PDA

View Full Version : Sony Gets Serious On Piracy, Used Game Sales With New PSP SOCOM

wraggster
February 18th, 2010, 00:13
Your used (or torrented) copy of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3, the latest entry in the SOCOM series for the PlayStation Portable, may be missing something: online play.

Sony is taking new measures against rampant piracy of PSP games and discouraging used purchases of the latest portable SOCOM by requiring players to register their copy of the game online. According to a new IGN interview with John Koller, director of hardware marketing at SCEA, you'll need a voucher or a legit digital download of the game to enjoy online multiplayer.

Both of those are included in new retail copies of the UMD version and in games purchased from the PlayStation Store. Those going the used (or stolen) route will need to drop an extra $20 for an "online entitlement" voucher.

Publisher Electronic Arts has taken similar measures recently, offering content for "original purchasers" of Mass Effect 2 and The Saboteur. We suspect Sony and EA won't be the only game makers riding this bandwagon in the near future.

http://kotaku.com/5474128/sony-gets-serious-on-piracy-used-game-sales-with-new-psp-socom

symbal
February 18th, 2010, 00:37
There's nothing wrong with trying to stop piracy it is an admirable cause, but i'll fight to the death for my right to buy used games, so i'll take my treasure and bury it where Xbox marks the spot.

M3wThr33
February 18th, 2010, 01:42
Sucks about the used price, but anything to help piracy is awesome.

Qmark
February 18th, 2010, 02:28
It will do nothing to stop piracy. PSN is already all but locked out in CFW systems as is.
All this really does is point a generic obscene gesture at GameStop.

VampDude
February 18th, 2010, 03:56
The $20, will mean that the game will have a lower trade value. Though if you know how to use eBay, the codes can be obtained for as little as $4.99.

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOCOM-Fireteam-Bravo-3-Multiplayer-Code-PSP-NEW_W0QQitemZ270533264632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3efd0a04f8

danknugz
February 19th, 2010, 16:24
talk about a dick move. this has nothing to do with piracy, its all about getting a cut of those juicy used game sales. but this sucks for the consumer who will be forced to purchase the game twice! thats like Ford selling you a car new, but if you want to buy one used you have to buy the engine from ford again! its BS man, its all about greed. then the reseller has to come down on his prices to compensate it to the buyer, who may as well pay full price for a new game. very slick, sony.

dante221
February 20th, 2010, 09:25
The $20, will mean that the game will have a lower trade value. Though if you know how to use eBay, the codes can be obtained for as little as $4.99.

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOCOM-Fireteam-Bravo-3-Multiplayer-Code-PSP-NEW_W0QQitemZ270533264632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3efd0a04f8

So it seems Sony didn't see that coming, now did they?

kuato
February 21st, 2010, 02:47
Hoop this means they can actualy ban cheaters a bit like