PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo, on Competition (Note to Self: Remember This In Five Years)

wraggster
February 27th, 2010, 00:54
The Wall Street Observer: "Microsoft is working on controller-free gaming technology and Sony is developing a motion controller...Are you worried?" Nintendo's Reggie: "We do not fear any competitor." Me: Well, that settles that.

http://gizmodo.com/5480524/nintendo-on-competition-note-to-self-remember-this-in-five-years

Hypershell
February 28th, 2010, 23:43
The fact that Gizmondo posts that quote on a Gameboy screen is worth a thousand words, if you ask me. People criticize the DS and Wii being the weakest technology on the market as if that's something new for Nintendo, but the original GB reigned for a freaking decade, beating down one technologically superior challenger after another.

It's more than just tech + marketing. It's also about convenience. When you're selling entertainment, you can't have your consumer jumping through too many hoops. GB reigned for as long as it did for its library and its battery life, made a world of difference in the face of systems it could visually never dream of matching. Not that Nintendo hasn't made a few missteps in this generation, they have, but I think they grasp better than their competitors that there's more to it than whose system has the most muscle.