PDA

View Full Version : Consoles waste GBP 70 million of energy every year - report

wraggster
July 20th, 2006, 14:23
A British government energy review due out this week will claim that videogames consoles are responsible for GBP 70 million of wasted energy each year, according to The Times newspaper.

The report will highlight what has been widely known for some time - that consumer electronics devices are increasingly leaking energy at an alarming rate while in standby mode.

Last month, a group of bloggers in the United States reported that while the original PlayStation leaked just 0.2W - accounting for some 1.752kWh wasted each year - the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 2 both leak a massive 2W, or 17.52kWh each year.

The energy review proposes a number of measures to minimise energy waste, including working with electronics companies to phase out costly standby routines that drain energy while the device is not in use.

The review document is emerging in a politically charged atmosphere, with the debate over Britain's future energy generation and usage intensifying greatly in recent weeks due to controversial plans to build new nuclear power stations.

As a result, the findings of the review are likely to be taken very seriously - but at present, the review remains just that, and there has been no indication of which, if any, of its findings are likely to be incorporated into future legislation.

Even if the suggestion on standby modes is eventually phased into law in the UK, it's unlikely that this would happen for several years - meaning that none of the new generation of consoles would be affected by the law, although the manufacturers may choose to voluntarily modify their hardware in order to bring it in line with the energy review's recommendations
via GIBiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18441)

tophead420
July 20th, 2006, 14:35
whoa thats crazy

shadowprophet
July 20th, 2006, 14:50
In whos opinion is this power (waisted)?!
Good grief that sounds like a whole lot of power. But given the fact that much more energy is waisted in even more frivolous activities:mad: Hell I say cut the power to George Bush an Six Flags theme park ~an Poof problem solved :cool:

Cosmic3K
July 20th, 2006, 14:51
Is it really that hard for people to just switch off their consoles at the plug socket when they're not in use? :confused:

Takean
July 20th, 2006, 15:07
That may be true, but politicians waste plenty more tax dollars (enough to compensate this energy use), put more wasted wet sloppy kisses on babies (during campaign running), pollute more ozone (airline flight travel), and just being a notch above lawyers on the food chain of likability, that I can't even begin to think 70 million energy units is much to worry about..lol. Someone wake up Jack Thompson (Hitler v2.0)..I'm sure he could use this attack against us gamers too.

Xiofire
July 20th, 2006, 20:58
Its not 'wasted' at all, swines!
lol
-Xiofire

eurogba
July 21st, 2006, 00:25
that little red led means "i`m on + connected" ..

Is'lan
July 21st, 2006, 02:42
Y'see, that's why I don't leave things in standby mode, ain't that right my precious ps2? ...huh? what the- you mean I left this on all this time?!?!

Video_freak
July 25th, 2006, 13:45
In whos opinion is this power (waisted)?!
Good grief that sounds like a whole lot of power. But given the fact that much more energy is waisted in even more frivolous activities:mad: Hell I say cut the power to George Bush an Six Flags theme park ~an Poof problem solved :cool:
EXACTLY, and also all those businesses that leave the lights on throughout their whole buildings even though no one is inside them

Hawkeyefile
July 31st, 2006, 17:43
then build another nuclear power plant (or 6, it works for france).

Video_freak
July 31st, 2006, 18:33
then build another nuclear power plant (or 6, it works for france).
your right, it does. but they're now working on using the sun's energy for future generations

Hawkeyefile
July 31st, 2006, 22:53
the sun does not put out enough power.

Hungry Horace
July 31st, 2006, 23:32
the sun does not put out enough power.

errr... no, it puts out plenty.

we just arent very efficient at harnessing it.