PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus R6 Released - Nintendo64 Emulator for the PSP

BrooksyX
July 19th, 2006, 01:05
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6369/mario64works6fi.jpg

StrmnNrmn (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/) posted this news/release of his Nintendo64 emulator for the PSP.

I've got to keep this short as blogger.com is going down in 5 minutes :(

Change log:

[+] Added over 50 new combiner modes
[+] Added support for c-buttons
[+] Load roms from ms0:\N64 in addition to local roms directory
[!] Fixed backface culling issues
[!] Correctly implemented flipping to avoid flickering with certain roms
[!] Plugged memory leak in texture handling code, fixing various crashes
[!] Fixed issue which caused screenshot function to hang the emulator

For R6 I've mostly been focusing on fixing a number of graphical issues (namely adding combiner modes to popular roms). I've also managed to add a couple of nice usability improvements (in particular mapping the c buttons to the dpad, using the circle button to toggle back to the n64 dpad). I've also been able to track down a couple of bugs that affected stability.

I've still not decided what to concentrate my attention on for R7. The main areas are:

* Speed

* Compatibility

* Graphics

* Usability

These are all quite broad areas, but it would be good to get a feeling for what people are most interested in seeing improved. Any comments would be most appreciated.

-StrmnNrmn

* I should point out that I had dozens of people suggest this to me via email and through comments on this blog, so I can't take any credit for this idea :)

Download and Give Feedback via Comments

Check out our Daedalus Compatibility List (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23616)

stotheamuel
July 19th, 2006, 01:08
IM FIRST :rolleyes:
wonderful thanks

tsurumaru
July 19th, 2006, 01:09
LOL sorry Bigmace we must have posted at almost the same time!

Cooe14
July 19th, 2006, 01:15
Does this contain both a 1.0 and 1.5 version.

BrooksyX
July 19th, 2006, 01:16
now it does.

LAMPRO
July 19th, 2006, 01:18
and boom... the explosion begins!!!!

LAMPRO
July 19th, 2006, 01:18
man this site is about to get swamped with hits..

BrooksyX
July 19th, 2006, 01:20
wow this versions seems to run alot faster and smoother, it doesnt say i am getting faster frame rates but it sure feels like it on mario.

LAMPRO
July 19th, 2006, 01:21
nice=

as soon as evryone has some roms loaded, report back with comments/issues..

strmmnrmmn needs user feedback for r7 updates...

Kaiser
Moved to news forum :)

Zion
Awesome :D Great work StrmnNrmn

emuking
July 19th, 2006, 01:27
awesome im going to try it right away

Sharkey
July 19th, 2006, 01:29
* I should point out that I had dozens of people suggest this to me via email and through comments on this blog, so I can't take any credit for this idea :)

Lol. Yeah, people love to point out the obvious and then say/think they thought of it first. :rolleyes:

I just downloaded my copy, looking forward to testing some games. Thanks for all of your hard work Norm. Good luck with R7. :)

Load roms from ms0:\N64 in addition to local roms directory
That would be nice if Monkey was still updating his. Has he given up?

mameuser
July 19th, 2006, 01:33
Wow, speedwise the same but it smoother than before alot

danknugz
July 19th, 2006, 01:34
it would be sweet if i could load the roms by usb..... trying out now, takes forever to move them over

csd-san
July 19th, 2006, 01:38
Downloading now, feedback shall come~

skater9269
July 19th, 2006, 01:39
i load mine from wifi

sroon
July 19th, 2006, 01:41
Harvest Moon works!!!!
And good!!!

mameuser
July 19th, 2006, 01:41
Mario Kart crash after a short play

drew4237
July 19th, 2006, 01:47
wow this versions seems to run alot faster and smoother, it doesnt say i am getting faster frame rates but it sure feels like it on mario.
what r u settings when u run mario

kayhanbakid
July 19th, 2006, 01:48
Thanks for all your hard work. It really is amazing what you've done so far.

For upcoming releases I would personally like to see an increase in speed. Also Mario Kart was my favorite N64 game so making that work without crashing would be insanely awesome. Also increased compatibility for more games would be great. But I know all of these are enormous tasks. Any improvements are much appreciated.

BrooksyX
July 19th, 2006, 01:50
Harvest Moon works!!!!
And good!!!

finally, this is what i have been waiting for!

Man
July 19th, 2006, 01:51
Is there a way to exit without having to restart my PSP ? everytime i want to exit a ROM i have to resart and it takes a long time, pardon me for being noobish but i cant find anything, other then that this is an awsome release and i hope for more to come!!

Sk8.4.Life
July 19th, 2006, 01:53
Bwahahahah! Second download! (I'm just now posting. >.< after having tried it.) x2 the improvement of R5 with an avg. of about 6.5fps on Super Mario 64 in the first level, compared to the like 3 from R5 with Tesselate Large Tris on and without the Dynamic Compiler on! GJ!... Now to try it with the dynamic compiler on and the other off see the difference...

Is there any possibility of frame skipping perhaps?

Update: With the Dynamic Compiler on and the TLT off, I was getting about 8-9fps area while in the first level and 10-15 outside and inside the castle.

Kvonx
July 19th, 2006, 01:54
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! im not first NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! stupid football practice it made me late an i've bin waitin all day but as soon as im goneit appears..crap :confused: thank u for an excellent work strmnnrm we all r delighted..........jus downloaded:D

BL4Z3D247
July 19th, 2006, 01:54
finally c-buttons!!!!! mario doesn't look that much faster than R5 but strmnnrmn worked on the grafical stuff, hopefully he works on speed and/or stability for R7 :D
EDIT: wait mario does look a bit faster now that i look at my bros psp he still has R5 on his

kfish2oo2
July 19th, 2006, 01:55
Hmm niiiiiice. Testing now. Work on speed! Playin Mario is fun and all, but after a while I get cramps from pushing the buttons too hard trying to make him go faster :P

tophead420
July 19th, 2006, 01:58
this is great lol nice work on this and could the rom compatibility list be updatedif its not already

Nasty Nate
July 19th, 2006, 01:59
when i tried bass hunter on R5, the framework said it was runnin at like 115 frames, dows it still do iy on R6

sroon
July 19th, 2006, 02:04
Hey drew! I like your pic!
anyways there isnt too much dif with the release!

SpacemanSpiff
July 19th, 2006, 02:05
Mario 64 crashed when entering Princess Peach's Secret slide, EEPROM save not working.

Edit: Seems EEPROM save is working now. But it still crashes sometimes when entering or exiting a course.

V3N0M
July 19th, 2006, 02:06
Well it seems i'm not the first post. lol But Great job.

shenske37
July 19th, 2006, 02:09
you never dissappoint, this is awsome! Its looking great, the c buttons help so very much!

maybe if i find the time i'll beat mario 64 and see how the textures hold up

keep up the great work

danknugz
July 19th, 2006, 02:12
goldeneye, wont load
mario golf- intro screens then lockup
a bugs life- wont load
mario cart 64-loads, menus run smooth,almost a full lap at near half speed, then crashes psp.
mario party3: wont load, crashes psp
mario story: wont load
south park rally:loads...locks up at credit screen
starcraft 64 : wont load,unusable exeption
mario 64 loads...seems real smooth 6-7 fps, about 5/8th normal speed, i;d say, its fun just bouncing around in slomo lol
smash bros loads, loda of clipping and texture errors,intro loads at 20fps?!? but wont start
wipeout 64:wont load

no sound yet?

is there any way to exit a rom without restarting daedelus?
well, one game almost works!
thanks!

Nasty Nate
July 19th, 2006, 02:26
§weet, havent got it to work yet, but §weet

wow, ive been playin for a while and the textures havent gone beserk

mistry121
July 19th, 2006, 02:38
thanks

remansano
July 19th, 2006, 02:45
Danknugz, probably more games work... you've choosed only the big ones with a lot of graphics and so on...

Thank you StrmnNrmn
Please, if u ever read this... I'm sure improving speed is the hardest thing to do, but I'm sure it's also the most wanted improvement.

csd-san
July 19th, 2006, 02:45
Here's what I found, described to the best of my ability. I tried a few racing games.

San Francisco Rush - About 5 frames per second, in game. Menus are fast, but the text isn't readable. Texture glitches are everywhere and the cars only show solid colors with simple geometry. Tire smoke is purple/pink with black checkers. Playable though :)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/1b6562a9.png

Rush 2 - Graphics look a bit better ingame than San Francisco Rush, but froze during start countdown ("3, 2, 1, Rush!")

California Speed - Intro plays well, aside from bad textures and at ~20fps. Then freezes before menu loads.

Cruis'n World - Sits at "Eurocom" logo for 2 minutes. Didn't bother waiting past that. 2fps.

Excite Bike 64 - Doesn't even boot.

FZero X - Takes over 2 minutes to boot. Intro framerate and menu around 20 to 30fps, then doesn't seem to get any further.

Monster Truck Madness - Gets to menu with gameplay in background, then froze while browsing different options and my PSP turned off. 5fps. Same thing happened attempting to get further than vehicle selection screen. Vehicles have decent textures in secection screen, but other then that it's a complete mess.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/c188fbd6.png

Ridge Racer 64 - Intro logos at 40 fps. Gets to "Save Data Corrupt" screen at 20 fps then freezes.

Anger
July 19th, 2006, 02:47
cruisin world locks at eurocom screen.
carmageddon 64 locks at carmageddon 64 press start screen.
destruction derby 64 very slow load, slight graphical corruption at intro crashes upon choosing to start a game
ridge racer 64 seems to lock after corrupt data screen.

hope this is of use to some. :D

EDIT: doh got beaten to it slightly :P

mavsman4457
July 19th, 2006, 03:02
Mario Party - Runs slowly for the intro then crashes mid-intro
Mario Tennis - During intro purple flashes come up then it crashes before the main menu

YourStillWithMe
July 19th, 2006, 03:03
i hope that in the future this build will become a heck of a lot better i would suggest to try to get the sound thrown in there for one big reason-you can get a sense of how the emulator will react once you do throw sound in there and how bad the frame rate will come out because lets say you work on speed then work on sound you may have to recompile the whole thing. You are however, doing the impossible. Good luck and take your time my friend. Great release! (if you get this working I will NEVER upgrade either one of my 1.50 psp's!)

PSPegasus
July 19th, 2006, 03:22
Nice to see the C-Buttons finally made it in! The camera on Mario 64 was driving me nuts before :P. But I think the major focus for R7 should be speed. I'd love to be able to play a small fraction of the N64 roms out there at near full speed (between 20-30fps in all areas) in the near future than wait for months (possibly years) until the emulator's compatible with all roms and THEN runs at full speed.
But great job on R6! Keep it up.

emuking
July 19th, 2006, 03:29
mario runs smoother yay

LAMPRO
July 19th, 2006, 03:37
Just to give you an idea of how influential this project is, I did some research here at dcemu to see which news thread was the most popular-

reigning in at number 1, with over 60,000 views, nearly 18,000 more views than the second most, the number 1 most viewed thread is...

daedalus.

bottom line, this emu is the most wanted and hunted emu for the psp.

amazing work strmnnrmn.. you should be knighted by the shadowprophet and king wraggy.

keep up the hustle and grind. tinker tinker my friend, tinker tinker. there will be more versions and there will be more breakthroughs. Do not stop until all is fully emulated at full speed, full sound, full emu.

Let it do wut it do baby!!

nmkrapper
July 19th, 2006, 03:45
Yeah man U'r great !
Everybody related to PSP homebrew talks about you !
I do hope you'll concentrate on significal speed increase in R7.

Lot's of love and respect to Strmnnrmn !

sgamemu22
July 19th, 2006, 03:48
great work strmnnrmn. i too would like to suggest speed improvements for the R7 release at least with mario 64

flyer
July 19th, 2006, 03:49
hey thank you and the best is the speed

I wrote this song a long long time ago

2pac rest in peace

he will

lol

csd-san
July 19th, 2006, 03:53
Tried Rush 2 again, didn't freeze. I got between 5 to 7fps depending on if Tesselate Large Tris is on or off.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0002.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0003.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0004.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0005.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0006.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0007.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0008.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0009.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0010.png
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/csd-san/sd0011.png

Doesn't look too bad. I hope you guys don't mind the screenshots..?

noob27
July 19th, 2006, 03:56
Does it work good? cuz i'm trying it now

Briggzy11
July 19th, 2006, 04:06
Its fantastic and yes there is a improvement on Mario, Reasons for this is because the daedalus uses mario as a template I think, just to tell everybody I tried resident evil 2 haha and I think you can guess the result for that rom, I doubt it will ever work because of its size, either way another great release of this fine emulator and closer to a fine homebrew emulator. Forget the PSX emulator and the xbox 360 emulator (Yeh im taking the mickey lol) this is the future for homebrew gamers :D:D:D:D:D:D

QUICK EDIT:-

Something I discovered on Mario 64, Jump into the stream of water outside of Peaches castle and get out where the current stops you, walk to the trees nearby where you get out and the speed is incredible there almost proper speed, as soon as you leave that area though the speed decreases again :( Just thought Id tell you all anyway :D

satty
July 19th, 2006, 04:28
I'm very excited (!!!) for future releases. I agree the speed of at least mario 64 should be focused on. 1 game runnign at near full speed will show the potential for N64 emu on psp. While, neat, sofar games aren't really playable and it still seems more like a concept than a working emu. If mario worked, it would be a program loaded and kept on psp's instead of (im sure) loaded and deleted after checking it out. Seeing 3d renders is entertaining once, but playing mario 64 will ALWAYS be entertaining.
BTW, the screenshots are awesome, I wish more people posted screenshots for everything.

lopezc
July 19th, 2006, 04:30
Graphics look better, and Mario 64 runs a bit faster.Keep up the good work but in R7 please work on speed as every one is looking forward to that!!!

Briggzy11
July 19th, 2006, 04:33
Hang on let me get a screenshot of the area in mario where the game seems to be faster :D

calebg
July 19th, 2006, 04:35
did psmonkey give up cause strmnnrmn is better and he gave the job to him

Briggzy11
July 19th, 2006, 04:38
Here is a screenshot of the area in Mario 64 that seems to make the game slightly faster :D

Also the swimming has a slight speed improvement too :D

Hope them screenshots help you find the best areas anyway :D

Monkey64 is still going strong apparantly, so dont worry about that I think it will get just as good as this fine emulator too :D

NOTICE:--

That I have a star as well :D yes I managed complete a whole level its unbelievable haha :D:D:D

lopezc
July 19th, 2006, 04:42
one more thing Mario Kart 64 is running pretty good its actualy playable!!!

BL4Z3D247
July 19th, 2006, 04:58
hey Briggzy11 how do u take screenshots again? i forgot u can take screenshots :D

Briggzy11
July 19th, 2006, 05:16
yeh press select and then when the game pauses, just press Square and thats it as soon as you resume it'll take a screenshot, it should take about 1 minute to save as well :D

BL4Z3D247
July 19th, 2006, 05:26
ok cool, thanx

felonyr301
July 19th, 2006, 05:45
yea its here time to see how zelda is even though i know it aint really improved in speed but you never know lol.brb

SuperNovaBova
July 19th, 2006, 05:56
AWESOME!!! Keep up the Amazing work!
And speed increase would be great for R7

Shadowblind
July 19th, 2006, 05:58
Speed and more speed and graphics would be the best call for R7

stotheamuel
July 19th, 2006, 06:02
hey thank you and the best is the speed

I wrote this song a long long time ago

2pac rest in peace

he will

lol

HAHA look at my sig

and to all the people who keep saying work on the speed.. i think he knows what hes doing.. lol

JD/
July 19th, 2006, 06:07
This new n64 emu for psp is awesome R5 pails in comparison to this :D . R7 should be able to crack down on those graphical errors and maybe implement sound with higher frame speeds. after that its just compatibility keep up the good work. ^_^

Edit: I think in R7 you should include the sound first because it might affect frame speed :p

kayhanbakid
July 19th, 2006, 06:47
I just want to say that I don't really care to much about sound on most games. I am almost always listening to something else while I'm playing something. I find the sound in most games just repetitive music that I get tired of or annoyed fairly quickly. Unless it's a video with actual words being spoken, I don't really care to hear it. Plus, I've already listen to and got tired of the sound when I played these games on N64.

Sure sound would be nice but I just don't think there's any way this emulator will run smoothly with sound. Most games in the SNES emulator don't run smoothly with sound even with the sound in the media engine. So I would say speed and random crashes would be more useful to work on right now.

Just my opinion.

BTW, great job. I just tested Mario Kart and it is very playable. AMAZING JOB!!! If it just didn't crash often it would be pretty much what I dreamed of for N64 on the PSP. You can get through some races in time trial mode. Although it's not perfect, this is the first version that I will keep on my memory card.

Thank you!!

SnoopKatt
July 19th, 2006, 06:47
Quite an improvement, I like it :)

And I guess I would recommend to work on the speed and compatibiliy.

felonyr301
July 19th, 2006, 07:02
no sound maybe on some games but playing zelda without sound just doesnt cut it one of the best parts is the sounds of the game its like driving an rx-7 without hearing the sound it would be like driving any light car (rx-7-rotary engine best unique sounding engine)

BrooksyX
July 19th, 2006, 07:25
I would say speed would be a good thing to work on first.
But Honestly I think stability and a little bit more compatibility should also be worked on first, not a whole bunch, but enough to keep the emu from crashing a lot. What good is a fast emu going to be if it crashes every 3~5 min.

BL4Z3D247
July 19th, 2006, 07:52
I would say speed would be a good thing to work on first.
But Honestly I think stability and a little bit more compatibility should also be worked on first, not a whole bunch, but enough to keep the emu from crashing a lot. What good is a fast emu going to be if it crashes every 3~5 min.
i totally agree, speed and stability are key right now IMO

m0dm0use
July 19th, 2006, 08:20
Hey nice work its going real well, but if you've got mario kart working at playable speed tell us the exact rom name your using as differnt region roms will work better than others.

mr_nick666
July 19th, 2006, 08:49
This new n64 emu for psp is awesome R5 pails in comparison to this :D . R7 should be able to crack down on those graphical errors and maybe implement sound with higher frame speeds. after that its just compatibility keep up the good work. ^_^

Edit: I think in R7 you should include the sound first because it might affect frame speed :p

Firstly - Great release! :D I agree with JD though.. If there is going to be sound it would be good to try it now to see how it affects the overall speed :eek: Most people want it to run faster dont they!? :confused:

Baboon
July 19th, 2006, 08:51
I haven’t tried this yet cause I’m in work, but this looks very promising! :)

I aint bothered at all about sound, it doesnt really effect the game play. Getting the game running at a decent speed has got to be the priority for the next release of this great emulator (good luck).

PSPegasus
July 19th, 2006, 10:09
Just thought I'd post here again and let you guys know that I have been able to play Zelda Ocarina of Time!! It runs really, REALLY slowly but it doesn't crash or freeze like it used to (i've run it a few times and it only crashed back to the Daedalus menu once). There's a number of weird glitches, like the text being wrong (eg. you enter your name as LINK and when you reload the emulator it's REBE or something) and the house interiors textures don't show up, but otherwise it looks and works great!

Gazz021
July 19th, 2006, 10:09
just tried it with Mario64,very promising.can't wait for next update.

Uruz 6
July 19th, 2006, 10:38
Going to try it later..
Anyway I would go for SPEED over graphics and sound.

Kramer
July 19th, 2006, 11:08
this emuator is making some great progress just played mario kart at 15fps

heres my screeny of mario
http://i1.tinypic.com/20gbgj6.png
mario baked

heres a good screenshot of mario kart
http://i1.tinypic.com/20gbm15.png

Briggzy11
July 19th, 2006, 11:50
this emuator is making some great progress just played mario kart at 15fps

heres my screeny of mario
http://i1.tinypic.com/20gbgj6.png
mario baked

heres a good screenshot of mario kart
http://i1.tinypic.com/20gbm15.png

Hahahahahaha thats fantastic I definately want that haha :D

teh21337
July 19th, 2006, 11:57
is this emu also compatible for fw2.5?

R4mbo
July 19th, 2006, 11:58
This is really good work. This are good news, hope you continue your development. I think you should continue with speed.

yamaneko
July 19th, 2006, 12:16
which fps this run ?

Briggzy11
July 19th, 2006, 12:39
This emulator will work with all firmware (Apart from 2.71 of course) however I do think that soon strnmnnmn will concentrate on making the daedalus for firmware 1.5 only because of the different code he czn use to run the emulator, apparantly ZX-81 has taken the 1.5 route with his GBA emulator as its the best way.

I hope that is not the case anyway because I know that 2.XX users enjoy using this emulator as anybody else :D

Video_freak
July 19th, 2006, 13:19
indeed kernal mode speeds things up quite a bit. it would be nice for Daedalus. maybe for r7? :rolleyes:

Facetags
July 19th, 2006, 13:50
Thanks so much StrmmNrmm - you are a gift to homebrew the homebrew scene. :D

Malksta
July 19th, 2006, 14:16
on Mario 64 this seems like a very playable area

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5746/sd0000wa0.png

13 - 17 fps

Accordion
July 19th, 2006, 15:20
the courtyard through the door at the end goes even faster, i got up to 19.5 fps in the R5 version!!!

D0N
July 19th, 2006, 15:37
Woot! Great work StrmnNrmn! Nice to see a new update. Keep it up!

despoteuodia
July 19th, 2006, 16:14
wow this is great, keep up the good work:)
of cource because of this i will blame your for distracting me, SCAPE GOAT!!!!:rolleyes:
just kidding:D

despoteuodia
July 19th, 2006, 16:16
This emulator will work with all firmware (Apart from 2.71 of course) however I do think that soon strnmnnmn will concentrate on making the daedalus for firmware 1.5 only because of the different code he czn use to run the emulator, apparantly ZX-81 has taken the 1.5 route with his GBA emulator as its the best way.

I hope that is not the case anyway because I know that 2.XX users enjoy using this emulator as anybody else :D
couldnt 2.xx users downgrade and use dev hook???:confused: that way they could have their 2.xx and 1.5 too?

Mr.Denny
July 19th, 2006, 16:35
couldnt 2.xx users downgrade and use dev hook???:confused: that way they could have their 2.xx and 1.5 too?

Indeed, but some users (like me) don`t want to encounter any risks during those kind of processes. I`m tech savy but not that much. ;)

I like the way my PSP is as it is, i don`t want a 1.5.

Also, fantastic job on the emulator!! :D

Zelda looks very promising! Slow but very promising.

SpacemanSpiff
July 19th, 2006, 17:10
So Zelda doesn't crash anymore when you bring up the pause menu? I remember when Zelda was first playable with R4 I spent like an hour playing at 2 fps just to get the sword, and then when I went to equip it it crashed on me :(

Mr.Denny
July 19th, 2006, 17:17
Well i didn`t pause it but i got into the Kokiri (?) village for a little ramble about. :P

NeoXCS
July 19th, 2006, 18:15
Yay, every new release makes me a little less dead inside! You're saving my life! :p Seriously though good job on this emulator, it's amazing! Good luck on future releases! :D

telnaur
July 19th, 2006, 19:25
Thank you so much for this release!
one of my favorite homebrews...
SPEED would be what I look forward to the most

salomon st
July 19th, 2006, 20:30
how is the fps on zelda?

Jonesyxxiv
July 19th, 2006, 20:40
I have Two Stars saved in Mario, and I finished a time trial race in Mario Kart(it froze right after). But those are the only games out of about 30 that have worked for me.

Nasty Nate
July 19th, 2006, 20:58
ive got like 3-4 stars i cant remember, im tryin to beat it, you can beat it with only 16 stars, so im gonna try §weet

salomon st
July 19th, 2006, 21:00
like the mario ninja style on youtube this guy beat the whole thing in like 16 mins

Exoskeletor
July 19th, 2006, 21:30
in this version do we have sound?

dthpsc
July 19th, 2006, 22:00
These are all quite broad areas, but it would be good to get a feeling for what people are most interested in seeing improved. Any comments would be most appreciated.

-StrmnNrmn

Speed all the way :)... would definitely be the highest priority in my book.

Sound would be the lowest priority for me. I think some people tend to forget that without full speed (or emulated full speed) emulation, the sound would almost be unbearable.

And keep up the great work... I mean it this is amazing... who would've thought this was possible?

ACID
July 19th, 2006, 23:02
Man this is sweet.Back from vacation and find this release. Great job

felonyr301
July 19th, 2006, 23:15
speed man speed lol but like the idea of putting in sound now to see how it goes so you know what happens and if you can start coding for 1.5 you will probably gain even more speed by using the ME engine ask the snes guys about it.

Pumped'Up
July 19th, 2006, 23:36
In addition to a speed boost, I wouldn't mind seeing an option to resize the screen. I'd rather play the N64 games at their native 4:3 (1:1) instead of it being stretched wide mode.

Thanks for this fantastic emu and all the hardwork. :)

JD/
July 20th, 2006, 07:03
Ive been tinkering about with all of the classic games on the r6 emulator and most of them work but i noticed that roms that have a size over 16mb or have a save type over 4mb cant initiate.:eek:

I also found that when i was trying to play games without crashing If i turned off recompilition it would not crash just something i picked up :p. I think that the new emulator should work on compatability of larger roms like conkers bad fur day, implementing sound, more graphical and an interface to select options from such as frame skip, colour, sound etc. similar to the vba PSP emulator.

Good work StrmnNrmn I hope the new release has as much improvement as R6 did in comparison to R5.

Another big thing to add is saving compatability I would like to save the game after i spent ages in the deku tree to get to the boss:D. But i dont know how to save if there is a way could someone please tell me but if there isnt thats just another thing to work on in r7. :p

ACID
July 20th, 2006, 07:29
Any suggestions on what roms are best at this moment.

nmkrapper
July 20th, 2006, 16:35
Hey guys !
I read StrmnNrmn's blog at : http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/

He says that :

For anyone reading this blog with an interest in emulator development, Microsoft have just released their Windows CE device emulator as shared source.

As the post mentions, it includes the source for an ARM -> x86 JIT compiler which makes interesting reading, (take a peek at armcpu.cpp)

Why does he mentions this at his blog ?
Could this help Daedalus 64 emulator progress ?

nmkrapper
July 20th, 2006, 16:37
And something else I forgot:
Qj.net reported that a N64 emu would be released in 14 July using an Ultrahle engine ported from Linux.
Are there any news about this Emu ?
(sorry for off-topic questions)

tsurumaru
July 20th, 2006, 17:10
Hey guys !
I read StrmnNrmn's blog at : http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/

He says that :

For anyone reading this blog with an interest in emulator development, Microsoft have just released their Windows CE device emulator as shared source.

As the post mentions, it includes the source for an ARM -> x86 JIT compiler which makes interesting reading, (take a peek at armcpu.cpp)

Why does he mentions this at his blog ?
Could this help Daedalus 64 emulator progress ?

Well both the PSP and N64 processors are MIPS not ARM chipsets. I think he is just highlighting the release for those interested in emulation in general.
The JIT (Just In Time) emulation method is in itself interesting as it can be one of the most effective means of emulation possible (Laxer3a of SNESTYL fame for example felt that this would be the optimal method for Daedalus to achieve a high level of N64 emulation).

However in its current form the emulator above only allows windows machines to emulate windows ce devices so the direct usefulness to Daedalus is limited.

Cooe14
July 20th, 2006, 21:35
And something else I forgot:
Qj.net reported that a N64 emu would be released in 14 July using an Ultrahle engine ported from Linux.
Are there any news about this Emu ?
(sorry for off-topic questions)
Yeah it's fake.

nmkrapper
July 21st, 2006, 14:23
Shame on QJ.net for posting fake news !
I'm sure they did know that, because they stated these were "exclusive news"

charltonheston
July 22nd, 2006, 00:16
So far the roms which I've got working on my psp using R6 are:
Castlevania - disable dynarec - lots of black & purple
Lylat Wars - disable dynarec - slow but playable and graphically spot on
Mario Kart - enable dynarec - going quite fast now and is more stable than it used to be
Snowboard Kids - enable dynarex - slow but looking good
Spiderman - enable dynarec - a major improvement from R5 (especially with the mapped c buttons) even though there is still a bit of black and purple about you can swing about for quite a while before it crashes.

I'm not sure whether or not Strmnnrmn checks this site but my total admiration to him if he does - this is an awesome project.

GeEkPiE
July 27th, 2006, 00:35
you guy's should see allstartennis99 on daedalus R6 it runs like a dream (practically full speed) and there are no graphical errors what so ever.

i am running psp 1.5 and this game was played with dyna r. :D

pkmaximum
July 27th, 2006, 04:01
I'm waiting on the next release were Strmmmn is talking large speed updates because in my eyes when more fps are added to mario maybe like 5-6 then it will be to a playable extent.

alucard001
July 31st, 2006, 00:18
im waiting for daedakus to support soung, I need sound!

alucard001
July 31st, 2006, 00:19
daedalus i mean sorry

asakura101
August 1st, 2006, 15:50
can someone plz explain this to me? i cant figure out how to get it to work on my psp, when i click on the memory card part in games and click on daedalus it just says corrupt data file

tsurumaru
August 1st, 2006, 16:43
can someone plz explain this to me? i cant figure out how to get it to work on my psp, when i click on the memory card part in games and click on daedalus it just says corrupt data file

We need to know what version of firmware your psp is. Are you using the GTA eloader or do you have a 1.5 firmware PSP?

jak66
August 5th, 2006, 22:24
@asakura: first we need to know your firmware
go to system settings on the xmb then choose system information, if it says;
1.00- use the 1.00 eboot, should work
1.50- use both of the 1.50 eboots (daedalus and saedalus%), should work
1.51/1.52- upgrade to 2.00, no other way
2.00- use tiff loader & 1.00 eboot, or degrade to 1.50
2.00/2.01/2.50/2.60 + GTA- use eboot loader at www.noobz.eu & 1.00 eboot (2.50/2.60 can degrade to 1.50)
2.70/2.71/2.80- sry m8, your out of luck, you can only use flash and official game demos

hope that helped

Now can someone help me

After playin LOZ:OOT (got to deku tree then got bored an switched off) this save file was made, which i guess is sram from file extention, but daedalus doesn't support this yet sow how was it made and why does it appear when LOZ:OOT is loaded (save file called RPEAAAAA in slot one):confused: ...

JD/
August 11th, 2006, 19:25
I had the same problem but I think theeres a problem with r6s save compatability so well have to w8 and see if we can save properly on r7

sbrandyx
August 12th, 2006, 11:27
i never got monkey 64 to work but this works!!!! well done dude:) :) :) :) :) :)

HanTzu
August 14th, 2006, 01:53
I have 2.0 but Im not sure if downgrading to 1.5 will screw up my psp ...will it?

Video_freak
August 14th, 2006, 01:56
Downgrading to 1.5 won't screw it up ;)

Anger
August 14th, 2006, 12:14
as long as your carefull, follow the instructions to the letter and have your charger plugged in at all times you will be fine. the 2.0 to 1.5 downgrade is the safest downgrade there is.

blueorca
July 5th, 2007, 02:11
I guess i'm not a lucky person :( I'm out of luck, not even in real life :/
but are you sure there's no way that 2.81 can use this emu, or the iso games? :( :( I think i'll go cry out

Malksta
July 5th, 2007, 02:20
I guess i'm not a lucky person :( I'm out of luck, not even in real life :/
but are you sure there's no way that 2.81 can use this emu, or the iso games? :( :( I think i'll go cry out

Dude.. alot has happened in 1 YEAR