PDA

View Full Version : NJ`s New CPS1 Emulator WIP News

odino
July 19th, 2006, 11:22
NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/index.html) has posted some excellent WIP news over at his site of his latest project for the PSP, A CPS1 Emulator, CPS stands for Capcom Play System which supports some of the best Arcade games ever.

http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/snap/sfzch.png

Our excellent translator b8a has posted what NJ posted on his site:

Originally Posted by NJ
Under Development

CAPCOM CPS1 Emulator for PSP

Development Status:
Video emulation: 50% - row scroll not implemented.
Sound emulation: 10%
Input emulation: 80%
CPU emulation: 80%

As I've achieved my initial goal, I decided to go ahead and post the news.
Everything other than scroll 2's row scroll, screen flip, and rotation (which probably won't be implemented), the video emulation is complete, and everything else is far from ready. SFZ CPS Changer version is also currently working.
It feels like Final Fight and Street Fighter 2 are a little on the slow side.
This is just at the stage where I've just got it working and I haven't made any optimizations yet, but it's guaranteed to get even slower when Row Scroll is implemented.
As for CPS2, the M68000 memory access causes a drastic drop, so I think it'd be pretty challenging to accomplish.
Not to mention that there's not enough memory for most of the games.

Excellent news for the PSP Scene.

Baboon
July 19th, 2006, 11:30
My works internet wont let me on to this link.
Whats it all about?? ...Is super coder NJ gonna sort out mame???

odino
July 19th, 2006, 12:24
Its only a WIP but sound good.

google translation:

Development circumstance
 Video emulation: 50% - row scroll not impremented.
 Sound emulation: 10%

Once because aim was attached, information is increased.
As for video emulation whether row scroll of scroll 2 and the picture flip and revolution (it does not mount,)
Other than generally as for end and other things when still you said. Also SFZ CPS Changer edition once correspondence.
Final Fight and Street Fighter 2 are the feeling whose operation is a little slow.
Temporarily, still optimization has not gone at the stage that, it is moved, when, but it mounts Row Scroll
Furthermore it is secure to become heavy.
Because as for CPS2, the memory access of M68000 decreases substantially, it is rather harsh, is.
Most games are not enough memory, is, die.

Baboon
July 19th, 2006, 12:33
Thats fookin amazing news though if NJ is working on CPS1 emulation!!!!! :)

Mame4all is cool but there hasnt been any updates for quite a while and theres quite a few games that dont work properly... but if NJ is on the case for cps1 emulation then hopefuly there will be regular updates. If his neo geo emulators are anything to go by (hes possibly the hardest working coder around) then he'll soon sort it out for the PSP.

This is great news! :)

b8a
July 19th, 2006, 12:37
Another translation:
Under Development

CAPCOM CPS1 Emulator for PSP

Development Status:
Video emulation: 50% - row scroll not implemented.
Sound emulation: 40%

As I've achieved my initial goal, I decided to go ahead and post the news.
Everything other than scroll 2's row scroll, screen flip, and rotation (which probably won't be implemented) with the video emulation is complete, and everything else is far from ready. SFZ CPS Changer version is also currently working.
It feels like Final Fight and Street Fighter 2 are a little on the slow side.
This is just at the stage where I've just got it working and I haven't made any optimizations yet, but it's guaranteed to get even slower when Row Scroll is implemented.
As for CPS2, the M68000 memory access causes a drastic drop, so I think it'd be pretty challenging to accomplish.

I've updated the sound so that it plays YM2151. When not at 11025Hz, it's too slow to be playable.
OKI6295 is nothing but noise and isn't playing back well. Hmm...

Baboon
July 19th, 2006, 12:47
He’ll soon sort CPS1 out! :)

...and i wouldn’t put it past him to get some stuff running on CPS2 in the not to distant future. He said “As for CPS2, the M68000 memory access causes a drastic drop, so I think it’d be pretty challenging to accomplish”, but that hasn’t stopped him performing miracles already on PSP!

I'd love to see Dungeons & Dragons tower of doom, Pocket fighter, AVP etc working on PSP (maybe im dreaming a bit now).

IDEAL!!!!!:D

odino
July 19th, 2006, 13:08
D&D tod is only 21 mb unzipped... for me its possible :cool:

wraggster
July 19th, 2006, 13:33
hi thanks for posting this, i edited the first post but all help is muchh apprecaited

Video_freak
July 19th, 2006, 13:43
for a second when i read the title i thought it said PS1 emulator :rolleyes: its good that were getting arcade emulators on psp :)

mr_nick666
July 19th, 2006, 13:54
My works internet wont let me on to this link.
Whats it all about?? ...Is super coder NJ gonna sort out mame???

Maybe some of his optimisations could be used to help MAME along?? :) This sounds like a great project though! :D

jwilds73
July 19th, 2006, 14:07
This is going to rock I cant wait to see this progress.

bosanova_x
July 19th, 2006, 14:13
the best news i've heard all day.sf2t hyper fighting any one.nice.

cant wait for nj's power speed updates.

brill.

QueadlunnRau
July 19th, 2006, 14:17
I just punched a hole in my wall in excitement from this news ...

Video_freak
July 19th, 2006, 14:21
I just punched a hole in my wall in excitement from this news ...

did you really or are you just saying that. (you know like the guys that say they crapped their pants when they saw the news but everyone knows they didnt)

Baboon
July 19th, 2006, 14:36
I just did a sex wee with all this excitement! :)

odino
July 19th, 2006, 14:39
hi thanks for posting this, i edited the first post but all help is muchh apprecaited

Thank you for this site ;)

Wow, sound emulation is 40% now!:eek: Nj is a train...:D

chaos-is-me
July 19th, 2006, 14:42
w00p! This is my dream come true! Can't wait til the first release :)

vettacossx
July 19th, 2006, 16:18

omg:eek: omg:eek: omg :eek: i think i just pee'd a lil bit:eek: im so freekin exited:eek: .... I maen just the possability of MARVEL VS CAPCOM is KILLING ME I NEEEEEEED PORTABLE MARVEL VS CAPCOM

Hell it would be worth building ITS OWN EMULATOR SPECIFIC EMULATORS BUILT TO PLAY 1 GAME seems there are about a handfull of gr8 CPS2 games but the cps1/cps2 is more exiting than a N64 for me M vs C is one of my all time FAV FIGHTING GAMES!!!!

thank you
thank you
thank you
thank you
thank you
and did i mention THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for doing this emulator

the day a cps1 and cps2 play on psp is the day i never leave my psp again!!!!!
NICK 666 SAID:

Maybe some of his optimisations could be used to help MAME along?? :) This sounds like a great project though! :D
VETTA SAYS::D

wow gr8 suggestion bro!!!! very very nice bro.....good looking out 2 ;)

Gwimmel
July 19th, 2006, 16:53
wtf, why is there a screenshot of street fighter alpha?
Does this mean that some cps2 games are running? (sad that i know this, i actually have an arcade cabinet with 7 cps2 games and 3 cps1 games.)

Mr. Shizzy
July 19th, 2006, 16:54
Great news. Somebody pinch me and wake me up. Lately the PSP homebrew scene has been like a dream come true!!!

aries2k4
July 19th, 2006, 17:19
This is great news.
If it can be done, NJ´s the man to do it.
Awesome!!

matt2k
July 19th, 2006, 17:41
The picture of Street Fighter Alpha that you see is from the CPS Changer version. Think of it as a CPS 1.5. (The music and sound effects were not as good as the CPS2 version.) There were very few made, and it was like Capcom was trying to make a home version of their arcades, just like what SNK did with Neo Geo.

http://assembler.roarvgm.com/CPS_CHANGER/cps_changer.html

QueadlunnRau
July 19th, 2006, 17:57
did you really or are you just saying that. (you know like the guys that say they crapped their pants when they saw the news but everyone knows they didnt)

Naw did not really do it, I was just saying that ... but whenever I say my pants are wet, that I am not lying about ... weak bladder.

parsifal968
July 19th, 2006, 18:40
THE best PSP coder, no doubt!

when he have the time...
full speed snes
full speed megadrive
a perfect MAME port (rom size under 20MB)
full speed PS1
maybe a full speed GBA

more to come!

Dj.PsP
July 19th, 2006, 21:24
This is just AWESOME!!!!!!! Thats all I can say... speechless.... thats what I am right now..

NoQuarter
July 19th, 2006, 21:48
WOW pretty soon we'll have virtually every emu available on the pc:)

samthegreat68
July 19th, 2006, 22:25
SO IS MARVEL VS CAPCOM GONNA WORK WITH THIS!?!?! like vetta said, that is one of my favs!

dang, im getting the shakes.

Screwie5150
July 19th, 2006, 22:55
Not to sound too noobish... can someone please break down what exactly this is??? I'm a little lost in the translation...

Zombo
July 19th, 2006, 23:11
Hell he might aswell make MAME. >_>

ACID
July 19th, 2006, 23:16
This is great and the way NJ codes we should have a fully working super aw some emu Any time soon. I mean since he releases so Meany new updates and like ZX can go years without sleep.

Pumped'Up
July 19th, 2006, 23:31
ugh.......I thought from looking at the screen shot that this was a CPS-2 emulator...and I almost had a heart attack!!!!!!!

Nice job nevertheless NJ. Mame4all is wonderful emu, but from seeing your other work NJ, this CPS-1 emulator will no doubt be damn fantastic.

Though too bad about the low chances of a working CPS-2 emu. This would be by far the greatest emulator to come for the PSP...imho even better than a PS1 emu.

Can't wait to hear more progress from the dev side NJ! :D

ACID
July 19th, 2006, 23:34
I dont think CPS-2 has been totaly craked till day. But then im not sure.

JollyJoe
July 20th, 2006, 00:35
I dont think CPS-2 has been totaly craked till day. But then im not sure.

What??? You mean you don't know. Geez,I thought you were the expert.

wilbur
July 20th, 2006, 00:46
This is really incredible.

I really look forward to see what happens in the coming weeks. I'm not gonna get too many hopes up though.

It just seems like the PSP hasn't got quite enough grey matter to handle CPS2 games, no matter how good the coder is (although i'm dying to be proved wrong).

Seeing as the Neo geo was stunted in it's latter stages, getting later Capcom games running is very unlikely i think.

So sad as i can't think of a better portable screen to drool over those arcade classics

JollyJoe
July 20th, 2006, 00:49
This is really incredible.

I really look forward to see what happens in the coming weeks. I'm not gonna get too many hopes up though.

It just seems like the PSP hasn't got quite enough grey matter to handle CPS2 games, no matter how good the coder is (although i'm dying to be proved wrong).

Seeing as the Neo geo was stunted in it's latter stages, getting later Capcom games running is very unlikely i think.

So sad as i can't think of a better portable screen to drool over those arcade classics

All of the CPS2 games are probably gonna end up getting released on Capcom Classics before long anyway.

wilbur
July 20th, 2006, 01:02
Yeah, that's right. i think it 'd be a good move to release real arcade classics like Dungeons and dragons/golden axe 3 on umd. as long as they were a bit budget and there were more than a couple on each disc.

not quite the same freedom (in more ways than 1) as emulators though. i've kinda given up on psp comercial games at the mo. i resent having to pay so much when there;s a risk the game wont be up to scratch.

anyway, sleepy eyes. signing out

shinysuitman
July 20th, 2006, 01:13
man.. NJ really has read my mind as far as what projects to work on. i like the neogeo cd emu, but having the MVS version is completely rock awesome. playing the arcade classics at home has always been one of my fav programs on my computer and now its mobile!

but back to the original topic, this looks like it has the stuff of gods written all over it. keep it up and i cant wait to use your work.

and i agree wilbur, too much risk for something that could flop easily

samthegreat68
July 20th, 2006, 01:19
nevermind about before.. i did some research and it appears all the good games are cps2. but still this is probally just a warm-up for the great NJ

emuking
July 20th, 2006, 01:29
MARVEL VS CAPCOM MARVEL VS CAPCOM MARVEL VS CAPCOM MARVE VS C APCOM MARVEL VS CAPCOM
:D :D :D :D :D ! ! ! ! ! ! yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :D

mameuser
July 20th, 2006, 02:36
X-men vs Street fighter

mameuser
July 20th, 2006, 02:43
http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/snap/sfzch.png

I like the image Street Fighter Zero (Japan CPS Changer)

mameuser
July 20th, 2006, 02:52
CPS-2 Specifications
Main CPU: Motorola 68000 @ 11.8 MHz
Sound CPU: ZiLOG Z80 @ 8 MHz
Sound Chips: Q-Sound @ 4 MHz
Color Palette: 32 bit
Total On Screen Colors: 4096
Colors per Tile: 16 (4 bits per pixel)
Object Number : 900 (16 x 16 pixels)
Scroll Faces : 3
Resolution : 384 x 224

Not a problem to emulate

oninotsume
July 20th, 2006, 02:57
I've been waiting for this ever since emulation on the PSP was first announced!

Capcom defined the arcade experience all throughout the 80's and 90's.

In my rudimentary understanding the NeoGeo and the CPS boards both use a motorolla M68 chip, so I have really been hoping NJ would move his programming talents in this direction.:D

Even if CPS2 runs like NJ's NGEPSP running sprite graphics off the memory stick stuttering here and there, I'm totally cool with that. Everything doesn't have to be perfect NJ.

Damn the PSP is such a sweet little machine.
Tons of great emus, and now we're finally getting gereat UMDs like Tekken and Ghouls and Ghosts.

Oh yeah, and as far as I know CPS2 is decrypted. It's CPS3 that's never been decrypted.

pkmaximum
July 20th, 2006, 05:01
Wow this emulator sounds like nothing but good news, but I have to say I have been looking over the specs for cps-2 and I don't really understand on why it would not be able to be emulated on the PSP. But great work NJ ^_^ I have to say though there is just one feature I wish you always added to at least one of your emulators, and that is multiplayer support I wanted to play Metal Slug multiplayer with my m8s a lot but I can only hope and dream right =P

Dj.PsP
July 20th, 2006, 09:39
Oh yeah, and as far as I know CPS2 is decrypted. It's CPS3 that's never been decrypted.

Thats totally right ;)

ACID
July 20th, 2006, 09:45
Thats totally right ;)
I was just checking on that. Your right its CPS3 not decrypted.CPS2 is and mameuser was nice enogh to give the correct specs. he beat me to it.
But ther is no CPS2 emu for any counsil at the moment. Unless mi recolection is wrong.:D

matt2k
July 20th, 2006, 10:57
There is no CPS2 specific emu. Just multi-arcade emus that support CPS2 games.

MAME (everything)
Nebula (Neo Geo, CPS1, CPS2, crystal board)
Kawaks (Neo Geo, CPS1, CPS2)
Final Burn (Neo Geo, CPS1, CPS2, other random drivers)

mameuser
July 20th, 2006, 11:56
There is CPS2 specific emu.

1: Calice (Discontinue)
2: ACE (Discontinue)
3: CPSE (Discontinue)
4: more+

wilbur
July 20th, 2006, 12:04
ooooh, don't get my hopes up guys. it'd be a dream to run a CPS2 on the PSP. i'm getting clammy just thinking about it.

Perhaps as there is no actual CPS2 emu for NJ to port, building it up might dig up some real gold.

Forgive me though, i'm not familiar with coding in the slightest so my understanding of all this encrypting/decrypting, CPU, free memory or whatever is very foggy.

I'm just one of the hungry wolves that chews on the kill at the end.

wilbur
July 20th, 2006, 12:06
aha mameuser, i wrote that while you were writing yours- so there does appear to be these emus in existence

ACID
July 20th, 2006, 12:17
There is CPS2 specific emu.

1: Calice (Discontinue)
2: ACE (Discontinue)
3: CPSE (Discontinue)
4: more+
Ones again you are correct but im sure you know there is a reason other then Capcom why they all have been discontinued and it is because none of thous CPS2 emus ran at even 50fps

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 20th, 2006, 15:28
Weres the DL link ????

BENQ32X
July 20th, 2006, 17:22
Post The Files

oninotsume
July 21st, 2006, 03:06
It's not ready for release yet. The author was just posting the fact that he is working on it at the moment.

Also, I took a look at his homepage, and regarding CPS2 he says that access to system memory drops dramatically when compared to CPS1, that's why it's so hard to emulate for.

Still if anyone can do it, it's NJ.

angel88
July 22nd, 2006, 22:08
great job!!!!!! this kind of projects really make a difference. thanks for the great job

grit
July 23rd, 2006, 14:16
Alpha 1 is out now! And Rocks!!

Way to go NJ!!

Pumped'Up
July 23rd, 2006, 15:06
THANKS NJ!!!!!!

CPS1PSP ROCKS!! and this is only the ALPHA release!!!

WOW unbelievable, right up there at the top of the list of best emulators...this really has made my day. :D

Here's the link (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/index.html)to NJ's site.

Baboon
July 23rd, 2006, 16:46
This emu is great news! :)

Street fighter 2 works really well with this already! :)

Thanks very much NJ for making my weekend! :)

Cho Aniki
July 23rd, 2006, 17:29
First version and the emu is already almost more or less perfect , I tried the whole cps1 romset and maybe tops 3-5 or so games didnt boot at all , the rest worked fine.

Pumped'Up
July 23rd, 2006, 18:03
Qustion - once you select a rom is there a way to get back to the menu/rom selection screen?

Baboon
July 23rd, 2006, 18:33
Qustion - once you select a rom is there a way to get back to the menu/rom selection screen?

Hold L, R, start and select and it goes back to the games menu. :D

Top emulator!

Baboon
July 23rd, 2006, 19:06
Most games do work. The only games im having trouble with are:

Warriors of Fate (loads rom then screen goes black)
Varth (Loads then screen goes black)
Willow (loads then goes black)
Magic Sword (errors before loading)
Super Slam Masters (Screen goes black).

Every other CPS1 game I've tried works (SF2, Megaman, Final Fight, Strider, Knights of the round etc etc).

I like it when you select full screen on Mercs and 1941 cause it rotates the screen round so the psp is on its side... basicaly the same as the capcom generations game that was released a while ago.

Coolio! :)