PDA

View Full Version : Datels 4GB Hard Drive vs Sandisks 4GB Memory Stick - Which is Best

wraggster
July 20th, 2006, 23:45
The recent price drop of Datels 4GB Hard Drive (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=8735&lsaid=219793)to $99 and the Sandisk Memory Card (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_SanDisk_Memory_Stick_Pro_Duo_4GB_w__Adapt or.html?aff_id=24)down to $147 has brought bigger storage down to a much more affordable price, last i remember Sonys 4GB option was to be released with a $220 price.

So you have the 2 Storage Options above, the Sandisk Memory Card is 47 dollars more expensive but fits in the PSP and doesnt add any weight or dimensions to the PSP and from reports writes faster and is better for movies.

The 4GB Datel Drive breaks the 100$ barrier which is around £54 but it is bulkier and theres reports of stutters in movies.

OK taking the 2 Storage Options in and the price, size and compat problems etc, Which is the best Storage Option for the PSP ?

Jonesyxxiv
July 20th, 2006, 23:55
Id vote for the Memory card.

Xiofire
July 21st, 2006, 00:00
For faster transfer speeds, loading and for portability, i say the Memory Stick, but for price, the HDD is the better choice. Its up to the buyer to be honest. Overall the card is better.
-Xiofire

Voltron
July 21st, 2006, 00:27
The BEST choice hands down is:

4GB SanDisk Ultra II PRO Duo

Sure they are a little more expensive. But the performance, speed, reliability, compatiblity, compact size, & more make it well worth it.

I could never tarnish the good looks of my PSP with an EXTERNAL HDD.

If there is ever an EXTERNAL storage solution that holds 20+ GB and you could load all homebrew, videos, mp3's etc. off of it in real-time, I would get something external. But not for 4GB.

shenske37
July 21st, 2006, 01:00
100% memory stick!

the external drive is not very durable and the transfer cable seems to break very easy.

the memory stick is smaller and no so bulky + it is so much faster.

fistikuffs
July 21st, 2006, 01:11
The mem stick hands down! Keep your psp nice and slick!!

Broonale
July 21st, 2006, 01:23
The stick is $48 more :D

But it is worth it!

felonyr301
July 21st, 2006, 01:39
personally the stick you wont regret it but the idea of having something like over 20 gigs and its in "real time" then yes to external but other than that nope ill take my stick.

Psychondrius
July 21st, 2006, 02:08
I would agree it would have to be the stick, as I would prefer my PSP to fit more easily into my pocket.

pspfan
July 21st, 2006, 02:18
MS no doubt. The HD is reported to not work with many things.

FOL
July 21st, 2006, 02:21
I have a 4GB HD and 4GB MS, the Sandisk is so much faster.

DenofLions
July 21st, 2006, 02:42
I say take the sandisk, I had a datel 4gb HD for about a month and a half before it completely stopped functioning. Not to mention the slow loading times on the Hd (using the Eloader took forever to get the homebrew list to come up) and it being so bulky makes it impossible to fit in your pockets. (unless ofcourse you have extremely large pockets or a Hoodie with a front pocket =/)

motormaniac
July 21st, 2006, 03:35
I'd would go wit hthe Memory Stick. But i would proballl\y never use 4 gigs worth of stuff, so if it were me i would buy the 2 gig if i had the money

jwilds73
July 21st, 2006, 04:18
Even if the HD was $50 dollars I wouldn't buy one its to big and bulky.

MaxSMoke
July 21st, 2006, 05:31
Memory Card.

eLAy12
July 21st, 2006, 06:45
There is really no contest. The MS is clearly better than the HD. The only reason the MS is more expensive is because Datel new it was better and lowered the price of the HD just so it could sell.

Uruz 6
July 21st, 2006, 07:35
Memory Stick of course. It's faster, more reliable and let the psp keep it's elegance.

Anyway for those guys who speak of a 20Gb HDD I can only say.. you forgot the 4GB limit of our PSPs? unless sony does something about this in it's next firmwares (which would mean UPDATE!!) a 20GB HDD would be useless, and then if you upgraded there would be little to no reason for having such a huge storage capacity since there would be no homebrew.

slayer2psp
July 21st, 2006, 07:47
the ms of course dumb question

Baboon
July 21st, 2006, 08:23
I havent tried the memory card so I cant compare the two.

I've got the datel drive and it serves its purpose well, everything does now work on it (including the killer app Devhook). :)

Datels is quite a bit cheaper, plus the battery pack you get with it lasts twice as long as the normal PSP one, which cant be bad when ur playing games on the go! :)

If (or should I say when?) the HD does die, I'd probably get the memory card seeing as its also dropped in price now.

I've had no probs yet with the HD though, defo one of my best buys from ebay!

mr_nick666
July 21st, 2006, 08:31
Memory Stick of course. It's faster, more reliable and let the psp keep it's elegance.

Anyway for those guys who speak of a 20Gb HDD I can only say.. you forgot the 4GB limit of our PSPs? unless sony does something about this in it's next firmwares (which would mean UPDATE!!) a 20GB HDD would be useless, and then if you upgraded there would be little to no reason for having such a huge storage capacity since there would be no homebrew.

Hopefully the UP Modchip or DEVhook will let us use later firmwares and beat the pesky 4gb limit! :rolleyes:

Anyhow... Memory card wins hands down! :D

Voltron
July 21st, 2006, 09:12
Anyway for those guys who speak of a 20Gb HDD I can only say.. you forgot the 4GB limit of our PSPs? unless sony does something about this in it's next firmwares (which would mean UPDATE!!)

1.) 8GB PRO Duo's are coming!!! Until they are available, we can't do any tests to try and create a workaround to the 4GB limit.

2.) DevHook may save us with this issue in the future.

3.) Custom Firmware! Perhaps with custom firmware, we can set the PSP to have a 60GB limit instead of 4GB, lol. Its just a theory. We shall see what the future holds.

I really think that an external or wireless storage device will be released in the future for the PSP. And I also think the PSP will be able to store content on the PS3 HDD and stream wirelessly. (Good for storing all those PSOne ROMS eh??? lol)

Uruz 6
July 21st, 2006, 09:30
Just to make things clear I AM a homebrew fan and I know that eventually we'll be able to bypass these limitations.. HOWEVER we're not supposed to talk about what MAY happen but about what NOW is the best choice between 4gb MS or a 4GB datel.

ACID
July 21st, 2006, 09:44
I choose the 4gb memory stick. Then again i dont spend more then 4 houers in a row playing the psp. Thats what platforms are for. So no need for the extra battery life. Plus its to bulky.

Baboon
July 21st, 2006, 09:53
I choose the 4gb memory stick. Then again i dont spend more then 4 houers in a row playing the psp. Thats what platforms are for. So no need for the extra battery life. Plus its to bulky.

If your out and about (I travel long distances on trains quite regularly) then you do need a battery that will last a lot longer. I was used to a GBA before I got my PSP and the battery on those machines just goes on and on with out charging.

I agree with you though about it being to bulky though.

ACID
July 21st, 2006, 09:59
Baboon I agree about the GBA mi DS Lite stinks with its battery power. Play a couple of rounds of YU-GI-OH and dead.

tophead420
July 21st, 2006, 12:17
well the memory stict is far better becuz its not at all big a bulky like the HDD faster transfers and iv heard a few cases that the HDD has problems leting you play yuor homebrew and that there is grounds enough to say the memory stick is far better so there fore i say memory stick hands down and imma get a 1 gig mem stick in a few days i would buy the 4 gig but i just barely got the money for a 1 gig plus the 4 gig will be sumtin for me to buy later or maybe sumtin to hint around to people for a b day gift lol

McGiggles
July 21st, 2006, 15:18
100% memory stick!

the external drive is not very durable and the transfer cable seems to break very easy.

the memory stick is smaller and no so bulky + it is so much faster.

I wouldn't say it breaks that easily I've had one for quite awhile and it's taken some abuse (especially around that area) and it still works perfectly! The only problem with 4GB hard drive is that movies do stutter no matter what you do, some homebrew takes like 2X the time to load, and Metal Slug Arcade stutters like a crazy fool (But not on the NeoGeo CDZ emulator at least :P).

So yeah I'd definitely go for the 4GB Sandisk that is sweet! The only advantage the Datel HD has is the 2X battery that is really nice thing to have. :D

Uruz 6
July 21st, 2006, 16:16
Well, as for what concerns batteries, we can still use those extra powerful they sell now (I think I saw something interesting on lik sang, maybe 4800?).

QueadlunnRau
July 22nd, 2006, 17:44
OMG have you all been dropped as children??? C'Mon people the Datel 4GB HD is AWSOME!!!

Seriously, look at what's all going for it!!!

1. It's Bulky - Easier to spot when someone steals ur PSP!
2. It consumes more energy - Yo we need to play less video games anyway!
3. It has moving parts - Without mechanical failure technicians would be out of a job!
4. It’s slower then a MS - Teaches you patience!
5. It’s cheaper – Yo now you can buy 6 more meals at McDonalds!

Now I am gonna get the Sandisk 4GB Ultra II (gotta rob a bank first), but the only reason I am going with that one is because my Uncle works for Choice Luggage which is affiliated with Tumi which is affiliated with Hasbro which has an office near another building affiliated with sandisk... Gotta support the family ya know.