it

mr_nick666
July 19th, 2006, 08:57
a number of things is wrong with your logic here, but one I really want to point out is... SONY LOOSES MONEY EVERYTIME THEY SELL A CONSOLE! While nintendo may very well be ahead because of its more resonable price IT WILL ALWAYS OUTSELL THE PSP because the PSP hardware actually costs more to produce and ship than what you pay for in the store. Nintendo perhapes has the same delima, but they actually sell good games that people purchase.

No doubt the PSP is indeed a superior peice of hardware when compared to the DS, but cool points dosnt earn you green.

Please everyone, keep in mind the faliure of sony has nothing to do with how much you like the system. Sony is failing because of their inability to create a cheap, practical usage for a handheld system. It seems even the devkits are too expensive and as no one seems to give a shit about purchasing UMD games, why should the developers concider it? Its much cheaper, and apparently easier to continue developing for the PS2, Xbox, GC, and even the X360... not to mention that could just develop games on the DS with a higher sales and success rate... Sony failes at portable period.

Poor $ony :( At least homebrew will keep their little handheld alive! :D

R4mbo
July 19th, 2006, 12:26
There had been some Problems with the PSP.

The UMD Movies sucked and had been a big mistake of Sony. I dont know much about the Memorystick option, but i think i wont use both. I look my Videos on DvD. The only reason why i could buy Videos for PSP would be if you could connect the PSP to a Television (SCART Cable or stuff) like using the PSP as Video Player. I also dont thing the Nintendo will cause really Problems to Sony. I cant await High Quality releases on PSP like the PS1 Emu (even if I maybe wont buy/use it, just am interested) or Final Fantasy.

Go Nuts Article

b8a
July 19th, 2006, 12:54
What melodrama. (Many of) The exact same points could be made for the 360, and yet no ones counting that out yet.

The DS is the right level of technology at the right time. Sony has never released a console with "right now" in mind. They aim for (at least) a ten year life span, and let them gradually build momentum. As many people have pointed out, things are just starting to look good for the software lineup, and it's only going to get better over the next year or two. It's going to be interesting to see what next iteration of GB/DS Nintendo comes up with because when the PSP software quality peaks, all the DS will have going for it is the fact that it's cheap. And when Sony starts releasing value priced titles, that won't even be much of a factor.

I don't know what companies are saying that the devkit is too expensive. At around $5000 US, it's not only cheaper than most programmer's monthly salaries, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a lot of 3D packages and other "nessecary" development tools. I've never priced other devkits, but it certainly sounds like a bargain to me.

It's WAY too early to call this system dead. End of story.

shadowprophet
July 19th, 2006, 16:24
I just woke up, So if im not making since, deal with it people.

But heres my official opinion on this.
To all those people, That would rather see the psp dead, because there some sort of backward twisted ds fan boy. Either go pick up a psp and play it before you form an opinion, or go fornicate yourselves with a sharp wooden stick. I've got a ds lite and I've got a psp. While it true the ds lite is alluring and i love it almost equally to the psp, a lot of people feel the dslite may steal the psp's thunder.

I don't see it that way, What I see is a new ds that completely 1up's the original ds in every way., and yes its good, but after I got over the original shock of owning a dslite, I found myself going back to the psp, for devhook and firmware tweaks and basically most of my handheld needs, Yes the dslite is much much better then the ds phattie with leaps and bounds.

But those leaps and bounds are not reflected on the lite v.s the psp war. The dslite is still less powerful then the psp, those beautiful screens on the dslite?, Well the psp has a screen that is just as beautiful and much larger..

To make a long story short, In every consoles life span,, provided that console doesn't own the no.1 spot your going to hear rumors of its death,, not to mention the very nature of this main article was written based on opinion, can people not see that ? in the competitive market share world opinion doesn't amount to jack, facts and figures do..This is just some scare that has been released by a nintendo fan boy, hell we don't even know what nintendo isn't behind it themselves lol :P

Lets get with the real program for a second, how many times have you seen a console system fail?
sure the virtual boy flopped, but that was a damn bad idea to begin with, and the dreamcast flopped commercially. But sega was going out of the console business at that time.

The truth is, console failures, (True failures) are rare, The sega saturn, the n64, Those systems where not failures, This all reminds me of the game gear days. Hell the game gear had the game boy beat in every way, But the game boy still won the race, But did that make the game gear not worth owning? NO the gamegear became a beloved classic.

Its not over for the psp, Not by a long shot, And ill be here this time next year arguing with psp haters about the same damn thing, still laughing at how blind to the fact's they are ,lol,Because the psp is here to stay
:rolleyes:

mr_nick666
July 19th, 2006, 16:34
I just woke up, So if im not making since, deal with it people.

But heres my official opinion on this.
To all those people, That would rather see the psp dead, because there some sort of backward twisted ds fan boy. Either go pick up a psp and play it before you form an opinion, or go fornicate yourselves with a sharp wooden stick. I've got a ds lite and I've got a psp. While it true the ds lite is alluring and i love it almost equally to the psp, a lot of people feel the dslite may steal the psp's thunder.

I don't see it that way, What I see is a new ds that completely 1up's the original ds in every way., and yes its good, but after I got over the original shock of owning a dslite, I found myself going back to the psp, for devhook and firmware tweaks and basically most of my handheld needs, Yes the dslite is much much better then the ds phattie with leaps and bounds.

But those leaps and bounds are not reflected on the lite v.s the psp war. The dslite is still less powerful then the psp, those beautiful screens on the dslite?, Well the psp has a screen that is just as beautiful and much larger..

To make a long story short, In every consoles life span,, provided that console doesn't own the no.1 spot your going to hear rumors of its death,, not to mention the very nature of this main article was written based on opinion, can people not see that ? in the competitive market share world opinion doesn't amount to jack, facts and figures do..This is just some scare that has been released by a nintendo fan boy, hell we don't even know what nintendo isn't behind it themselves lol :P

Lets get with the real program for a second, how many times have you seen a console system fail?
sure the virtual boy flopped, but that was a damn bad idea to begin with, and the dreamcast flopped commercially. But sega was going out of the console business at that time.

The truth is, console failures, (True failures) are rare, The sega saturn, the n64, Those systems where not failures, This all reminds me of the game gear days. Hell the game gear had the game boy beat in every way, But the game boy still won the race, But did that make the game gear not worth owning? NO the gamegear became a beloved classic.

Its not over for the psp, Not by a long shot, And ill be here this time next year arguing with psp haters about the same damn thing, still laughing at how blind to the fact's they are ,lol,Because the psp is here to stay
:rolleyes:

I think thats the end of this discussion then! :D Nicely summed up in a Shadow Prophet rant! ;)

horacehogarth
July 19th, 2006, 17:24
Laughable article.. yes they're right in some respects, but the PSP a failure? No chance, it's still selling very very well. We all knew UMDs movies were a bad idea but as a portable multi media machine it's great and it's potential is only just being explored.

A rumoured price drop would really catapult sales, though 20-30k sold a week in Japan is still mighty impressive. It may not be selling as well as the DS Lite but being second in the handheld market is still a very lucrative place to be.

Zack3008
July 19th, 2006, 17:49
I'd think anyone should be able to pay that price for basically a portable PS2, they probably were paid thousands to write that article for Nintendo.

BL4Z3D247
July 19th, 2006, 17:59
LMFAO @ SP :D dude u are the rant master haha, and as for this article the guy was smokin crystal meth when he wrote this cuz there is no way i'd rather have a DS than a PSP, i love my homebrew and favorite childhood consoles "to go" on a fairly big screen(well for a portable console) i couldn't ask for anything more

neoxalucard
July 19th, 2006, 18:06
I think the PSP is a great system, and the best and almost only place for homebrew on the go. But don't close your ears to this people. I read an article just like this about the DC after a PSO game. Just a month later Sega released an official announcement. And what scares me is, as much as i hate to admit it a lot of stuff in that GW article is true. :eek:

deftonesmx17
July 19th, 2006, 18:47
I think the GameGear losing to the gameboy had something to do with the fact that it took 6 AA batteries and still went dead after less than 3 hours........:)

Cap'n 1time
July 19th, 2006, 21:09
@ SP & b8a, A system being dead and a system being a failure is two different things. For instance, the Dreamcast is dead but it isnt a failure. The Xbox in Japan was a failure. The 3DO was however a failure. It can be argued that the Neogeo AES was a failure. Take homebrew and emulation out of the picture. This leaves only commercial releases on the field. What you have behind is the begginings of a failure.

I agree with b8a that it's too early to tell if the system is dead or not, but currently it is a failure and I forsee no possible way for sony to pull themselves out of the hole. Now perhapes I just hate Final Fantasy and most of the "remakes" that Sony has companies pull out of their asses, and maybe I'm just a big biased on the issue of sony... but it is my opinion that Sony has failed at the handheld market and though It is likely they will attempt a handheld again in the next generation, I think the PSP will leave a perminant scar on their skin. And Homebrew is cool, but It dosnt make sony any money.

@ deftonesmx17 I WISH my GG got 3 hours.. I think I got 1 hour tops on 6 AA batteries. :)

NoQuarter
July 19th, 2006, 21:43
I personally traded in my ds for a psp as soon as I saw the screen before the psp was released in America.I didn't have any idea about homebrew at that time all I could think was there will be Tekken on this system one day.I really love nintendo and all thier products and especially their big franchises and would consider even buying another ds,I mean new super mario is great.Really sony screwed up with the proprietary umd format which honestly really SUCKS !!!Good job with memstick and not to bad marketing since 8gb memsticks were already developed at the time of the psps release.Too bad most of sonys money comes from licensing fees for game development.Oh yeah virtual boy now that was a failure

Accordion
July 19th, 2006, 22:00
even if it dies commercially, well be left with an ongoing homebrew seen, and a fully functional N64 and PSone emulator, to be honest i would have been happy if the psp had been nopthing more than a portable psone and nothing else

shadowprophet
July 19th, 2006, 22:19
@ SP & b8a, A system being dead and a system being a failure is two different things. For instance, the Dreamcast is dead but it isnt a failure. The Xbox in Japan was a failure. The 3DO was however a failure. It can be argued that the Neogeo AES was a failure. Take homebrew and emulation out of the picture. This leaves only commercial releases on the field. What you have behind is the begginings of a failure.

I agree with b8a that it's too early to tell if the system is dead or not, but currently it is a failure and I forsee no possible way for sony to pull themselves out of the hole. Now perhapes I just hate Final Fantasy and most of the "remakes" that Sony has companies pull out of their asses, and maybe I'm just a big biased on the issue of sony... but it is my opinion that Sony has failed at the handheld market and though It is likely they will attempt a handheld again in the next generation, I think the PSP will leave a perminant scar on their skin. And Homebrew is cool, but It dosnt make sony any money.

@ deftonesmx17 I WISH my GG got 3 hours.. I think I got 1 hour tops on 6 AA batteries. :)
1-X Bro, Your my bro,So dont take it personaly,lol
But I have a point to get across with this :cool:

You know and I know the 3do filed when pioneer went out of the console business. price and lack if third party support killed the 3do and pioneer went out of the console business all together.
Its always the the death of a console when the company goes out of the business,
What true failure has ever came outside of the virtual boy, From a company that never went out of the console business?

Neo geo ? Snk went out of the console business.

Dreamcast? you know the story,

3do, pioneer went out...
Sony isn't about to go out of business any time soon, And believe me, those personal financial losses on Sony's part per psp system, sony wouldn't take the risk if they didn't think the psp was worth it, Know that the ds cant do the stunning 3d that the psp can do, and why ? well because its working with a little under half the power of the psp. lol and this will show later on, Sure the ds is grabbing a lot of attention these days, But seriously lets go with the ds market for a second shall we, ?
While there are a few more ds releases that demand attention, then umd releases the ds has been out quite a bit longer, These doom and gloom predictions for the psp are completely unfounded rubbish , based entirely on the fact of the umd movie market crash lol, The umd movie market was doomed to fail. people keep missing that point, Portable and movies just doesn't work, this has been proven with constantly low market sales of Portable dvd players, Movies are cherished glorious past time spanning multiple cultures. The very deep rooted idea of movies bring about fond memories of going to vast theaters and seeing your favorite flicks on larger the life screens, and if not that, then the comfortable surrounding of your home with friends, But little tiny screens and movies don't mix its just part of our culture to want to see movies on large lush screens,

The umd movie market was a fad market carried only on the hype of the popularity of the psp, and speaking of that popularity. How amazing that the small psp in all its doomed and gloomed predictions shook of the movie industry in such ways as it did, What people need to understand, is that the umd movie market is not the umd game market, and just because the movie aspect of things is looking grim, doesn't mean the psp is looking grim,
I mean come on stay with me just for a micro second people,
The two main points the the main article was trying to get across was the popularity of the dslite, (a brand spanking new release might I remind you ) and the fail of the umd movie market, How does this reflect the psp console itself, ? The fact is, anything new and nintendo is going to sell like hotcakes in japan for the first six months, Im telling you guys give the dslite hype time to wear down, and you will see where the true market stands lol, people get all caught up in the moment and like to join bandwagons, And the most fascinating part of al of this is, The fact's and figures don't support these claims, in fact in the last several months psp sales have sky rocketed, lol that doesn't sound like a failure to me lol , Oh well you guys sort this out lol, You know where ol SP stands on the issue,... (Somewhere in reality) lol:p

Accordion
July 19th, 2006, 23:18
i still find it amazing that nintendo gets away with re releasing the same handheld over and over again.
two game boys
only one GBC
3 advances
and now two DSsssss(haha)
and people still buy every one
apart form the micro and DS ive had all the previous versions aswell, and a afterburner advance, so that is now 4 releases of GBA. incredible.

ACID
July 19th, 2006, 23:20
Home brew despite sony hatting it will keep sells going for there PSP.

horacehogarth
July 20th, 2006, 17:11
The logic of some people is just baffling, with around 15m units sold and strong sales every week the PSP is NOT a failure. UMD movies are definitely a failure though and they were a ridiculous idea from the start, priced cheaply they would have done much better. As a first attempt at a handheld it's done bloody well, going neck and neck with Nintendo on handheld sales in one hell of an achievement.

Sony will be watching MS closely to see what their handheld can do.. while working on the PSP2. Nintendo have the most to fear, with the PSP and portable XBox coming along the handheld market is about to get crowded.

motormaniac
July 20th, 2006, 19:40
Thats stupid, in a year the psp and ps3 will be the best and most popular consoles out there

Accordion
July 20th, 2006, 21:01
?
you can see the future?

yaustar
July 20th, 2006, 22:18
Thats stupid, in a year the psp and ps3 will be the best and most popular consoles out there
Oh really ? http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/05/poll-results-reevaluated-next-gen-combo-platters/