PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Exploit Tidbits

wraggster
February 24th, 2010, 19:18
News via http://xorloser.com/?p=230

I haven’t gotten around to doing an update in a while due to work (and a little relaxation) taking all my time. Rather than wait till I have finished all of the stuff I wanted to before posting again I decided to post some tidbits to tide you over until the rest is ready. Before I do so I’d like to make the following clear as no matter how many times I say it, people believe what they want to believe instead:

THIS PS3 EXPLOIT WILL NOT ENABLE PLAYING OF COPIED OR BACKED UP GAMES. THE EXPLOIT IS FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY.

It seems someone took some initiative and made some software themselves to dump the hypervisor once they have the correct hardware and software. So for anyone who has used that and dumped their own hypervisor I present this PS3 HV Dump setup script for IDA.This script will setup function tables including the hypercall (syscall) table, mmcall table, OPD, TOC, GOT. It will find common functions such as puts and printf and very importantly it will fixup all rtoc references which are used to access global variables and strings.

To use the script you should extract it somewhere and then from within IDA select “File->IDC File…”, then navigate to where you extracted the file and select it. Please note that this script could overwrite your previous work, so please run backup your idb/i64 file before running it. I recommend running it on a freshly created database by loading your hypervisor dump into IDA as “ppc” at ROM address 0 and then running this script as detailed above before doing anything else.

The other tidbit I wanted to share was the updates to the PPC Altivec plugin source code which I had forgotten to include in the recent releases, but which a few people have since asked for. Here is the PPC Altivec plugin v1.6 for IDA v5.6 with sourcecode. If anyone makes any fixes or adds support for new functions please pass these updates back to me so I can share them on this site.